hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Matt Macey

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Strange that he’s not been picking him in the league games then don’t you think?

I wouldn’t have any issues with him playing in the final. He’s been, in the main, fine. But if he is going to then he should be in for the last couple of league games as well. No point in chopping and changing now. Give him and the defence a bit more time playing together

It's very common to play your other goalie in cup games, De Gea was 1st team pick not so long ago and hardly played in any cup matches, now he's dropped down and is only playing in cup games.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Looks as if Matt Macey is going to face unprecedented levels of scrutiny from a section of our fans on the basis that he is not Ofir Marciano. Absolute madness some of the stuff that's been said on here this week. There has been absolutely zero evidence to suggest he's in any way inferior to Marciano- people are looking for stuff.
    I agree with Andy, if you had been paying attention, there's very little if anyone saying he's a poor keeper? 99% of what i've read is folk saying they think rocky is the best keeper of the two, which is why he plays in all the league games.

Jack Ross has decided to play our 2nd string keeper in the cup, not something i'd have done especially with what's at stake and how little we actually win this thing, but thats why they pay him the big bucks.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    While I find the switching keepers thing a bit strange, I can only assume that Jack Ross has a good reason.

Either he's obliged to play Macey as part of the agreement that brought him here or he doesn't think there's that much between the pair of them in open play (each with pros & cons), but Macey is a better option in the event of a penalty shoot-out.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I agree with Andy, if you had been paying attention, there's very little if anyone saying he's a poor keeper?
    I can see you're really paying attention seeing as you're suggesting I'm claiming people are saying he's a poor keeper. Never said anything remotely like that.

I said he seems to be under an extremely high level of scrutiny from a section of our fans. Not even close to saying people are calling him a poor keeper.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I can see you're really paying attention seeing as you're suggesting I'm claiming people are saying he's a poor keeper. Never said anything remotely like that.

I said he seems to be under an extremely high level of scrutiny from a section of our fans. Not even close to saying people are calling him a poor keeper.
    Where is the high scrutiny from all these fans, all most are saying is they have a favourite keeper who they think is best?

Unprecedented pressure, i really don't think so?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Yeah, I absolutely agree. I thought he did a good job getting back and covering when he realised where Robertson was. As you said, if he stayed on his line the Utd player has a free shot.
    Think it was Robson was that the shot with his right foot which just went past.

Where is the high scrutiny from all these fans, all most are saying is they have a favourite keeper who they think is best?

Unprecedented pressure, i really don't think so?
    That's good we're actually back to talking about what I said, as opposed to stuff I didn't.... and you're entitled to disagree. You will always read what you want to depending on what latest strong viewpoint you have (and I know you were whining about our 'deliberately weakened' team on Sat- so of course we can't deviate from that narrative), but my opinion is that some of the stuff being aimed at Macey for incidents in games has been OTT. He's basically done nothing remotely seriously wrong but there's been plenty fault picking.

I've read at least 1 post saying we'd have beaten Motherwell in 90 minutes with Rocky in goals. I can't even fathom why that would have been the case, but no doubt you'll be able to tell me why that was a reasonable assumption.

That's good we're actually back to talking about what I said, as opposed to stuff I didn't.... and you're entitled to disagree. You will always read what you want to depending on what latest strong viewpoint you have (and I know you were whining about our 'deliberately weakened' team on Sat- so of course we can't deviate from that narrative), but my opinion is that some of the stuff being aimed at Macey for incidents in games has been OTT. He's basically done nothing remotely seriously wrong but there's been plenty fault picking.

I've read at least 1 post saying we'd have beaten Motherwell in 90 minutes with Rocky in goals. I can't even fathom why that would have been the case, but no doubt you'll be able to tell me why that was a reasonable assumption.
    He’d have saved at least one of the two goals, and by that reckoning there is a fair chance we’d have won the game comfortably. Whether you want people to ignore it or not, his positioning for both was brutal. Other than that he’s been steady and solid, without having a massive amount to do.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    He’d have saved at least one of the two goals, and by that reckoning there is a fair chance we’d have won the game comfortably. Whether you want people to ignore it or not, his positioning for both was brutal. Other than that he’s been steady and solid, without having a massive amount to do.
    It’s easy to say that but based on his attempts either side of the Motherwell game, vs St Johnstone (both the Craig and Middleton goals) and Rangers where he parried an effort got the danger area I’m not sure where your confidence comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    It’s easy to say that but based on his attempts either side of the Motherwell game, vs St Johnstone (both the Craig and Middleton goals) and Rangers where he parried an effort got the danger area I’m not sure where your confidence comes from.
    The Middleton one? The boy had an open goal due to a mistake from Porteous, Rocky went to offer him a pass home, not his fault at all. Liam Craig’s also didn’t go into the middle of the goal at snail pace. Big differences.

@hibs.net private member
    The Middleton one? The boy had an open goal due to a mistake from Porteous, Rocky went to offer him a pass home, not his fault at all. Liam Craig’s also didn’t go into the middle of the goal at snail pace. Big differences.
    Hanlon was there for the option - he was miles out of his goal then slow to get back to a shot low and in the middle.

For the Craig one he was slow to dive.

No idea what he was doing for the Rangers one.

Hanlon was there for the option - he was miles out of his goal then slow to get back to a shot low and in the middle.

Porteous literally passed the ball to a boy who had an open goal, portioning any blame at Rocky for that is laughable. His positioning was totally fine and it would’ve been a wonder save had he saved it. Whether slow to dive for Craig’s one is irrelevant, he wouldn’t have had to dive for the Motherwell one, which is the issue. They’re totally different scenario’s. The rangers one you’re complaining that he made a save?

I’ll stand by it, Marciano saves both of those goals against Motherwell with some comfort due to his positioning and reflexes. He does it time and time again.

@hibs.net private member
    Porteous literally passed the ball to a boy who had an open goal, portioning any blame at Rocky for that is laughable. His positioning was totally fine and it would’ve been a wonder save had he saved it. Whether slow to dive for Craig’s one is irrelevant, he wouldn’t have had to dive for the Motherwell one, which is the issue. They’re totally different scenario’s. The rangers one you’re complaining that he made a save?

I’ll stand by it, Marciano saves both of those goals against Motherwell with some comfort due to his positioning and reflexes. He does it time and time again.
    There’s no doubt Porteous caused it but if the goalie isn’t there as the last line of defence what is he there for? He stood behind Hanlon - could’ve been an easy save. Could’ve been a good save if he had been quicker to dive.

The Craig one he was slow to move.

The Rangers one he made a save and somehow managed to turn it back in to danger.

All just things to consider when making the assumption he’d have “definitely” saved the Motherwell goals. I think he’d have dived for them but can’t guarantee a save - based on the recent examples listed.

I think the reasons for the scrutiny is two fold:
    1. He isn't Marciano. The vast majority of us like and trust Rocky. This has been something we have built up over the past 5 years where the guy has saved our asses on numerous occasions. He has been reliable and most of us hoped he would stay.
    2. Marciano's predecessors were average to poor so we are concerned about the risk of being left in the same position. Macey has very little positive career history having played very little football so the jury is out meantime. A couple of good performances and no rickets and it will go away.

I thought he was very good in hellish conditions on his debut at Parkhead. Strong wrists and a shot saver. Since then he has been back up to Rocky outwith the cup.
    I thought he did well on Saturday making one decisive save from Shankland and holding one deflected at him from close range late on. I didn't buy into the narrative that he made mistakes at the Mothrwell goals and didn't hear any criticism in the media so must conclude that some Hibs supporters were being a little unreasonable.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 10-05-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Coaching Staff

Strange that you see these ones as mistakes but won’t hear any sort of questioning about Macey for the Motherwell goals.

Great that Macey is being supported but there appears to be a lot of it driven by some sort of bad feeling towards Rocky which isn’t that necessary.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Strange that you see these ones as mistakes but won’t hear any sort of questioning about Macey for the Motherwell goals.

Great that Macey is being supported but there appears to be a lot of it driven by some sort of bad feeling towards Rocky which isn’t that necessary.
    No bad feeling to Marciano on my part - just affording the same scrutiny to Rocky that we seem keen to put onto Macey.

Coaching Staff
    No bad feeling to Marciano on my part - just affording the same scrutiny to Rocky that we seem keen to put onto Macey.
    Most of what I’ve read is the other way.

Rocky has had 5 good years, he has a pedigree before us and played nearly 30 international games.

Suggestions from some that Macey is just as good or even better, that I’ve seen suggested, is what is drawing the scrutiny and discussion.

Fact is that Macey is back up. It wouldn’t be up for debate if Rocky was staying, regardless of the cup games and it remains to be seen what happens next season.

There’s no doubt Porteous caused it but if the goalie isn’t there as the last line of defence what is he there for? He stood behind Hanlon - could’ve been an easy save. Could’ve been a good save if he had been quicker to dive.

The Craig one he was slow to move.

The Rangers one he made a save and somehow managed to turn it back in to danger.

All just things to consider when making the assumption he’d have “definitely” saved the Motherwell goals. I think he’d have dived for them but can’t guarantee a save - based on the recent examples listed.
    He wouldn’t have had to dive for the second one, his positioning would’ve been right and he’d have simply picked the ball up. The first one I’m fairly comfortable that his reflexes would’ve stopped a fairly tame shot.

Personally would prefer Rocky in, but Macey isn't a bad option. I don't think we'll win or lose the game from either one playing.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    I agree with Andy, if you had been paying attention, there's very little if anyone saying he's a poor keeper? 99% of what i've read is folk saying they think rocky is the best keeper of the two, which is why he plays in all the league games.

Jack Ross has decided to play our 2nd string keeper in the cup, not something i'd have done especially with what's at stake and how little we actually win this thing, but thats why they pay him the big bucks.
    On twitter a lot of the arsenal fans and Plymouth fans were saying he was ****. He's been ok for us so far.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Personally would prefer Rocky in, but Macey isn't a bad option. I don't think we'll win or lose the game from either one playing.
    Aye.

@hibs.net private member
    He wouldn’t have had to dive for the second one, his positioning would’ve been right and he’d have simply picked the ball up. The first one I’m fairly comfortable that his reflexes would’ve stopped a fairly tame shot.
    Yeah it’s all just assumptions. I’m assuming he’s off form (based on the goals listed) and wouldn’t have saved either. If he had he might well have parried it out to someone for a rebound.

All just guess work from both of us though.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Both are good keepers Andy. Rocky will get the last two league games and bow out with all our best wishes, after a terrific spell at the club . Macey will be kept fresh and confident for the final. He's earned the gloves for the showpiece game (for me) and I don't think has done much wrong. If anything, in all the cup games, he's made some good and important saves.

Hopefully both have a winners medal round their neck in a fortnight and Rocky leaves a cup winner too

Quote Originally Posted by AliboyFC View Post
    On twitter a lot of the arsenal fans and Plymouth fans were saying he was ****. He's been ok for us so far.
    If Plymouth fans were saying that, fair enough. If Arsenal fans were saying that, he only played twice for the first team, so unless they were regularly watching him train I’d say that’s bollocks. Like a lot of stuff on Twitter.

Just checking, the season he was at Plymouth they’d just gone up to league one and they regularly yo-yo between the two leagues. They were relegated that year after finishing 4th bottom, and conceded the 2nd most goals in the league, but that’s probably also because the teams in that league are just better than Plymouth.

Very hard to draw any conclusions.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 10-05-2021 at 04:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Agreed.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    If Plymouth fans were saying that, fair enough. If Arsenal fans were saying that, he only played twice for the first team, so unless they were regularly watching him train I’d say that’s bollocks. Like a lot of stuff on Twitter.

Just checking, the season he was at Plymouth they’d just gone up to league one and they regularly yo-yo between the two leagues. They were relegated that year after finishing 4th bottom, and conceded the 2nd most goals in the league, but that’s probably also because the teams in that league are just better than Plymouth.

Very hard to draw any conclusions.
    Goalkeepers get a lot of stick when they find themselves on a hiding to nothing, if the team in front of them are piss poor then they get the blame for that when there's only so much you can do.

I always thought that Ben Williams was a very good keeper for us, but if you were to just judge it on his last few months with us when Butcher was in charge you wouldn't think that.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post

For such a short article he managed to include plenty of factual errors

Not sure if it's been mentioned but he won the FA Cup last season with Arsenal (He was on the bench) so would him one of a few select players that have won both cups if we win the final.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but he won the FA Cup last season with Arsenal (He was on the bench) so would him one of a few select players that have won both cups if we win the final.
    Along with Fraser Fyvie!