hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think the message of the last 24 hours, is be aware of American owners. I’m still scratching my head why Ron Gordon would buy us for football reasons, and nothing has changed this since he bought Hibs

I still wonder why Sir Tom sold to him, it’s not as if he was needing the money
    Do you think Hibs, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen and Dunfermilne with their German investors may be planning something?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Not for me. Had the chance to confirm he’s completely against it yet keeps saying he needs to see the details first. Has a go at the fans for having a go at the club, has a go at Leeds about standing up to it. I’d wager a decent sized bet that Klopp would be in charge of Liverpool for the first game if it goes ahead.
    Did you actually listen to what Klopp said. Before the interview with him, Sky read out a statement from 2019 where Klopp stated he was against any European Super League. The interviewer then asked him if his views had changed and he said no, I`m still against it.

I suggest you listen to it again

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Don't agree with that at all. Ron Gordon has been good for Hibs and by all accounts seems to genuinely care for the club and it's community from those that have met him.

Just because he is American (well Peruvian actually) let's not all start looking at him as some kind of threat to the club.
    STF sold to Ron Gordon because he believed him to be genuine sincere and a safe pair of hands

I don’t think we have anything to worry about

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    STF sold to Ron Gordon because he believed him to be genuine sincere and a safe pair of hands

I don’t think we have anything to worry about
    Didn’t he speak out against relegation quite early on in his ownership ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Dunno but Hecky was in charge when he arrived

He now says our #1 priority is qualifying for Europe

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    What a mess this all is, and will be.

I didn’t think anything could top last summer and hearts valiant fight against injustice for entertainment value but this summer will be fun.

im going to stock up on the popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Did he?

Ron’s seemed completely fine since he’s came in, taken a good interest in the roots of the club and community activity, nothing at all to suggest he’s going to be any sort of problem so far.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    Did he?

Ron’s seemed completely fine since he’s came in, taken a good interest in the roots of the club and community activity, nothing at all to suggest he’s going to be any sort of problem so far.
    The only grievance raised on this thread against Ron so far that I’m aware of actually being true (and there is plenty I don’t know about him) is he’s American. Which is obviously a pathetic argument.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    The only grievance raised on this thread against Ron so far that I’m aware of actually being true (and there is plenty I don’t know about him) is he’s American. Which is obviously a pathetic argument.
    Exactly the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    RG has been open about why he bought us from day 1.

He used his own cash and didn’t put us in any debt at all.

Looking for problems that simply don’t exist. RG is doing fine by us and I have absolute faith he will continue to do so.
    I agree. We need to stop thinking of RG as a Romanov style owner who has walked into the club and wants to pour millions in to win us the league, CL etc etc.

He's ambitious and he wants to take the club to successful new levels but he made it clear from day 1 that this was going to be a gradual process, starting with helping the club be solid financially as a base to work off.

I like his style tbh. Look what Romanov did with Hearts for example, came in promising them the world, they had a relative bit of success but then it all came mightily crashing down on them and they were a bawhair away from losing the club altogether. RG seems like a sensible guy and not a Romanov like heid case and I have faith that STF sold to a man that would look after the club.

Back to the original topic - the Super League is sheer and utter greed and once again people at the top happy to **** on true fans for money. Shameful and its this shameless level of greed that is absolutely ripping the heart out of football. Clubs absolutely selling their soul. As someone mentioned in a comment above, the true fans might walk away because you're always going to pack out the stadiums with tourists etc. But is that really what they want?! Stadiums packed with tourists, watching the game behind their camera phones instead of a stadium of passionate, true supporters. Corporate cold if you ask me.

RG has been a good owner so far. No complaints from me. He certainly seems to care more about on field success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    Did you actually listen to what Klopp said. Before the interview with him, Sky read out a statement from 2019 where Klopp stated he was against any European Super League. The interviewer then asked him if his views had changed and he said no, I`m still against it.

I suggest you listen to it again
    He said he hasn’t seen all the details and only got told about it yesterday. He said he wants to see all the details and anyone having a go at his club should basically do one. Manages to turn it into an argument against UEFA, FIFA, Leeds, Neville. All he had to do was say ‘no I will not be taking part in such a league and have made that clear to the board of directors’ - he’s banging on about qualifying for the champions league when his club have already withdrawn from it 😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think the message of the last 24 hours, is be aware of American owners. I’m still scratching my head why Ron Gordon would buy us for football reasons, and nothing has changed this since he bought Hibs

I still wonder why Sir Tom sold to him, it’s not as if he was needing the money
    Yeah I still haven’t heard a coherent reason for him buying Hibs. I don’t buy the “I have Scottish heritage and fancied buying a club” stuff.

I like Ron and he’s done well so far but a lower level version of this super league stuff would provide a concrete reason for getting involved with Hibs. It explains the increased American investment in football clubs generally, not just Hibs.

Coaching Staff
    He’s not even American.

Agreed. Tarring all with same star spangled brush. I’ve neither seen or heard anything from RG since he took over that suggests anything sinister is afoot. Quite the opposite in fact.

It’s not even an NFL style model that they are proposing. Yes, there’s no relegation, but that’s where the similarities end really.

The NFL has tightly controlled budget / wage caps. Fixture lists are weighted depending on success, with the lowest performing teams also getting first pick of the draft talent the next year. The whole thing is setup to prevent any one team from dominating, with a fair chance that even the worst performing teams will eventually pick up enough quality draft picks to bounce back.

The ESL just seems to be a free for all for the 12 to continue spending without restraint. Their squads will get bigger and more highly paid, transfer fees will inevitably rise and so on. Even with the sort of revenue they seem to be imagining they’ll get, the sums still don’t seem to add up. Most of these clubs are already saddled with vast debts. I’m sure there will be the possibility for the likes of the Glazers to rip out more cash for themselves, but feels like the house of cards would still collapse, almost certainly if global interest falls short of expectations.

I’m actually surprised there isn’t some sort of budget / wage cap involved, unless there is and they haven’t announced it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    He’s not even American.
    Aye, although he’s being lumped in as one of them. And that seems to be the latest concern from some on here questioning his motives for buying us. Mental.

@hibs.net private member
    Surprised UEFA haven’t threatened it yet but I would imagine there will be a ban on Super league teams sending out players on loan to the domestic leagues, and that Barca and Madrid will loose there B teams. Could be a very good thing.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Wouldn’t be surprised if this is why Ron bought Hibs. Maybe he sees an Atlantic league as an inevitability if he heard this was in the pipeline and wanted in. Looks like these models generate money for owners in the US and he does have a background in broadcasting. Seems to make sense and answers a few questions about why he bought us in the first place.
    These models only generate money where there’s demand. There’s a clear and obvious demand, there’s no doubt that people across the world would pay to watch the big teams. The Atlantic League idea is **** because nobody would care enough to watch it. Where’s the commercial interest? Hibs are a nothing team to almost everyone outside Scotland. Filling up a league with teams that nobody cares about isn’t a good financial plan.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    These models only generate money where there’s demand. There’s a clear and obvious demand, there’s no doubt that people across the world would pay to watch the big teams. The Atlantic League idea is **** because nobody would care enough to watch it. Where’s the commercial interest? Hibs are a nothing team to almost everyone outside Scotland. Filling up a league with teams that nobody cares about isn’t a good financial plan.
    And even then it’ll have a shelf life where folk lose interest rapidly. It’ll start off huge, but once reality sets in it’ll be no bigger than the current competitions.

What an absolute tonic the Derry City documentary on BBC2 has been.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    It’s not even an NFL style model that they are proposing. Yes, there’s no relegation, but that’s where the similarities end really.

The NFL has tightly controlled budget / wage caps. Fixture lists are weighted depending on success, with the lowest performing teams also getting first pick of the draft talent the next year. The whole thing is setup to prevent any one team from dominating, with a fair chance that even the worst performing teams will eventually pick up enough quality draft picks to bounce back.

The ESL just seems to be a free for all for the 12 to continue spending without restraint. Their squads will get bigger and more highly paid, transfer fees will inevitably rise and so on. Even with the sort of revenue they seem to be imagining they’ll get, the sums still don’t seem to add up. Most of these clubs are already saddled with vast debts. I’m sure there will be the possibility for the likes of the Glazers to rip out more cash for themselves, but feels like the house of cards would still collapse, almost certainly if global interest falls short of expectations.

I’m actually surprised there isn’t some sort of budget / wage cap involved, unless there is and they haven’t announced it yet.
    That's one of the biggest concerns for me, the squad sizes. These teams already have big squads and if they get their wish of remaining in all the domestic competitions they'll need even bigger squads. The additional £300m they'll each get every year will mean they'll be able to afford even bigger squads and will therefore be weakening all the other teams. I'd like to see a cap on squad sizes too.

Judean peoples front -

Alright, bag of otters noses then. While I watch this thread unfold.
    Im having otter nipple chips - if you get them while their hot they are lovely.

SPLITTERS

Hibs are a nothing team to almost everyone outside Scotland.
    Oi! Just because it's true doesn't make it okay to say it!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    And even then it’ll have a shelf life where folk lose interest rapidly. It’ll start off huge, but once reality sets in it’ll be no bigger than the current competitions.
    The people in the countries concerned would watch it. The Atlantic league has some merit in allowing small countries to create big enough leagues with team of similar size. In the SPFL just now we have to accommodate 2 premiership size teams, 3 Championship size clubs, a couple of league 1-2 size clubs and the rest, non leagues size clubs all within the one top division.
    One thing is clear though, it’s only going to happen if you take the governing associations with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    He’s not even American.
    👍 all the more ridiculous then.

I noticed that reading someone who else’s post afterwards. Decided my point pretty much stood the same though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The people in the countries concerned would watch it. The Atlantic league has some merit in allowing small countries to create big enough leagues with team of similar size. In the SPFL just now we have to accommodate 2 premiership size teams, 3 Championship size clubs, a couple of league 1-2 size clubs and the rest, non leagues size clubs all within the one top division.
    One thing is clear though, it’s only going to happen if you take the governing associations with you.

They would watch it to begin with. When teams are struggling though absolutely no one is turning up to watch it or tuning in and watching it. It would need massively refreshed often.

Have to say, now I’ve seen Klopp, feels like he shat out of saying the right thing to be honest.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post

Bang on. I don't like the American system and don't want to see it in football but this is actually worse for all the reasons you've mentioned. They have some pretty strict measures in the US that stop any one team dominating, and those have been pretty successful except for the Patriots recently (and that's only because of Tommy Brady).