hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Camera Help

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Camera Help

Hi Folks,

I was hoping there may be a camera geek amongst us that may be able to help me with something.

I recently started my own business selling properties, before starting up I took a note of the camera I had in my old job that I thought was ideal for what I needed. To my knowledge I went out and bought the same one, it’s not as good though and I’ve no idea what I need to do to fix it.

When I’m photographing the inside of a room it’s like I’m photographing the corner of it despite me being zoomed out where as with the old camera it captured the whole room much better.

I assumed it would be a wide angle lens I needed but everything I can see online is showing numbers as being 18-55 (I don’t know what those numbers relate to, they seem relevant though) and that’s what my current lens is.

Is there a wider angle lens I should be looking for or is there likely to be a setting I’ve mucked up?

It’s a canon eos 4000D I have if that makes a difference.

Appreciate any help anyone can give.

Cheers.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Someone better qualified will be able to give you more information but is it possible you previously had a fish eye lense on the camera?

They'd capture a bit more. However they may not have been what was used as they can sometimes show things a bit too distorted and might not be what a property agent would want to use.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone better qualified will be able to give you more information but is it possible you previously had a fish eye lense on the camera?

They'd capture a bit more. However they may not have been what was used as they can sometimes show things a bit too distorted and might not be what a property agent would want to use.
    Thanks for the reply.

I would assume that would be for really wide outdoor landscape shots? I really don’t know though.

Quite frustrating as the photos in my job are so important and I’ve spent the last 6 months slating agents who take bad photos, now I’ve realised if I can’t sort this I’ll be one of them 😂

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Hi Folks,

I was hoping there may be a camera geek amongst us that may be able to help me with something.

I recently started my own business selling properties, before starting up I took a note of the camera I had in my old job that I thought was ideal for what I needed. To my knowledge I went out and bought the same one, it’s not as good though and I’ve no idea what I need to do to fix it.

When I’m photographing the inside of a room it’s like I’m photographing the corner of it despite me being zoomed out where as with the old camera it captured the whole room much better.

I assumed it would be a wide angle lens I needed but everything I can see online is showing numbers as being 18-55 (I don’t know what those numbers relate to, they seem relevant though) and that’s what my current lens is.

Is there a wider angle lens I should be looking for or is there likely to be a setting I’ve mucked up?

It’s a canon eos 4000D I have if that makes a difference.

Appreciate any help anyone can give.

Cheers.

Yes. 18-55 is the general purpose Canon kit lens that comes as a package with the body.

Something like this would probably do the trick - https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...-STM-Lens.aspx

You can spend a lot more if you want though.

Small explanation - 18-55mm is the focal length of the lens. It's a range because it's a zoom lens so you can vary it.

In the old days of 35mm film, a focal length of 50mm was roughly the "natural" view you would get by eye, anything above that is magnifying but a smaller viewing angle and anything below that wide angle. These days, camera sensors tend to be smaller than the film was, so the numbers don't come out quite the same. I think 18mm on Canon EOS would be roughly 30mm in old money, so wide but not that wide.
    Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 21-04-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Yes. 18-55 is the general purpose Canon kit lens that comes as a package with the body.

Something like this would probably do the trick - https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...-STM-Lens.aspx

Small explanation - 18-55mm is the focal length of the lens. It's a range because it's a zoom lens so you can vary it.

In the old days of 35mm film, a focal length of 50mm was roughly the "natural" view you would get by eye, anything above that is magnifying but a smaller viewing angle and anything below that wide angle. These days, camera sensors tend to be smaller than the film was, so the numbers don't come out quite the same. I think 18mm on Canon EOS would be roughly 30mm in old money, so wide but not that wide.
    Thanks mate, that’s really useful.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

Ordered a reconditioned one through a website called MPB, was down to £130 which was much cheaper than I was seeing elsewhere.

It’s just been delivered and it was exactly what I was needing. Thanks again for the advice, will make a huge difference when I’m visiting properties so thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Ordered a reconditioned one through a website called MPB, was down to £130 which was much cheaper than I was seeing elsewhere.

It’s just been delivered and it was exactly what I was needing. Thanks again for the advice, will make a huge difference when I’m visiting properties so thanks again.
    No probs. Glad you're sorted.