hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Matt Macey

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He had one shaky moment when he hesitated coming for a cross but other than that no concerns.

Been really consistent since he came in and made crucial saves at crucial times in previous games against Motherwell and Queen of the South as well.

Glad he's staying on 👍
    If we're thinking about the same moment with the Utd player Robertson having a great opportunity I liked the fact Macey realised if he committed going after the ball he was leaving an open goal. He quickly corrected and got back and while it looked awkward, it was possibly enough to put Robertson off.

I'm very happy with Macey and like yourself, glad he's staying on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    But has he had a good game, Polar Bear type performance. He hasn't done much wrong but has he had that much to do or made many good saves. I do think going there after 5 or 6 games and never having won may not be great psychologically for any player. Rocky has had a funny season this year. I can't remember him really being a standout in any game but then he really hasn't done much wrong(distribution aside and that has improved). He has had an Oxley type season for me where many of the shots on target have went in albeit not obviously his fault. The last few seasons he regularly made excellent stops and also the occasional howler.
    2-2 draw with rangers he was brilliant

Looked very assured and very vocal, came for crosses easily enough, a pretty decent keeper who will get better with more game time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Dunno your age mate I am old enough to have seen the likes of Goram and Leighton at Hibs...Rocky has been a really good keeper for us but he's not in their class

Too young when Goram was at Hibs but Leighton best in my time, I'd give you that Jim was better...Since Jim Leighton has there been better than rocky? theres certainly a fair few to choose from.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    If we're thinking about the same moment with the Utd player Robertson having a great opportunity I liked the fact Macey realised if he committed going after the ball he was leaving an open goal. He quickly corrected and got back and while it looked awkward, it was possibly enough to put Robertson off.

I'm very happy with Macey and like yourself, glad he's staying on.
    I don’t think anyone would be wanting the goalie to come that far out to take the ball would they? Alternatively they wouldn’t want the goalie to stay on his line and give the guy a free shot. As it is he narrowed the angle and if the guy had put it on target he had it covered - he even dived this time to show everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Too young when Goram was at Hibs but Leighton best in my time, I'd give you that Jim was better...Since Jim Leighton has there been better than rocky? theres certainly a fair few to choose from.
    No absolutely not mate Ben Williams was decent in a dreadful Hibs team but Rocky is deffo the best we've had since those 2

The manager was proved right and those of us who questioned his decision were just wrong. Well done Jack Ross and congratulations to Matt Macey for such an assured performance.

I would give Rocky the Aberdeen game but Macey the Celtic game and obviously he will now be the keeper for the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I don’t think anyone would be wanting the goalie to come that far out to take the ball would they? Alternatively they wouldn’t want the goalie to stay on his line and give the guy a free shot. As it is he narrowed the angle and if the guy had put it on target he had it covered - he even dived this time to show everyone.
    Yeah, I absolutely agree. I thought he did a good job getting back and covering when he realised where Robertson was. As you said, if he stayed on his line the Utd player has a free shot.

I thought Macey did Ok yesterday but nothing more than that. He only really had one save to make from Shankland and he dealt with that well. However, there were a couple of heart in the mouth moments when he came charging off his line for crosses and **** knows what he was doing when Newell went down injured but McNulty played on. He didn't deal with that situation at all well.

Marciano is the better keeper for me but it now looks like Ross is going to stick with the number 2 for the biggest Scottish Cup final in years. It's a big decision to make and he must get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    I thought Macey did Ok yesterday but nothing more than that. He only really had one save to make from Shankland and he dealt with that well. However, there were a couple of heart in the mouth moments when he came charging off his line for crosses and **** knows what he was doing when Newell went down injured but McNulty played on. He didn't deal with that situation at all well.

Marciano is the better keeper for me but it now looks like Ross is going to stick with the number 2 for the biggest Scottish Cup final in years. It's a big decision to make and he must get it right.
    Excellent. Not even 24 hours and we're back to ultimatums and references to Macey being number 2 keeper.

What happens if Ross makes the decision to go with Macey in the final, is that the wrong decision (since you've claimed he's the number two keeper at the club), do we need to expect Ross out threads?

It wasn’t a heart in the mouth moment. Coming off his line briefly, readjusting when he saw the trajectory and getting reset in his 6 yard box ensured his angles were perfect and he was on his front foot. It was literally perfect movement.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Macey did well yesterday - the one where he came out and the full back had the shot, Boyle was posted missing so we lacked cover - not a lot Macey could do.

Good save from Shankland as well.

Its not like we are choosing between Malkowski and Buffon here - both Macey and Rocky are decent keepers who............if they were really good would be playing down south.

But for the final?
    Do we choose the guy already talking about the "offers he has in Scotland from other clubs" or the guy who just signed a new contract with us?

Not even a contest imo.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It wasn’t a heart in the mouth moment. Coming off his line briefly, getting reset in his 6 yard box ensured his angles were perfect and he was on his front foot. It was literally perfect movement.
    There's been a fait bit of unfair criticism for that on here. Surely he's allowed to judge the flight of the ball before deciding whether to commit himself? I'd rather he use his height and come for crosses than not "hesitate" and simply stay on his line.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I didn’t get the fuss pre match from the “Macy Out” brigade . Macey has a long way to go to match Rocky’s consistency over a long period. However looks a safe pair of hands and an ample replacement. There’s probably not much in it, if anything, between both keepers. It’s still early days but the initial signs are promising.

@hibs.net private member

Rocky is a decent shot stopper but he’s not as good as your making out. There’s very little between the two of them but the fact Macey has been our cup keeper then he should play, also the fact he’s committed to Hibs where Rocky isn’t swings it further in Macey’s favour. I wouldn’t play Rocky again this season.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Looked very assured and very vocal, came for crosses easily enough, a pretty decent keeper who will get better with more game time.
    That's what I like about him, a keeper should always be coming for crosses in the box especially in today's game where the slightest touch on a keeper is a foul. Keep him in for the remainder I say.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Rocky is a decent shot stopper but he’s not as good as your making out. There’s very little between the two of them but the fact Macey has been our cup keeper then he should play, also the fact he’s committed to Hibs where Rocky isn’t swings it further in Macey’s favour. I wouldn’t play Rocky again this season.

We’ll miss Rocky when he’s gone. He’s been a very decent keeper for us.

Macey will play in the cup final. I’d have him studying videos of St Johnstone every spare moment and Rocky can help wrap up 3rd place for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    We’ll miss Rocky when he’s gone. He’s been a very decent keeper for us.

Macey will play in the cup final. I’d have him studying videos of St Johnstone every spare moment and Rocky can help wrap up 3rd place for us.
    And our best goalie in years will have missed out on 2 x Scottish Cup Finals. That must hurt.

Anyone notice when the full time whistle went Marciano didn't even break into a smile? His heart isn't in it anymore. Macey's gloves.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    And our best goalie in years will have missed out on 2 x Scottish Cup Finals. That must hurt.
    What was the other final he missed out on? I can't think of one, but I think he's played in around 5 losing semi finals though.

It will hurt, but that's football. He's leaving with our thanks and can console himself with the big fat cheque he gets when he signs up elsewhere.

Looks as if Matt Macey is going to face unprecedented levels of scrutiny from a section of our fans on the basis that he is not Ofir Marciano. Absolute madness some of the stuff that's been said on here this week. There has been absolutely zero evidence to suggest he's in any way inferior to Marciano- people are looking for stuff.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Looks as if Matt Macey is going to face unprecedented levels of scrutiny from a section of our fans on the basis that he is not Ofir Marciano. Absolute madness some of the stuff that's been said on here this week. There has been absolutely zero evidence to suggest he's in any way inferior to Marciano- people are looking for stuff.
    I don’t think you’ve actually been paying attention.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    That's not really true though

One has played for us for years and been one of our most consistent performers

He's also got quite a few caps at international level

The other is 26 and played about 50 games

That's not to say Macey cant be as effective but I understand people who see Ofir is the better choice

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I don’t think you’ve actually been paying attention.
    That's not exactly a compelling argument by your standards.

@hibs.net private member
    There’s also zero evidence to say he is anywhere close to the quality of Marciano. Only time will tell

@hibs.net private member
    It definitely feels that way. I think it’s caused by us all being damaged by the goalies in the 2000s.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    There’s also zero evidence to say he is anywhere close to the quality of Marciano. Only time will tell
    Jack Ross sees him every day and can judge who should start, so if someone more qualified to judge his ability backs him then so should we.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Jack Ross sees him every day and can judge who should start, so if someone more qualified to judge his ability backs him then so should we.
    Strange that he’s not been picking him in the league games then don’t you think?

I wouldn’t have any issues with him playing in the final. He’s been, in the main, fine. But if he is going to then he should be in for the last couple of league games as well. No point in chopping and changing now. Give him and the defence a bit more time playing together

@hibs.net private member
    Strange that he’s not been picking him in the league games then don’t you think?

I wouldn’t have any issues with him playing in the final. He’s been, in the main, fine. But if he is going to then he should be in for the last couple of league games as well. No point in chopping and changing now. Give him and the defence a bit more time playing together
    Agreed. Additionally he’s shown he wants to be here.

I agree to an extent but its not 'zero' evidence- so far it's so good, and that's the point I'm making.

Time will tell- it'll be a couple of years before we all know. He should get the chance without people using pre-conceptions to judge.

In the meantime Jack Ross and the coaching team see him every day and they're confident we're not weakening the team by playing Macey- and that's good enough for me.