hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz

European super league

Absolute joke of a league that will ruin football. Should the big 6 premier league clubs be punished for joining this league?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Bring it on, hope Rangers and Celtic get to join and the rest of us can get on with our lives. The Champions League doesn't interest me in the slightest so I can't see me taking any interest in a super league.

Thing that annoys me about sky breaking the news etc asking Keane and Richards the questions on their views.

If this did go ahead these idiots would be paying through the nose for the coverage since they’ve lost the champions league.

I can’t help but find it rather amusing not for the fans of course. But sky and their daft money they pumped into England have played a massive part in the downfall off football imo.

It’s a MK dons Wimbledon scenario.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thing that annoys me about sky breaking the news etc asking Keane and Richards the questions on their views.

If this did go ahead these idiots would be paying through the nose for the coverage since they’ve lost the champions league.

I can’t help but find it rather amusing not for the fans of course. But sky and their daft money they pumped into England have played a massive part in the downfall off football imo.
    I agree. ****ing hate sky tbh.

Is this a breakaway thread?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Is this a breakaway thread?
    People's Front of Judea

I wonder if the supporters groups speaking out about this will have the courage of their convictions and stop attending games. I daresay the teams involved could sell out their stadiums to tourists every week and the TV deal would make fans from Manchester, Turin or London surplus to requirements. It might just focus a few minds though.

I remember a few years ago the Man Utd fans had a pretty sustained period of boycotting official merchandise and wearing green and gold rather than red to games in protest at the Glazers ownership. It seemed to die away quite quickly after on field performance picked up though. A Champions League win will do that.

My gut instinct is a lot of fans would start out with the best of intentions but would gradually drift back and support their club in whatever format they played in. Largely because I think they would realise the clubs don't need them and will plough ahead regardless, is a Man City fan who has become accustomed to sustained success in recent years going to start watching a fan led start up in the National League?

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    People's Front of Judea
    Alright, bag of otters noses then. While I watch this thread unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

You’re not wrong - but unfortunately it’s sky that have the best guys and platform to speak out about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I wonder if the supporters groups speaking out about this will have the courage of their convictions and stop attending games. I daresay the teams involved could sell out their stadiums to tourists every week and the TV deal would make fans from Manchester, Turin or London surplus to requirements. It might just focus a few minds though.

I remember a few years ago the Man Utd fans had a pretty sustained period of boycotting official merchandise and wearing green and gold rather than red to games in protest at the Glazers ownership. It seemed to die away quite quickly after on field performance picked up though. A Champions League win will do that.

My gut instinct is a lot of fans would start out with the best of intentions but would gradually drift back and support their club in whatever format they played in. Largely because I think they would realise the clubs don't need them and will plough ahead regardless, is a Man City fan who has become accustomed to sustained success in recent years going to start watching a fan led start up in the National League?
    Fans will swallow any old nonsense the clubs tell them. First week of games in a new comp would be played in front of sold out stadiums. A massive marketing campaign will convince the fans that this is exactly what they’ve always wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the breakaway 15 is now a breakaway 12 (no PSG, Bayern, Dortmund). What I don't get is why England get 6 teams and Italy and Spain only get 3 each.

@hibs.net private member
    When are we joining it?

North London Derby to find out who finishes 12th every year. I'm sure the fans will love it.

Left by mutual consent!
    They can all F off as far as I’m concerned.

First Team Breakthrough
    boy on sky saying all founding clubs to get 3.5 billion euros to see them allright.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Just read the format there. It sounds ***** to be honest. Two groups of 10 in a league format. Every other team playing off for the chance to be one of five teams that get to join the mighty 15 (which somehow includes Tottenham) in their competition. Let them off if that's what they want to do - but suspend them from domestic and European competition effective immediately.

Leicester for the premier league again?!

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by cannastar View Post
    boy on sky saying all founding clubs to get 3.5 billion euros to see them allright.
    *In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Just read the format there. It sounds ***** to be honest. Two groups of 10 in a league format. Every other team playing off for the chance to be one of five teams that get to join the mighty 15 (which somehow includes Tottenham) in their competition. Let them off if that's what they want to do - but suspend them from domestic and European competition effective immediately.

Leicester for the premier league again?!
    The founder clubs seem to be made up of the richest clubs in the world, Spurs recently listed in the top 10 I believe, the rich trying to get richer it seems.

So assuming this replaces the champions league given its a midweek competition that would mean in reality no Scottish club could qualify or realistically be invited to play in the elite European competition.

The press release suggests two groups ten and play home and away so that’s a minimum 18 games versus minimum 6 if in CL group stage. A run to the final would result in 22 games in new format versus 12 in current CL. For a club like say Chelsea who have fairly regularly got to quarter finals that’s an additional 10 midweek games.

That would either mean much bigger squads and would certainly put the final nail in domestic cup competitions. As a minimum it would dilute the domestic league, I mean who cares if you win the title when you get min £350m for playing in super euro league.

Arsenal and Spurs are not even in the CL just now. Spurs have won about 1 trophy in 30 years. Liverpool are meant to be a club for the people. It’s a total disgrace.

Glad to see Bayern, Dortmund and PSG not agreeing to join. German fans have much more influence.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    The founder clubs seem to be made up of the richest clubs in the world, Spurs recently listed in the top 10 I believe, the rich trying to get richer it seems.
    With an immediate 3.5billion euros each

Mental

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    This European Cup malarkey has gone down hill since real clubs got to the likes of the semi finals

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    With an immediate 3.5billion euros each

Mental

Surely it would be 3.5bn split between the clubs rather than 3.5bn each?

Would the PL actually ban the six sides from competing in the league though? Surely that would probably wipe out a huge amount of their global audience and sponsors?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Surely it would be 3.5bn split between the clubs rather than 3.5bn each?
    *In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.

Could be taken both ways I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    So assuming this replaces the champions league given its a midweek competition that would mean in reality no Scottish club could qualify or realistically be invited to play in the elite European competition.

The press release suggests two groups ten and play home and away so that’s a minimum 18 games versus minimum 6 if in CL group stage. A run to the final would result in 22 games in new format versus 12 in current CL. For a club like say Chelsea who have fairly regularly got to quarter finals that’s an additional 10 midweek games.

That would either mean much bigger squads and would certainly put the final nail in domestic cup competitions. As a minimum it would dilute the domestic league, I mean who cares if you win the title when you get min £350m for playing in super euro league.

Arsenal and Spurs are not even in the CL just now. Spurs have won about 1 trophy in 30 years. Liverpool are meant to be a club for the people. It’s a total disgrace.

Glad to see Bayern, Dortmund and PSG not agreeing to join. German fans have much more influence.
    PSG are only not there because Qatar are worried about their World Cup.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Would the PL actually ban the six sides from competing in the league though? Surely that would probably wipe out a huge amount of their global audience and sponsors?
    They have said they will, as have La Liga and Serie A in a joint statement.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

If uefa suspend them, then the EPL would have no choice surely? Besides, the EPL will be finished if this gets a foothold. They need to back the current structure.