hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    I wonder how thought through the super league proposaIs are? The clubs involved intend to have a closed shop of course but could their own domestic leagues become part of the closed shop? The big 5 leagues make up a 20 club super league, but then they have 5 feeder leagues: EPL, Series A, La liga, Lihue 1, Bundesliga. They close the relegation trapdoor of their domestic leagues permanently and perhaps reduce the domestic league size to 16. I suspect that would change a lot of folks minds in these 5 Countries. It would scoop up most of the finance. This is why folks have discussed something like an Atlantic League because countries like ours, scandics, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Central and Easterm Europe would have to reorganise

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Glorified exhibition games every year, shame on all the clubs involved. It’ll never come to fruition but if it does I hope games authorities have the balls to follow through on the threat around removing them from national leagues etc and would watch how the fans/players/sponsors leave in their droves.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This will kill domestic football in the counties involved. It’s already very difficult for clubs to compete with the richest clubs, this just makes the gap insurmountable.
    At the very least, I hope it makes some people in England sit up and take notice.

Many of them have sat back and laughed at our "tinpot" league while clubs in backwater towns down there hoover up vast sums of TV money to artificially make their league look "the greatest in the world".

Its absolutely no different to when the EPL broke away all those years ago - its all about the ££££££

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    I wonder how thought through the super league proposaIs are? The clubs involved intend to have a closed shop of course but could their own domestic leagues become part of the closed shop? The big 5 leagues make up a 20 club super league, but then they have 5 feeder leagues: EPL, Series A, La liga, Lihue 1, Bundesliga. They close the relegation trapdoor of their domestic leagues permanently and perhaps reduce the domestic league size to 16. I suspect that would change a lot of folks minds in these 5 Countries. It would scoop up most of the finance. This is why folks have discussed something like an Atlantic League because countries like ours, scandics, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Central and Easterm Europe would have to reorganise
    I don’t really think the “Atlantic League” is in any way comparable to the new Euro Super League.

The reason the ESL is an option is because it’ll involve the worlds best players so demand to see it will always be there, regardless of anyone’s disgust about greed.

The Atlantic League would be made up of teams and players that the majority of folk just couldn’t care less about.

Don’t forget the EPL was set up in 1992 as a breakaway from English football league to gain more money and better TV deals...

The irony of fans in England complaining about this is pretty funny to see.

Agree with post earlier it won’t affect Hibs much at all - Old Firm probably more concerned as the gap grows further and they won’t get anywhere in Europe.

Also remember the English teams are still competing for the EPL - I think fans think they are leaving the EPL to play Europe super league only - just a more lucrative Champions League which guarantees the richer clubs always have guaranteed income - rather than stressing if they make the top 4 !

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Don’t forget the EPL was set up in 1992 as a breakaway from English football league to gain more money and better TV deals...

The irony of fans in England complaining about this is pretty funny to see.

Agree with post earlier it won’t affect Hibs much at all - Old Firm probably more concerned as the gap grows further and they won’t get anywhere in Europe.

Also remember the English teams are still competing for the EPL - I think fans think they are leaving the EPL to play Europe super league only - just a more lucrative Champions League which guarantees the richer clubs always have guaranteed income - rather than stressing if they make the top 4 !
    They need to be kicked out for this very reason

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    They need to be kicked out for this very reason
    Even if the leagues threatened to kick out the new euro super league clubs, those clubs will know they’d never go through with it.

The English Premiership is all about money, they’re not going to throw out all the clubs that the sponsors are interested in.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    I think the mistake people make is to assume that your average season ticket holder at these clubs matters in the slightest. The average Joe 55 year old taxi driver from Manchester that has been a City season ticket holder for 30 years mattered when they were in the third division, but once Abu Dhabi bought the club he became irrelevant. They could afford to just fly in social media influencers from around the world to fill any empty seats and post propaganda about how amazing the atmosphere and football is if they wanted to.

What will decide this is whether they get buy in from TV subscribers and, following on from that, advertisers. Nothing else matters really. I suspect this is probably a leap too far too soon and they'll end up doing a deal with UEFA that guarantees certain clubs annual access to The Champions League based on club rankings or similar with just one or two places left open from teams outside the big 5 leagues. This proposal is what we're looking at eventually but we might be a few TV negotiation rounds away from it becoming a reality just yet.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    The idea of the Atlantic League was to group teams from weaker leagues into a single league to try to close the gap a bit on the major European leagues and level the playing field at least a little bit. This super league thing is just the richest of the rich trying to make themselves even richer.

Regardless of personal views on the Atlantic League I'm surprised anyone is even trying to make the comparison to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    The Atlantic league idea is an attempt by big clubs in small countries to bridge the financial gap so they can compete with clubs from the big countries.

The Super league is an attempt by big clubs in big countries to create a permanent gap to everyone else so they only have to compete with each other.
    We would be doing to Scotland what these teams are doing to their own leagues. That's why I don't understand the leniency towards the Atlantic League m

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This will kill domestic football in the counties involved. It’s already very difficult for clubs to compete with the richest clubs, this just makes the gap insurmountable.

What's the difference with rangers and celtic leaving our league. A lot of people on here will tell you that's a great thing and that it would be great for us and Scottish football. Are fans of clubs like Villa, Leeds and Newcastle not excited about the chance to win the EPL and a level playing field.
    English football will survive. You only need to look at the championship down there to see that. Where I would be concerned is if I was a fan of a mid table Spanish or Italian team.

It wouldn't happen but thevother clubs in England, Italy and Spain should have a zoom call and agree to refuse to play against any of the Dirty Dozen in any competition. Force the domestic associations to expel them.
    Last edited by 007; 19-04-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    What's the difference with rangers and celtic leaving our league. A lot of people on here will tell you that's a great thing and that it would be great for us and Scottish football. Are fans of clubs like Villa, Leeds and Newcastle not excited about the chance to win the EPL and a level playing field.
    English football will survive. You only need to look at the championship down there to see that. Where I would be concerned is if I was a fan of a mid table Spanish or Italian team.
    The teams aren’t leaving their domestic leagues

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    The teams aren’t leaving their domestic leagues
    Are they not

Gamer IDs

Are they not
    I don’t think so. Isn’t this just to replace the Champions League?

Coaching Staff
    Are they not
    No, it is a midweek competition instead of the Champions League - which was by and large a pretty closed shop at the top end anyway.

Are they not
    Their intention is that this will be a midweek competition and they will still be in their demestic leagues. They will no longer be part of the UEFA competitions

Assuming this goes ahead as planned and the Champions League continued with the same qualifying criteria but with the Super League teams excluded, 10th place in the EPL could qualify for the Champions League.

Left by mutual consent!
    Most clubs have left ECA and stood down from roles at uefa.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    I think the mistake people make is to assume that your average season ticket holder at these clubs matters in the slightest. The average Joe 55 year old taxi driver from Manchester that has been a City season ticket holder for 30 years mattered when they were in the third division, but once Abu Dhabi bought the club he became irrelevant. They could afford to just fly in social media influencers from around the world to fill any empty seats and post propaganda about how amazing the atmosphere and football is if they wanted to.
    Spot on.

It's when Joe's £550 season ticket seat could be sold for £250 per game to wealthy Korean tourists on a Super League package holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    No, it is a midweek competition instead of the Champions League - which was by and large a pretty closed shop at the top end anyway.

Yeah, if you look at the semi-finalists every year, it's amazing how small a group of clubs that's been over the last 10-15 years

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Assuming this goes ahead as planned and the Champions League continued with the same qualifying criteria but with the Super League teams excluded, 10th place in the EPL could qualify for the Champions League.
    They’ll probably have to rethink that champions league theme tune.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    They’ll probably have to rethink that champions league theme tune.

And the name of the competition would be even more stupid.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I'm clearly missing something here as I don't really get what the issue is?

Initially I assumed these clubs were leaving their domestic leagues in order to start a new league, something akin to a master league you'd set up on the PlayStation - but it's just a midweek competition similar to the champions league.

I don't really see how it changes much.

The champions league has been edging closer and closer to being a closed off group of teams for ages now, this has just taken it an extra step on from where Uefa have been going themselves. The money driven and elitist priorities of uefa have seen to that by the way they structure these tournaments with qualifying, seeding, and coefficients along with the excessive prize money on offer. They've built the environment where the European competitions, even simply qualifying for them, are more important than domestic duties for these teams.
    The same clubs have been reaching the later stages repeatedly, buoyed by the finances of getting there previously or by unsustainable financial backing that uefa turn a blind eye to. They're just upset someone else has came in and used the same tactics they've been using for years against them.

This just feels like another step change rather than a seismic shift in the way elite football cater for themselves.

Not that it makes it any nicer, I'm not defending the decision - just not sure it's anything other than a bit more of the same at the moment.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

Initially I assumed these clubs were leaving their domestic leagues in order to start a new league, something akin to a master league you'd set up on the PlayStation - but it's just a midweek competition similar to the champions league.

The champions league has been edging closer and closer to being a closed off group of teams for ages now, this has just taken it an extra step on from where Uefa have been going themselves. The money driven and elitist priorities of uefa have seen to that by the way they structure these tournaments with qualifying, seeding, and coefficients along with the excessive prize money on offer. They've built the environment where the European competitions, even simply qualifying for them, are more important than domestic duties for these teams.
    The same clubs have been reaching the later stages repeatedly, buoyed by the finances of getting there previously or by unsustainable financial backing that uefa turn a blind eye to. They're just upset someone else has came in and used the same tactics they've been using for years against them.

This just feels like another step change rather than a seismic shift in the way elite football cater for themselves.

Not that it makes it any nicer, I'm not defending the decision - just not sure it's anything other than a bit more of the same at the moment.
    It's not nearly the same if the 'Founding clubs' are firstly given 350 million each and guarenteed entry every year

They could all finish outwith top 4 and still be automatically given entry

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

The issue is because it's about the big teams shafting everyone else to line their own pockets. There will be a knock on effect that will impact all other clubs.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Bayern, along with Dortmund and PSG have already declined the offer to join.
    Indeed and the 50+1% genuine fan ownership will put a stop to this.

(Genuine fan ownership not pretendy Hearts fan ownership).

J

Coaching Staff

I think the main argument against is that rightly or wrongly the Champions League is now seen as the pinnacle and where the clubs are all trying to get to. This proposal would now stop the likes of Leicester, Everton, whoever from ever getting there.

In practice it was already a pretty self perpetuating competition with the added protection for bigger clubs of getting a good crack at the Europa League if you failed.

I'm assuming the expectation is that UEFA would still run its own competition that you could qualify for but would obviously not be seen in the same light. Were Leicester or Everton ever going to reach the final stages anyway? Doubt it but I suppose it was technically open to them even if it was financially rigged against them.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    And the name of the competition would be even more stupid.
    Interstellar Galacticos League of Champion level dobbers..........

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Bring it on, hope Rangers and Celtic get to join and the rest of us can get on with our lives. The Champions League doesn't interest me in the slightest so I can't see me taking any interest in a super league.

A competitive Scottish league where it's £20 maximum to enter a ground with the prestige and history kept intact. What's not to like?

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft

Arsenal currently 9th in their league and scraping a draw against Fulham are now guaranteed an equivalent of a CL space with no qualification needed and given access to billions of pounds prizemoney, shafting clubs in their own league who are miles ahead of them at the moment.

Thats the problem with it in my opinion. I only use Arsenal as an example.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"