hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something tells me Ross is going to do something a little different than most are expecting and play a flat 442.

Missing Gogic is more than just losing some steel in midfield, he's crucial to the way we play the 352, any CB can push on (particularly McGinn) and Gogic slots in seamlessly. He's really good at it and I think Ross will be wary that without him we may lose the attacking variation of having CBs pushing on a bit.

With that in mind I can see Ross deciding to play 442 instead of trying to force Hallberg or Magennis into a 352, which in all honesty might not be a terrible idea.

-----------------------Macey (I'd prefer Marciano)

McGinn------Porteous------Hanlon------Doig

Boyle----------Irvine----------Newell------Wright

------------------Nisbet-------Doidge---------------

Wouldn't be my first choice but something tells me that's Ross's team without Gogic. Worth noting that team could be shuffled slightly with Wright moving inside to make a 352 if need be during the game which Ross also likes to do.
    If Ross thinks that United will play 3 upfront again I think he’s bound to go with a back 4.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    So much riding on this game so I don’t expect JR to tinker with the team much. Hallberg in for Gogic. Rest of the team picks itself.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think Macey will definitely be in goals tomorrow. Whether he should be is another thing.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    I think Macey will definitely be in goals tomorrow. Whether he should be is another thing.
    Why shouldn't he be in goals? He has just committed himself to the club for the next two years. He hasn't let the team down in the games he has played IMO. Marciano is leaving.

I'd play Lewis at left back, Doig left midfield and go 442.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsequential View Post
    Why shouldn't he be in goals? He has just committed himself to the club for the next two years. He hasn't let the team down in the games he has played IMO. Marciano is leaving.
    Because it’s a cup semi final and we should play the best available player in each position. Which, even if he is leaving, is STILL Marciano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    Because it’s a cup semi final and we should play the best available player in each position. Which, even if he is leaving, is STILL Marciano.

Can ANYONE actually say why Rocky is better than Macey? Serious question. We've
    ben told plenty times that Rocky is better than previous Hibs keepers. I wouldn't disagree, but why is he better than Macey?

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    ben told plenty times that Rocky is better than previous Hibs keepers. I wouldn't disagree, but why is he better than Macey?
    Because many on Hibsnet say he is better than Macey. Macey has only played a handful of games for Hibs. So where does this expert judgement of the goalkeepers come from? As far as I understand it Macey is the cup goalie as decided by Jack Ross. The only opinion that matters imo.

Coaching Staff
    Given how long Marciano has been here and his quality over that time the more pertinent question is why we wouldn’t play him over someone who is still pretty unproven. You certainly couldn’t say that Macey is the better keeper just now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Given how long Marciano has been here and his quality over that time the more pertinent question is why we wouldn’t play him over someone who is still pretty unproven. You certainly couldn’t say that Macey is the better keeper just now.
    You should be in politics..."the more pertinent question is"
    And you are correct, I haven't said Macey is the better keeper.
    Still waiting on the answer though.

Coaching Staff
    You should be in politics..."the more pertinent question is"
    And you are correct, I haven't said Macey is the better keeper.
    Still waiting on the answer though.
    You haven’t asked the right question.

Left by mutual consent!
    You haven’t asked the right question.
    Yea OK

First Team Breakthrough
    Inconsequential..I am happy for either Macey or Rocky between the sticks. We need our outfield players to turn up more pertinently.

Marciano at Hampden? Never had a good game there

@hibs.net private member
    This team for me

Macey

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Hallberg
    Newell
    Irvine
    Doig

Nisbet
    Doidge

Not Hallberg biggest fan but probably the best we have to replace Gogic

Big test for Ross and the team after already loosing last 2 semi-finals but pretty confident we will win it.
    Vital we take any chances we get early doors . Think we will win 2-0 and on to the final

Winning team.

Macey

Whittaker
    McGregor
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Doig

Hallberg
    Newell
    Irvine

Nisbet
    Doidge

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I could see it going to penalties again.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I'd play Lewis at left back, Doig left midfield and go 442.
    Good shout Doig could replace Gogic can do the DM role.
    Doig breaking from midfield and running at their central defenders will scare the hell out of them.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 07-05-2021 at 08:11 PM.

How does he become "proven"?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    How does he become "proven"?
    You might be confusing the question of whether he might be a good goalkeeper in future with whether he should play tomorrow.

I’ll worry about next year when it arrives. Just now our best keeper is Marciano. Must be, or Macey would have been our first choice by now.

Might as well give Drey Wright another opportunity instead of Boyle if we are just going to see if we can develop players that aren’t as good as the ones in front of them just now.

Might as well give Drey Wright another opportunity instead of Boyle
    Steady on there old chap.

Good grief.

You might be confusing the question of whether he might be a good goalkeeper in future with whether he should play tomorrow.

I’ll worry about next year when it arrives. Just now our best keeper is Marciano. Must be, or Macey would have been our first choice by now.

Might as well give Drey Wright another opportunity instead of Boyle if we are just going to see if we can develop players that aren’t as good as the ones in front of them just now.
    I think you’re doing Jack Ross a disservice aren’t you? Only an idiot would play a player in any position in a semi final that was inferior to somebody else at the club.

It’s fairly obvious the Hibs coaching staff like what they see and whilst theres been no reason to drop Marciano this season they’re clearly equally comfortable with Macey in goals.

Rocky seems to be hugely popular with some fans and that’s fine, but the comments from those same fans about Macey’s supposed mistakes when he’s come in are just mental. The boy has looked very good indeed and in a cup game I’m taking him over Rocky if just for the fact Rocky never saves pens.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    Rocky has to play for me. Scottish cup semi final in a year were it guarantees euro football til Xmas you MUST pick the strongest possible team available.

100% agree with this . Had Rocky been in goals against Motherwell,, we more than likely would have won in the 90 mins .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    I think you’re doing Jack Ross a disservice aren’t you? Only an idiot would play a player in any position in a semi final that was inferior to somebody else at the club.

It’s fairly obvious the Hibs coaching staff like what they see and whilst theres been no reason to drop Marciano this season they’re clearly equally comfortable with Macey in goals.

Rocky seems to be hugely popular with some fans and that’s fine, but the comments from those same fans about Macey’s supposed mistakes when he’s come in are just mental. The boy has looked very good indeed and in a cup game I’m taking him over Rocky if just for the fact Rocky never saves pens.
    Macey is second choice. No doubt about it and no point pretending otherwise.

They might be comfortable that giving him the opportunity is worth it for whatever reason but they would certainly be making a conscious decision to play a player that is inferior to another one if they did.

Macey is second choice. No doubt about it and no point pretending otherwise.

They might be comfortable that giving him the opportunity is worth it for whatever reason but they would certainly be making a conscious decision to play a player that is inferior to another one if they did.
    We don't actually know he's inferior- although we do seem to have a lot of top goalie analysts on here at the moment (that also seem oblivious to any flaws Rocky has).

So you are confirming you believe the manager is making a deliberate decision to play an inferior player in a cup semi? You must think Jack Ross is a very poor manager and basically an idiot?- lets face it, he will be well aware of the doubters amongst the support who've been determined from the start that he can't win a game that matters. He'll also be well aware of the potential massive financial implications to the club... and yet he's playing a player in a key position that he himself believes is inferior to the alternative?

Left by mutual consent!
    Pretty comfortable with Macey in goal tomorrow. Looks like he's our #1 next season.

Like others have said, I also hope Boyle runs riot tomorrow with his pace and has himself a standout performance at Hampden proving a point to the SFA setup that overlooked him for Scotland.

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Doig
    Newell
    Irvine
    Magennis

Nisbet
    Doidge

I feel he'll go with Magennis over Halberg

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Boyle
    Doig
    Newell
    Irvine
    Magennis

Nisbet
    Doidge

I feel he'll go with Magennis over Halberg

I think Magennis has always started out on the left when he has played this season, I would be surprised if he brings him into the centre for this game.

I’ve not seen a lot of Dundee Utd this season but against Aberdeen they played a high tempo pressing game from what I could tell. I’m no expert but I would have thought the longer we can keep the ball the more we can take the sting it if that as the more energy they will be using. With that in mind, I think Hallbergs main attribute is ball retention, if he can sit a bit deeper and keep the ball moving it could be quite useful today.

I’m not saying Hallberg is a world beater but I think we keep the ball better when he’s in the team, IMO that could be important today.

Rocky is the vastly more experienced goalkeeper both domestically and internationally and is now at the peak of his career.

He is very solid with a strong technique and is very comfortable playing with the current defence and has shown on many occasions that he is capable of making the killer save that can change or save a game.

Macey might become all these things but its still a huge unknown. The first rule of big games is to play your best team available and go with experience.

This is a totally unnecessary risk to take.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Rocky is the vastly more experienced goalkeeper both domestically and internationally and is now at the peak of his career.

He is very solid with a strong technique and is very comfortable playing with the current defence and has shown on many occasions that he is capable of making the killer save that can change or save a game.

Macey might become all these things but its still a huge unknown. The first rule of big games is to play your best team available and go with experience.

This is a totally unnecessary risk to take.
    Totally agree. He needs to start and I think he will.