hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I guess this is kind of a personal story but it worries me how much potential we could end up missing out on from people but online bullying is a scourge.

I was bullied heavily at school for two years back in the day (long hair, quite studious, stood out like a sore thumb) and I have no doubt it's affected my life to some extent. I really wanted to be a GP back when I was younger and after a while of it lost complete interest in my studies as I just wanted to get home. Did terribly in exams. Lost all self confidence, had thoughts about how things might have been easier back then if I wasn't alive and went from being a decent centre back in the school football team to putting on weight as I just wanted to stay at home and avoid other people. I did eventually go to Uni via college, but my grades only got me into something that hasn't really progressed my career at all.

It genuinely took about ten to fifteen years to rediscover what I'd consider to be "full" self confidence and belief as your teenage years are so formative to your mindset and outlook on life. I'm lucky to be doing something that I love and something I'm really good at both professionally and in terms of hobbies and activities but often feel that I'm five years behind where I need/want to be.

The main difference is that I could go home and through reading, writing, playing guitar and the like escape into my own little world for a bit. Social Media is completely insidious as it takes away that little bubble. I know for a fact that some employers will have a look through social media profiles of potential candidates and if they don't find social media profiles for someone then they'll find that suspicious. It's getting harder and harder to not have some sort of profile online and once you have that, you're reachable everywhere.

It seems an unfair thing - footballers seem to get their chances at a younger and younger age now and as people are more comfortable with dishing out the abuse online it must be a horrendous struggle for them to retain their confidence and chutzpah to develop and improve and push on whilst keeping enough of a "profile" to get themselves noticed in the right places. I do fear that in a number of fields we're going to miss out on genuine Scottish talent - whether that's sports, art, science, entreprenueurs or the like because of how much social media encroaches our privacy.

Add the toxic mentality of "you should man up" or "let it be water off a ducks back and get on with it" and it's lethal. I know it's daft, but someone at Hibs has had the idea of a Star Wars themed video as a bit of fun, spent the time and energy to create it, put it out and is now getting a whole load of ***** back for something they meant as a bit of cheer.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess this is kind of a personal story but it worries me how much potential we could end up missing out on from people but online bullying is a scourge.

I was bullied heavily at school for two years back in the day (long hair, quite studious, stood out like a sore thumb) and I have no doubt it's affected my life to some extent. I really wanted to be a GP back when I was younger and after a while of it lost complete interest in my studies as I just wanted to get home. Did terribly in exams. Lost all self confidence, had thoughts about how things might have been easier back then if I wasn't alive and went from being a decent centre back in the school football team to putting on weight as I just wanted to stay at home and avoid other people. I did eventually go to Uni via college, but my grades only got me into something that hasn't really progressed my career at all.

It genuinely took about ten to fifteen years to rediscover what I'd consider to be "full" self confidence and belief as your teenage years are so formative to your mindset and outlook on life. I'm lucky to be doing something that I love and something I'm really good at both professionally and in terms of hobbies and activities but often feel that I'm five years behind where I need/want to be.

The main difference is that I could go home and through reading, writing, playing guitar and the like escape into my own little world for a bit. Social Media is completely insidious as it takes away that little bubble. I know for a fact that some employers will have a look through social media profiles of potential candidates and if they don't find social media profiles for someone then they'll find that suspicious. It's getting harder and harder to not have some sort of profile online and once you have that, you're reachable everywhere.

It seems an unfair thing - footballers seem to get their chances at a younger and younger age now and as people are more comfortable with dishing out the abuse online it must be a horrendous struggle for them to retain their confidence and chutzpah to develop and improve and push on whilst keeping enough of a "profile" to get themselves noticed in the right places. I do fear that in a number of fields we're going to miss out on genuine Scottish talent - whether that's sports, art, science, entreprenueurs or the like because of how much social media encroaches our privacy.

Add the toxic mentality of "you should man up" or "let it be water off a ducks back and get on with it" and it's lethal. I know it's daft, but someone at Hibs has had the idea of a Star Wars themed video as a bit of fun, spent the time and energy to create it, put it out and is now getting a whole load of ***** back for something they meant as a bit of cheer.
    Brilliant post, mate, and many thanks for sharing your past experiences. Few things annoy me more than bullying of any kind. Kids can be cruel, of course, and I'm sure that many who bullied classmates at school feel terrible about it in adulthood. It must have been hell for you, and I'm glad you got through it.

As stated above, I don't do social media, but we've all heard the horror stories, including suicide as a result of online bullying. What's even more worrying is when the culprits are gown adults, and I can only think such people are unhappy in themselves and turn it outward towards others. I can't imagine another reason that would prompt such behaviour. However, the inner demons of the culprit don't make it any easier for the victim. It's a difficult problem to solve.

Thanks again for the post
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Spot on! People are just dicks.... Force them all to have their real identities on line and then lets see how brave they all are.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Well said.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Spot on! People are just dicks.... Force them all to have their real identities on line and then lets see how brave they all are.
    I don't know how that could be realistically enforced or policed if I'm honest with you.

There needs to be stricter controls on social media of abusive behaviour (and not an automated system that uses algorithyms to try and find language, like Facebook uses. Just recently on a Facebook group about The Simpsons, a lassie, looked like she was in her twenties had posted something about the voice actor who voiced Apu apologising for any offence that may have been caused. Some dickhead just responded with "Woof!", clearly calling her a dog. Reported this to Facebook, who decided that it didn't go against their standards. Have done similar with racist posts and the like before too and Facebook found it to be within their standards. (Interestingly, the thread was filled with 'How could it cause offence, the Simpsons have gone woke' and an Asian chap had said that as soon as the Simpsons became popular, all he got was "Thank you, come again" comments around his school which caused him a lot of hurt).

At a previous employer, we would often advertise products we got into stock with silly little Facebook videos. Helped pass the day and initially people really liked them, they were fun and allowed us to talk about something we knew a bit about. Through time the comments underneath started getting a bit more negative and one of my colleagues got lots of comments like "Look at the state of this ****ing belter" and "What a ****ing prick" after we used a sliding door to reveal himself and the product he was talking about as a funny entrance. We didn't want to do them again, but all the comments were on Facebook with each persons real name. A lack of anonymity didn't deter them.

What needs to be done is reporting of abuse to be taken seriously, dealt with efficiently and for people to grow up a bit and realise that commenting needless comments on a Facebook page has consequences not just to the poster, but quite probably at least one person at the other end too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Great post NH.

I need to point out that today is the other half and my anniversary and we both hate Star Wars. The next person who asks if we meant to meet on Star Wars day or indeed makes a Star Wars reference is getting a hole punch up the nose.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    As it's just a wee bit of fun on 'May The Fourth', aren't you the one kind of missing the mark?

Even Scotrail got in on the act at our local train station and there's been no comments about 'spending their time more productively', or whatever.

It's entirely possible for people to both do their job and have a wee bit of fun.

Exactly right.

There will be some folk out there that loved the Tweet. There’s actually very few comments in comparison to views so I don’t think we need to be too hard on the Hibs support.

Besides, why do folk think that a Tweet being sent out to everyone is aimed specifically at them?!

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    I didn’t think the tweet was that great but why these people (seems to be the same ones all the time) feel they need to express their hatred so regularly is worrying.

Seems to be the social media trend that hating your own club is much cooler than supporting and being positive about it.
    I agree with you.. although I would say I think we would all be ripping it out of Hearts if this was their Star Wars production

And I like the (original) films!

Thanks for sharing.
    As you say growing up was tough enough before the advent of social media.
    I always legged it after PE at the end of the school day before the bullies had time to tie their yellow laced, red Doc Martins to their feet! Strangely, I am good at fighting now and would like rematches with my childhood bullies but they are probably nice guys now so it would be a bit embarrassing to ask them out for a square go and our wives would probably intervene and march us off like a scene from "The Last of The Summer Wine" so probably too late to revisit now.
    I hate bullying of all kinds so got your back
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 04-05-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Post from Hibs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    I do find it bizarre mentioning it, as he's not retiring. Just moving clubs. Who cares?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Post from Hibs.

Burn the witch!

On no wait, it's a ****ing twitter post.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Another shocker from Hibs. As a club we should not pander to anyone.

Not sure many people care about Scott Brown playing his last game for Celtic on Saturday.

Bizare from Hibs when we have sealed 3rd place and have a cup final to look forward to.

This isn't having a pop at the club for the sake of having a pop but Scott Brown isn't a Hibs player.
    I seen that as being a neat tie in between the previous game and the next one.

It also prompted the realisation that Brown's last game for Hibs was at ER against Celtic and his last for Celtic will be the same fixture.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

It also prompted the realisation that Brown's last game for Hibs was at ER against Celtic and his last for Celtic will be the same fixture.
    Me too, don't see the problem.

Yeap. Nowt wrong with that.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Post from Hibs.
    Don't you see the connection?

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    I've been slightly critical of the recent social media stuff, but the Scott Brown one didn't even register with me. No big deal.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Nothing wrong with it, I’d this honestly what’s getting folk worked up? Ffs.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    I do find it bizarre mentioning it, as he's not retiring. Just moving clubs. Who cares?
    Agreed, I thought the mention of Brown was quite bizarre but hardly worth getting worked up about.

I saw it, thought it was a bit strange then scrolled past it.

Nothing more to say than that really.

Not sure many people care about Scott Brown playing his last game for Celtic on Saturday.

Bizare from Hibs when we have sealed 3rd place and have a cup final to look forward to.

This isn't having a pop at the club for the sake of having a pop but Scott Brown isn't a Hibs player.
    Did Scott Brown not hand over his singing on fee to Hibs to go towards our academy?maybe I'm making it up but really not sure what the big issue is

I saw this tweet, read it and got on with my life.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    First thing I thought when I saw it was well done Hibs. Absolutely bizarre that folk are criticising this, very strange.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    First thing I thought when I saw it was well done Hibs. Absolutely bizarre that folk are criticising this, very strange.
    Strange but unsurprising from certain people.

I read that tweet earlier and thought it was a nice touch tbh.

It might stick in people's throats a bit because of where he went but we should be proud that a player we played a huge part in developing had the career Brown has had. OK it's not his last game ever but there is a certain closed loop element about his career at both Hibs and Celtic.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

That was a great game as well. 2-1, Brown diving header and Sproule winner (I think). Never been able to find the highlights of that one.

On the post earlier, I read it and it barely registered with me. Just made me think 'that was a great game' then scrolled on.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Nothing wrong with it, I’d this honestly what’s getting folk worked up? Ffs.
    Some people aren't happy unless they are permanently offended about something or other.

Coaching Staff

You still wonder why you get a hard time, don’t you?

The only shocker in that tweet is Scott Browns hair.