hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Right then, you big babies

Oh no! It's St Johnstone! We're never beating them! I wish The Rangers had beaten them in the quarters!

So what? Cut it out!

Whoever won today would have needed to be treated with utmost respect. Respect though, not fear.

The worriers need to do themselves a favour and relax. It'll be tough - it's a Scottish Cup Final after all - but we are winning it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Experience has taught me not to expect us to win, these will be the only hampden trips I've missed in 50 years but I've been quietly confident since the Stranraer game, no reason why we shouldn't beat st. St. Johnstone if we're up for it and the referee manages what are essentially a physical side.

Its st Johnstone we're playing not bloody Brora.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh no! It's St Johnstone! We're never beating them! I wish The Rangers had beaten them in the quarters!

So what? Cut it out!

Whoever won today would have needed to be treated with utmost respect. Respect though, not fear.

The worriers need to do themselves a favour and relax. It'll be tough - it's a Scottish Cup Final after all - but we are winning it.
    I get why 'worriers' (of which I am definitely one) could annoy you, but this kind of attitude seems every bit as unhelpful. What happens if we don't? As has happened in 11 of the previous 14 finals we've been in - including against sides like Clyde and Airdrieonians

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    A fifty-fifty game. St Johnstone's strength is being tight and well organised. We'll need a plan to break them down and finish the chances we create.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    A fifty-fifty game. St Johnstone's strength is being tight and well organised. We'll need a plan to break them down and finish the chances we create.
    This. Whoever scored first wins imo.

Ultimately the fans feelings about the game make zero difference. That's even more true this year with no fans likely to be present.

If people want to worry then fine. If people want to be overconfident, that's equally fine. If people want to be somewhere in the middle then.... Well you get the picture.

It's on the players and manager. I have faith in them to get the job done. I wouldn't say I am brimming with confidence and I'm certainly not going to be talking about 'when' rather than 'if' we win the cup but I fancy us to be lifting the trophy in a couple of weeks time.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    This. Finish chances.

Was like my sons u12 game this afternoon. Battered a well drilled defence but couldn’t score. My heart was in my mouth as there was always the sucker punch.

I expect the 22nd to be exactly the same.

Hibs have to go for the jugular early. Total Blitzkrieg.

Get the lead. Let’s not have the one-two that St Johnstone are well capable of delivering.

J

Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    What happens if we don't?
    We end with disappointment.
    St Johnstone do a double.
    The season ends.
    Hearts will laugh despite being put out by Brora.
    We go again next season.

Or we win it for the second time in 5 years.

What’s the point in worrying?

Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    I get why 'worriers' (of which I am definitely one) could annoy you, but this kind of attitude seems every bit as unhelpful. What happens if we don't? As has happened in 11 of the previous 14 finals we've been in - including against sides like Clyde and Airdrieonians
    Just from an accuracy point of view Clyde were a better side than us at that time and had won the cup a couple of years before.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    We end with disappointment.
    St Johnstone do a double.
    The season ends.
    Hearts will laugh despite being put out by Brora.
    We go again next season.

Or we win it for the second time in 5 years.

What’s the point in worrying?
    To quote the Sunscreen song

“Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing Bubblegum.”

J
    Last edited by Bristolhibby; 09-05-2021 at 03:55 PM.

If someone had offered us a Scottish Cup Final v St Johnstone at the start of this season, every person connected with Hibs would have bitten their hand off.

@hibs.net private member
    You happy clappers won't stop me from wetting the bed.....
    Last edited by Irish_Steve; 09-05-2021 at 05:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    You happy clappers won't stop me from getting the bed.....
    Aye but it’s what you do with it after you have got it that counts

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    You happy clappers won't stop me from getting the bed.....
    Fill your boots, I'd go for a bunk bed

You have two levels to hide behind/ wet.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

If St Mirren had won today there's a real danger we would all have been going, brilliant it's St Mirren what a chance this is, and we would have been big favourites, a tag that never sits well with Hibs.

That's not the case now. St Johnstone are well drilled, tough to break down and they play for each other, they showed that in spades this afternoon. We couldn't have asked for a tougher game outside of the Ugly sisters, they are the form team in Scotland and have been consistently tough for us this season. As the presenters and pundits on Premier sports and the BBC were painting Hibs as favourites for the cup yesterday it took Michael Stewart to point out that ... and I quote .... "St Johnstone are Kryptonite to Hibs" and going by games between us this season he's not far wrong.

Can we beat them, of course we can. But IMO we simply have to score the first goal and force them to chase the game, if we allow them to bed in and clutter the midfield the way they do it will be a bloody long afternoon on the 22nd. We are the better team, but only if we play to our best, match their work rate, especially in midfield, and keep our concentration. Make no mistake this will be tough.

St Johnstone were good today, better than us yesterday in my opinion. If we can make our passes count and they actually reach their intended target, and Porteous isn't harem scarem then we have a chance.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    St Johnstone were good today, better than us yesterday in my opinion. If we can make our passes count and they actually reach their intended target, and Porteous isn't harem scarem then we have a chance.
    I would honestly play McGregor over Porteous for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If St Mirren had won today there's a real danger we would all have been going, brilliant it's St Mirren what a chance this is, and we would have been big favourites, a tag that never sits well with Hibs.

That's not the case now. St Johnstone are well drilled, tough to break down and they play for each other, they showed that in spades this afternoon. We couldn't have asked for a tougher game outside of the Ugly sisters, they are the form team in Scotland and have been consistently tough for us this season. As the presenters and pundits on Premier sports and the BBC were painting Hibs as favourites for the cup yesterday it took Michael Stewart to point out that ... and I quote .... "St Johnstone are Kryptonite to Hibs" and going by games between us this season he's not far wrong.

Can we beat them, of course we can. But IMO we simply have to score the first goal and force them to chase the game, if we allow them to bed in and clutter the midfield the way they do it will be a bloody long afternoon on the 22nd. We are the better team, but only if we play to our best, match their work rate, especially in midfield, and keep our concentration. Make no mistake this will be tough.
    I think you put it more eloquently than I did. 🙂

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    Can't agree with that, sorry. St Johnstone really could have lost that against St Mirren today. St Mirren missed three glorious chances. Whilst Middleton fairly skelped his free kick, the keeper has to do better for me as well.

We were in cruise control against Dundee Utd yesterday.

To be honest I'm quite pleased we're a bit concerned about St Johnstone. If the players feel the same they will know they need to raise their game. Going in over confident is a recipe for disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    To be honest I'm quite pleased we're a bit concerned about St Johnstone. If the players feel the same they will know they need to raise their game. Going in over confident is a recipe for disaster
    This. However, I hope that doesn't stop us from playing with the same level of positivity we've shown in previous rounds.

This is probably the first game in the competition that the players won't be going into fully confident that they're the better team (given results against St J this season already).

Absolutely, if they score first then they'll sit and be even more difficult to break down. If we score then their game plan is ****ed and they have to be more open.

For what it's worth, my gut feeling is we will win this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Can't agree with that, sorry. St Johnstone really could have lost that against St Mirren today. St Mirren missed three glorious chances. Whilst Middleton fairly skelped his free kick, the keeper has to do better for me as well.

We were in cruise control against Dundee Utd yesterday.
    Agree with this. St Mirren should have had a pen and missed a couple of glorious chances before they conceded.

Think it’s 3 times they’ve beaten us this season. Bet they would swap all those victories with the cup final result after we skelp them. It’s our time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Aye but it’s what you do with it after you have got it that counts
    Dunno what you mean lol ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post

So what? Cut it out!

This

Why do we fear them, they aint world beaters, they have been punching WAY above their weight this season, **** em, we will do em, turn up and the cups ours!!!

Imo they have q brand of football that i dont want to watch, anti football, score and sit back and try and stifle the opposite team, its simple, if we score first they are beat

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbie1875 View Post
    Imo they have q brand of football that i dont want to watch, anti football, score and sit back and try and stifle the opposite team, its simple, if we score first they are beat
    I don't think it is. I agree that we need to score first, but you don't get to two domestic cup finals in one season without being a good team. We need to be alert for the whole game, be prepared to beat their high press, defend set pieces resolutely and take our chances when they come.

I honestly think it'll be the toughest game of the season.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Just from an accuracy point of view Clyde were a better side than us at that time and had won the cup a couple of years before.
    Had not just beat them two week’s earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbie1875 View Post
    The new Aberdeen as my mate calls them