hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Leeds have changed tonight’s fixture on their twitter it now says they are playing Merseyside Reds rather than Liverpool

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The difference is that these clubs aren’t looking to leave their domestic leagues. They’re going to get super rich (more super rich) and so will completely dominate their domestic leagues.

If Rangers and Celtic left Scottish football, the rest of us are on a pretty even playing field where the gap between the richest and poorest top Flight teams is big but not overwhelming.
    They don't want to leave their domestic leagues but they know that is a potential punishment for this.

That tells me they aren't too fussed about domestic football anymore. Even if they are allowed to stay, the domestic league will very quickly become like the FA Cup, or even the League Cup is currently like in England - a second or third priority.

Players will be rested for the 'big' Super League games, and the TV money will drop massively, meaning even less of a reason to pursue domestic success. I'd sure the distribution model of TV money in the EPL will change as well. In short, if this goes ahead these clubs are not going to be fussed one bit about domestic success, and certainly won't dominate. The competitive element will be ruined. Better off without them imo.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Hopefully we can get back to:

- European Cup - for league winners only
    - Cup Winners Cup - for Cup winners only
    - UEFA Cup
    I would love to see that happen.

The only downside I can see to this from a Hibs point of view is UEFA decided to again restructure the Champions League/ Europa and decide to do away with the Conference League.

There are still going to be some huge clubs in England - Villa, Everton, Leeds, Newcastle just for starters and there’ll be room now at the top table down there for clubs with great traditions like Forest and Sheffield Wednesday etc. As it stands now I’ve no interest in watching the Premiership chugfest and the fawning over the same six teams, it is of no relevance to me and it’s quite frankly boring but I’d be inclined to watch it if it’s freshened up and there are new clubs challenging for the league and FA Cup, as it currently is I couldn’t tell you the last time I sat and watched an English match that wasn’t an early round of the FA Cup featuring an underdog.

As for the ‘Champions’ league. Another farce. Teams who finish 4th in their leagues straight into the money and parachuted into the groups, then other countries champions having to negotiate 3 qualifying rounds, it’s an absolute joke.

There’ll still be big clubs in the Champions League, just off the top of my head England’s lot, the likes of Feyenoord and Ajax, Benfica, Marseille, Roma, Lazio, Valencia. It’ll be a far more level playing field and I’d rather watch those clubs than Chelsea v Barcelona or Juventus v Man City every season.

It’s pure greed, and done purely to suit these African and Asian supporters who’s idea of supporting a team is buying the strip every season and posting rubbish on said clubs social media posts, or the pub bore who sits in boozers in every city up and down Britain ‘supporting’ Chelsea or Liverpool and patronising other punters for following the local team. As much as I genuinely feel for the Man U or Arsenal season ticket holder from Salford or north London who follow their team all over the country every week, their clubs are now soulless franchises and I hope and pray the ESL ends in a complete and utter disaster.
    Last edited by .Sean.; 19-04-2021 at 12:11 PM.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Andy Walker wants Celtic and rangers to join 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Leeds have changed tonight’s fixture on their twitter it now says they are playing Merseyside Reds rather than Liverpool
    😂 Following SJM'S suggestion.

https://twitter.com/jmcginn7/status/...076695048?s=19

FWIW I think this would be great for European football. Ridiculous money has been pumped into the big leagues and peanuts (in comparison) into the rest. Take away the big attractions from England, Spain and Italy and away goes a giant share of the cash. Currently every Hibs fan accepts we have no hope of competing with bottom of the table English Championship teams for players - that's not right. Sadly it might kill some of the big names in these leagues, going from the TV revenues of today to whatever Sky will off now will leave them bankrupt!
    This is a bit like the old Rugby League v Rugby Union debate.....players will go there for the money and will be missed....at little....but the game will go on. The Super League will evolve outside of a governing body and in years to come may even look like a different sport, its masters in Asia and the US, not at its ancestral home. In a while we wont care, the likes of Man Utd will be playing a different game for a different market.
    Its the natural destination given how clubs have evolved from 'sports clubs' to businesses. I fear for the teams in the leagues they leave behind....its a new opportunity for the other leagues though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    I don't think their directors are members of the right golf clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Dr What If? View Post
    I don't think their directors are members of the right golf clubs
    I’m just picturing all the directors of the ESL clubs sitting around a big boardroom table brainstorming ideas when one of them pipes up with

“You know what this new league is desperately lacking?! Seventeen century religious bigotry! Give Rangers and Celtic a call.”

A big reason this has been announced now is there are no fans in grounds. 90%+ fans are violently opposed, and certain fan groups would be literally dragging the top brass out of their posh seats.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    I’m just picturing all the directors of the ESL clubs sitting around a big boardroom table brainstorming ideas when one of them pipes up with

“You know what this new league is desperately lacking?! Seventeen century religious bigotry! Give Rangers and Celtic a call.”
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I'm with this fan of one of the oldest clubs in the game.

A plague upon this exploitative cabal and the self annointed big 6.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    How long will it take before one of the clubs change their name based on whoever owns them? I’m thinking about some of these Middle Eastern owners rebranding the clubs and possibly relocating them. Clubs like Man City could just disappear, it happens in America. It won’t happen immediately, but a few years down the line this could be a more global league, 6 clubs from England would leave a few of them open for relocation.

United we stand here....

My feelings towards this are the same as when I gave up playing FIFA and Football Manager and went back to playing Sensible Soccer and Championship Manager 01/02.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Reports filtering through of a proposed breakaway Scottish Super League featuring Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs and Brora. 😉

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    SJM maybe not getting the big move now with comments like that. He may have to settle for a top team like West Ham after all. What's 30% of £10m?

"The game was definitely still about the fans when Utd were paying me £60k a week"

-G. Neville, Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by mixumatosis View Post
    "The game was definitely still about the fans when Utd were paying me £60k a week"

-G. Neville, Manchester
    Completely disagree with this viewpoint to be honest. What are the players meant to do? Say just pay me 500 a week, that’ll get me by? Its the owners causing all of this. Players accepting the money offered to them is always going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    . What's 30% of £10m?
    Do you really need to ask that?

Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    Completely disagree with this viewpoint to be honest. What are the players meant to do? Say just pay me 500 a week, that’ll get me by? Its the owners causing all of this. Players accepting the money offered to them is always going to happen.
    I don't blame any player for taking what's on offer and I'm pleased Gary Neville has come out and said what he's said. But the notion that this is the point where football became divorced from what it used to be is nonsense. We passed that point long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    Yep. Don’t understand why a few are so keen to make this about Neville being a hypocrite. Every ex player and pundit working for sky sports are *****ing loaded through football, we know that. It would be disappointing if they were not using the platform they have through this employment to say the right things.

Neville is very much saying the right things in my opinion. Regardless of whether he made a lot of money playing at the top level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    We couldnt be that lucky. A spfl without them?
    Could we? Please let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I would love to see that happen.

The only downside I can see to this from a Hibs point of view is UEFA decided to again restructure the Champions League/ Europa and decide to do away with the Conference League.

There are still going to be some huge clubs in England - Villa, Everton, Leeds, Newcastle just for starters and there’ll be room now at the top table down there for clubs with great traditions like Forest and Sheffield Wednesday etc. As it stands now I’ve no interest in watching the Premiership chugfest and the fawning over the same six teams, it is of no relevance to me and it’s quite frankly boring but I’d be inclined to watch it if it’s freshened up and there are new clubs challenging for the league and FA Cup, as it currently is I couldn’t tell you the last time I sat and watched an English match that wasn’t an early round of the FA Cup featuring an underdog.

As for the ‘Champions’ league. Another farce. Teams who finish 4th in their leagues straight into the money and parachuted into the groups, then other countries champions having to negotiate 3 qualifying rounds, it’s an absolute joke.

There’ll still be big clubs in the Champions League, just off the top of my head England’s lot, the likes of Feyenoord and Ajax, Benfica, Marseille, Roma, Lazio, Valencia. It’ll be a far more level playing field and I’d rather watch those clubs than Chelsea v Barcelona or Juventus v Man City every season.

It’s pure greed, and done purely to suit these African and Asian supporters who’s idea of supporting a team is buying the strip every season and posting rubbish on said clubs social media posts, or the pub bore who sits in boozers in every city up and down Britain ‘supporting’ Chelsea or Liverpool and patronising other punters for following the local team. As much as I genuinely feel for the Man U or Arsenal season ticket holder from Salford or north London who follow their team all over the country every week, their clubs are now soulless franchises and I hope and pray the ESL ends in a complete and utter disaster.
    A lot of good points mate. Agree with vast majority but I fear the implications for Hibs in long term may be more than what you’ve stated above, if this shambles were to go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Yep. Don’t understand why a few are so keen to make this about Neville being a hypocrite. Every ex player and pundit working for sky sports are *****ing loaded through football, we know that. It would be disappointing if they were not using the platform they have through this employment to say the right things.

Neville is very much saying the right things in my opinion. Regardless of whether he made a lot of money playing at the top level.
    Exactly, Gary Neville was bang on in what he said and there was nothing hypocritical about it. This type of logic just suggests that all footballers shouldn’t say anything about it, which is exactly how we let the game be ruined.

Just let them go for it. The various reports seem to suggest City and Chelsea aren’t fully onboard, the German clubs have said no, the French are currently saying no, so call their bluff. The 10 or 12 can join their super league, borrow their billions from JP Morgan and see how it goes. Would be hilarious if after a few years of revenue below expectations, the bank calls the debt in and those clubs end up broken, ruined and limping back to their home countries.

Meantime, the rest of us carry on as normal. Champions Leagues being fought over by Ajax, Dortmund and co. Genuine title fights in England, Spain and Italy. Sounds fine to me.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Just let them go for it. The various reports seem to suggest City and Chelsea aren’t fully onboard, the German clubs have said no, the French are currently saying no, so call their bluff. The 10 or 12 can join their super league, borrow their billions from JP Morgan and see how it goes. Would be hilarious if after a few years of revenue below expectations, the bank calls the debt in and those clubs end up broken, ruined and limping back to their home countries.

Meantime, the rest of us carry on as normal. Champions Leagues being fought over by Ajax, Dortmund and co. Genuine title fights in England, Spain and Italy. Sounds fine to me.
    That sounds amazing. Do it!

Don't worry folks, Doncaster is going to use his executive powers to cancel the European Super League. Get the champagne on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Sorry if you've already posted them and I've not seen, Scouse, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts on all this as a diehard scouser?

It's fairly easy for us to say "if it was Hibs" or indeed for me to listen to one of the Liverpool 'fans' I know in my social circles. But what are your feelings on it right now? Do you already feel completely let down by the club? Do you think you would walk away if it were all to go ahead as 'proposed'?

UEFA president confirms that players of the teams involved in the closed league will be unable to participate in the World Cup and Euro’s, I assume that includes this summer’s competition.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    UEFA president confirms that players of the teams involved in the closed league will be unable to participate in the World Cup and Euro’s, I assume that includes this summer’s competition.
    Doig at left back for Scotland then😀

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Do we know if this is all as a result of one of Anne Budge's Task forces ?