hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Coaching Staff

Social Media Blackout

Hasn’t seen it discussed as yet.

As we are taking part does this mean absolutely nothing on a weekend including a match day. No team being posted, score updates etc?

Don’t think this will do anything to change the behaviour of idiots abusing people. Is it supposed to be a way of impacting the platforms themselves?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

As we are taking part does this mean absolutely nothing on a weekend including a match day. No team being posted, score updates etc?

Don’t think this will do anything to change the behaviour of idiots abusing people. Is it supposed to be a way of impacting the platforms themselves?
    Yeah, I think it’s more about social media companies sorting themselves out, while raising the topic again and keeping it in the public eye.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Other than denying fans access to content ahead of a huge weekend game and leading up to semi final I’m not sure what the point of it all is.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Other than denying fans access to content ahead of a huge weekend game and leading up to semi final I’m not sure what the point of it all is.
    Some topics are far more important than a few team lines.

Scottish football has two teams whose supporters are unequalled for the amount of filth and bigotry they pour out either in person or on social media.It’s good to know that irony isn’t dead.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    In the absence of social media posts I'm curious as to how we'll get the lineup... Will BBC or similar be able to provide teams at 2pm?

I'm assuming the teams that Livescore etc end up with are originally from social media channels and not sourced elsewhere. Bookies maybe?
    Mon the Hibs.

Clubs would be as well shutting down their social media accounts permanently if they decide to hold a protest after every time there's a sectarian incident when the fans eventually make their return.

It will be interesting to see if there's as much of an issue made of it.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Clubs would be as well shutting down their social media accounts permanently if they decide to hold a protest after every time there's a sectarian incident when the fans eventually make their return.
    They've no intention of doing that.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    In the absence of social media posts I'm curious as to how we'll get the lineup... Will BBC or similar be able to provide teams at 2pm?

I'm assuming the teams that Livescore etc end up with are originally from social media channels and not sourced elsewhere. Bookies maybe?

They'll be on the hibs website no?

I don’t think social media companies will give a ****. They only way forward is providing an ID for online accts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    They've no intention of doing that.
    I know, my tongue was firmly in my cheek.

This isn't just Hibs, it isn't just football. It's a widespread warning shot across social media's bow. Mentioned above that fixing it needs user registration. That's no doubt right, and this sort of pressure might lead to that.

It might not happen right away, but there's no doubt the platforms will notice this weekend. It won't be a one-off if they don't.
    Last edited by Glory Lurker; 29-04-2021 at 11:04 PM.

Support it, or don’t. It’s not that difficult.

I'm pleased Hibs are part of this.

It's a concerted effort by various sports to draw attention to the failure of social media firms to deal correctly with online abuse. Not criticism, abuse.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Surely you do see the point of it all, whether or not you agree with it.

I for one am glad Hibs are taking part and can manage to get by finding out the team lineup on something other than Instagram for one afternoon, in the hope these things can contribute even in the slightest way.

Marv B was on BBC tonight talking about ithe issue and the initiative. Derek Ferguson was doing his best to support him with his comments despite his serious lack of communication skills. Derek is the Brian Wilson of punditry where you will the guy to get the words out. Then give him a massive cheer when he succeeds.
    Marv was very good.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 30-04-2021 at 03:51 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Social Media firms don't seem to have a problem censoring certain kinds of content these days so it's a mystery why it's so hard for them to deal with something like blatant racist abuse. Bartley's comments are fair - the anonymity factor can make these platforms a magnet for cowardly creeps and morons. I presume the perpetrators get their accounts closed down - if not why not? - if so it seems that's not enough to deter the seriously demented.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    They'll be on the hibs website no?
    That would make sense!

To be honest, I forget we have a website. I don't think I've been on it since I bought my season ticket last year.
    Mon the Hibs.

We will have to go back to the old fashioned way of listening to the radio for the line ups.

I remember going to games in the 90s with my dad and we would listen to the radio in the car waiting for the line ups and guessing who would be right. Take me back to the olden days would be great!

Sites like Rangers Media should be shut down if they really want to tackle the big issues. I challenge anyone to read that and not be disgusted within the first 30 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Sites like Rangers Media should be shut down if they really want to tackle the big issues. I challenge anyone to read that and not be disgusted within the first 30 seconds
    I’m no fan of rangers media, but I don’t think they’re regularly sending rape threats to female pundits or calling black players coons or monkeys, which is the complaint about Twitter et al and their lack of moderation/sanction.

Yep BBC Sport puts the lineups up when they're released

Coaching Staff
    I notice Man U have said that online abuse was up 350% since 2019.

Whilst society certainly still had a problem with racism and football will have reflected that I didn’t ever think there was a huge problem.

It is always a difficult conversation because highlighting it and speaking out about it is important but has the way that this has been done actually made it worse? I think it probably has.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Really?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Of course. Football existed before social media, and the internet for that matter.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    The blackout may or may not, be a good idea, and it may or may not have any effect. But if one good thing comes out of it.....

2021-04-30_094748.jpg

https://twitter.com/Douglas4Moray/st...48540597952518

This post is mental 😂

Reminds me of a video clip I saw of a couple of millennials being handed one of the old round dial phones and them trying to figure out how to use it.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckys Wheel View Post
    This post is mental 😂

Reminds me of a video clip I saw of a couple of millennials being handed one of the old round dial phones and them trying to figure out how to use it.
    It isn’t really mental. This is the way that the club has been interacting with most of us for years now. It has been important to drive interest and also commercial activity, season ticket sales and so on.

It is 1 weekend only of course but it is a pretty big game for us, people look forward to the football and everything it comes with and whilst I’m sure it has a purpose it is also fair to say that the immediate impact is on those tens of thousands of fans who just want to to enjoy the game including the build up. I know I hit Twitter as soon as I think the team will be out.

Sure there’s other ways to find out, doubt it will be out as quickly. So yes, nothing wrong I think with pointing out that fans usual ways of enjoying the games this week will be impacted.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Surely we can just get the line ups from Teletext or Ceefax ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Is that we as in Hibs.net, or Hibs the club?
    Is Hibs.net classified as social media?
    What constitutes "abuse"? Am I guilty for saying on here I think Murphy is an eggshell and a woose? When does criticism spill over into abuse? The only reference I can see to "abuse" in the Forum Rules is in regard to abuse of other forum members by email or private message. Should we not be saying more than that?
    All for verification being a requirement across all official social media. It might drive the pathetic attention-seeking serious abusers underground but if they want to wallow in their own little private mire with others of that ilk without the viewing figures they desire, no advertising to fund platforms etc., so be it. Just get them off the official outlets.