hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: 36 years on.

36 years on.

❤️💛 | 56 stars shine brighter than the rest today.

🙏 | May those tragically lost - on this day 36 years ago - be forever remembered.

#BCAFC https://t.co/V3uYQCzIUS

2. Log in to remove the advert

Shocking event! I can't even think about how horrific that experience would have been.

For those not aware, a fire at Bradford City FC’s Valley Parade ground left 56 people dead and hundreds wounded, many suffering severe burns. The worst fire disaster in English football history played out on live television on May 11, after Valley Parade's main stand caught fire during a match between Bradford City and Lincoln City on May 11, 1985 - I recall watching it on TV. It was described by sports commentator John Helm at the time as a “burning hell” and resulted in the death of 56 people and more than 250 people treated for burns injuries.

If I remember correctly, the fire started after a collection of litter below the timber stand caught fire. In less than five minutes the whole Main Stand was ablaze.

Absolutely shocking!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Just horrific, and something most football fans could relate to in the days of old stands
    It’s one of these moments in your life, you can remember where you were when it happened

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Absolutely horrific. I remember the tv switching to it live as it first started with an air of almost novelty about it but quickly switching back when they actually realised what was happening. The image that sticks with me was people fleeing the intense heat. So intense their hair was smouldering.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shocking event! I can't even think about how horrific that experience would have been.

For those not aware, a fire at Bradford City FC’s Valley Parade ground left 56 people dead and hundreds wounded, many suffering severe burns. The worst fire disaster in English football history played out on live television on May 11, after Valley Parade's main stand caught fire during a match between Bradford City and Lincoln City on May 11, 1985 - I recall watching it on TV. It was described by sports commentator John Helm at the time as a “burning hell” and resulted in the death of 56 people and more than 250 people treated for burns injuries.

If I remember correctly, the fire started after a collection of litter below the timber stand caught fire. In less than five minutes the whole Main Stand was ablaze.

Absolutely shocking!
    Remember watching it as a youngster - the unstoppable speed of it was terrifying and I couldn’t imagine the horror for those involved. After that I was always nervous and on edge in our old main stand as it wasn’t difficult to see how easily fire could take hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

Absolutely shocking!
    It was a discarded cigarette end. Simple as that. The old wooden stand went up like a tinderbox.

@hibs.net private member
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...artin-fletcher

Another view on what happened that day

Quote Originally Posted by MKHIBEE View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...artin-fletcher

Another view on what happened that day
    Jeez that makes your blood run cold.

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure who hibs were playing that day but I remember going back to the hibs club and it was on there screen at the time and as someone said earlier it was a sort of novelty on the TV until we seen lots of people running with flames everywhere, an absolute tragedy that could have happened at most grounds then thankfully stadiums are a lot better now .