hibs.net Messageboard

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They would watch it to begin with. When teams are struggling though absolutely no one is turning up to watch it or tuning in and watching it. It would need massively refreshed often.
    People will watch this Euro super league even though nobody wants it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    People will watch this Euro super league even though nobody wants it.

To begin with, it’ll soon become very boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    What an absolute tonic the Derry City documentary on BBC2 has been.
    Aye, what football is all about. A good watch

Most of the EPL is boring but it still sells out stadiums.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm firmly against this but some of stuff coming from commentators, UEFA and fans is hilarious.

This is Micah Richards on the BBC:

"From where Manchester City have come from, from Division Two [what is now League One] all the way to the Premier League and they earned that the right way through hard work, great support and not doing things the easy way and went all the way to winning the Premier League."

This is part of the problem. In what way did Man City earn their success? What they did was literally the easiest possible way. It was money and greed that bought them trophies. But people like him in the game turned a blind eye and keep enjoying the good times. Ditto the FA etc now getting upset when they've allowed all manner of people to own clubs. You reap what you sow.

Coaching Staff
    For perspective though, this is all about replacing the Champions League, which is pretty boring in itself in terms of being very similar teams every year in latter stages.

The new proposals for that aren’t great either.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I'm firmly against this but some of stuff coming from commentators, UEFA and fans is hilarious.

This is Micah Richards on the BBC:

"From where Manchester City have come from, from Division Two [what is now League One] all the way to the Premier League and they earned that the right way through hard work, great support and not doing things the easy way and went all the way to winning the Premier League."

This is part of the problem. In what way did Man City earn their success? What they did was literally the easiest possible way. It was money and greed that bought them trophies. But people like him in the game turned a blind eye and keep enjoying the good times. Ditto the FA etc now getting upset when they've allowed all manner of people to own clubs. You reap what you sow.
    Agree. Funny listening to them.

Klopp has made a total arse of himself tonight.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Standard for him.

It seems to me there will be a lot of meaningless games. The top 3 in each of the 2 leagues of 10 get through to the knockout phase and 4th playoff against 5th to get through. With no relegation then places 6th to 10th are meaningless. Would many tune in to watch teams battling it out for 9th place in the group.

@hibs.net private member
    Yeah lost it about what Neville said although he appears to agree with him.

Also - presumably Leeds put the T-shirt’s in their changing room to let the players show their support, whereas he’s taken it as some kind of insult.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    It seems to me there will be a lot of meaningless games. The top 3 in each of the 2 leagues of 10 get through to the knockout phase and 4th playoff against 5th to get through. With no relegation then places 6th to 10th are meaningless. Would many tune in to watch teams battling it out for 9th place in the group.
    It is a cup competition though regardless of the name. Relegation is irrelevant. You play the games to try and get in the qualifying spots.

And has now said he’s going nowhere. Shocker.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The people in the countries concerned would watch it. The Atlantic league has some merit in allowing small countries to create big enough leagues with team of similar size. In the SPFL just now we have to accommodate 2 premiership size teams, 3 Championship size clubs, a couple of league 1-2 size clubs and the rest, non leagues size clubs all within the one top division.
    One thing is clear though, it’s only going to happen if you take the governing associations with you.

Would people watch it? More people than watch their own clubs games already?

I watch Hibs games from our league, but I’m not particularly interested in watching Dundee Utd v Killie or any the rest of them playing each other. I’ll occasionally watch it, and I’ll check out the highlights, not arsed if I miss them though, and I don’t think I’m in the minority.

What the Atlantic Leagues doing is substituting in teams im not interested in watching from other leagues. Not a shred of appeal to me. At least in our own league I can jump on a train/bus to an away game. Easy to get to the national stadium for a cup final.

@hibs.net private member
    https://twitter.com/SimpsonsSPFL/status/1384054743970971653?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Would people watch it? More people than watch their own clubs games already?

I watch Hibs games from our league, but I’m not particularly interested in watching Dundee Utd v Killie or any the rest of them playing each other. I’ll occasionally watch it, and I’ll check out the highlights, not arsed if I miss them though, and I don’t think I’m in the minority.

What the Atlantic Leagues doing is substituting in teams im not interested in watching from other leagues. Not a shred of appeal to me. At least in our own league I can jump on a train/bus to an away game. Easy to get to the national stadium for a cup final.
    Do you not watch other teams highlights on sportscene? Or goal highlights on Twitter, YouTube etc? I know I do. And that’s what sponsors want. So if suddenly people in Norway, Denmark, Sweden etc all start watching Hibs highlights then that is good for Hibs commercially.

Did wonder how Klopp would react and have to say he’s been really disappointing. Turning on Gary Neville who has been the best of all on this was embarrassing. Was impressed with Milner though.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    Did wonder how Klopp would react and have to say he’s been really disappointing. Turning on Gary Neville who has been the best of all on this was embarrassing. Was impressed with Milner though.
    Indeed. And then his interview later has basically said the owners can do what they want, I don’t agree, but I’ll go with them anyway. I’m just disappointed Shreeves never put it straight to the players/manager ‘if this goes ahead, with your strong disagreement of it, and the resultant destruction it is going to cause to football, would you take part?’

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It is a cup competition though regardless of the name. Relegation is irrelevant. You play the games to try and get in the qualifying spots.
    The point I am making is that because places 6 to 10 don't gain or cost you anything in terms of qualifying for the next stage or relegation from the Super League there will be a lot of meaningless games.

In the Champions League teams have got through on 8 points so it is feasible you could lose your 1st 3 matches but still have a chance to get through so chances are the earliest you can definitely be out of contention is with just 2 matches left and even after that you try to get 3rd so you drop down into the Europa League. In the Super League format they will play 18 games in the group stage. There will be teams at the bottom, miles off 5th place halfway through and probably mathematically too far behind 5th with 5 or 6 games to go. All they'll be trying to do is move up to 8th or 9th to get a bit more prize money. I don’t know about you but I wouldn't be tuning in to watch the likes of Schalke v Arsenal to see which will be 9th and which 10th.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Could see Klopp walking from Liverpool in the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Not sure about that. Just seen him interviewed before the Leeds game and he looked like a guy struggling to be diplomatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Klopp will be the Bayern manager next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    He can't say that without resigning today. I think he will be gone before too long. Maybe to Bayern?
    Gerrard might be getting a wee bit excited at this kind of talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Gerrard might be getting a wee bit excited at this kind of talk.
    Klopp has said tonight he’s going nowhere. His interview on Sky basically backed that up.

He's a f4nny - thinks the world's against them when they get a pish result. Moaning at fans giving them a bit of stick outside the ground tonight. Poor soul. Conveniently silent on the Liverpool fans who smashed Madrid's bus to pieces last week

Left by mutual consent!
    I just find this all depressing. I have a hibs season ticket and go to pretty much every away game and it’s just highlighted how I’m actually just a hibs fan and not a football fan.

The only non-hibs football I watch are international tournaments because they haven’t been destroyed by hypercapitalism.

You get people like Gary Neville whinging about greed and lack of competition when top level football has been a closed shop for decades. Why wasn’t he whinging when it was obvious about 20 years ago that rich clubs would keep getting richer, ruining the sense of competition at the top level. Why do you think Bayern have won the last 9 or 10 titles, Juve are at 9 titles, PSG are about the same, the same 8 clubs pretty much get to the quarter finals of the champions league every year. Even smaller leagues like Holland and Scotland are dominated by the same 2 or 3 clubs.

Liverpool and Man Utd fans and the likes of Neville and Micah ****ing Richards crying about the death of football is a joke. Inequality in football isn’t a new thing and bleating about the illusion of competiveness being taken away by the ESL just shows these people have no idea what’s at the root of the current issues in football.

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    Real Madrid president bleating on about how Madrid have lost €400 million due to covid.How much money to they continually ***** away on transfers and Bales wages?Isnt the Bernabeu going through a massive costly renovation.Disgusting

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector Mudflap View Post
    Im having otter nipple chips - if you get them while their hot they are lovely.

SPLITTERS
    I prefer Wolf's nipple chips. Original and best.

I'm also partial to the occasional jaguar's earlobe.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Klopp too.
    From the clips that I saw he was more passionate when having a few cheap digs at Gary Neville than he was in his comments about not being in favour of the super league - though to be fair he did say that on a few occasions.

The owners have put him in a horrible situation obviously, but it felt to me that he was trying to score some points with the Liverpool support by attacking Neville because he couldn’t say how he truly felt.

Ultimately, if managers say they are against it, but manage in it, they aren’t against it.

It remains to be seen what players could do, they can’t just quit like managers can. Quite what clauses and conditions might be in their contracts in relation to breakaway / unsanctioned tournaments is probably something the media will get to in the days ahead...

Interesting few days/weeks ahead.... takes minds off covid if nothing else!!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Good article from Barney Ronay about it. This hasn't come from nowhere though. The Premier League and Champions League have created this culture of avarice. The proposals are disgraceful, arrogant, ridiculous and ultimately boring in equal measure. Hammer these clubs and get football back to reality (wishful thinking I know.)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/power-grab-in-a-pandemic-european-super-league-absence-of-fans-tv-income
    Last edited by Baader; 19-04-2021 at 11:24 PM.

I don't see the issue

A new Super Dooper moon league is as relevant to me and the Champions league. We have zero chance of ever winning that and as little chance of winning our own domestic league. The whole thing is greed yes but it's no different from our own break away Premier or the EPL who's (the EPL) sole reason for being 30 years ago was to get more money for each of the breakaway teams from the massive TV deal that was available and the rights to control more of their own income.
    Now we have a huge money deal from JP Morgan in the billions and the "new breakaway breakaway" clubs will pocket an even tidier sum. The real reason we see all these organisations coming out complaining about the "Integrity of the game" and the "corporate greed" are the same A-holes that were right behind it the last time when THEY were directly going to benefit from the TV money. None of the Associations are in on this deal and so now they cry foul! It's totally hypocrisy. They say they will ban players from their competitions who take part- I would love to see how that plays out because IMHO that will be a huge court battle that the associations will lose without a doubt.
    The people who will benefit from day one are the players who will be asked to play in this new league so an extra twenty games a season. It's those same prima donna players who will be getting 200-500k a game and then lets see how many of them are against it. They will play and be rewarded and the team owners will be rewarded and the only way this won't happen is if the viewers don't pay to watch it. Going to these games will be even more expensive so corporate boxes and company season tickets will be the bulk of the physical "crowd". Some hard core well to do 'fans" will still turn up carrying their cashmere scarfs and instead of a program they will have copies of the Financial Times so they can shout about their Clubs share price rise!
    The only way I see this not happening is if the people who subscribe to sports tv channels don't ! It's the Sky Sports people who fund the obcenity of the EPL. In Scotland we pay more Sky subscriptions than any other country (by head of population) and yet they give our league the near square root of naff all plus £50 quid two balloons and one stick for the cups rights ! This new league will marketed at the Indian, Asian and American markets where they will be fed a game like the American Superbowl with four quarters and adverts after adverts. Times extended on corners and throw-ins to furnish more adverts. The game as we know it will not be what's offered- maybe at first but it will change. Who really cares ? We all sat back and let Rangers and Celtic control our own domestic league for the money and we have been left with exactly what we deserve. That is- all scrambling for third and a few toffees or the occasional cup when the games don't go to plan. I heard an ex Liverpool player bemoaning it all on the radio this morning saying it's not all about the money but boy is it ever. Someone called in the radio station and said nobody is going to go and it will be stale with no relegation there is nothing to play for . Jeez- does anyone think that it matters? The team franchises don't care about selling away tickets - they care about the home game revenue from the TV deal and it's a bonus if any crackpot comes and pays to watch in the actual ground. The whole of football is stale and it's been caused by Sky and the greed of the associations over the years. How many teams have won the SPL over the last thirty years? How many teams have won the EPl over the last forty? Our own Spl breakaway was talked back into the fold (a bold new partnership) with the SFA only after they agreed TV money- Rangers and Celtics exclusive voting rights and the non redundancy of the directors and back office of the SPL. Why would anyone in Scotland give a flying bum kick for the new Super intergalactic Moon Breakaway breakaway league? Don't watch it - cancel your Sky Sports package - in fact all sky packages and spend the money going to the games or to any local junior team and watch the highlights of Hibs at night. We have an almost zero chance of winning anything while the game is dictated to by Sky. Look at the movie industry since the rise of Netflix. All the same actors and actresses all moaned about the damage and the "end of movies" and now these same people are queuing up to star in the next ten part made for TV Netflix special. (this year Netflix out subscribed Sky)
    As fans of this great club and as fans of all the other league clubs in the country - for us nothing will change. If Celtic and Rangers get in somehow (you never know) they will earn even more and the team that plays on the Saturday at Peterhead in the cup will be their B team and still better than anything we can field. I have read that our league is one of the few where turnstile revenue accounts for more than 50% of the teams turnover so if that is right we still have power to get it all back but the problem is if we do - who's going to play in the league? Only old bit part players or younger ones released by the big clubs? We can't change anything without changing our own league set up first. The Glasgow Two will still generate huge incomes from massive crowds- who ONLY continue to come to watch winning sides. Remove their control and have a more competitive league and we will see a rise in attendance for all other clubs who's own win percentage then starts to rise. I firmly believe it's that simple.
    Last point- Celtics average players salary this year 895,564 - absolute light years away from everyone else including Rangers. Now though the balance will be restored. The massive money Celtic made from their European adventures over the last ten years is obvious. All TV money from the Champions league rights- The Champions League even dictate what other non associated football is on in every country when the CL games are being played!! You could not make it up. Spoon fed by the big teams and the greed of the associations. Where does all that money come from? Us - all of it- if we didn't watch it they would have no product to sell.
    Celtic have spent FOUR times more money on a set of disco lights than we have ever spent on a player.

The game is a bogey but we helped create the bogey it is.