hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with Ozy on this. If the Glasgow pair go then so should Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen. I have to say I’ve somewhat warmed to the conference model envisaged by UEFA in their Champions League plans( not the protected places though). I wonder if something of that type is what might be considered by the EPL, if there are any serious plans to include Scottish clubs.
    I'm surprised media wise there isn't the same sort of reaction that there was to the Super League proposal. Adding Celtic and Rangers would be a manipulation of the domestic game and cherry picking teams based on their size for financial reasons.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    One of the conditions for letting the ugly sisters go would be a kickback every season. I think the current EPL deal gives clubs around £100m every season, both clubs being forced to send back 5% of whatever they get would more than offset the money we’d lose in a reduced tv deal. The uglies get what they want, the rest of us don’t lose out financially and we have a competitive league that could thrive without the baggage those two bring.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    One of the conditions for letting the ugly sisters go would be a kickback every season. I think the current EPL deal gives clubs around £100m every season, both clubs being forced to send back 5% of whatever they get would more than offset the money we’d lose in a reduced tv deal. The uglies get what they want, the rest of us don’t lose out financially and we have a competitive league that could thrive without the baggage those two bring.
    Great idea but it’s a guarantee for that 5% we end up with the colts teams they’ve been trying to force on us for years

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Excellent news, we dont want them.
    Can't ever see it happening but personally I'd love to see both of them gone for good. How exciting would the league be every year? No guaranteed winner that's for sure.

Would we have bargaining power to set conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I'd be all for that.

They could build a shared stadium in Carlisle
    There's enough Weedgies down there already.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

I don't see why we (SFA/SPFL) would.

As someone else said though, it could be balanced up against the colt teams being allowed to play. Overall, that'd just end up being a lot of change for not a lot of change...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    Can't ever see it happening but personally I'd love to see both of them gone for good. How exciting would the league be every year? No guaranteed winner that's for sure.
    The worst scenario is letting them go on their own and their B teams remaining in Scotland. Let’s have a proper merger/ re structure and if they go I want Hibs to go too and have our B team in the Scottish league. Can’t see Hibs , Hearts, Dons, Arabs etc agreeing to anything else.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    IMO either merge the two league pyramids or keep things as they are, anything else is a money grabbing,indefensible nonsense by anyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

They’d need permission to leave. UEFA wouldn’t allow teams to leave without the blessing of their governing body.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Great idea but it’s a guarantee for that 5% we end up with the colts teams they’ve been trying to force on us for years
    They’re absolutely desperate to join the EPL, I doubt colt teams would be a deal breaker for them. I’m sure if we stuck to our guns we’d get what we wanted.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    They’re absolutely desperate to join the EPL, I doubt colt teams would be a deal breaker for them. I’m sure if we stuck to our guns we’d get what we wanted.
    I'm sure that they are desperate to join the epl. Unfortunately for them that the epl aren't really desperate to have them. Also can you imagine the uproar from the other 72 league teams if the bigots were somehow parachuted in above them, not to mention the other members of the football league in their system. Not ever going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I'm sure that they are desperate to join the epl. Unfortunately for them that the epl aren't really desperate to have them. Also can you imagine the uproar from the other 72 league teams if the bigots were somehow parachuted in above them, not to mention the other members of the football league in their system. Not ever going to happen.
    I totally agree, I don’t think it will happen. I was talking hypothetically.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member

Undecided

If there is anything of substance in the so called plans for Rangers and Celtic joining a reformed EPL im in a quandary as to what are Hibs best options. A lot would depend on whether this is simply a poaching of the OF or an integration of spfl and EPL and EFL. If it meant Hibs in a 2nd or 3rd tier to begin with, would we thrive or wither? Would we attract bigger investment? If we stayed in Scotland though we would definitely be in with winning tourneys regularly. Would the quality of player suffer too much or would we be more or less where we are now. How would fans of ours and the OF react over time. There does seem a lot of disenchantment top level football, money, salaries, etc. I could envisage a scenario where we are in a tight fight for the league and cups and now and again running away with it I could see us packing Easter Road in those circumstances. Then there is regular European football too. Although I’m one of the guys who have supported Atlantic league ideas before I’m swaying toward staying put in the spfl. How will OF fans react? Would we pick up some of those who don’t fancy the EPL? Mind you would Ron Gordon stay with us or sell up? What is swaying me somewhat is the under current of disenchantment among traditional fans. It could be that the OF make an historic error in going to England whilst the spfl is seen as real football.
    Having said all that it’s probably all crap written by Murdochs rag

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    If there is anything of substance in the so called plans for Rangers and Celtic joining a reformed EPL im in a quandary as to what are Hibs best options. A lot would depend on whether this is simply a poaching of the OF or an integration of spfl and EPL and EFL. If it meant Hibs in a 2nd or 3rd tier to begin with, would we thrive or wither? Would we attract bigger investment? If we stayed in Scotland though we would definitely be in with winning tourneys regularly. Would the quality of player suffer too much or would we be more or less where we are now. How would fans of ours and the OF react over time. There does seem a lot of disenchantment top level football, money, salaries, etc. I could envisage a scenario where we are in a tight fight for the league and cups and now and again running away with it I could see us packing Easter Road in those circumstances. Then there is regular European football too. Although I’m one of the guys who have supported Atlantic league ideas before I’m swaying toward staying put in the spfl. How will OF fans react? Would we pick up some of those who don’t fancy the EPL? Mind you would Ron Gordon stay with us or sell up? What is swaying me somewhat is the under current of disenchantment among traditional fans. It could be that the OF make an historic error in going to England whilst the spfl is seen as real football.
    Having said all that it’s probably all crap written by Murdochs rag
    You could have just posted your last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Isnt the 5% mandatory, then they wouldnt have a leg to stand on for the colts.
    If they go, NO COLTS. They go, good f,n riddance and thanks for the 5%.
    I do not wish to see anything associated with the blight that is sectarianism in Scottish fitba.

Scotland does have an overblown arrogance that England would even want these 2 teams but as always this arrogance belies a deep insecurity that you just dont find in other countries.😥

Denmark has pride in their football league and don't want to dismantle it and move the very top clubs to Germany.😥

Netherlands are exactly the same as Ajax or PSV or Feyenoord arent looking to move unilaterally to England or France.😥

Same with Portugal and moving Porto and Benfica to Spain. Its not even discussed.

They might consider moving their complete leagues and forming a Scandinavian League, Atlantic League or Benelux League but its very much as a uniform structure and not cherry picking 2 individual teams.

Thats so many Scottish people's mindset for you though continually conceding influence, control and ultimately power to England as they are so insecure and unsure of themselves.😥

It really is the strangest place and I can think of no country in the world remotely comparable.🤔

They could have a UK league Cup. Both league Cup comps when it gets to the semi finals stage on both sides of the border the four teams from both nations go into a draw becoming the quarter final of the UK league Cup. Games played to a finish. The final would be played at Hampden one year Wembley the following year.
    Have spoken to some English football fans about this and they all would love to see this.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 24-04-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    They could have a UK league Cup. Both league Cup comps when it gets to the semi finals stage on both sides of the border the four teams from both nations go into a draw becoming the quarter final of the UK league Cup. Games played to a finish. The final would be played at Hampden one year Wembley the following year.
    I do like the idea but the top teams in England put out seriously weakened teams already in their domestic cup competitions. They are seen as a distraction from the league and Europe so I’m not so sure there would be any appetite for this. We would be back in Anglo-Scottish Cup territory. There would be some great away trips though.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Scotland does have an overblown arrogance that England would even want these 2 teams but as always this arrogance belies a deep insecurity that you just dont find in other countries.��

Denmark has pride in their football league and don't want to dismantle it and move the very top clubs to Germany.��

Netherlands are exactly the same as Ajax or PSV or Feyenoord arent looking to move unilaterally to England or France.��

Same with Portugal and moving Porto and Benfica to Spain. Its not even discussed.

They might consider moving their complete leagues and forming a Scandinavian League, Atlantic League or Benelux League but its very much as a uniform structure and not cherry picking 2 individual teams.

Thats so many Scottish people's mindset for you though continually conceding influence, control and ultimately power to England as they are so insecure and unsure of themselves.��

It really is the strangest place and I can think of no country in the world remotely comparable.��
    Supporters of the old firm in no way speak for Scottish football, never mind the people of Scotland and I think you are stretching the analogy between football and politics to the point of ridiculousness , particularly at a time when people are about to elect a pro- independence party into government for the 4th election in succession.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 24-04-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I do like the idea but the top teams in England put out seriously weakened teams already in their domestic cup competitions. They are seen as a distraction from the league and Europe so I’m not so sure there would be any appetite for this. We would be back in Anglo-Scottish Cup territory. There would be some great away trips though.
    Agree that could be an issue but the rules of the competition could have some sort of stipulation that you must play at least 80% of your registered first team squad at this stage of the competition.

Is this some sense from Moyes?

From the bbc this morning

David Moyes believes the failure of the breakaway European Super League (ESL) provides an opportunity to consider a unified British competition instead.
    The Premier League's 'big six' all withdrew from the ESL on Tuesday following resistance to the plans.
    However, Moyes believes league reform is still needed and suggested a Premier League II - which includes Rangers and Celtic - could be an option.
    "Change is needed in some way," said the West Ham boss.
    "I think the Premier League has a brilliant product, I really do, but at the top clubs you're talking about too many games, so could we have Premier League I and Premier League II?
    "Could we have a situation where we do invite Rangers and Celtic to Premier League II? Why can we not unite the UK? Why do we have to be England and Scotland and not unite it?
    "Why can it not be a pyramid that allows teams in the Scottish leagues to get into Premier League II? In fact, I think actually more money would filter down if Rangers and Celtic could be given an opportunity to come in."
    Moyes also believes that such a reform could also help alleviate packed fixture schedules that many clubs competing in numerous competitions are having to contend with.
    The Scot added: "Why not try and make what we have got something new and maybe take a few less teams, maybe two out of the Premier League and put in Premier League II, and we have a few extra weeks.
    "The big clubs have got such a big programme, and I can only see with the new programmes them getting so many more games, and it is getting too tough to play too many games."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56865597

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Scotland does have an overblown arrogance that England would even want these 2 teams but as always this arrogance belies a deep insecurity that you just dont find in other countries.😥

Denmark has pride in their football league and don't want to dismantle it and move the very top clubs to Germany.😥

Netherlands are exactly the same as Ajax or PSV or Feyenoord arent looking to move unilaterally to England or France.😥

Thats so many Scottish people's mindset for you though continually conceding influence, control and ultimately power to England as they are so insecure and unsure of themselves.😥

It really is the strangest place and I can think of no country in the world remotely comparable.🤔
    Although I don’t necessarily disagree with your post, aren’t the Dutch and Belgian leagues looking likely to merge?