hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not for the first time the club have let the fans down, this goes completely against what Liverpool football club is supposed to be about. Would I ever be able to walk away, probably not.
    A really honest response that and the crux of the matter may be that if Liverpool supporters ( and the other teams) can only watch their team in this new league ( assuming other competitions are closed to them), people are still likely to go to the game. The medium and long term scenario is probably a power struggle between 2 rival set ups. Sustainable in the long term? Who knows

2. Log in to remove the advert

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-statement-47628

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

I find myself agreeing with both Boris Johnson and Neil Doncaster in the same day - something is clearly badly wrong!

First Team Regular
    A nice idea by Grimsby Town (from The Guardian):

“Grimsby have responded to the proposed launch of the super league by offering fans of the English clubs involved the chance to trade in their shirt for a Mariners one. The ‘shirt amnesty’ is open to holders of any Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham or Chelsea shirts that are less than three seasons old. In return the club are offering a replica 2020-21 Grimsby shirt, with the unwanted Premier League kits to be donated to local youth groups and humanitarian projects in Africa.
    “In light of recent events surrounding the introduction of the European Super League, Grimsby Town Football Club will be running a shirt amnesty for those who hold shirts for the English clubs involved,” a statement on the club website read. “Without fans, football and Grimsby Town Football Club are nothing. “We would like to thank you for the fantastic support you have provided us this season and we cannot wait to welcome you back to Blundell Park as soon as possible.”

Quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    How do you think this is going to end!
    Horribly. Whatever happens now, nobody can afford to back down. This is a fight to the death. If the 12 clubs back down, they will be powerless within uefa and if uefa backs down then it’s finished.
    I have believed for a while now that this is inevitable but always felt it would happen season by season as uefa gradually gave the clubs what they wanted. And that appeared to be the way it was going. Obviously not fast enough for some and they have went the nuclear option. I personally think this is a mistake but I’ve no clue how it turns out.
    I have no faith that fans of these clubs really will turn their back on them. But the people running these clubs will need balls of steel to follow through with it now in the face of expulsion from their domestic leagues and uefa tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    Has rangers, celtic and hearts invite gone out yet? Surely they are bigger than porto etc?
    The Rangers and Celtic will be licking their lips at all this European League stuff. It's exactly the kind of disruptive event that can get them out of Scotland and into the land of milk and honey. If a power struggle ensues between UEFA and the 12, all it would take is for the 12 to start "inviting" the likes of Celtic and The Rangers to join them - perhaps to set up a 2nd division, with protect of promotion to play the 12 at some point.

Can you ever imagine Celtic or The Rangers turning down such an invite ? No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    The Rangers and Celtic will be licking their lips at all this European League stuff. It's exactly the kind of disruptive event that can get them out of Scotland and into the land of milk and honey. If a power struggle ensues between UEFA and the 12, all it would take is for the 12 to start "inviting" the likes of Celtic and The Rangers to join them - perhaps to set up a 2nd division, with protect of promotion to play the 12 at some point.

Can you ever imagine Celtic or The Rangers turning down such an invite ? No chance.
    I think this is going to result in massive disruption all over the place and in places we don’t expect. I don’t buy into the talk that none of this effect Hibs.
    Hopefully we are smart enough to be pro active when the time comes rather than just letting change happen to us.

First Team Regular

And I'm assuming that Hearts must already be one of the 12 super-clubs?

Horribly. Whatever happens now, nobody can afford to back down. This is a fight to the death. If the 12 clubs back down, they will be powerless within uefa and if uefa backs down then it’s finished.
    I have believed for a while now that this is inevitable but always felt it would happen season by season as uefa gradually gave the clubs what they wanted. And that appeared to be the way it was going. Obviously not fast enough for some and they have went the nuclear option. I personally think this is a mistake but I’ve no clue how it turns out.
    I have no faith that fans of these clubs really will turn their back on them. But the people running these clubs will need balls of steel to follow through with it now in the face of expulsion from their domestic leagues and uefa tournaments.

The issue for the 12 is - while they may be the richest clubs in Europe - they are not necessarily the best on the field or able to guarantee themselves CL places/success which is where the competition money is. And financial fair play rules restrict their ability to generate cash. That all disappears with the proposed new set up.

I was thinking similar. Celtic and Rangers fans are the exact type of fan who would back this too - they support greedy bullys. Plus you just know that the SFA/SPFL would roll over and let them continue to field a reserve team in our top division. Whilst the initial proposal seems a ridiculous non-starter if UEFA/domestic FA’s leave any room for manoeuvre then the consequences will be dire. They need to be told firmly to **** off snd all 12 should be hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    And I'm assuming that Hearts must already be one of the 12 super-clubs?
    Nope. Only if Brora Rangers decline their invitation first.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Grimsby are giving you a free shirt if you donate any of the 6 English teams shirts to charity.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    I was thinking similar. Celtic and Rangers fans are the exact type of fan who would back this too - they support greedy bullys. Plus you just know that the SFA/SPFL would roll over and let them continue to field a reserve team in our top division. Whilst the initial proposal seems a ridiculous non-starter if UEFA/domestic FA’s leave any room for manoeuvre then the consequences will be dire. They need to be told firmly to **** off snd all 12 should be hammered.
    Not if UEFA/FIFA have anything to do with it. The SFA?SPFL will be told exactly what to do with any applications from Celtic/Sevco.

I like the idea of the UK/Spanish/Italian governments introducing a hefty Super Tax on these European League clubs, with the proceeds used to bolster National competition/leagues and grass roots football. The game is far too important for it to be hijacked by a handful of greedy owners who have little to no interest in the game itself.

Imagine if this pushed people to support their local teams instead. Could be a revolution for grass roots.

I wouldn't be too bothered if they left but only if they left Scottish football completely. I don't want them also entering our leagues or cups, even if they were fielding weakened teams. It wouldn't be long before they'd use the Super League millions they'd be gifted to hoover up all the decent players from the others Scottish teams and have supersized squads to be able to play in all the competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I wouldn't be too bothered if they left but only if they left Scottish football completely. I don't want them also entering our leagues or cups, even if they were fielding weakened teams. It wouldn't be long before they'd use the Super League millions they'd be gifted to hoover up all the decent players from the others Scottish teams and have supersized squads to be able to play in all the competitions.
    Hibs can’t afford them to leave without us having to head to another league as well.

Is Barcelona not fan-owned? How on earth do they plan on selling this to the voting fans that have a stake in the club?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    There is no comparison there at all
    Yeah I am lost as to how that qualified as a response to my post as well.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

Money talks. The 12 will become 18 or 20. They will go it alone. The players will be paid even more and sacrifice their international careers for the Wonga. They will sacrifice domestic football for this. Clubs fans will fall into line and back them as it’s deemed to be the pinnacle of world football at club level and as fans we back our clubs al the time. It’s what we do. UEFA and FIFA will eventually capitulate even if it’s years down the line. Domestic football will welcome them back even if it is their B teams. Money is the factor always has and always will be whatever the level. Even if it means making a new level. Might even be the birth of European league football beneath it. It was only a matter of time. The remaining clubs will eventually demand it.
    Last edited by greenlex; 19-04-2021 at 03:27 PM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    Is Barcelona not fan-owned? How on earth do they plan on selling this to the voting fans that have a stake in the club?

Seems like the Spanish old firm have got the Spanish media on side, unlike England and Italy where reaction seems to be mostly hostile.

As said above, Barca are massively in debt and maybe some fans will be persuaded that this is a necessary move.

Let’s hope not - they have the power to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Not for the first time the club have let the fans down, this goes completely against what Liverpool football club is supposed to be about. Would I ever be able to walk away, probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Money talks. The 12 will become 18 or 20. They will go it alone. The players will be paid even more and sacrifice their international careers for the Wonga. They will sacrifice domestic football for this. Clubs fans will fall into line and back them as it’s deemed to be the pinnacle of world football at club level and as fans we back our clubs al the time. It’s what we do. UEFA and FIFA will eventually capitulate even if it’s years down the line. Domestic football will welcome them back even if it is their B teams. Money is the factor always has and always will be whatever the level. Even if it means making a new level. Might even be the birth of European league football beneath it. It was only a matter of time. The remaining clubs will eventually demand it.
    I don’t think I have ever seen one of these battles where the big clubs and money men don’t win in the end?

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I don’t think I have ever seen one of these battles where the big clubs and money men don’t win in the end?

Aye it’s called greed and it always wins. That and the grass is always greener coupled by fomo.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

mercer vs Hands off Hibs?

after all big clubs don’t come much bigger than hearts

@hibs.net private member

I think you’re more or less spot on with this. Rangers and Celtic would never turn down a place in a 2nd tier ESL. I wonder if this is a contingency and there is more money available. I also think the full plans will include a global set up including North and South America, China, India and Asia. So getting booted from domestic leagues won’t bother them much.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    remember the days when barca wouldn’t even sully their shirt with a sponsor?

what the hell happened that club

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    The issue for the 12 is - while they may be the richest clubs in Europe - they are not necessarily the best on the field or able to guarantee themselves CL places/success which is where the competition money is. And financial fair play rules restrict their ability to generate cash. That all disappears with the proposed new set up.
    Just to be clear - because they generate vast amounts of money, doesn't make them the richest clubs.

Every one of them has huge amounts of debt, not least Barcelona on €1bn.

This is simply about money, paying off debts, and getting another sucker (JP Morgan) to underwrite it.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I would love to see that happen.

The only downside I can see to this from a Hibs point of view is UEFA decided to again restructure the Champions League/ Europa and decide to do away with the Conference League.

There are still going to be some huge clubs in England - Villa, Everton, Leeds, Newcastle just for starters and there’ll be room now at the top table down there for clubs with great traditions like Forest and Sheffield Wednesday etc. As it stands now I’ve no interest in watching the Premiership chugfest and the fawning over the same six teams, it is of no relevance to me and it’s quite frankly boring but I’d be inclined to watch it if it’s freshened up and there are new clubs challenging for the league and FA Cup, as it currently is I couldn’t tell you the last time I sat and watched an English match that wasn’t an early round of the FA Cup featuring an underdog.

As for the ‘Champions’ league. Another farce. Teams who finish 4th in their leagues straight into the money and parachuted into the groups, then other countries champions having to negotiate 3 qualifying rounds, it’s an absolute joke.

There’ll still be big clubs in the Champions League, just off the top of my head England’s lot, the likes of Feyenoord and Ajax, Benfica, Marseille, Roma, Lazio, Valencia. It’ll be a far more level playing field and I’d rather watch those clubs than Chelsea v Barcelona or Juventus v Man City every season.

It’s pure greed, and done purely to suit these African and Asian supporters who’s idea of supporting a team is buying the strip every season and posting rubbish on said clubs social media posts, or the pub bore who sits in boozers in every city up and down Britain ‘supporting’ Chelsea or Liverpool and patronising other punters for following the local team. As much as I genuinely feel for the Man U or Arsenal season ticket holder from Salford or north London who follow their team all over the country every week, their clubs are now soulless franchises and I hope and pray the ESL ends in a complete and utter disaster.
    I agree with most of that, but I disagree with this assumption that foreign based fans will line up obediently behind the new super league concept either. Lots of Asian based or European based fans are super loyal to Liverpool or Man U and get a lot of identity from being a ‘real’ fan in the sense of trying to be as much like a Scouser or a Manc as possible, exactly the opposite as you describe. It might seem weird to us but a Korean Man U fan can be just as passionate as a local fan. Nobody likes a plastic or wants to be a plastic either.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    There is no comparison there at all
    I had misread a tweet and thought that they had literally paid to skip past the NPL divisions and go into conference North.