hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anybody see the hypocrisy in this?

English clubs scream unfair as their biggest clubs want to do something by themselves but it is okay to take the two biggest clubs from another federation.

Says everything about all English clubs.
    If it was true it would be but it's most likely pish.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I'd be all for it. The only stipulation being they both build stadia south of the border.

I'd be all for that.

They could build a shared stadium in Carlisle

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Does anybody see the hypocrisy in this?

English clubs scream unfair as their biggest clubs want to do something by themselves but it is okay to take the two biggest clubs from another federation.

Says everything about all English clubs.
    They wouldn't be taking them, they have to wear a big ol' baseball glove to catch them they move so fast to join up.

**** Celtic and Rangers, they want to join some British super league where they get their ***** handed to them every week? See ya, we'll take the league title.

Imagine a revamped Premiership, 16 teams, keep the split and the relegation play-offs, with us, Hearts and Aberdeen slugging it out for the league, every so often Motherwell or St Johnston getting in on the act, much better competition, much better share of the prize pot and an almost total removal of sectarianism in one move.

They might even let us drink flat beer from a plastic cup at half time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I'd be all for it. The only stipulation being they both build stadia south of the border.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I'd be all for that.

........ Parkbrox ...... there’s a nice ring to that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    If it was true it would be but it's most likely pish.

id bet there was a fair amount of hand rubbing going on along the M8 early in the week at the prospect of the EPL being 6 teams short no doubt about it, those dreams are now in tatters days later its a last ditch PR stunt IMO

a British cup though I think that could have legs, scrap both league cups and compete cross border, rejig the scottish cup a little put the prem teams in earlier to play a couple rounds away from home like pokal in germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post

id bet there was a fair amount of hand rubbing going on along the M8 early in the week at the prospect of the EPL being 6 teams short no doubt about it, those dreams are now in tatters days later its a last ditch PR stunt IMO

a British cup though I think that could have legs, scrap both league cups and compete cross border, rejig the scottish cup a little put the prem teams in earlier to play a couple rounds away from home like pokal in germany
    A British Cup would also include teams from Wales and the North of Ireland i assume.
    The top clubs in England would not be interested.
    European Comps take up enough dates during the season.
    They mostly dont play full strength teams in their League Cup as it is.

Celtic and Sevco are not needed in England.
    Also too many downsides to them being in an English set up.

Sevco fans in particular would eventually do what they have done in the past.
    Wreck city centres and terrorise folk.
    Ask Manchester citizens and older Geordies
    Newcastle city centre and the area around St James Park were wrecked after a Fairs Cup tie old rAngers lost many years ago .
    I was in Newcastle the week after it and geordie friend said the city was like a war zone the day of the game.
    Manchester suffered the same years later.
    As have other English cities in the past.
    Total mayhem, particularly if they lose.
    No, England dont want them ..or need them.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 22-04-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    A British Cup would also include teams from Wales and the North of Ireland i assume.
    The top clubs in England would not be interested.
    European Comps take up enough dates during the season.
    They mostly dont play full strength teams in their League Cup as it is.

Celtic and Sevco are not needed in England
    Also too many downsides to them being in an English set up

Sevco fans in particular would eventually do what they have done in the past.
    Wreck city centres
    Ask Manchester citizens and older Geordies
    Newcastle city centre and the area around St James Park were wrecked after a Fairs Cup tie old rAngers lost many years ago .
    I was in Newcastle the week after it and geordie friend said the city was like a war zone the day of the game.
    Manchester suffered the same years later.
    No, England dont want them ..or need them.

They might not want them or need them, but, as with the ESL, money talks, they would take a massive audience with them, money in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    They might not want them or need them, but, as with the ESL, money talks, they would take a massive audience with them, money in the bank.
    Phil
    Am nearly 70 now
    Been reading this "Old Firm" to join an English setup for decades.
    Oldcos last visit to Manchester firmly shut that door.

They dont want any more hordes invasions.
    They likely pray in some cities not to be drawn against them in existing Euro competitions.

You plucked a "story" with no substance or sources.
    The Sun does this"story" every couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I'd be all for that.

What harm did the people of Carlisle do to you

They can start in the ninth tier of english football, along side their colt teams

its been at least a couple of weeks without a weegie colts team proposition.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Clickbait nonsense from the Sun. They don't want, or more importantly need, the old firm in England.
    Right on the money, they are protective of the brand image and don't have the same religion in football problem Scotland has so why would they want to lump that on top of the issues they do have?

I dont see the good citizens of Manchester, Birmingham and the like being too keen on a follow up visit from cowardly sevconian hordes either.

The EPL clubs don't need anything the uglies bring and as has been pointed out before theres nothing in this for existing members who might lose their place to them.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Never happening. The bigot twins are toxic and the English clubs, FA, League and polis don't want them anywhere near. Sadly we will need to put up with them

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Don't see it. I remember finding an old copy of that rag clearing out someone's house. Must've been from the late 90s. The back page confirmed Andy Cole would be joining Celtic "within the next week." Think this one can be added to that.

Given the behavour of Celtic and Rangers fans when they are "on tour" I can't imagine this having any support south of the border.

So having three Welsh teams in the EFL pyramid doesn't count as having a 'British' league, but adding two Scottish teams would make it so? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    So having three Welsh teams in the EFL pyramid doesn't count as having a 'British' league, but adding two Scottish teams would make it so? Weird.
    The Tories would have their paws in it at some level to stop the rising tide for "seperation"

Tony Blair had the same thought years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-41201279

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    That cockwomble slaver Jamie O'Hara was on Talksport this morning saying how the ugly sisters should just get propelled straight into the EPL whereas Alan Brazil said a move like this would kill scottish football.

McCoist didn't really say too much - probably because he knows its a complete non-starter.

@hibs.net private member
    This is why.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/explained-why-welsh-teams-play-in-the-english-premier-league/5ch7uidrrtr41a9rcl7ov7ten

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Phil
    Am nearly 70 now
    Been reading this "Old Firm" to join an English setup for decades.
    Oldcos last visit to Manchester firmly shut that door.

They dont want any more hordes invasions.
    They likely pray in some cities not to be drawn against them in existing Euro competitions.

You plucked a "story" with no substance or sources.
    The Sun does this"story" every couple of years.
    It might have had more credibility if the super league had happened as they would have to fill a void.

Clickbait nonsense from the Sun. They don't want, or more importantly need, the old firm in England.
    That's the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    This is why.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/explained-why-welsh-teams-play-in-the-english-premier-league/5ch7uidrrtr41a9rcl7ov7ten
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    They wouldn't be taking them, they have to wear a big ol' baseball glove to catch them they move so fast to join up.

**** Celtic and Rangers, they want to join some British super league where they get their ***** handed to them every week? See ya, we'll take the league title.

Imagine a revamped Premiership, 16 teams, keep the split and the relegation play-offs, with us, Hearts and Aberdeen slugging it out for the league, every so often Motherwell or St Johnston getting in on the act, much better competition, much better share of the prize pot and an almost total removal of sectarianism in one move.

It would no doubt make the league more competitive and we would all get a bigger share of the pot but without the two arse cheeks that pot wouldn't be worth sharing and every club would end up worse off financially. As much as I hate the pair of them it's only them that the TV companies etc are interested in

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Tempting as it is to say ‘good, don’t let the door hit you in the way out’, the reality is that Hibs could not survive in our current form if we stayed behind in what’s left of the SPFL. We would need to go as well. We simply could not afford the level of infrastructure we have on the reduced income.
    Govt have a strong hand now and I can see pressure being applied by the Tories to make this happen in order to ‘save’ the union.
    My preference is for an Atlantic league over joining the English league.
    One thing is for sure, when Celtic pulled out of recent Atlantic league talks, it wasn’t because the had suddenly decided their future lay with the SPFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Cheaper players than we can afford now, no training centre, academy paired back? We can’t afford what you are suggesting without downsizing the club.

We've got Berwick so we've already got a British League too.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    It would no doubt make the league more competitive and we would all get a bigger share of the pot but without the two arse cheeks that pot wouldn't be worth sharing and every club would end up worse off financially. As much as I hate the pair of them it's only them that the TV companies etc are interested in

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Cheaper players than we can afford now, no training centre, academy paired back? We can’t afford what you are suggesting without downsizing the club.

The Norwegian, Danish, Finish and Swedish leagues all seem to manage without having two behemoths dominating the domestic game year in year out. Even in England, while money talks the title is competitive year on year and has had multiple winners since the Premier League was formed.

Better access to European competition, at least one champions league spot for the winner and 2/3 other places for the other 2 competitions.

No doubt the Sky money is brought in by Celtic and Rangers, but the way media is consumed is different now. There are multiple platforms sharing the pie, not just one giant provider hoovering up the coverage available and having a monopoly on games. It's about how the game is marketed: right now its "HERES THE OLD FIRM + some other teams too sometimes", but there are alternatives to that.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    So then we get to act like the Old Firm by dominating the league and being the big boys.

Motherwell and St J going to challenge us? Aye that’ll be right.

Winning a league without the Old Firm in it would be as hollow a victory as you could get.

Other than wins against Hearts, they’re my favourite games.

No way do I want to play in a league without them. We’d be as well going part time and being a Championship club if you just want to avoid playing the OF.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Serious Question. Where would they go when they are relegated? Would they then drop into the English second tier? Once they have gone we should not be expected to take them back.

I can see why both the teams would want to join the English set up. As much as I hate the pair they are huge clubs with huge fanbases and with access to the 00s of millions awarded down there they would have the opportunity to be extremely successful.

That being said teams similar size to Hibs and arguably smaller have helf their own in the EPL in recent years, Burnley and Bournemouth for example. On the flip side there have been a few sleeping giants in the championship recently

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    As long as they go completely. No participation in our cups or 2nd teams in any of our leagues.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk