hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ultimately, if managers say they are against it, but manage in it, they aren’t against it.

It remains to be seen what players could do, they can’t just quit like managers can. Quite what clauses and conditions might be in their contracts in relation to breakaway / unsanctioned tournaments is probably something the media will get to in the days ahead...
    What can the players do? If any sizeable amount of players come out and say they are against this, and won’t partake in it. It will stop it dead, what do they have to lose? Can easily go and pick a 60/70k a week pay check up somewhere that doesn’t play in the Super League. Time for the players to grow some balls. These are working class people from working class backgrounds. Time they started acting like it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I find it all a bit hypocritical of UEFA tbh, when they dicked around with the European Cup into it's present format all for money they should have seen it coming. Let them get on with it I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    Did wonder how Klopp would react and have to say he’s been really disappointing. Turning on Gary Neville who has been the best of all on this was embarrassing. Was impressed with Milner though.
    Gary Neville's comments calling it criminal and a joke were equally as embarrassing, this was always on the cards. I didn't see them complaining when he was playing in the champions league when the majority of clubs in the competition weren't champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    I find it all a bit hypocritical of UEFA tbh, when they dicked around with the European Cup into it's present format all for money they should have seen it coming. Let them get on with it I say.
    The "Champions League" is a farce. Four clubs from the top leagues go straight in. Basically a closed shop as it is. Soon as you had two teams from the same country contesting the final it became silly. Lost interest in it a long time ago. UEFA have created the monster so hell mend them.
    Last edited by Since452; 20-04-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The "Champions League" is a farce. Four clubs from the top leagues go straight in. Basically a closed shop as it is. Soon as you had two teams from the same country contesting the final it became silly. Lost interest in it a long time ago. UEFA have created the monster so hell mend them.
    I can't remember anyone complaining either.

@hibs.net private member
    The people saying it's a closed shop anyway in the Champions League just aren't getting it. Yeah the Champions League has too many clubs from the same country, but you have had different clubs at times (Atalanta, Leicester, Real Sociedad etc) over the past few years. That chance is being taking away from them.

And the EPL is finished if they allow the six to stay. Look at this season for example, Chelsea and Liverpool fighting to get into the top 4. In future seasons, there's no reason for them to give a damn as soon as they know they won't win the league. Cue 12-15 meaningless games every season for the "big 6" clubs that can't win the EPL because they know they're guaranteed their spot in this despicable tournament. And if they do finish 1st-6th, then are we saying 7th-10th placed sides get into the new Champions League?

If the EPL, Serie A and La Liga had any self respect or backbone, they'd do everything to get rid of these 12 disgusting franchises. I suspect though, they'll roll over and let them get away with this.

I've never been so thankful of Scottish Football being like it is over the past two seasons. Firstly, that we can't afford VAR which is ruining the English game anyway. And now we don't have to put up with things like this.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I can't remember anyone complaining either.
    loads of supporters weren’t happy back in 1998 when they started to allow non-champions in

other supporters of smaller teams of course were delighted that they might now have a real chance of qualifying and competing against the the big names for the first time ever, can’t really blame people for that, and it’s that hope that will be snuffed out by this farce of a super league
    Last edited by Pagan Hibernia; 20-04-2021 at 06:27 AM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    loads of supporters weren’t happy back in 1998 when they started to allow non-champions in
    Correct. I've hated the CL since it began to be honest. Was all because the supposed bigger clubs were often put out by clubs they felt were beneath them meaning they didn't make enough money. I cannot stand these clubs and have said so many times. Barcelona, Madrid, Manchester, Liverpool all trying to be the biggest team globally. Trying to prove how big they are by the number of Facebook followers or how much money their worth. **** them all. Spurs are a total joke. Not been champions for 60 years, elite?

Gary Neville's comments calling it criminal and a joke were equally as embarrassing, this was always on the cards. I didn't see them complaining when he was playing in the champions league when the majority of clubs in the competition weren't champions.
    That's because champions league is a marketing name, nothing to do with being champions. Would you actually prefer to watch the Latvian champions lose 8-0 to Barcelona than say, Atletico vs Inter Milan?

If you think the champions league, that everyone can qualify for, is the same as a closed shop super league, you are way off the mark.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    That's because champions league is a marketing name, nothing to do with being champions. Would you actually prefer to watch the Latvian champions lose 8-0 to Barcelona than say, Atletico vs Inter Milan?

If you think the champions league, that everyone can qualify for, is the same as a closed shop super league, you are way off the mark.
    Well it came from the European cup - the point was that it was the Champions of each country.

That was changed to get more of the bigger teams in it and to keep them in it each year.

Do you realise you are making the same point as the Super League guys that you would rather see the so called bigger teams playing against each other more often that actually open it up to teams getting in there on merit?

Ultimately, if managers say they are against it, but manage in it, they aren’t against it.

It remains to be seen what players could do, they can’t just quit like managers can. Quite what clauses and conditions might be in their contracts in relation to breakaway / unsanctioned tournaments is probably something the media will get to in the days ahead...
    Players will be able to get out of their contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

It's called the romance of the cup - exactly what's missing in the current Champions League setup.

The original CL format was fine in that, as with the European Cup, all the national champions went unseeded into the hat and they had to slug it out to get to the latter stages. Now it's all about the mega clubs looking after themselves.

It no longer interests me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Well it came from the European cup - the point was that it was the Champions of each country.

That was changed to get more of the bigger teams in it and to keep them in it each year.

Do you realise you are making the same point as the Super League guys that you would rather see the so called bigger teams playing against each other more often that actually open it up to teams getting in there on merit?
    No, I'm not. I want to see 4 teams from the best leagues in it, not 1 and then a bunch of Eastern European sides who get trounced. It wouldn't be good. Its fine as it is, gives the genuine chance of a west ham or Leicester to get in.

It would be even more imbalanced if it was only league winners and it would only have 5/6 decent sides from 24 or 32. Look at what happens to Celtic vs a decent side like psg or barca. They lose 5 or 6.

No, I'm not. I want to see 4 teams from the best leagues in it, not 1 and then a bunch of Eastern European sides who get trounced. It wouldn't be good. Its fine as it is, gives the genuine chance of a west ham or Leicester to get in.

It would be even more imbalanced if it was only league winners and it would only have 5/6 decent sides from 24 or 32. Look at what happens to Celtic vs a decent side like psg or barca. They lose 5 or 6.

That's like saying there should be qualifying rounds for the Scottish Cup - and the PL sides get a bye into the last 16.

The point of football, sport, (life?) is that the little guy gets a shot against the big guy - and you know what, sometimes they win.

The Latvian champions might get beaten 8 - 0 by Barcelona - but that guy will have achieved playing against Messi - and that is great. It doesn't matter if it doesn't make a good tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    That's like saying there should be qualifying rounds for the Scottish Cup - and the PL sides get a bye into the last 16.

The point of football, sport, (life?) is that the little guy gets a shot against the big guy - and you know what, sometimes they win.

The Latvian champions might get beaten 8 - 0 by Barcelona - but that guy will have achieved playing against Messi - and that is great. It doesn't matter if it doesn't make a good tv show.
    No, its not. The scottish cup is and always has been open to all. The european cup isnt. Its the premier european competition and should have the best sides in it.

The little guy does get a shot. They don't qualify because they lose to other little guys.

Its a nostalgia thing for many who saw the European cup with only champions. It wasn't better.

No, its not. The scottish cup is and always has been open to all. The european cup isnt. Its the premier european competition and should have the best sides in it.

The little guy does get a shot. They don't qualify because they lose to other little guys.

Its a nostalgia thing for many who saw the European cup with only champions. It wasn't better.
    That's your opinion.

In mine it was infinitely better then than now.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    That's your opinion.

In mine it was infinitely better then than now.
    In what way?

And that's why when Scottish teams do qualify for Europe, they end up playing the 4th best team from Estonia or Finland - all the glamour is taken away. Why not have a chance of getting drawn against a 4th best team from Italy or Spain?

In what way?
    As I posted before, it's the romance of the cup. I prefer everyone, unseeded, in the hat from the start. That way the (relative) minnows might get a draw against the big guns. There would also be shocks, where a plucky wee team takes a prime scalp over 2 legs. It also means that the mega clubs aren't guaranteed their additional millions every season.

I've seen loads of comments on here and elsewhere that a lot of people, like me, have lost interest in the CL.

I honestly believe that football has to get back to basic to get the majority of fans back onside.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    The people saying it's a closed shop anyway in the Champions League just aren't getting it. Yeah the Champions League has too many clubs from the same country, but you have had different clubs at times (Atalanta, Leicester, Real Sociedad etc) over the past few years. That chance is being taking away from them.

And the EPL is finished if they allow the six to stay. Look at this season for example, Chelsea and Liverpool fighting to get into the top 4. In future seasons, there's no reason for them to give a damn as soon as they know they won't win the league. Cue 12-15 meaningless games every season for the "big 6" clubs that can't win the EPL because they know they're guaranteed their spot in this despicable tournament. And if they do finish 1st-6th, then are we saying 7th-10th placed sides get into the new Champions League?

If the EPL, Serie A and La Liga had any self respect or backbone, they'd do everything to get rid of these 12 disgusting franchises. I suspect though, they'll roll over and let them get away with this.

I've never been so thankful of Scottish Football being like it is over the past two seasons. Firstly, that we can't afford VAR which is ruining the English game anyway. And now we don't have to put up with things like this.
    yet.

Let them go away to play in their super league leaving their respective domestic leagues and let the fans decide if they want to subscribe to channels that show the games.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

Top flight teams do get a bye on the Scottish Cup, we come in at round 3 or 4.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    Let them go away to play in their super league leaving their respective domestic leagues and let the fans decide if they want to subscribe to channels that show the games.
    The thing is they won't care if the genuine fans watch or not. As Gary Neville said if Man Utd sold the TV rights to anyone around the world at £2 a game they'd be making hundreds of millions every single game due to the amount of fans they have round the world.

The genuine fans from Manchester and surrounding areas are a tiny proportion of their worldwide fanbase so they are happy to basically cut them adrift for people in Beijing,Toyko and Texas who have never and will never set foot in Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    What can the players do? If any sizeable amount of players come out and say they are against this, and won’t partake in it. It will stop it dead, what do they have to lose? Can easily go and pick a 60/70k a week pay check up somewhere that doesn’t play in the Super League. Time for the players to grow some balls. These are working class people from working class backgrounds. Time they started acting like it.
    If they’re under contract, it’s not like they can just up and leave. They can say that don’t like the idea, absolutely, but that’s about it. Can fit players just refuse to be picked without the club being able to do anything about it? I guess that’s also an option.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Top flight teams do get a bye on the Scottish Cup, we come in at round 3 or 4.
    True, but again I preferred it when all the SFL clubs came in at round 3. The earlier rounds were effectively qualifiers for the regional and amateur leagues.

If they’re under contract, it’s not like they can just up and leave. They can say that don’t like the idea, absolutely, but that’s about it. Can fit players just refuse to be picked without the club being able to do anything about it? I guess that’s also an option.
    By breaking Uefa rules and making them ineligible for international football, the clubs are breaking the contracts. Players would be entitled to leave under those circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youbdo realise that two of those eatern European teams have won the trophy more times than Spurs, Man City,Arsenal? Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade. Why not make it a proper elite league and just invite past winners? You know the teams who were the elite, actually won their league and then went on to become the best in Europe? It has fyck all to do with sporting excellence and all about greedy *******s making more money after racking up billions of debt. I hope they go tips up, the owners lose billions and then the fans can get their clubs back.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    As I posted before, it's the romance of the cup. I prefer everyone, unseeded, in the hat from the start. That way the (relative) minnows might get a draw against the big guns. There would also be shocks, where a plucky wee team takes a prime scalp over 2 legs. It also means that the mega clubs aren't guaranteed their additional millions every season.

I've seen loads of comments on here and elsewhere that a lot of people, like me, have lost interest in the CL.

I honestly believe that football has to get back to basic to get the majority of fans back onside.
    I'm with you...European cup, cup winners cup, fairs cup. Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Youbdo realise that two of those eatern European teams have won the trophy more times than Spurs, Man City,Arsenal? Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade. Why not make it a proper elite league and just invite past winners? You know the teams who were the elite, actually won their league and then went on to become the best in Europe? It has fyck all to do with sporting excellence and all about greedy *******s making more money after racking up billions of debt. I hope they go tips up, the owners lose billions and then the fans can get their clubs back.
    I do, yes. 30+ years ago. Liverpool have won it twice in the last 15 years without qualifying through being league winners. Surely that is an example of it offering a chance to an underdog and not just league winners?

These sides don't even do well in the Europa league never mind the champions league.

I do, yes. 30+ years ago. Liverpool have won it twice in the last 15 years without qualifying through being league winners. Surely that is an example of it offering a chance to an underdog and not just league winners?

These sides don't even do well in the Europa league never mind the champions league.
    So bin them, don't let them compete? I see. Why not just have Barcelona v Man City 20 times a season then? It is all about greed, they don't give a **** about the "product". I have seen games with Hibs that were as enjoyable as some with these so called elite teams.