hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (Dundee United 08 05 21)

Given the outcome of the last two semi finals I felt some trepidation in the lead up to this one but as it turned out, my concerns were unfounded. Playing really well in large portions of the game, Hibs scored twice without reply to secure a place in the final.

Jack Ross made three changes to his starting eleven, bringing in Matt Macey, Melker Hallberg and Kevin Nisbet whilst Mickey Mellon went with the same eleven that had demolished Aberdeen at Pittodrie in the quarter final.

Early exchanges were fairly even, though Dundee United coped well with a couple of Hibs corners. An early Josh Doig effort was well wide of the target before Hallberg blasted in a fine effort that sailed past the keeper’s left hand post. With Doig playing high up the park, United repeatedly tried to send a man down their right but Hanlon and Porteous were wise to that and snuffed out any danger.

On ten minutes, Butcher went into a challenge with Boyle, catching the Hibs man with his studs leading. It looked worse than it was, but referee Bobby Madden correctly punished the United man with a yellow card. Joe Newell was next to try his luck, but the effort lacked any power whilst at the other end, Harkes got his head to a cross but the ball was slightly behind him and the effort sailed well over the bar.

Around the twenty five minute mark, Madden puzzled everyone by awarding a free kick against Christian Doidge. The Hibs man was on the ground and as he fell, he collided with the United goalkeeper who was actually behind him at the time. Moments later, Kevin Nisbet screwed a shot just wide of the far post. Within a minute he once again fired in a shot which beat Mehmet and found the far corner. It was a great strike and made possible by Irvine controlling the ball with his chest before rolling it into the path of Nisbet.

On the half hour, Newell took a sore one in a challenge with Shankland but managed to stay on following treatment. United were trying hard to create chances but struggling to break through a resolute defence who were ably assisted by Irvine and Hallberg. The latter had taken the place of the suspended Gogic and impressed with his energy and willingness to take the ball in tight situations. As half time loomed, United won a couple of corners but never troubled Macey who was happy to come out and collect the ball.

It was to be expected that the men from Dundee would come out strong in the second half and early in the proceedings, McNulty threatened to break free, but he was hauled back by Porteous who was yellow carded for the offense. Nicky Clark took the resultant free kick, but his attempt was both high and wide.

Realising his side was toiling to create anything, Mickey Mellon began to make substitutions and for a short while, United started to see more of the ball but the truth was that so far in the game, Macey had not faced one shot on goal and as the hour mark approached, Hibs doubled their lead. Boyle won the ball in midfield, passed to Nisbet who flicked his return past his marker. Boyle then released Doidge who took one touch before planting the ball in the bottom corner. I’ll admit here, I thought Christian was offside and replays confirmed that to be the case, making it quite astonishing that the assistant referee missed it. Moments later, Joe Newell felt his earlier injury prevented him from playing on and he was replaced by Kyle Magennis. Soon after, first Shankland and then McNulty failed to get shots on target as Hibs maintained control of the game.

In a rare lapse, Hibs allowed Smith to break free on the right and his long and looped cross picked out Robson at the far post, but the United man’s first time effort trickled past Macey’s far post. At the other end, Boyle shot past the post as Hibs tried to take advantage of United pressing forward by hitting them on the break. Soon after, Shankland got across his marker to guide a shot on target but Macey got down quickly to push the ball around the post. Ryan Porteous was looking like he might be suffering from a tightness in his thigh and was soon replaced by Darren McGregor who quickly got involved by towering above Shankland with a headed clearance. Seconds later, Boyle picked up a pass when out wide on the right and just inside his own half. Setting off for goal he burned past several challenges before being hacked down by Ryan Edwards right on the edge of the United box. Edwards was rightly booked before Nisbet stung the fingertips of Mehmet from the resultant free kick. It should be said that referee Madden was ultra quick with his whistle here as the challenge on Boyle saw the ball reach Doidge who would have made it 3-0.

The minutes were ticking down nicely, and Hibs looked in full control with Boyle racing free only to see his effort on goal deflected wide by Smith at the last second. On 84 minutes, Nisbet was withdrawn, and Jamie Murphy introduced with the new man setting up a chance for Doidge before himself hitting a cracking shot that Mehmet did really well to push round the post. Some five minutes were added but the truth is Hibs never looked in trouble as they simply managed that five minutes, allowing them to secure a place in the Scottish Cup Final.

The players

Macey – Completely untroubled throughout and I only really recall one significant save.

McGinn – Some feel he’s dipped in form recently and that may be so but today he was back to his best both defensively and offensively.

Porteous – I thought a couple of attempted fifty yard passes were odd decisions to make but overall, I thought Ryan had a decent game.

Hanlon – Paul had one moment when he misread a situation, but he wasn’t punished for it thankfully and he had a good 95 minutes.

Doig – For me, Josh was a bit sloppy in possession for the first 15 minutes or so, but he settled down and went on to play his part in the win.

Boyle – Facing two or more defenders in the first half curtailed his effectiveness somewhat but he had a stonking second half, capped by that waltz through the United defence that was so crudely halted.

Hallberg – In there to do the Gogic job I thought he was outstanding from start to finish. Accepted that his dead ball delivery could be better, but he covered every blade of grass today and more than compensated for the man he had replaced. With two or three in the frame I’ve plumped for him as my man of the match.

Newell – Quietly influential but once he got that first half injury he was always going to need to be replaced.

Irvine – I’ve been lukewarm about Jackson in recent weeks, but I thought he was fantastic today and was very much in my thoughts for man f the match.

Nisbet – His game awareness just grows and grows. A very clever and talented footballer who doesn’t always get the credit he deserves for his work off the ball. There were a couple of instinctive touches today that took my breath away. Another just beaten to my man of the match award.

Doidge – The usual hard working display from Christian but I have to praise that finish for the second goal. Sweetly struck and not a sclaff in sight.

Magennis – Played wide left again and unable to get involved enough but he didn’t do anything wrong and will have benefitted from the minutes.

McGregor – Big Daz just did what big Daz does – never gave an opponent a sniff.

Murphy – Jamie wasn’t on for long, but I felt he made a positive impact. If he can stay fit, he’ll be a valuable asset for our three remaining games this season.

Jack Ross – The look of absolute delight on his face when he went on at the end to congratulate his players was a joy to behold.

Referee – I actually like Madden as a referee because he lets the game flow but on the one occasion today that he didn’t he denied Hibs a third goal.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given the outcome of the last two semi finals I felt some trepidation in the lead up to this one but as it turned out, my concerns were unfounded. Playing really well in large portions of the game, Hibs scored twice without reply to secure a place in the final.

Jack Ross made three changes to his starting eleven, bringing in Matt Macey, Melker Hallberg and Kevin Nisbet whilst Mickey Mellon went with the same eleven that had demolished Aberdeen at Pittodrie in the quarter final.

Early exchanges were fairly even, though Dundee United coped well with a couple of Hibs corners. An early Josh Doig effort was well wide of the target before Hallberg blasted in a fine effort that sailed past the keeper’s left hand post. With Doig playing high up the park, United repeatedly tried to send a man down their right but Hanlon and Porteous were wise to that and snuffed out any danger.

On ten minutes, Butcher went into a challenge with Boyle, catching the Hibs man with his studs leading. It looked worse than it was, but referee Bobby Madden correctly punished the United man with a yellow card. Joe Newell was next to try his luck, but the effort lacked any power whilst at the other end, Harkes got his head to a cross but the ball was slightly behind him and the effort sailed well over the bar.

Around the twenty five minute mark, Madden puzzled everyone by awarding a free kick against Christian Doidge. The Hibs man was on the ground and as he fell, he collided with the United goalkeeper who was actually behind him at the time. Moments later, Kevin Nisbet screwed a shot just wide of the far post. Within a minute he once again fired in a shot which beat Mehmet and found the far corner. It was a great strike and made possible by Irvine controlling the ball with his chest before rolling it into the path of Nisbet.

On the half hour, Newell took a sore one in a challenge with Shankland but managed to stay on following treatment. United were trying hard to create chances but struggling to break through a resolute defence who were ably assisted by Irvine and Hallberg. The latter had taken the place of the suspended Gogic and impressed with his energy and willingness to take the ball in tight situations. As half time loomed, United won a couple of corners but never troubled Macey who was happy to come out and collect the ball.

It was to be expected that the men from Dundee would come out strong in the second half and early in the proceedings, McNulty threatened to break free, but he was hauled back by Porteous who was yellow carded for the offense. Nicky Clark took the resultant free kick, but his attempt was both high and wide.

Realising his side was toiling to create anything, Mickey Mellon began to make substitutions and for a short while, United started to see more of the ball but the truth was that so far in the game, Macey had not faced one shot on goal and as the hour mark approached, Hibs doubled their lead. Boyle won the ball in midfield, passed to Nisbet who flicked his return past his marker. Boyle then released Doidge who took one touch before planting the ball in the bottom corner. I’ll admit here, I thought Christian was offside and replays confirmed that to be the case, making it quite astonishing that the assistant referee missed it. Moments later, Joe Newell felt his earlier injury prevented him from playing on and he was replaced by Kyle Magennis. Soon after, first Shankland and then McNulty failed to get shots on target as Hibs maintained control of the game.

In a rare lapse, Hibs allowed Smith to break free on the right and his long and looped cross picked out Robson at the far post, but the United man’s first time effort trickled past Macey’s far post. At the other end, Boyle shot past the post as Hibs tried to take advantage of United pressing forward by hitting them on the break. Soon after, Shankland got across his marker to guide a shot on target but Macey got down quickly to push the ball around the post. Ryan Porteous was looking like he might be suffering from a tightness in his thigh and was soon replaced by Darren McGregor who quickly got involved by towering above Shankland with a headed clearance. Seconds later, Boyle picked up a pass when out wide on the right and just inside his own half. Setting off for goal he burned past several challenges before being hacked down by Ryan Edwards right on the edge of the United box. Edwards was rightly booked before Nisbet stung the fingertips of Mehmet from the resultant free kick. It should be said that referee Madden was ultra quick with his whistle here as the challenge on Boyle saw the ball reach Doidge who would have made it 3-0.

The minutes were ticking down nicely, and Hibs looked in full control with Boyle racing free only to see his effort on goal deflected wide by Smith at the last second. On 84 minutes, Nisbet was withdrawn, and Jamie Murphy introduced with the new man setting up a chance for Doidge before himself hitting a cracking shot that Mehmet did really well to push round the post. Some five minutes were added but the truth is Hibs never looked in trouble as they simply managed that five minutes, allowing them to secure a place in the Scottish Cup Final.

The players

Macey – Completely untroubled throughout and I only really recall one significant save.

McGinn – Some feel he’s dipped in form recently and that may be so but today he was back to his best both defensively and offensively.

Porteous – I thought a couple of attempted fifty yard passes were odd decisions to make but overall, I thought Ryan had a decent game.

Hanlon – Paul had one moment when he misread a situation, but he wasn’t punished for it thankfully and he had a good 95 minutes.

Doig – For me, Josh was a bit sloppy in possession for the first 15 minutes or so, but he settled down and went on to play his part in the win.

Boyle – Facing two or more defenders in the first half curtailed his effectiveness somewhat but he had a stonking second half, capped by that waltz through the United defence that was so crudely halted.

Hallberg – In there to do the Gogic job I thought he was outstanding from start to finish. Accepted that his dead ball delivery could be better, but he covered every blade of grass today and more than compensated for the man he had replaced. With two or three in the frame I’ve plumped for him as my man of the match.

Newell – Quietly influential but once he got that first half injury he was always going to need to be replaced.

Irvine – I’ve been lukewarm about Jackson in recent weeks, but I thought he was fantastic today and was very much in my thoughts for man f the match.

Nisbet – His game awareness just grows and grows. A very clever and talented footballer who doesn’t always get the credit he deserves for his work off the ball. There were a couple of instinctive touches today that took my breath away. Another just beaten to my man of the match award.

Doidge – The usual hard working display from Christian but I have to praise that finish for the second goal. Sweetly struck and not a sclaff in sight.

Magennis – Played wide left again and unable to get involved enough but he didn’t do anything wrong and will have benefitted from the minutes.

McGregor – Big Daz just did what big Daz does – never gave an opponent a sniff.

Murphy – Jamie wasn’t on for long, but I felt he made a positive impact. If he can stay fit, he’ll be a valuable asset for our three remaining games this season.

Jack Ross – The look of absolute delight on his face when he went on at the end to congratulate his players was a joy to behold.

Referee – I actually like Madden as a referee because he lets the game flow but on the one occasion today that he didn’t he denied Hibs a third goal.
    Excellent summary

Not seen the game but must be good when you JB, Tam on Hibs tv and BBC come up with three different players for MoM.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    I must say that the Asst Ref had a much better view than the camera - he was also looking across the line very closely.

However judging by the lines on the pitch I would say that Doidge was perhaps offside by the measure of his big toe.

@hibs.net private member
    Brilliant Jonnyboy

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Hope the eye is healing JB, agree with your summary
    See you at the final, hopefully

Welcome back.
    Can't argue with any of that.
    A very competent display, a style which allowed the team with the best players to prevail.
    MOTM Hallberg has given JR food for thought.

I'd like to strongly agree with this summary

Few comments on match thread I thought were harsh on Porto.

Massive credit must go to Irvine who is playing in an unnatural position to benefit the team.

Hallberg was mine, and your man of the match.

Thought the pitch played really slow today

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Hallberg excellent but thought Kevin Nisbet was class.

First Team Breakthrough wfortune's Avatar
    Excellent report. Pretty much how I saw it as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Pretty much spot on in the analysis

Excellent as always.
    That’s probably the most comfortable we have been in a semi-final since we played Livi in 2001.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

There was an intelligent piece of play by Irvine in the lead up to our opener. Rather than contest the header, he dropped back into space to get the second ball.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Regular
    An important win on so many levels. To have lost three semi-finals in the space of one season would have been hard to come back from. All credit to Jack Ross and the team.

Coaching Staff
    Good summary.

Watching from under the blankets......1am kick off here.........I too thought Hallberg was superb.

And for the second time recently, I have rejoiced in the absence of the VAR.🍺🍺🍺

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    I must say that the Asst Ref had a much better view than the camera - he was also looking across the line very closely.

However judging by the lines on the pitch I would say that Doidge was perhaps offside by the measure of his big toe.
    Some toe he's got

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    You are always bang on the money with your reports JB and tonight I can't disagree with anything. That was Hallberg's best game in a Hibs shirt and he was definitely MoM.

Also thought Kevin Nisbet had an excellent game. A very clever footballer with a big future ahead of him.

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Porto was lucky to stay on the park after kicking the ball away about 5 mins after getting booked. Madden did us a huge favour by not giving him a second yellow. For that reason I would say he was poor, I'll be happy to see MacGregor starting with Hanlon for the last 3 games.

Excellent report

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberSauzee View Post
    Porto was lucky to stay on the park after kicking the ball away about 5 mins after getting booked. Madden did us a huge favour by not giving him a second yellow. For that reason I would say he was poor, I'll be happy to see MacGregor starting with Hanlon for the last 3 games.
    Porto was in Madden's face easrly doors when the United player threw the ball 15 yards past the last defender at a free kick in a clear effirt to waste time If its playground politics, they started it and ther complaints were coming when they needed the time they previously wasted. Madden knew he couldn't then change his mind. Id have to go back over the commentary but I'd guess Craigen was the comentator to point it out and start the debate

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by O'Rourke3; 09-05-2021 at 09:55 AM.

It was a pretty comfortable afternoon without Hibs having to hit top form, although both goals were first class (albeit the second shouldn't have counted).
    Hallberg set the tone with his energy and was still going strong in stoppage time.
    Nisbet looked sharp and confident and, once gaps appeared in the second half, Boyle really hit his stride.
    Just one save from Macey but it was an impressive one.
    We kept United at bay by having significantly more possession, which is how it should be.
    As someone else pointed out, the pitch did appear to slow things down a bit, despite all the rain. Was the grass a bit longer than usual?
    Both Boyle and Murphy were caught out when the ball seemed to stick and an early Nisbet cross didn't travel across the box. Something to consider for the final...

Thanks and welcome back.