hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ryan porteous

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I'm tending towards playing MacGregor. TBH. Sorry Porto, but you were playing close to edge yesterday and that could have cost us big time. It wasn't necessary.

MacGregor is equally physical and does the basics of defending better. Given St Johnston's reliance on high balls into the box, I would be playing the man best suited for the job.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless there's a permutation I haven't figured out, McGinn at RWB would mean leaving out one of Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle – there's plenty to discuss in midfield and defence, but I think one thing that's certain is that those three all start if fit.
    I don't think midfield is an area of contention at all. Hallberg keeps his place at Pitoddrie and has to give a similar performance to keep it, IMO.

Macey

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon
    Doig

Irvine
    Newell
    Hallberg

Boyle
    Nisbet
    Doidge

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Was it not Daz that gave the ball away against Aberdeen 20 seconds into the semi final?

All players make mistakes.

As for Porto reminding someone of James McPake...
    12 seconds and no, it wasn't. It was John McGinn and (sort of) Marvin Bartley.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I'm tending towards playing MacGregor. TBH. Sorry Porto, but you were playing close to edge yesterday and that could have cost us big time. It wasn't necessary.

MacGregor is equally physical and does the basics of defending better. Given St Johnston's reliance on high balls into the box, I would be playing the man best suited for the job.
    Ross has favoured porto over daz for almost the entire season, which has us sitting 3rd and in the cup final. He has earned his place. There is next to no chance that he is going to be dropped if fit.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    12 seconds and no, it wasn't. It was John McGinn and (sort of) Marvin Bartley.
    McGinn lost the ball, Bartley passed it to McGregor who, instead of smashing it up the park, passed it to Rooney.

Anyway, that day we lost and subsequently I went out to drown my sorrows and met my now Mrs in a pub that I probably wouldn't have been in at the West End instead of Leith Walk where I'd have headed if we had won.

So cheers Daz!

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    Ross has favoured porto over daz for almost the entire season, which has us sitting 3rd and in the cup final. He has earned his place. There is next to no chance that he is going to be dropped if fit.
    Probably so, but it's a discussion and I'm just giving my view.

Porto's error last week could cost us third place. There's a lot at stake in the next few games. I just want to see the best player for the job in the side. At the moment Porto is a liability?

Ross has also favoured Drey Wright and played him regularly when nearly every HIbs fan can see that he's pretty mediocre. Managers have their foibles and Ross is no different.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 10-05-2021 at 10:29 AM.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    I don't think midfield is an area of contention at all. Hallberg keeps his place at Pitoddrie and has to give a similar performance to keep it, IMO.
    You have Newell in your team – many posters on here disagree with that. You don't have Gogic – many posters on here consider him essential to the midfield. Many posters agree that Hallberg deserves a chance after his SF performance, but prior to that game it was common to read that he contributes nothing, isn't good enough, should be allowed to leave in the summer etc. Pretty much every suggested team I've seen has Irvine in it.

The four of them can't all play. My point is not about which opinions are right or wrong, just that from the discussion on here the make-up of the midfield is very much contentious. (Whether JR thinks so or not is a different question.)

Conversely I can't think of reading any suggestion of leaving out any of Boyle/Nisbet/Doidge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Anyway, that day we lost and subsequently I went out to drown my sorrows and met my now Mrs in a pub that I probably wouldn't have been in at the West End instead of Leith Walk where I'd have headed if we had won.

So cheers Daz!
    He's so handsome that he can win the love of a good woman on behalf of us mortals.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Probably so, but it's a discussion and I'm just giving my view.

Porto's error last week could week have cost us third place. There's a lot at stake in the next few games. I just want to see the best player for the job in the side. At the moment Porto is a liability?

Ross has also favoured Drey Wright and played him regularly when nearly every HIbs fan can see that he's pretty mediocre. Managers have their foibles and Ross is no different.
    I think it is a stretch to say wright has been a regular.

I don't think porto is a liability. He has made a few mistakes over the season, as most players do, and obviously made that howler the other week but over the season has performed very well, to the point he has been in and around the scotland squad and has english championship teams after him.

I don't for a second think daz would let us down if he did play by the way but he has barely played all season and hasn't played 90 minutes for months. I just don't think there is any chance he will be brought in for the biggest game of the season. I hope he does get on the park though and if we were going to score a last minute winner again it would be a toss up between him and hanlon as the players i would most like to score it!

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    I think it is a stretch to say wright has been a regular.

I don't think porto is a liability. He has made a few mistakes over the season, as most players do, and obviously made that howler the other week but over the season has performed very well, to the point he has been in and around the scotland squad and has english championship teams after him.

I don't for a second think daz would let us down if he did play by the way but he has barely played all season and hasn't played 90 minutes for months. I just don't think there is any chance he will be brought in for the biggest game of the season. I hope he does get on the park though and if we were going to score a last minute winner again it would be a toss up between him and hanlon as the players i would most like to score it!
    Wright has played in 27 games this season, either as a starter or a sub. That makes him a regular first team squad member, one who's had plenty of game time ( I think he's ranked 11 in terms of minutes on the pitch).

Porto has had a mixed season, he's not become the player I hoped he would become. That's not to say he won't keep progressing, but he needs to do better than his recent form (not just the howler that could still cost us dearly). He was treading on thin ice on Saturday. If he's out injured for Wednesday, I'll back Daz to come in and play well.

We're at the business end of the season. I'd be playing the best men for each specific challenge and I suspect v St Johnston, we will have most of the possession. They will sit deep and use set plays and crosses flung into the box as their main offensive ploy. Daz is a better man marker and more reliable. All that said, if Porto is fit, he'll play.

I like the idea of Daz coming on with 15 minutes to go and knocking in the decisive goal. I'll settle for that scenario

Becoming increasingly worried about his awareness and lapses in concentration.

First Team Breakthrough
    I love his confidence. If anyone in the side is to make a mistake, brush it aside and move on, it’s him.

Positionally he needs to improve, and his decision making needs refinement. But that’s natural at his age. I’d be sad to see him go, particularly as Hanlon and Daz are getting on. I think he’d benefit us and himself by spending another season here.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    I do think folk are being overly critical of Porto

Id be inclinded to play him if fit - Daz came on and done OK but he also lost a few headers too

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Play 3 at the back?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Play 3 at the back?
    We do that quite often. But it would be Mcginn, Hanlon and then one of Porto/McGregor. I think JR will stick with Porto