hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84

Nisbet/Boyle/Doidge

Listening to the game today on premier sports the pundits were saying it’s the first time 3 players from Hibs had hit double figures since the season we had Riordan, Stokes and Nish.

Got me thinking which is the best trio, i automatically thought the current one then thinking about it more if you compare like for like think at the moment only Doidge would be better than Nish, not sure on the other two, hard to say as Nisbet is still fairly young, thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listening to the game today on premier sports the pundits were saying it’s the first time 3 players from Hibs had hit double figures since the season we had Riordan, Stokes and Nish.

Got me thinking which is the best trio, i automatically thought the current one then thinking about it more if you compare like for like think at the moment only Doidge would be better than Nish, not sure on the other two, hard to say as Nisbet is still fairly young, thoughts?
    If this trio deliver the cup then they get my vote as a combined force!

Deek and O’Connor individually were fantastic players and get the edge over Nisbet and Boyle. But it’s a team game !

'S' Form
    Best trio I have seenGordon, O’Rourke and Duncan, never saw the famous five

45 goals between then this season I think? Not bad at all

Doidge is the man for the Scottish cup, 10 goals in 9 games over the two seasons and he's scored in every round this year I believe

The big difference to me is that other combinations played in teams with scorers from midfield who took some of the strain and also made room by being goal threats themselves. This team doesn't have that which makes the front three admirable.

Our Terrible Trio more famous than Hearts

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post

Doidge is the man for the Scottish cup, 10 goals in 9 games over the two seasons and he's scored in every round this year I believe
    Ive got it as 44 with 24 assists as well. A truly staggering return regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post

I presume you`re only talking about front 3 as a unit as individually noone in our current squad is anywhere near Riordan in terms of quality . If we`re only talking of strikers , Stokes was much better than what Nisbet or Doidge have shown so far . Nish had a great record at Killie which he didn`t manage to reproduce with us partly cause of competition he had in squad while Doidge and Nisbet are almost guaranteed a start every week . Even then Nish scored quite a few for us didn`t he ? Can`t remember how often Riordan , Stokes and Nish played together but don`t think it was often so wouldn`t really include Boyle in comparison as we had midfielders who were scoring too .

When was the last time that we had three players score 15 in a season? I think Doidge only needs three more for that to happen.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I presume you`re only talking about front 3 as a unit as individually noone in our current squad is anywhere near Riordan in terms of quality . If we`re only talking of strikers , Stokes was much better than what Nisbet or Doidge have shown so far . Nish had a great record at Killie which he didn`t manage to reproduce with us partly cause of competition he had in squad while Doidge and Nisbet are almost guaranteed a start every week . Even then Nish scored quite a few for us didn`t he ? Can`t remember how often Riordan , Stokes and Nish played together but don`t think it was often so wouldn`t really include Boyle in comparison as we had midfielders who were scoring too .
    Yeah if you had to pick a trio one or the other who would it be, would agree riordan and stokes prob take it in terms of talent

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieB View Post
    Best trio I have seenGordon, O’Rourke and Duncan, never saw the famous five
    Yes take some beating these 3.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Ive got it as 44 with 24 assists as well. A truly staggering return regardless.
    I thought they were close to 50 now? Might be wrong but I was sure they mentioned low 40’s during the Stranraer game and they’ve managed a few since them between them

Where's that notorious poster who insisted Doidge was gash? He's been awfully quiet recently

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    I thought they were close to 50 now? Might be wrong but I was sure they mentioned low 40’s during the Stranraer game and they’ve managed a few since them between them
    It is 45, Nisbet’s total hadnt been updated when I checked before. 18 for Nisbet, 15 for Boyle and 12 for Doidge.

Left by mutual consent!
    Doidge is one goal away from doing a Keith Wright

@hibs.net private member
    Didnt the commentator say at one point, possibly before any goals had been scored the the Tremendous Trio had scored 43 goals between them, exactly the same amount as the entirely Dundee United team!

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post

That's a good spot. Doidge is exactly the type of player you want in he Cup. He's a bloody nuisance who refuses to give in. Could quite easily be the hero to bring it home.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    09/10 season Riordan stokes and nish played nearly every game together.

Yogi had us playing an attacking 442 with Riordan wide left.

Don't think we got many goals from midfield either, zemmamma and Liam miller both got a couple, but neither were regularly scoring iirc.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I'm not sure about comparing them to Nish, O'connor and Riordan but I thought Marv was spot on with his comparison to the old school One big guy, one small guy set up was on the money.

It was a tactic that Martin O'Neill used to great effect while in Scotland and we're doing the same. Ideally we can keep Nisbet for another season and see how they develop.

Doidge is easily better than Nish.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Doidge is easily better than Nish.
    I’m a big Doidge fan...but that is a very subjective viewpoint there. Nish was a vastly underrated player. His goal scoring record in his career speaks for itself. Nish gets an unfair reaction in my view...held his own in our league for many seasons. Would have given Doidge a run for his money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I’m a big Doidge fan...but that is a very subjective viewpoint there. Nish was a vastly underrated player. His goal scoring record in his career speaks for itself. Nish gets an unfair reaction in my view...held his own in our league for many seasons. Would have given Doidge a run for his money.

If we are going on goals. Yip, Colin more than holds his own. Christian's contribution all over the pitch is immense. I'm struggling to compare him to another No 9 other than Grant Holt in the Championship winning season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar

I'm a big fan of Nish and his time with Hibs, as you say vastly underrated, however in a head to head I'd say Doidge nicks it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I'm a big fan of Nish and his time with Hibs, as you say vastly underrated, however in a head to head I'd say Doidge nicks it.
    Yeah. I’d probably agree with that ...I was mainly responding to a post that said Doidge “easily” is better than Nish..felt an unbalanced view that ...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    If we are going on goals. Yip, Colin more than holds his own. Christian's contribution all over the pitch is immense. I'm struggling to compare him to another No 9 other than Grant Holt in the Championship winning season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Agreed. He’s got a great work ethic to add to his many qualities ..like him a lot - will be very hard to replace

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post

Colin Nish was a bit of an enigma but has a bit of history in my household. When I took my oldest daughter to ER for the first time, she was about 7 at the time, it was an end of season 1-0 defeat against Killie. Colin Nish scored the Killie goal. Not knowing much about the game, she stood up and cheered when he scored, I had to tell her to sit back down as it wasn't Hibs that scored, she was just happy to see a goal!

A year later, Nish signed for Hibs. When she was a Hibs kids mascot she put Colin Nish as her favourite player in the match day programme, probably the only person to ever do so, she got to touch Nish's top before the game, it was a lucky touch as he scored in a 5-1 win v Hamilton. I am probably the only person in the world that has a Colin Nish fridge magnet.
    Last edited by AFKA5814_Hibs; 09-05-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Coaching Staff

Nah, I liked Nish too but it isn’t really close.

Doidge is a far more complete player and a better goalscorer.

I liked Nish, he was good but Doidge is better.

Christian Doidge is the epitome of a professional footballer for me. Every single game he goes out there and never stops, works hard and plays every game likes it’s his last.

He brings so much and leads by example.

I’m not saying others don’t but hopefully the front 3 continue.

If we can get at least a point on Wednesday I’d maybe give them a rest last game to prevent injury or suspension and keep them fresh for the final!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I liked Nish, he was good but Doidge is better.
    I’d agree with that ..it was your “easier” word that I was responding to ..Nish is underrated ..much like many with Doidge for most of his time here . Players who played with Nish rated him highly .