hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough

80s Hibs book: share your memories!

For the older Hibbie, well 40+ anyway...

This autumn I'll be releasing a new book 'Bestie to Beastie to Belgium: Hibs' green n white knuckle ride through the Eighties'.

Although the 80s was a turbulent decade, with very little glory to the Hibees, it was nevertheless a fascinating period, and those that were there have many good stories to tell, from on and off the pitch. It's been a labour of love researching the crazy years I grew up watching Hibs in - from the lows of getting pumped by the likes of Dumbarton, East Fife and Hearts to the highs of Hungary and Liege. I've interviewed all the managers still with us and a full squad-worth of players spanning that decade (including the eponymous Beastie McCluskey of course) and thank them all for their input, humour and insight into that time.

Now it's time to weave in some more of the supporters' memories and this is where I hope you can help.

I've created a short online survey where you can share your stories from back in the day. It's very light touch and you can write as little or as much as you like using the form. I know from Hibs.net Forums over the years how many great tales are out there from that beautifully bonkers decade, so please don't be shy!

If you would take part, please just drop me a PM and I will share the link with you.

I'll post again later in the year to let you know about the launch date. You can also follow on twitter @Hibs80s

Cheers and GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    We barely won a derby

Still, 80s were great. I’ll be reading the book

Left by mutual consent!
    Watching Hibs in the 80s was at times very difficult. But I'd never change it. Great memories.

Will look out for the book.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching Hibs in the 80s was at times very difficult. But I'd never change it. Great memories.

Will look out for the book.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. The times with your pals will never be bettered. The football, the stadiums, the results were all grim at times. Maybe the reason I just don’t get why many are not lapping up the current goings on.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    As others have said a hard watch but looking back some fantastic games and some great players who while maybe not the best seemed to ‘ get’ the club and always gave 100% and are legends in the eyes of the fans as 100% is the very least we expect from players wearing the famous green jersey

GGTTH