hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andy Walker

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All clubs outside the old firm should be worried about this this type of behaviour.

Taking action against independent football pundit(s) with the aim of those clubs to cease any negative comments with regards to their on/off pitch actions isn't acceptable and - if sucacessful - will enable a culture between these two clubs were they can't be held accountable for their actions..
    Enable, or perpetuate?

2. Log in to remove the advert

The comment that got Walker banned from Ibrox

(In regards to the prospect of a European Super League)

"I've been listening to Celtic and Rangers trying to get away from Scottish football for the best part of 20 years.

"If you were to put this to any senior person at Celtic or Rangers they would want to hear what it is all about.

"They want to know how much money they can generate. I think especially for Rangers given their perilous financial position.

“They will want to know what’s happening to the Champions League qualifiers next season. What does it mean? How much money can they get?

“Look at what winning the Scottish Premiership next season brings. It brings immediate access to the Champions League.

“If all that is off the table, then there is a financial landscape that you have to look at that is so serious.

“But let’s not kid ourselves. Celtic and Rangers would want to be involved in this.”

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    The comment that got Walker banned from Ibrox

(In regards to the prospect of a European Super League)

"I've been listening to Celtic and Rangers trying to get away from Scottish football for the best part of 20 years.

"If you were to put this to any senior person at Celtic or Rangers they would want to hear what it is all about.

"They want to know how much money they can generate. I think especially for Rangers given their perilous financial position.

“They will want to know what’s happening to the Champions League qualifiers next season. What does it mean? How much money can they get?

“Look at what winning the Scottish Premiership next season brings. It brings immediate access to the Champions League.

“If all that is off the table, then there is a financial landscape that you have to look at that is so serious.

“But let’s not kid ourselves. Celtic and Rangers would want to be involved in this.”
    Banned for that? Wow, how sensitive, yet not so sensitive when their own fans are singing sectarian and xenophobic muck. Bannings are very seldom. Disgraceful.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 04-05-2021 at 03:15 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Won't be two-faced and say that his name expressed as Andy Wa*ker isn't appropriate, but that said, a pundit in the pay of SKY who gets up both nostrils of the Old Filth can't be all bad?

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Leaving aside the fact that it's Andy Walker, it is a bit ridiculous that those clubs are so sensitive about what some TV commentator says about them.

The Rangers are still in dispute with the BBC because one of their reporters dared to mention sectarian songs sung by some of their Fans at ER. And that was quite a few years back now.

So as well as Rangers' Sectarianism, you can add Rangers' Finances to the list of topics the media are no longer allowed to discuss.
    Very childish, just makes them more of a laughing stock, but they won't care what anyone other than their own supporters think, and the huns in particular have a very vocal support when calling for bans to be handed out. I'd expect the broadcasters to have a contractual right of access and I'd like to see the SFA/SPL withhold some of the clubs' broadcast payouts if they choose to unilaterally ban anyone.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It was Murdo, no?
    Naw defo Andy Walker called us a provincial club on the radio and repeated his faux pas later

Wee Effen Bee Andy Walker Thread 30/10/2016

Murdo would not surprise me either tbh 😃

Utter welt of a man IMO after his ‘who wants to ok play for Hibs’ comments on scotsport. But that was 15 years ago!

Comments on Celtics Dubai trip were bang on the money.

Comments on Sevco fairly accurate and their response sums up the ‘nobody likes us and we don’t understand why’ attitude. Quite funny

Walker is undoubtedly a knob.

However, he is also an employee of the Sky - who are pumping millions into the Scottish game.

It's time they took the huns to task over this. I'm sure if they stopped broadcasting hun games, demanded the return of any monies already paid to the govan mob
    AND threatened legal action for breach of contract then we'd see an end to this nonsense.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Walker is undoubtedly a knob.

However, he is also an employee of the Sky - who are pumping millions into the Scottish game.

It's time they took the huns to task over this. I'm sure if they stopped broadcasting hun games, demanded the return of any monies already paid to the govan mob
    AND threatened legal action for breach of contract then we'd see an end to this nonsense.
    These things are meant to be a partnership. I'm not taking sides here, but Sky's rent-a-gobs shouldn't have carte blanche to say what they want then expect to be welcomed by the club(s) they've been slagging.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    These things are meant to be a partnership. I'm not taking sides here, but Sky's rent-a-gobs shouldn't have carte blanche to say what they want then expect to be welcomed by the club(s) they've been slagging.
    It all depends upon what is said. What Walker has said about the Old Firm seems perfectly reasonable. I don't like the idea of clubs banning media people because their feelings are hurt. Of course, there are examples whereby something so outrageous is said that a ban is justified e.g. Liverpool banning The Sun after their Hillsborough coverage. However, on the whole it's not something I want to see.

Did you read what he actually said, though?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I agree, but if they are speaking the truth, or giving their honest opinion, then they are just doing what they have always done and trying to dictate what people say about them.

Sky need to grow a set of balls, and tell them they will appoint anyone they see fit to comment on their clubs, and if they dont like it, they will stop reporting from their grounds and any opposition ground they are playing at.

Give them no exposure, let them know who's the boss here, and if they have a problem with it then they can complain to the relevant people.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Did you read what he actually said, though?
    Yes and sorry I didn't make myself clear, I was talking about Walker specifically but these sort of situations in general.

In saying that, from what I remember he was particularly scathing re. Celtic’s trip to Dubai. He could easily have voiced his disapproval without being as OTT as he was.

Yes the uglies have one skin too few, but on this occasion they have it right. Walker shouldn't be a pundit, he's a tedious negative bore, the sort left mumbling alone at the bar in an embittered jakeball trance, talking to himself, long after every sensible human being has cleared off.

It's amazing that he's still employed in the media. He offers noting to the role, no controversy, just the incitement of utter annoyance that such a bitter nonentity is paid to inflict his neurosis on the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Yes the uglies have one skin too few, but on this occasion they have it right. Walker shouldn't be a pundit, he's a tedious negative bore, the sort left mumbling alone at the bar in an embittered jakeball trance, talking to himself, long after every sensible human being has cleared off.

It's amazing that he's still employed in the media. He offers noting to the role, no controversy, just the incitement of utter annoyance that such a bitter nonentity is paid to inflict his neurosis on the public.
    Can’t argue with that. He has nothing interesting to say, possibly in his entire life.

Walker is a tosser, but in this case he is hard done by*.

Everyone knows that Sevco spent heavily this season to stop Celtc's ten in a row and need a decent run in Europe next season to bring in money.

And Dubai was months ago, so why have Celtc waited until now to ban him? Two cheeks of the same arse is why.

*I had to read that three times because I still can't believe I have any sympathy for him.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Stop talking s***e........
    Careful or you might be reported by a "stool" pigeon

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    What happens if Sky say, either you let him in or you’re not getting your share of the tv deal?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    What happens if Sky say, either you let him in or you’re not getting your share of the tv deal?
    I would imagine the lawyers have a field day and make a fortune.

Yes and sorry I didn't make myself clear, I was talking about Walker specifically but these sort of situations in general.

In saying that, from what I remember he was particularly scathing re. Celtic’s trip to Dubai. He could easily have voiced his disapproval without being as OTT as he was.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Can’t argue with that. He has nothing interesting to say, possibly in his entire life.

Normally I'd agree but on this occasion, his point about how Rangers and Celtc would view the European Super League... both the effect on them being outside and the fact they'd probably love to be involved... was bang on the money.

Don't mind Walker really. Actually agree with a lot of what he says.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Fantastic summary and completely spot on. Characterises the other Sky pundit Provan also. Given that Sky had an executive policy to run down the game up here you actually think they were deliberately put in place to be as negative as they could possibly be about the game.

Can we ban Kris Boyd from Easter Road? 😁

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I remember he once called us a provincial club

Strange from an ex player
    Clearly isn’t to clever and doesn’t understand the meaning of provincial.

Left by mutual consent!
    What did Walker say that upset Celtic? The Dubai situation?

Think we all agree that Andy Walker isn't the best pundit and is very annoying at it to boot.

What I don't like about Sky's coverage in England is that they have Carragher and Neville calling their own teams games. How is that impartial coverage. Its the same up here with Biyd and Walker but a different dynamic as Sky need them to cater to the Old Firm fans but when they speak their mind it results in a ban from the coverage.

McCoist is so much better than Walker.

Leaving aside the fact that it's Andy Walker, it is a bit ridiculous that those clubs are so sensitive about what some TV commentator says about them.

The Rangers are still in dispute with the BBC because one of their reporters dared to mention sectarian songs sung by some of their Fans at ER. And that was quite a few years back now.

So as well as Rangers' Sectarianism, you can add Rangers' Finances to the list of topics the media are no longer allowed to discuss.
    Pathetic by OF

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Yet every time he opens his mouth there's a thread on here about him? I've not seen nor heard of him for years but feel as though I know the guy very well reading this site.

Exactly. The infirm derby is pure hatred as is shown in the hospitals after the game. I’ve never heard a single discussion on either rangers finances or the sectarianism of both clubs yet when a rangers player is racially abused they (rightly) condemn it. Both clubs are embarrassment to Scotland and the quicker they pee off somewhere the better. For once I can say well done to walker for actually saying something close to the truth.?

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    What did Walker say that upset Celtic? The Dubai situation?

Think we all agree that Andy Walker isn't the best pundit and is very annoying at it to boot.

What I don't like about Sky's coverage in England is that they have Carragher and Neville calling their own teams games. How is that impartial coverage. Its the same up here with Biyd and Walker but a different dynamic as Sky need them to cater to the Old Firm fans but when they speak their mind it results in a ban from the coverage.

McCoist is so much better than Walker.
    Why does football coverage need to be impartial?

Carragher and Neville are great to watch regardless of if it's Liverpool, Man U or anyone else they're covering.

I also don't mind Boyd - I think his pettiness is pretty funny.