hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye I trusted it on your first post mate, just thought it was interesting the markets vanished. Maybe was earlier and down to the uncertainty of what’ll happen as opposed to a reaction of suspension rumours!
    UEFA conducting meetings now with the outcome a few hours away apparently, so the rumours of cancellation might end up being true - but obviously those saying it's already official are off the mark. Wonder what stories we'll be waking up to.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Florentino Perez, chairman of The Super League:

“If the players participating in the European Super League are banned from playing the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, we will create our own World Cup tournament. It is not a big deal.”

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post

“If the players participating in the European Super League are banned from playing the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, we will create our own World Cup tournament. It is not a big deal.”
    I thought April fools day was 1st April?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I hope UEFA and their domestic leagues hammer them, greedy pricks that they are.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

He sounds like a power crazed maniac that wants to go head to head with Fifa and Uefa.

He's also come out with "We will help football at every level" and talks about "substantially increasing solidarity". Is anybody buying that? I doubt it.

I’m not usually one for calling for thread maintenance but probably worth these two being merged or keeping it to the original.

Found myself flicking into both every time, and have a feeling things will be busy on the thread/s tomorrow 😳

@hibs.net private member

That makes little zero in reality. 20 teams cannot possibly provide any meaningful international pool of players. Whilst you could perhaps make an England, Spain and Italy squad and perhaps a few others from the teams proposed, you cannot make most other international teams. Instead you end up with a dozen or so players of certain nationality’s (perhaps all from similar playing positions) unable to play for their own FA or form a new international team as Perez suggests.

Even if they could the appeal of current international football is that you see all the top players who otherwise never cross paths play each other, and a few wildcards from leagues you know nothing about. That factor is gone if they are all in one league.

On a separate point I wonder if this does go ahead if it would raise the possibility of a British League being created.

I hope it fails and brings down the financial greed of the current game with it (fat chance).

I hated the new proposals for the champions league so at least this might knock out than plan out. UEFA and FIFA need to go nuclear here as not give an inch. Allowing this to happen really is the death of our game as we know it and the final nail in fans being cared about.
    Last edited by Paul1642; 19-04-2021 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    On a separate point I wonder if this does go ahead if it would raise the possibility of a British League being created.
    Never. Opens the door to Team GB. Will NEVER be accepted by the fans in 3 of the 4 home nations.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Disgraceful stuff and the teams involved should be absolutely hammered for this. Of course, it's no coincidence that most of them are heavily in debt. The whole episode is a slight and embarrassment on the game we love.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    When are we joining it?
    Never. It's a closed shop and invitation only. No guaranteed qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I wonder if any of these clubs consulted their fans.
    No, presented as a fait accompli.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    I read somewhere earlier that the current English TV deal only has a year to run. This creates a very high chance in the next deal being at a much reduced price which could defiantly put a lot of the remaining English teams in deep trouble.

@hibs.net private member
    Also who are the other 3 clubs!l? Lots of rumours but nothing confirmed. I really hope the Germans stay out of it.

Also who are the other 3 clubs!l? Lots of rumours but nothing confirmed. I really hope the Germans stay out of it.
    Bayern, Leipzig and Porto I have seen mentioned.

Bayern, Leipzig and Porto I have seen mentioned.
    Can't see Porto tbh... The other clubs are huge and have truly world wide support bases, can't see Porto in the company of them. Bayern and Leipzig leaving the bundesliga would make it a better league imo, **** both of them

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Bayern, along with Dortmund and PSG have already declined the offer to join.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    ‘Solidarity’

Oh
    My sides

Enjoying watching the fallout. Makes absolutely no difference to me or my team but hilarious watching everyone in England spitting feathers. Greed finally biting them on the arse.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Enjoying watching the fallout. Makes absolutely no difference to me or my team but hilarious watching everyone in England spitting feathers. Greed finally biting them on the arse.
    Totally agree.

Might affect us in Europe next season though.

We could win the bloody thing now 😂

@hibs.net private member
    My understanding is that no German clubs will join given their ownership models where fans own 51%

A least we won't have to listen to English pundits call the EPL the best league in the world anymore. They'll probably turn it around to Britians top league or something now.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    the contempt these s****bag clubs have for their own histories is extraordinary.

Real Madrid 13 times EC/CL winners including the first 5 in the competition’s history.
    Liverpool 6 times Champions of Europe
    Manchester United first English team to enter it (against the wishes of the authorities it must be said) and lost 8 players trying to win it

spurs...

anyway, the fact they are all willing to ditch that competition as if it means nothing to them speaks volumes

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Bayern, along with Dortmund and PSG have already declined the offer to join.
    I think they’ve just not joined yet rather than declined. Sitting on the fence. Leipzig were created as a money making venture in the first place.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I think this implosion of the top elite level football is absolutely fantastic and has been a long time coming.

I know it’s very popular but I’ve had absolutely zero interest in champions league football the last 4 or 5 years and the Premiership has been heading the same way. Something big needed to happen, hopefully this is it.

My preference would be for thes big clubs to get kicked out the premier league, the European super league to die on its arse and sky/BT to withdraw their ridiculous TV deals.

Let clubs find their own identity and start again from scratch.

Wont happen I know but I love the idea of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Never. Opens the door to Team GB. Will NEVER be accepted by the fans in 3 of the 4 home nations.
    I think it's more likely that Celtic and Rangers will form a league with the top teams from Holland, France, Germany etc. And with all the sponsors and tv companies.

And where will that leave Scottish football?

Was going to set up a poll to gauge views (I think I know the answer), but don't want to start a new thread.

Can Admins add some poll questions to this thread - simple question "in favour - yes or no".

In my view, I agree with many have said. I enjoy watching the Champions League, as teams do have to excel in their own leagues first. If it's the same old teams every season, then I would rather watch paint dry.

Anyone who supports this in any way shape or form isn't a football fan. If UEFA back down and make the CL a closed shop or even guarantee certain clubs entry whilst leaving some places open to qualification then they are as bad and will just be facilitating the next 'super' league in 5 or 10 years when the greedy picks want more.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    So i have barely seen any positive comments about this, whats the difference between this and the Atlantic league as there was some support for that? To me they are both the same, money grabbing owners who don't care about the fans.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Their intention is to run this concurrently with continuing to compete in the domestic leagues which gives an indication of the end game.

i.e. some fudge with UEFA to adjust the "Champions League" in order to alter the entry criteria / prize money to ensure the richest clubs remain rich*

Whatever the outcome, if it does not continue to be based notionally on qualification, the top European prize will be devalued even more.

*Should be pointed out that these clubs are not actually rich - most, if not all of them are in deep financial trouble - Barcelona are $1bn in debt. They are a bit like our banks in the financial crisis - deemed too big to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    So i have barely seen any positive comments about this, whats the difference between this and the Atlantic league as there was some support for that? To me they are both the same, money grabbing owners who don't care about the fans.
    The absence of any relegation element. And the threat it poses to the non 20 clubs. That’s the clincher for me and why I’ll never watch it. It’s not sport.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The absence of any relegation element. And the threat it poses to the non 20 clubs. That’s the clincher for me and why I’ll never watch it. It’s not sport.
    so its still rips the main income source out of scottish football and basically kills the premier league but because the clubs can be relegated from the Atlantic league its ok?