hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31
  1. #1

    Petrol station etiquette

    Just went to fill up at the petrol station at Morrison's granton. Car sitting right at the entrance nearly blocking others from getting in. I go in and choose my pump just as the car at the pump leaves.

    Driver who was covering the enterance pulls up the next pump along and tells me I cut in front and I 'stole' her pump. Explained she was blocking the enterance and needs to select the pump she wants to use while she claims you wait blocking the entrance.

    I'm not going to lie, it grinds my gears when folk block the entrance to a petrol station, so who was in the right??


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    20,197
    Also, those who don't realise that the pump hose will stretch round their car so you don't have to go to a pump with the filler on the same side.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,681
    Some people think you just hover around and go to the first available pump rather than pick a queue. You wouldnít do that in any other queueing system.

    United we stand here....

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just went to fill up at the petrol station at Morrison's granton. Car sitting right at the entrance nearly blocking others from getting in. I go in and choose my pump just as the car at the pump leaves.

    Driver who was covering the enterance pulls up the next pump along and tells me I cut in front and I 'stole' her pump. Explained she was blocking the enterance and needs to select the pump she wants to use while she claims you wait blocking the entrance.

    I'm not going to lie, it grinds my gears when folk block the entrance to a petrol station, so who was in the right??
    You go in and queue at a pump that fits your car (99.999% of us do!), then wait your turn, what she was doing would cause queues out onto the road?...
    Once in your 'pump queue'you can then rage at the person in front floating about in the station looking at sweets, biscuits, maps etc... that last bit's more for the pet peeves thread mind!

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    cým fallain

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You go in and queue at a pump that fits your car (99.999% of us do!), then wait your turn, what she was doing would cause queues out onto the road?...
    Once in your 'pump queue'you can then rage at the person in front floating about in the station looking at sweets, biscuits, maps etc... that last bit's more for the pet peeves thread mind!

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Aww donít get me started..

    Get out the car
    Find the plastic glove things
    Slowly put them on
    Forget how fuel filler cap opens
    Open fuel filler cap
    Fill up with £410 worth of fuel
    Peel off plastic gloves
    Wander up to the entrance
    Realise you forgot your card
    Go back to the car to pick up card
    Wander around the shop picking up juice and sweeties
    Forget how a card reader works
    Pay for fuel
    Wander back to the car whilst examining the logs for sale even though you donít have an open fire
    Complete a full 30 point check of your vehicle
    Get back in the car
    Adjust mirrors
    Seatbelt
    Dish out the juice and sweeties
    Pull away
    Stall
    Revert back to the checking mirrors stage
    Pull away.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aww donít get me started..

    Get out the car
    Find the plastic glove things
    Slowly put them on
    Forget how fuel filler cap opens
    Open fuel filler cap
    Fill up with £410 worth of fuel
    Peel off plastic gloves
    Wander up to the entrance
    Realise you forgot your card
    Go back to the car to pick up card
    Wander around the shop picking up juice and sweeties
    Forget how a card reader works
    Pay for fuel
    Wander back to the car whilst examining the logs for sale even though you donít have an open fire
    Complete a full 30 point check of your vehicle
    Get back in the car
    Adjust mirrors
    Seatbelt
    Dish out the juice and sweeties
    Pull away
    Stall
    Revert back to the checking mirrors stage
    Pull away.
    Ha ha... I feel your pain!

    I wonder if you've been in the garage at the same time as the 'mill stone' :






    Ps... sooo glad she's not on here anymore!



    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    cým fallain

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,085
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aww donít get me started..

    Get out the car
    Find the plastic glove things
    Slowly put them on
    Forget how fuel filler cap opens
    Open fuel filler cap
    Fill up with £410 worth of fuel
    Peel off plastic gloves
    Wander up to the entrance
    Realise you forgot your card
    Go back to the car to pick up card
    Wander around the shop picking up juice and sweeties
    Forget how a card reader works
    Pay for fuel
    Wander back to the car whilst examining the logs for sale even though you donít have an open fire
    Complete a full 30 point check of your vehicle
    Get back in the car
    Adjust mirrors
    Seatbelt
    Dish out the juice and sweeties
    Pull away
    Stall
    Revert back to the checking mirrors stage
    Pull away.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    53
    Posts
    21,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, those who don't realise that the pump hose will stretch round their car so you don't have to go to a pump with the filler on the same side.
    This, why people queue when there are vacant pumps is beyond me.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    54
    Posts
    26,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This, why people queue when there are vacant pumps is beyond me.
    I'll wait if there's only one car. I normally have to use unmanned supermarket petrol stations and the hoses are always minging and there's almost never paper towels for your hands. Manoeuvring the hose round to the "wrong" side is far less inviting in those conditions.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    37,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, those who don't realise that the pump hose will stretch round their car so you don't have to go to a pump with the filler on the same side.
    Aye, but if youíve got bad eyes, you wonít know how much youíve spent

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, but if youíve got bad eyes, you wonít know how much youíve spent
    Mr Magoo should not be driving

  14. #13
    Now here's a thing, I got a second had car yesterday and went to put fuel in. Check the dash to see what side the hose was knnon the gauge. It showed right hand side, pulled up and it was on the left. Lifehacks on Facebook have been lying to me

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now here's a thing, I got a second had car yesterday and went to put fuel in. Check the dash to see what side the hose was knnon the gauge. It showed right hand side, pulled up and it was on the left. Lifehacks on Facebook have been lying to me
    Either that or it's a cut and shut.

  16. #15
    People also think stations are exempt from mask wearing.

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Either that or it's a cut and shut.
    🥺 Why would you say that!!!🥺😥

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    53
    Posts
    21,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now here's a thing, I got a second had car yesterday and went to put fuel in. Check the dash to see what side the hose was knnon the gauge. It showed right hand side, pulled up and it was on the left. Lifehacks on Facebook have been lying to me
    Are you sure the picture doesnít show hose on right side of pump but the wee arrow points to the left?

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    74
    Posts
    19,618
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll wait if there's only one car. I normally have to use unmanned supermarket petrol stations and the hoses are always minging and there's almost never paper towels for your hands. Manoeuvring the hose round to the "wrong" side is far less inviting in those conditions.
    Iíve often found that the length of available hose is a bit short and getting it inserted ( pardon the expression ) can be difficult. I once stupidly damaged my car trying to stretch the hose tightly into the aperture. It is also risky to allow the hose to lie over the roof of your car, causing scratches to the paintwork. I will continue to queue sensibly to fill up on the side of my choosing.

  20. #19
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Gross Kienitz
    Posts
    14,520
    Or, you park away from the pumps and walk into the shop to buy a car wash card,get back in your car and drive around back where the entrance is to the car wash and find an empty car wash but a car parked in front of the entrance. 10 minutes later a guy you saw in the shop turns up and gets in the car and then drives into the car wash. I could have been in and washed in the time he took to get his card.

  21. #20
    Coaching Staff sleeping giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    18,559
    I think I just hate everyone.
    Its an age thing :-)

  22. #21
    Testimonial Due Hibby Bairn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,961
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I just hate everyone.
    Its an age thing :-)
    👍

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    53
    Posts
    21,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíve often found that the length of available hose is a bit short and getting it inserted ( pardon the expression ) can be difficult. I once stupidly damaged my car trying to stretch the hose tightly into the aperture. It is also risky to allow the hose to lie over the roof of your car, causing scratches to the paintwork. I will continue to queue sensibly to fill up on the side of my choosing.
    Eh? Park your car properly at the pump and bring the hose around the back of your car, have never touched my car with it yet!

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    19,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You go in and queue at a pump that fits your car (99.999% of us do!), then wait your turn, what she was doing would cause queues out onto the road?...
    Once in your 'pump queue'you can then rage at the person in front floating about in the station looking at sweets, biscuits, maps etc... that last bit's more for the pet peeves thread mind!
    Maybe 99.999% queueing at pump rather than blocking entrance etc, but shirley not for going to a pump that fits the car. I'll guess 75% for that, and the other 25%, who've got better things to do than queue, just go for the shortest queue whether or not the pump fits.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,347
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe 99.999% queueing at pump rather than blocking entrance etc, but shirley not for going to a pump that fits the car. I'll guess 75% for that, and the other 25%, who've got better things to do than queue, just go for the shortest queue whether or not the pump fits.
    Every pump "fits".

    If folk just went to the first free one regardless of which side it was on, there would be fewer delays.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every pump "fits".

    If folk just went to the first free one regardless of which side it was on, there would be fewer delays.
    This is my philosophy. Thanks to flexi time I always went mid morning or afternoon to avoid stupid queues when I could.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  27. #26
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der HŲlle
    Posts
    30,510
    I generally just scoot up to the first available pump and give the finger to anybody that was queueing.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    53,287
    Bollox to etiquette, just dont put petrol in your diesel car.

  29. #28
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    50
    Posts
    18,223
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bollox to etiquette, just dont put petrol in your diesel car.
    John Bishop - petrol in a diesel car.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 17-05-2021 at 06:38 PM.

  30. #29
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    33,748
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bollox to etiquette, just dont put petrol in your diesel car.
    Youíve done that as well then.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  31. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bollox to etiquette, just dont put petrol in your diesel car.
    I used to work for a Government transport agency. We were the laughing stock of our HQ because in the first month after a change from petrol to diesel we had 6 'wrong fuel' incidents. Not me I must add.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)