hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nisbet v Shankland

Hoping for a big performance from Nisbet tomorrow given Steve Clarke will no doubt be watching. It gives him a great chance to directly compare Nisbet and Shankland with them both on the pitch at the same time and he'll see how they handle a big match.

As far as getting in the Euro 2020 squad goes I don't think there's much in it between them. Before the last Scotland matches I'd actually thought Shankland might have been slightly ahead of Nisbet so I was delighted to see Kevin getting in the squad. On goals and assists Nisbet is well ahead this season however Shankland is a little ahead of Kevin re experience of being in Scotland squads and has 3 caps to Kevin's 1 as a sub. On balance I'd hope, all things considered, Kevin has a slight edge.

Tomorrow is a huge game for both of them, if one of them stands out ahead of the other it could go a long way to getting them into the Euro 2020 squad, particularly for whoever is on the winning team as they'll get another chance to impress in the final.

I suppose McNulty might still have hopes of getting into the squad, though I don't think he's done much until he put in a good performance against Aberdeen in the quarter final. No doubt he'll be hoping to do the same again tomorrow and make Clarke sit up and take notice.

Good luck for tomorrow Kevin. 👍
    Last edited by 007; 07-05-2021 at 09:40 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hoping for a big performance from Nisbet tomorrow given Steve Clarke will no doubt be watching. It gives him a great chance to directly compare Nisbet and Shankland with them both on the pitch at the same time and he'll see how they handle a big match.

As far as getting in the Euro 2020 squad goes I don't think there's much in it between them. Before the last Scotland matches I'd actually thought Shankland might have been slightly ahead of Nisbet so I was delighted to see Kevin getting in the squad. On goals and assists Nisbet is well ahead this season however Shankland is a little ahead of Kevin re experience of being in Scotland squads and has 3 caps to Kevin's 1 as a sub. On balance I'd hope, all things considered, Kevin has a slight edge.

Tomorrow is a huge game for both of them, if one of them stands out ahead of the other it could go a long way to getting them into the Euro 2020 squad, particularly for whoever is on the winning team as they'll get another chance to impress in the final.

I suppose McNulty might still have hopes of getting into the squad, though I don't think he's done much until he put in a good performance against Aberdeen in the quarter final. No doubt he'll be hoping to do the same again tomorrow and make Clarke sit up and take notice.

Good luck for tomorrow Kevin. 👍
    Don’t forget that McNulty’s ‘good’ performance was against an atrocious display by Aberdeen, possibly their worst of the season. If we turn up tomorrow, Shankland will find it hard to shine. A couple of goals from Nisbet will seal his place in the Scotland squad.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    i think mcnulty's international goose is cooked, until he can demonstrate an ability to sustain good form over a season.

First Team Breakthrough
    A few matchwinners in both teams..hope Doidge comes out on top

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Hope it turns out the same way as Doidge v Shankland

Joking apart I still think that Lawrence Shankland has improved as a player and he together with a slimmed down and hungry Marc McNulty and the hard working Nicky Clark will have to be closely watched

GGTTH

For me there’s no comparison as far as this season goes.

Nisbet has been far better and his stats show this.

Shankland however is probably better with his back to goal and has some nice touches to hold the play up which may suit Scotland more. In fairness to Shankland I’m not sure how many chances the Dundee Utd team create.

McNulty is miles off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    For me there’s no comparison as far as this season goes.

Nisbet has been far better and his stats show this.

Shankland however is probably better with his back to goal and has some nice touches to hold the play up which may suit Scotland more. In fairness to Shankland I’m not sure how many chances the Dundee Utd team create.

McNulty is miles off it.
    Shanklands only argument could be that he’s a better finisher. Nisbet is outstanding coming short and linking the play, Shankland gets nowhere near him in that regard.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    A few matchwinners in both teams..hope Doidge comes out on top
    Didn’t realise that Doidge has scored in every round ,,, maybe he’s going to do a “Keith , Keith “ and score in every game ,, then win it 🤞
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Good first half by Nisbet, definitely better than Shankland. Hopefully same again in the 2nd half.

@hibs.net private member Bad Habits's Avatar
    Nisbet is miles ahead, Shankland has been gubbins this season

Dykes injured for QPR today. Nisbet must be a cert for the squad.

Left by mutual consent!
    Both are quality.

Shankland would score a barrell load in our side

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Shankland is a very good Championship striker much like Keatings. Couldn’t lace Doidge, Nisbet or Boyles boots.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Don’t get where this chat that Shankland is a better finisher, Nisbet had a better goal ratio in the lower league but just never got the hype that Shankland did
    Last edited by 1875Sean; 08-05-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post
    Don’t get where this chat that Shankland is a better finisher, Nisbey had a better goal ratio in the lower league but just never got the hype that Shankland did
    And we should be glad for that

First Team Breakthrough
    Two great finishes today. Even if Doidge was offside, that was a smart finish. He should've had two, Madden should've played the advantage when Boyle was chopped.

First Team Breakthrough
    I agree with previous poster, think Shankland would score plenty for Hibs but having to cough a fee in the region if £1million would probably prohibit any such transfer regrettably.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think the fact that Shanklands most prolific seasons have happened at a lower level says it all.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    I agree with previous poster, think Shankland would score plenty for Hibs but having to cough a fee in the region if £1million would probably prohibit any such transfer regrettably.
    Sorry but not a chance anyone is paying a million quid for him

First Team Breakthrough
    I am sure he could score lots at a better team in the SPL such as Hibernian.

First Team Breakthrough
    If Kevin heads south in the summer, I'd be delighted to sign Shankland..if under £1million it'd be good business.

Both Nisbet and Shankland were prolific at lower levels.

Nisbet has continued to score having moved to a new team at a higher level, but Shankland has stalled despite being with the same team.

So Nisbet for me. Also does a lot of work dropping back to pressure the opposition midfield.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Nisbet has definitely excelled and a part of that has been the development of his partnership with Doidge. You get the feeling with United that they have tried to fit in 3 strikers and lost the balance in midfield to supply them. If Nisbet was to leave then Shankland would be a good signing evem at £1m as I suspect Nisbet will go for far moe than £3m. Huge credit to Hibs for rejecting the offers in January when it must have been tempting to cash in.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Was Shankland playing today, never noticed him, saw Nisbet though 😆🇳🇬🇳🇬

Many were seeing that battle as a head to head for the last strikers spot at the euros. Only one winner today.

@hibs.net private member
    Shankland is a good player and I would be more than happy to see him in a Hibs jersey. Nisbet has a far better all round game though and he definitely has the potential to reach a far higher level than Shankland IMO.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Didn’t realise that Doidge has scored in every round ,,, maybe he’s going to do a “Keith , Keith “ and score in every game ,, then win it 🤞
    Game on...........

@hibs.net private member
    Nisbet is the better player but I'd love to see the two of them in a Hibs side. Shankland is a very good SPFL level striker and like Nisbet clever and good on the ball

@hibs.net private member
    Just thinking that the last time I saw such a meteoric rise by a striker through the leagues as Nisbet was probably Mo Johnston.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Nisbet is the better player but I'd love to see the two of them in a Hibs side. Shankland is a very good SPFL level striker and like Nisbet clever and good on the ball
    Oddly, we may never see Nisbet play in the flesh. One of the annoying consequences of this crazy year