hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: saturday 29th

First Team Breakthrough

saturday 29th

anybody else noticed both ourselves and Hearts seem to be playing at home at 3pm? Checked Hibs website, Hearts website, BBC and SPFL and they all say same thing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's so the Home and Away fans can be socially distanced. First Half at ER with 2nd Half beamed back on Ron's big screens. Twice the crowd, twice tge cash😉😁🤗

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Polis have never allowed that before.....

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Livingston and Motherwell coming to town not going to clog the motorways.

And the week after we are home against St Mirren and the Scotland v England match kicks off at 4:45 at Murrayfield.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the week after we are home against St Mirren and the Scotland v England match kicks off at 4:45 at Murrayfield.

Hibs usually at home if Scotland game at Murrayfield.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Would make sense if we had moved the game earlier or Friday/Sunday.

Some fans may have wanted to attend the Hibs match and watch Scotland and we will probably end up losing out attendance wise.

@hibs.net private member
    Always annoyed me that. I get that is because they are closer to Murrayfield but I would hope that matches could be looked at in terms of KO times so fans could go to both

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Always annoyed me that. I get that is because they are closer to Murrayfield but I would hope that matches could be looked at in terms of KO times so fans could go to both
    Hibs really lose out from this as people like me go to the rugby, missing the hibs game. Surprised we don't move the game

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Yeah. There’s been a couple of times where we’ve played on the same day as Scotland but the timings have meant I could get a tram after the Hibs game and only miss the first 5 mins at Murrayfield

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Would make sense if we had moved the game earlier or Friday/Sunday.

Some fans may have wanted to attend the Hibs match and watch Scotland and we will probably end up losing out attendance wise.

Can’t play on the Friday as we are playing on the Wednesday at Motherwell
    Last thing we need is another Sunday game, hardly had any Saturday 3pm this season so far

Polis have never allowed that before.....

The polis could only say they do not have enough resources to police such "double events"

If you look back though,games at ER and tynie have been played on the same day.
    Scottish and League Cup ties for example,with bigger crowds than the grounds can hold today.

Traditionally, the Scottish Cup 5th round, when the top teams would be in the draw,would fall on the last Saturday of January.
    I remember one year in the sixties both drawn at home, and add to that Scotland at Murrayfield the same day.
    So well over 100.000 total.Murrayfield held more then than now.
    A lot less cars then too.
    Shanks pony ,bus or train !

Polis coped.

But policing games are expensive now and clubs pay a whack of that.
    That is one reason for the increase in significantly lower paid stewards at games over the years.

PS
    Do hertz no have previous for bumping payments to the polis ?
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 11-01-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    The polis could only say they do not have enough resources to police such "double events"

Scottish and League Cup ties for example,with bigger crowds than the grounds can hold today.

Traditionally, the Scottish Cup 5th round, when the top teams would be in the draw,would fall on the last Saturday of January.
    I remember one year in the sixties both drawn at home, and add to that Scotland at Murrayfield the same day.

Polis coped.

That is one reason for the increase in significantly lower paid stewards at games over the years.

PS
    When I said never happened before I should have pointed out I've only been around since the 80's . Pretty sure it hasn't happened since then.

My assumption was that another reason back then was the prospect of 4 teams fans kicking about Edinburgh was not ideal when the casuals were prominent.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    When I said never happened before I should have pointed out I've only been around since the 80's . Pretty sure it hasn't happened since then.

My assumption was that another reason back then was the prospect of 4 teams fans kicking about Edinburgh was not ideal when the casuals were prominent.
    Although obviously it's rare, it has happened more recently – I remember getting on a bus on North Bridge and running into a Jambo acquaintance, both of us on the way home from games. This would probably have been around 2001 or 2002. I don't remember the details, but I assume both games were cat B so there was no great policing problem.

I understand that (age)
    For whatever reasons, PC Plod would not want to be policing 2 or 3 big sports events on the same day.

But not so long ago 150.000 plus people were on the streets of Edinburgh celebrating Cup win.
    Also,in the past,Hogmanay parties in the town centre had as many.

The pavement dancers get too much police attention.
    Let the numpties dance away.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 11-01-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Polis coped.

PS
    The one I remember is us at home to Aberdeen, Hearts v Rangers and Scotland v Wales(all pay at the gate). Some of the Welsh guys came to Easter Road-not by mistake -they were up to enjoy the weekend not particularly the rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The one I remember is us at home to Aberdeen, Hearts v Rangers and Scotland v Wales(all pay at the gate). Some of the Welsh guys came to Easter Road-not by mistake -they were up to enjoy the weekend not particularly the rugby.
    I'm surprised they let the two football matches go on at the same time never mind the rugby.

Could have got messy with Hibs, Hearts, Rangers & Aberdeen fans all in the city at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Indeed
    You can only guess how many Dons, Sevco and Welsh fans descended on the City and attended those games.
    Although,many of the Welsh would have been here all that week.
    One Welshman from Port Talbot came up every time for many years and always watched the game in Mathers !
    My Faither was pally with him. Be drunk all week !

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Can’t play on the Friday as we are playing on the Wednesday at Motherwell
    Last thing we need is another Sunday game, hardly had any Saturday 3pm this season so far
    Yep, thinking about changing my username to 19.45.

I'm surprised they let the two football matches go on at the same time never mind the rugby.

Could have got messy with Hibs, Hearts, Rangers & Aberdeen fans all in the city at the same time.
    Apart from rAngers hordes , the rest back in the "old days" would have little nonsense/violence.
    In fact,no segregation in the ground then.

Maybe young team having a scuffle on Regent Road/London Road at the "away" buses would be about it.

When the orange hordes came to town,many parents would not let their youngsters go.
    Sometimes,what is now known as Cat A games, would not have child prices or " Boys Gate" as it was called then.

You think having 3 or 4 thousand of them these days is bad.
    Back then, 20.000 plus of them was not unknown,if they were top o' the league.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Yep, thinking about changing my username to 19.45.

Or 12.30 Sunday.

TV schedules eh!
    Hampden Semi Finals at noon when Aberdeen or ICT or R.County are playing.!
    Ridiculous

Apart from rAngers hordes , the rest back in the "old days" would have little nonsense/violence.
    In fact,no segregation in the ground then.

Maybe young team having a scuffle on Regent Road/London Road at the "away" buses would be about it.

When the orange hordes came to town,many parents would not let their youngsters go.
    Sometimes,what is now known as Cat A games, would not have child prices or " Boys Gate" as it was called then.

You think having 3 or 4 thousand of them these days is bad.
    Back then, 20.000 plus of them was not unknown,if they were top o' the league.
    I imagine their away support fairly dropped off in the late 70's/early 80's.

I imagine their away support fairly dropped off in the late 70's/early 80's.

Aye..... They only go when they're winning !!

When Jock Stein was winning everything with Celtic ..Ibrox was a graveyard some games and away support not so big either .
    Been at Ibrox and Celtic Park for games when attendance was lower than we get now.

Celtic before Stein and sevco before Souness/Murray.

Did we not play Middlesbrough at home on same day that Barcelona played Hearts at Murrayfield ? Been at home while Hearts were also at home in cup too a few times .
    In Glasgow Celtic were at home in league the day we played Livi in LC final .
    Going further back , in 1980 we played Celtic in SC semi at same time as Aberdeen played Rangers in other semi at Parkhead . About 50 000 at each match .