hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Macey

First Team Breakthrough
    There doesn’t seem to be an overall majority on this thread either for or against Matt Macey.
    I haven’t seen anything in his performances so far that unduly worry me.I however tend to agree with the posts which read they would like to see him more against SPFL teams before they make a further judgement.
    IMO we have to get the goalkeeping situation sorted out sooner rather than later.
    If it’s accepted that Marciano is away at the end of the season and we have made an offer to Macey,what is the hold up.
    Its looks like we’ll be in Europe next season so we need to get a keeper fixed up before the start of the campaign.
    Need I remind what happened when we played an untried keeper against Bronby.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There doesn’t seem to be an overall majority on this thread either for or against Matt Macey.
    I haven’t seen anything in his performances so far that unduly worry me.I however tend to agree with the posts which read they would like to see him more against SPFL teams before they make a further judgement.
    IMO we have to get the goalkeeping situation sorted out sooner rather than later.
    If it’s accepted that Marciano is away at the end of the season and we have made an offer to Macey,what is the hold up.
    Its looks like we’ll be in Europe next season so we need to get a keeper fixed up before the start of the campaign.
    Need I remind what happened when we played an untried keeper against Bronby.
    If I could be bothered I'd start an offer Macey a contract (given we need to find 2 keepers) poll. Yes, no, haven't seen enough of him to decide.

I would offer him a contract now get that position sorted. I do think Macey could be a great signing you don't get signed by clubs like Arsenal unless you have something about you. Bogdan had a car crash of a start with us but after a few games some posters rated him better than Rocky. No brainer in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    I would offer him a contract now get that position sorted. I do think Macey could be a great signing you don't get signed by clubs like Arsenal unless you have something about you. Bogdan had a car crash of a start with us but after a few games some posters rated him better than Rocky. No brainer in my opinion.
    Daniel Boateng disagrees

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’m not convinced by him at all. Not sure why but I’m just not.

He’s not done anything of note wrong I just think he doesn’t look the most mobile and there’s been one or two free lve thought his positioning at free kicks has been suspect.

Fine for a back up keeper but he’d be a downgrade on Marciano as first choice IMO.
    I think years of supporting Hibs has just given you goalkeeper PTSD, we'll be fine with Macey.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    He's already been offered one but was turned down.

Hopefully we make him a better one and he signs, he wants to stay.

@hibs.net private member
    From what I’ve seen I’d be happy for Mackey to start next season as No.1.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Would be more than Happy if we extend Macey's stay with us till next season, Give Dabrowski a new contract and sign one other goalie who is first team standard. I have no idea what Bogdans contractual situation is, but it would be fantatsic if we could get him back as no 1

My thoughts on Bogdan exactly,he knows the club ,knows many of the players ,an excellent goalkeeper IMO

European experience too
    Last edited by hhibs; 19-04-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I thought it was an area Bogdan bettered him as well. He was a less assured shot stopper but I enjoyed watching him come out 10-12 yards and pluck a cross out the air.

Tbh I don't mind a keeper not coming for crosses. All the '6 yard box and it's the keepers' stuff is nonsense. Shay Given rarely came for crosses and he was a top keeper, Andy Goram was the same. I do enjoy when it does happen though, if they are confident when doing so it takes so much pressure off.
    That's not the same Andy Goram that I remember when he played with Hibs, later on his career when his knees were finished maybe.

Alan Rough was a outstanding goalkeeper for Hibs, I didn't think when he was at his best we would be able to replace him. I was completely wrong, we signed Goram and he was even better.

Goram not only would come out and catch crosses, he was brilliant at what seems to be a forgotten art for keepers these days, punching the ball. If there was lot of players in the box making it difficult to catch the ball he would plough through anyone in his way and punch it away.

Think a lot of Hibs fans base their idea that Goram wasn't good with crosses on one of his first games for us, the 2 2 draw at St Mirren when he was blamed for both goals. I was at the game but missed I think all the goals, travelled on the Independent East Coast bus that day, those guys had no idea how to get their bus to to a match on time. Christ, they could drink though!

Sure it was the same season that he was so good at Tynecastle against them that they lot were chanting his name, best display I've saw from a goalkeeper.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Really hope we get to see more of Macey, looks a really good keeper.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Haven’t seen enough of him to make a decision
    Loves that he comes and claims crosses, but not as good a shot stopper as Rocky
    It’s really awful having to assess players on TV

Meslier doing a great job in showing why it’s not beneficial to try and charge out nearly every cross that’s outside your 6 yard box. Lucky not to give away simple goals instead of making teams work for them.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Haven’t seen enough of him to make a decision
    Loves that he comes and claims crosses, but not as good a shot stopper as Rocky
    It’s really awful having to assess players on TV
    I’m not sure we’ve seen enough yet to judge whether or not he is a better shot stopper than Rocky tbh.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Like what I've seen of him so far...pulled off decent saves with not a lot to do in last 2 Cup ties...I think we may have a ready made replacement for Rocky tbh...command's his box a bit better than Rocky does too
    Was that you standing behind the goal on Sunday with your scarf tied to the fence?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post

Thought he was a left back?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Seconded - he has done nothing wrong and has in fact put in good performances whenever called upon. He looks a good shot stopper, has commanded his area well and has shown great distribution - one area where in fact he's looked stronger than Rocky.

As long as he's happy on Hibs money I'd say it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Macey keeps the gloves for cup games...good, I like him.
    Apparently he's starting against against Motherwell and any subsequent cup games. Sounds like there's a good chance we'll have him for next season. Happy enough with that.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...rsenal-3206343

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Apparently he's starting against against Motherwell and any subsequent cup games. Sounds like there's a good chance we'll have him for next season. Happy enough with that.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...rsenal-3206343

‘Talking about a new deal.’ Sounds positive.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    ‘Talking about a new deal.’ Sounds positive.
    Also good to see that players coming from an environment like Arsenal are impressed at what we have to offer.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Also good to see that players coming from an environment like Arsenal are impressed at what we have to offer.
    He’s probably just delighted to be away from Artetas joyless yamfuddery. Not sure the environment at Arsenal is much to shout about these days.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    He’s probably just delighted to be away from Artetas joyless yamfuddery. Not sure the environment at Arsenal is much to shout about these days.
    But they've got the Super League to look forward to. 🙃

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    But they've got the Super League to look forward to. 🙃

Also complete civil war between Leno and the new Spanish keeper coach. Leno surprisingly preferred the old Gk coach called Woodman, a British guy who worked across age groups including the u9s but Leno thought he improved his game, Leno complains about the newly appointed coach in the press, Arteta responded by sacking Woodman and continuing with the Spanish dude, in a GIRUY to Leno.

Macey probably has to tales to tell about the training regime.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 21-04-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

Also complete civil war between Leno and the new Spanish keeper coach. Leno surprisingly preferred the old Gk coach called Woodman, a British guy who worked across age groups including the u9s but Leno thought he improved his game, Leno complains about the newly appointed coach in the press, Arteta responded by sacking Woodman and continuing with the Spanish dude, in a GIRUY to Leno.

Macey probably has to tales to tell about the training regime.
    Leno has been good since Arteta joined so doubt there is really much issue. Civil war is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Leno has been good since Arteta joined so doubt there is really much issue. Civil war is a bit much.
    I agree Leno has been playing well, but that’s not my point. Keepers don’t normally call for the head of their coach publicly. Something is very wrong in the Arsenal GK dept.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 23-04-2021 at 10:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Never in a million years is this guy a replacement for Marciano.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Bad choice by the manager.He must shoulder the blame

How far across his line was he for both goals? Ridiculous

Left by mutual consent!
    I don’t blame the keeper for any of the two goals. Poor defending cost us. Boyle not challenging and Hanlon I think it was not putting a challenge in. Both have played well in the game but sadly lacking in those vital moments. That’s football I suppose 🙄

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    I don’t blame the keeper for any of the two goals. Poor defending cost us. Boyle not challenging and Hanlon I think it was not putting a challenge in. Both have played well in the game but sadly lacking in those vital moments. That’s football I suppose 🙄
    Don’t think we lose either with Rocky. Positioning would have been better.

This is why he will be tricky to replace. He just doesn’t make many mistakes, including positioning.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Don’t think we lose either with Rocky. Positioning would have been better.

This is why he will be tricky to replace. He just doesn’t make many mistakes, including positioning.
    I disagree. If we put any kind of challenge in, they don’t score.

Please don’t talk about Rocky & mistakes! You could make a DVD of his errors.
    listen, Rocky is a fantastic shot stopper but I reckon the reason he’s not had that big money move is because nobody really fancy him. He’s kidding himself on if he walks away from Hibs!