hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan porteous

Ryan porteous

Firstly well done hibs yesterday. Solid performance and least nervous last 20 minutes at hampden for a while. Young ryan though appears to be increasingly erratic. His mistakes over the last few weeks have been well highlighted and yesterday he seemed to lose his man on several occasions but more concerning was his temperament. After his booking to then kick the ball away which could easily have been a sending off could have completely changed the game. He is a great young player but he doesnt seem to learn, or maybe im being a bit unfair.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Fine line between having a competitive edge over other players and taking it too far.
    I think he definitely treads this line.
    And to be fair, even the top players make mistakes, but I think overall he has become more consistent.

He was giving me the fear yesterday if I'm being honest was a bit all over the place couple of times he we caught in no man's land and his distribution wasn't great neither. Felt like I breathed easier when Daz came on. Luv Porto but he's gone a bit off form again

@hibs.net private member
    I said in another thread Porto played ok yesterday but Daz is more solid in defending but Porto is better with the ball at his feet. As for his temperament, not many were complaining when he was winding Rangers players up. He’s a young player who is getting better and will improve even more.

There's an outstanding footballer in there, but he needs to improve his own discipline, firm coaching and to learn quickly if he's to go further in the game.

Promising Youngster
    Young laddie as we all know plays for the jersey & gives his all. Needs to do the easy things get back to basics. Needs mentoring if not already in place ? I feel defensively that JRs tactics as a 3 or 4 have us playing as individuals( unlike Live/St J defences of late)Going forward good but defensively lacking as a unit with at times poor support from mfield. Hopefully Ryan & the rest of our young players are here for the forseeable future playing in Europe as Scottish Cup winners 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly well done hibs yesterday. Solid performance and least nervous last 20 minutes at hampden for a while. Young ryan though appears to be increasingly erratic. His mistakes over the last few weeks have been well highlighted and yesterday he seemed to lose his man on several occasions but more concerning was his temperament. After his booking to then kick the ball away which could easily have been a sending off could have completely changed the game. He is a great young player but he doesnt seem to learn, or maybe im being a bit unfair.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    He was giving me the fear yesterday if I'm being honest was a bit all over the place couple of times he we caught in no man's land and his distribution wasn't great neither. Felt like I breathed easier when Daz came on. Luv Porto but he's gone a bit off form again
    Yup, he’s definitely not playing his best stuff just now.

Daz should be in for the remainder of the league games imo. If he performs then he’s in for the final.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    There’s players 10 years older than him that still make daft mistakes.

No problem with the odd rush of blood to the head, we need characters in the team and he is one.

He’s doing tremendously well for his age and the position he plays in and will get better over time.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I said in another thread Porto played ok yesterday but Daz is more solid in defending but Porto is better with the ball at his feet. As for his temperament, not many were complaining when he was winding Rangers players up. He’s a young player who is getting better and will improve even more.
    To be fair, quite a few of us were concerned with his temperament a year and a half ago i.e.the reckless and uneccesary sending off against Rangers.

Seems to be the narrative on here that Porteous is improving all the time and becoming more level headed. Tbh I don't really see it. The mistake last week could have happened to anyone really but he gets caught flat footed too often, steps off his man. Another ref would (and should) have given him a second yellow for booting the ball away yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    There’s players 10 years older than him that still make daft mistakes.

No problem with the odd rush of blood to the head, we need characters in the team and he is one.

He’s doing tremendously well for his age and the position he plays in and will get better over time.
    At least he tries to play the ball out or show a bit of composure, the same with Doig. The more experienced Hanlon was treating the ball like a hot potato that last 20 minutes when he's the one who should be showing the composure, he runs around pointing but never seems to open his mouth, he should be doing way more imo to help the youngsters, something I'm positive Daz would do.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    At least he tries to play the ball out or show a bit of composure, the same with Doig. The more experienced Hanlon was treating the ball like a hot potato that last 20 minutes when he's the one who should be showing the composure, he runs around pointing but never seems to open his mouth, he should be doing way more imo to help the youngsters, something I'm positive Daz would do.
    Brilliant.

Hibs win a Scottish cup semi final. Clean sheet. Let’s have a go at Hanlon.

A referee is not going to give a second yellow for kicking the ball away with so long left to play.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Brilliant.

On a thread that's having a go at possibly our best CH in a generation, only making comparisons my friend, not having a go.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Brilliant.

Hanlon was excellent yesterday.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

His distribution was terrible early on. Seriously awful and was the only way United were getting chances.

I'd strongly consider Darren for the final tbh. But I think Ryan will start.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I got the impression that Ryan was too up for it yesterday. He was far better last week despite the howler.

Hibs players will always make wee errors and that's why they play at Hibs and not at a much higher level, Ryan showed fantastic promise and has made big strides since he became a regular squad player but he still has that rush of blood that hampers him. He's no a wee laddie any more and if he has aspirations of going further in the game he has to start knuckling down to cut out these errors, I think big Daz showed Ryan exactly what he needs to do by improving his positional sense and mental strength during a game, 2 parts of his game which is weak.

@hibs.net private member
    I love Porto too but I think the wee mistakes are beginning to creep in too much.

He reminds me a bit of James McPake. we all thought McPake was great because he would make fantastic last ditch tackles, however, that was because he was out of position in the first place.

As someone else said, maybe Porto was too up for it yesterday but we did look better when Daz came on - interesting conundrum for JR to sort

Now is the time to sell him. He's the right age and i don't see him improving much now. His stock right now is the highest it's going to be with us.
    Last edited by Since452; 09-05-2021 at 11:16 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Brilliant.

TBF he and as others have said, he’s the player where I suck in my breath.

Not saying he’s a bad player, far from it, but there’s no room for error when you are a centre half.

I think Mike’s Stewart said it, Sparky was playing on the inside shoulder every time and running channels. He needed to be aware of that.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    Fair enough.

The point about treating the ball like a hot potato isn’t just Hanlon though. I’m often screaming at the telly for Hibs to find a pass and keep a hold of the damn ball when we’re winning with not long to go. We’ve a terrible habit of ‘anywhere will do’ which just invites more pressure.

He was rightly criticised all week in the media.
    All that has an affect on the person being criticised but after yesterday it will be out of his system and replaced with thoughts of his injury.
    I missed the kicking the ball away incident and trust he won't do it again.
    As for those saying we should sell him now because his reputation is as high as it will get. That makes no sense. It is probably the opposite.
    He has great footballing ability and is lacking a little in his decision making. I am confident he will continue to improve that aspect of the game.
    He no longer clobbers folk needlessly and his decision making will similarly improve. Ross appears to be the right man to take him to the next stage.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 09-05-2021 at 11:41 AM.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Ryan is a concern for me right now. Daz was superb yesterday when he came on.

If we are up against St Johnstone I would be tempted to go with Daz.

They are very physical, play a lot of balls into the box and are dangerous at set pieces. That kind of defending is bread and butter for Daz.

You also have to wonder if his previous errors v St Johnstone will play on RPs mind. He seemed a bit over pumped up yesterday and was doing a few of the silly things he has largely cut out of his game. His booking, as one example, was because of his own indecisiveness then jumping in and selling himself.

A tough decision for the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Ryan is a concern for me right now. Daz was superb yesterday when he came on.

Daz is big, strong and does the basics right and positionally very good.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Daz is big, strong and does the basics right and positionally very good.
    Absolutely. We can’t afford any mistakes in the cup final, and Daz is much less likely to make any.

Tbf I seem to remember DM having an absolute mare against St. J when he came on for Hanlon in the 2-2 game at ER earlier this season - but I can’t think of many others in his five years here.

I have a huge amount of trust in Daz, more so than I do Ryan at this moment in time - and I love RP.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Absolutely. We can’t afford any mistakes in the cup final, and Daz is much less likely to make any.

Tbf I seem to remember DM having an absolute mare against St. J when he came on for Hanlon in the 2-2 game at ER earlier this season - but I can’t think of many others in his five years here.

I have a huge amount of trust in Daz, more so than I do Ryan at this moment in time - and I love RP.
    Was it not Daz that gave the ball away against Aberdeen 20 seconds into the semi final?

All players make mistakes.

As for Porto reminding someone of James McPake...

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Was it not Daz that gave the ball away against Aberdeen 20 seconds into the semi final?

All players make mistakes.

As for Porto reminding someone of James McPake...
    Yes, there were a few in the lead up to that goal, but Daz was the one that led directly to the goal.

All players do make mistakes. I very much rate Ryan but he makes more than Daz. Last weekend was one of the worst I’ve seen from a Hibs player, and I thought he was shaky yesterday. DM was excellent when he came on.

Both are hard as nails and a decent goal threat. Ryan is a better footballer than Daz, but DM is no nonsense and has a much better temperament. I trust him more than Porto at this moment in time, and think his low risk approach is more suited to a final against Saints.

I think as things stand that JR will play Ryan though.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 09-05-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    If we are up against St Johnstone I would be tempted to go with Daz.

They are very physical, play a lot of balls into the box and are dangerous at set pieces. That kind of defending is bread and butter for Daz.

You also have to wonder if his previous errors v St Johnstone will play on RPs mind. He seemed a bit over pumped up yesterday and was doing a few of the silly things he has largely cut out of his game. His booking, as one example, was because of his own indecisiveness then jumping in and selling himself.

A tough decision for the manager.
    Big call for jr to make. I’d be radical and play both with mcginn rwb.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Big call for jr to make. I’d be radical and play both with mcginn rwb.
    Unless there's a permutation I haven't figured out, McGinn at RWB would mean leaving out one of Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle – there's plenty to discuss in midfield and defence, but I think one thing that's certain is that those three all start if fit.