hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely we can just get the line ups from Teletext or Ceefax ?
    https://zxnet.co.uk/teletext/viewer/?channel=2&page=302

Sorted!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It isn’t really mental. This is the way that the club has been interacting with most of us for years now. It has been important to drive interest and also commercial activity, season ticket sales and so on.

It is 1 weekend only of course but it is a pretty big game for us, people look forward to the football and everything it comes with and whilst I’m sure it has a purpose it is also fair to say that the immediate impact is on those tens of thousands of fans who just want to to enjoy the game including the build up. I know I hit Twitter as soon as I think the team will be out.

Sure there’s other ways to find out, doubt it will be out as quickly. So yes, nothing wrong I think with pointing out that fans usual ways of enjoying the games this week will be impacted.
    If it hits tens of thousands of people then it’s a job well done. Does it matter if you don’t see the team until 2pm rather than the usual 1.45pm? If your watching the game do you need updates from it? I’m at a loss as to what can be so important on Hibs Twitter that would have a severe negative impact on many people.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    haha that's great, thanks

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    If it hits tens of thousands of people then it’s a job well done. Does it matter if you don’t see the team until 2pm rather than the usual 1.45pm? If your watching the game do you need updates from it? I’m at a loss as to what can be so important on Hibs Twitter that would have a severe negative impact on many people.
    The vast majority of football fans just want to get on with supporting their football team.

I don't think getting the team news in is earth shattering if we are talking about all the issues that there are in the world but as we are discussing football on a football forum then it is an important part, for many, of the build up to the game.

I'm not sure that negatively impacting tens of thousands of people is a job well done. I thought this blackout was to get the attention of social media companies? As the Man U analysis has shown I think rather than positively changing the behaviour of idiots, things like this, if overdone, are beginning to create more idiots or more activity from the idiots.

I get that the big teams can influence Twitter and others by creating less traffic and less revenue and that clubs like ours are just showing solidarity for it, but I think it is fair to point out that in doing it, it is the normal football fans that are having their enjoyment of part of the football experience diminished.

I'm sure we can cope though.

I don't think clubs stopping putting updates on their Social Media channels is going to inconvenience people's everyday lives too much so, agree or disagree, why not just let them get on with it.

Personally, I'm not actually convinced it's going to make much of a difference but what's the big deal? At least they're trying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I don't think clubs stopping putting updates on their Social Media channels is going to inconvenience people's everyday lives too much so, agree or disagree, why not just let them get on with it.

Personally, I'm not actually convinced it's going to make much of a difference but what's the big deal? At least they're trying something.
    This is where I am with it.

Online abuse that constantly oversteps the mark is far more inconvenient for those that receive it than having to find team lineups elsewhere is for us. Hibs TV The Match starts half an hour before kick off, they'll have the team, Journalists on twitter will have the team, news websites will have the team. It'll be on here in no time too.

Previously I think the narrative has been set that teams have to ignore abuse delivered online and display a meekness in calling it out. Actions like this at the very least send home the message that they don't plan on just sitting back and that **** anymore.

The vast majority of football fans just want to get on with supporting their football team.

I don't think getting the team news in is earth shattering if we are talking about all the issues that there are in the world but as we are discussing football on a football forum then it is an important part, for many, of the build up to the game.

I'm not sure that negatively impacting tens of thousands of people is a job well done. I thought this blackout was to get the attention of social media companies? As the Man U analysis has shown I think rather than positively changing the behaviour of idiots, things like this, if overdone, are beginning to create more idiots or more activity from the idiots.

I get that the big teams can influence Twitter and others by creating less traffic and less revenue and that clubs like ours are just showing solidarity for it, but I think it is fair to point out that in doing it, it is the normal football fans that are having their enjoyment of part of the football experience diminished.

If it means tens of thousands of people, times by x amount of clubs, don’t visit Twitter when they usually would, then of course it’s job well done.

Of course we all follow football for football but when employees start getting abused then the employer needs to do something, even if it impacts the paying customer.

I go on buses just to get from A to B, but when the driver gets assaulted regularly then the bus company must take a stand and take the buses off route. This impacts me as I just want to get to work but it’s completely right and proper for the company to do this. Same logic, slightly different scenario.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckys Wheel View Post
    This post is mental 😂

Reminds me of a video clip I saw of a couple of millennials being handed one of the old round dial phones and them trying to figure out how to use it.
    I don't see what the problem with my post is, but I am biased in this.

I personally get the team news as I know to check around 2pm on Twitter/FB/Instagram. It's then usually posted on here as a copy and paste job from one of those.

I see the lineups eventually also on Livescore - and I think the BBC probably have them, but only ever see that in the post game match reports - but don't know how they get them themselves and would assume at least the former is probably picked up from SMs but maybe not.

The way people do things changes, and for all I know the use of SM channels is the way Hibs communicate their team news to relevant parties these days. I'm curious to see what the go to is now without that as an option is all.

I imagine at some point I'll first see the team on here, but I've no idea where that person will have initially got the information.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

You seem to be coping very well.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    You seem to be coping very well.
    These sort of snidely remarks just serve to head the discussion in one direction.

These things should be able to be debated on the merits or otherwise without it.

The Man U analysis is pertinent here isn’t it? That the more that Sky and others have covered this the worse it has got, so I think we can all agree it has to stop without having to agree on how that is done.

These sort of snidely remarks just serve to head the discussion in one direction.

These things should be able to be debated on the merits or otherwise without it.

The Man U analysis is pertinent here isn’t it? That the more that Sky and others have covered this the worse it has got, so I think we can all agree it has to stop without having to agree on how that is done.
    Downplaying the seriousness of the matter by saying it will mean you have to look elsewhere for the team news deserves to be called out.

The social media businesses are doing very little to crack down on the racist abusers, so several sports have announced a boycott. I have my doubts that it will be effective, but at least they're highlighting the problem. A problem that has got worse in part because the abusers have seen that no action will be taken against them by the social media businesses.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I think it depends on how that data was gathered. If they're collecting the information about abuse via the number of reported posts, it could be that the increase is largely down to more people bothering to report abuse when they see it. If that's a contributing factor to the figure they've published, then it's grounds to say that spotlighting the issue has helped. Again, no idea what their approach was, so I'm happy to concede that particular point if they outlined their method.

Most progressive movements have historically been met with an increase in resistance from the antagonists in each case, so I wouldn't necessarily say that means they should pack it in. By no means am I comparing this to the MLK era civil rights movement, or indeed any significant act of human emancipation/liberation, but it is a progressive movement nonetheless.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 30-04-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Other than denying fans access to content ahead of a huge weekend game and leading up to semi final I’m not sure what the point of it all is.
    The point is this is actually perfect for the SFA and the SPFL because it gives them the chance to say they are taking action whilst in reality doing absolutely nothing, exactly the same as they have done over religious bigotry and abuse for over a century, at least they are consistent !

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    If it pushes Twitter in particular to have a verification process for accounts then good. Racist cowards should not be able to hide behind anonymity.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

An exercise in tokenism if ever there was one. No long term difference will be made here but obviously Hibs have to take part for image/reputational reasons. If all the clubs had said "enough is enough, we're making a donation/partnership/education program in the community to combat racism, here are the details" that would be a lot more newsworthy.

This is a communal slap on the back exercise.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

That’s just another version of victim blaming imo.

Those drawing attention to this problem are not the ones responsible.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip View Post
    We will have to go back to the old fashioned way of listening to the radio for the line ups.

I remember going to games in the 90s with my dad and we would listen to the radio in the car waiting for the line ups and guessing who would be right. Take me back to the olden days would be great!
    I was speaking to a friend during the Motherwell game and asked him if he was watching on Premier. Nah, I am listening on the Tranny was his retort!! I miss the days of rushing home after the game at Easter Road and waiting on the Pink News or waiting on Sportscene/Scotsport coming on to find out the results of the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    If it pushes Twitter in particular to have a verification process for accounts then good. Racist cowards should not be able to hide behind anonymity.
    Although this focus is on racism, the anonymity process on social media goes far deeper; predators using fake accounts to groom children, online abuse hiding behind random names, hackers/fraudsters using fake accounts, the list is endless and it’s about time there was a serious crackdown of social media regulations, starting with a verification process with ID required.

Although this focus is on racism, the anonymity process on social media goes far deeper; predators using fake accounts to groom children, online abuse hiding behind random names, hackers/fraudsters using fake accounts, the list is endless and it’s about time there was a serious crackdown of social media regulations, starting with a verification process with ID required.
    That’s a good point.

@hibs.net private member
    Totally agree. Sign up but tell us who you are first.

It might deter some of the angry mob who chuck death threats around on a daily basis as they jump aboard the next bandwagon.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Yep. There absolutely should be some 'soft checks' (at the very least) made on social media signups. Could also be applied retrospectively to existing accounts. People can still stay anonymous to other users if they like, but any criminal behaviour should be trackable. There are some big issues with this which would need to be overcome though:

- Users would need to be happy explicitly (rather than subconsciously) providing their ID to the likes of Twitter/Facebook etc. A big stumbling block!
    - How do you deal with "non-person" accounts, e.g. businesses.
    - This would potentially stop all the bots as well, which I suspect is where a large amount of revenue from the likes of Twitter is generated.
    - Government regulation would be required, but that needs hundreds of governments across the world to work together. That's a big one.

Bottom line, something needs done, but it's going to be a hell of a struggle to get there.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    That’s just another version of victim blaming imo.

Those drawing attention to this problem are not the ones responsible.
    It could be making the problem worse though. There’s a danger and I think we are seeing it in action that it becomes self perpetuating.

There was an issue in society that needed addressed. Football was part of that but football and the likes of Sky have made it such a big issue in football that I think they’ve encouraged people that weren’t getting engaged in this to do it.

Most people will see a campaign that needed to take place. Others will be getting fed up with it that they start to react against it. Others still will see it and think it is big and clever to join in too.

As another poster said earlier maybe drawing everyone out is the way ahead but only if they are dealt with.

Perhaps this is the thing that changes how social media works but I doubt it.

@hibs.net private member
    It could be making the problem worse though. There’s a danger and I think we are seeing it in action that it becomes self perpetuating.

There was an issue in society that needed addressed. Football was part of that but football and the likes of Sky have made it such a big issue in football that I think they’ve encouraged people that weren’t getting engaged in this to do it.

Most people will see a campaign that needed to take place. Others will be getting fed up with it that they start to react against it. Others still will see it and think it is big and clever to join in too.

As another poster said earlier maybe drawing everyone out is the way ahead but only if they are dealt with.

Perhaps this is the thing that changes how social media works but I doubt it.
    Nobody’s expecting this to change how social media works - they are just showing their solidarity with those affected...

Suggesting that football and others raising their voice on this hateful behaviour is encouraging more of it, seems a bizarre position to take....

I can’t understand why people don’t simply get behind anything that speaks out against hate ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Nobody’s expecting this to change how social media works - they are just showing their solidarity with those affected...

Suggesting that football and others raising their voice on this hateful behaviour is encouraging more of it, seems a bizarre position to take....

I can’t understand why people don’t simply get behind anything that speaks out against hate ..

I would hope they are expecting to create some change, otherwise there is no point.

Of course ongoing coverage can encourage more of it. That shouldn't be the case but it is. I'm not sure what else could be behind the type of increase in abuse that Man U have reported for example since 2019.

Like any campaigns, whether that be speaking out about issues or advertising, there are saturation points reached and points where you begin to have the opposite effect that you wanted.

People don't just get behind anything that is speaking out against hate because like anything there are effective ways to do it and ineffective ways to do it. That shouldn't be confused with supporting hate or not supporting speaking out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

I think a lot of the time it’s just contraryism. Just arguing the opposite point of view for the sake of it. Kind of ‘par for the course’ on the internet of course.

I’m firmly behind the players on this, who seem to be unified in wanting some protection, and I’m confident the vast majority of fans feel the same.

@hibs.net private member
    I would hope they are expecting to create some change, otherwise there is no point.

Of course ongoing coverage can encourage more of it. That shouldn't be the case but it is. I'm not sure what else could be behind the type of increase in abuse that Man U have reported for example since 2019.

Like any campaigns, whether that be speaking out about issues or advertising, there are saturation points reached and points where you begin to have the opposite effect that you wanted.

People don't just get behind anything that is speaking out against hate because like anything there are effective ways to do it and ineffective ways to do it. That shouldn't be confused with supporting hate or not supporting speaking out about it.
    No one with any depth of thinking on this is expecting any material change ..these actions are inbuilt into people’s DNA, no small social media process changes that. It’s about solidarity.

Tbh When I read your posts on hate or racism threads...you spend most of your time giving reasons the protest approaches don’t work ...rather than getting behind them

Change is caused by people being bold and brave with voice and actions, not by criticising support of the victims...

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I think a lot of the time it’s just contraryism. Just arguing the opposite point of view for the sake of it. Kind of ‘par for the course’ on the internet of course.

I’m firmly behind the players on this, who seem to be unified in wanting some protection, and I’m confident the vast majority of fans feel the same.
    I'm pretty sure we all want the people caught and jailed, and for all the abuse to stop. Yet in my opinion we seem to have some sort of cause we have to support week after week, and they are all intermingling into one and perhaps diluting the effect each case has?

Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    Brilliant, brings back memories. I forgot you had to wait for teletext to scroll through all the page numbers until it got to the one you wanted.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm pretty sure we all want the people caught and jailed, and for all the abuse to stop. Yet in my opinion we seem to have some sort of cause we have to support week after week, and they are all intermingling into one and perhaps diluting the effect each case has?
    Can't recall which one it was but one of the English managers said pretty much this during the week when asked about the blackout. Along the lines of football seems to have to attach itself to every cause now and whilst it is great that football has a voice and a reach and is using it that it is getting past the stage where it takes over form the football and is ultimately meaningless because they are trying to get across everything.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Why not simply focus on things you feel are deeply wrong, and consistently stand up against them??

in this case it’s support for victims of homophobia , racism, sexism, bullying etc...anything that stands up and says “enough” on those things deserves support imho..