hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Macey

Think it would be daft to put Marciano back in on Wednesday now

2. Log in to remove the advert

Commands his area well. A few times you could hear his "KEEEEEEEPER" shout. Albeit once doig ignored him

Tough call for JR now whether to bring his number one back in or stick with future number one?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I think he's possibly got one or two howlers a season in him as he comes out for crosses into the box, but think that he also stopped a few of their attacks by doing so.

I like him.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that, but for me with everything thats at stake, i just would have had rocky between the sticks. I find it strange any manager would promise the 2nd choice keeper every game in the cups, especially when we dont win them often, and they are the only things we have a remote chance of winning.

And then you have Europe till xmas thrown in, it's a big gamble.
    Don't English teams do that pretty frequently in the Cups?
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 08-05-2021 at 08:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    If Macey is our goalie for next season, he should play every game
    I’ve loved Marciano’s contribution at Hibs, but he’s moving on

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Important stop from Shankland at 2-0, especially after having little to do prior to that moment
    He had one shaky moment when he hesitated coming for a cross but other than that no concerns.

Been really consistent since he came in and made crucial saves at crucial times in previous games against Motherwell and Queen of the South as well.

Glad he's staying on 👍

@hibs.net private member
    Has Rocky ever won at Hampden. He must have played there 5 or 6 times between Hibs and Israel. Macey is one for one and must start in the Cup Final. Well done to Jack Ross too. If he made the promise he kept it and that is a big deal in management.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Macey should play in the next three games. Sorry Rocky, but you're leaving us. The big fellae has earned his contract and is now a Hibee.

I like fairytale Hibernian goalkeeper stories, looks like we have another one in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Has Rocky ever won at Hampden. He must have played there 5 or 6 times between Hibs and Israel. Macey is one for one and must start in the Cup Final. Well done to Jack Ross too. If he made the promise he kept it and that is a big deal in management.
    No. Never had a good game at Hampden for club or country. I agree. The players will respect Ross for that.

Thank Marciano for his contribution but the future is Macey. He keeps the gloves.

Macey must play now. Can’t chop and change.

One in the second half, when they should have scored, was similar to the last round. Started to come, went back, wouldn’t have been able to save if it was on target as a result. That looks like the weakness.

Feel a bit sorry for Rocky. Five good years and out the team when it gets to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    No. Never had a good game at Hampden for club or country. I agree. The players will respect Ross for that.

Thank Marciano for his contribution but the future is Macey. He keeps the gloves.
    Pish. He made one mistake against Aberdeen and that’s it.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Also played fairly well for Israel in all the games we've had v them

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    If Macey is our goalie for next season, he should play every game
    I’ve loved Marciano’s contribution at Hibs, but he’s moving on
    100 percent. He's a good goalie and has committed himself to the club. To play a guy who wants away in front of him would be a terrible decision. Macey is the present and future for us.

@hibs.net private member
    But has he had a good game, Polar Bear type performance. He hasn't done much wrong but has he had that much to do or made many good saves. I do think going there after 5 or 6 games and never having won may not be great psychologically for any player. Rocky has had a funny season this year. I can't remember him really being a standout in any game but then he really hasn't done much wrong(distribution aside and that has improved). He has had an Oxley type season for me where many of the shots on target have went in albeit not obviously his fault. The last few seasons he regularly made excellent stops and also the occasional howler.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    The new Conrad Logan 😎

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

One in the second half, when they should have scored, was similar to the last round. Started to come, went back, wouldn’t have been able to save if it was on target as a result. That looks like the weakness.

Feel a bit sorry for Rocky. Five good years and out the team when it gets to this point.
    Absolutely. The gloves are his.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

I like him.

Couple of really good saves down low.

He takes a bit of risk with crosses/high balls in the box which is brilliant but also could result in a mistake. There was one today looked a spitting image of the Motherwell goal as he came off his line, changed his mind and almost looked in no mans land. Thankfully it just went past the post.

The good thing is that he’s young for a keeper, hasn’t played many games this season and will learn from it. He will get more confident and realise what he should and shouldn’t come for.

Didn't say mistake

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

I tend to agree, but at the same time why rock the boat? It’s been working using both of them.

Either way, nice problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    But has he had a good game, Polar Bear type performance. He hasn't done much wrong but has he had that much to do or made many good saves. I do think going there after 5 or 6 games and never having won may not be great psychologically for any player. Rocky has had a funny season this year. I can't remember him really being a standout in any game but then he really hasn't done much wrong(distribution aside and that has improved). He has had an Oxley type season for me where many of the shots on target have went in albeit not obviously his fault. The last few seasons he regularly made excellent stops and also the occasional howler.
    He’s been a good goalie for Hibs for 5 years.

The polar bear had one very good, freakish game. Bloody legend but otherwise average.

Rocky has been a mainstay of our best defence in a long time. Well never get a mistake free goalie.

Didn't say mistake
    What are you saying then?

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Macey has to play last 3 games imo. He's our no. 1 imo.

@hibs.net private member
    He’s been a good goalie for Hibs for 5 years.

The polar bear had one very good, freakish game. Bloody legend but otherwise average.

Rocky has been a mainstay of our best defence in a long time. Well never get a mistake free goalie.

Not denying he has been a good keeper and a player that has contributed a lot in his time. I am talking about his record at Hampden. The Cup is different imo. There are always odd things happen like contact lenses giving chunky glove wearers hero status. It is full of superstition and it needs players who will do well between the ears and who are confident. Rocky hasn't won a game there and while he hasn't been terrible he doesn't have any great performances either. Macey has played once, won the game and kept a clean sheet. He has to play in the final for superstition reasons if nothing else. Doidge to score the winner for similar reasons as he has scored in every round.

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I tend to agree, but at the same time why rock the boat? It’s been working using both of them.

Either way, nice problem to have.
    I'm not sure there is much to rock to be honest there is only 2 games left to play in the league. Macy will play in the Final, hes our new #1 and has committed himself to the club. I'd be giving him the league games now to get some more match sharpness.

There is no time for sentiment, thanks Rocky for your time here but hes moving on and so are we.

@hibs.net private member

Macey is currently the 2nd best keeper at the club that’s why he’s only been getting cup games, we should be playing our strongest available team in every game

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Macey is currently the 2nd best keeper at the club
    I think that’s debatable now.

@hibs.net private member
    Macey is currently the 2nd best keeper at the club that’s why he’s only been getting cup games, we should be playing our strongest available team in every game
    He also hasn't lost a game. You could give him the league games but that does come with a risk if he throughs one in. Rocky has been a good servant and Ross looks like he has made an agreement. The best way may be for Rocky to continue being part of our successful league campaign and Macey to continue being part of the successful cup run. It has worked so far

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Is it? numerous posters have stated his uncertainty at coming for a ball out his box and being in no mans land similar to the Motherwell game, he dropped a cross and that whole kick out for Newell being injured was ridiculous why didn’t he just bang it out? He’s made a couple of good saves today definitely, but nothing that Rocky wouldn’t have made and certainly nothing to elevate him to ‘polar bear’ status

I’m uncertain about the guy he’s done nothing to show he’s ready to be a no.1 and to be fair to him he’s done nothing too much wrong but you have to take into consideration the opposition macey has faced prior to today, Rocky is a full International goalkeeper and been as solid as any keeper we’ve had in my time supporting hibs

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Anything can be debated but we are a long, long way from being able to say that Macey is better than Marciano.

Is it? numerous posters have stated his uncertainty at coming for a ball out his box and being in no mans land similar to the Motherwell game, he dropped a cross and that whole kick out for Newell being injured was ridiculous why didn’t he just bang it out? He’s made a couple of good saves today definitely, but nothing that Rocky wouldn’t have made and certainly nothing to elevate him to ‘polar bear’ status

I’m uncertain about the guy he’s done nothing to show he’s ready to be a no.1 and to be fair to him he’s done nothing too much wrong but you have to take into consideration the opposition macey has faced prior to today, Rocky is a full International goalkeeper and been as solid as any keeper we’ve had in my time supporting hibs
    Dunno your age mate I am old enough to have seen the likes of Goram and Leighton at Hibs...Rocky has been a really good keeper for us but he's not in their class