hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Macey

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are plenty of sessions like that, including the ones the SFA run. Not sure what you mean by 'charging through bodies', it would be difficult to find all the players you need to replicate a crowded box (certainly to drag them away into a goalie session would raise a few eyebrows!), but yes, they use sessions with mannequins to replicate this scenario in drills.

back in the day one of my favourite keepers for doing this in actual games was David James. Fantastic to watch him coming up plucking crosses out of the air repeatedly.
    I mean charging through bodies in relation to a game like scenario. You can practice catching etc in training as much as you like, the delivery is nothing like a proper set piece taker, the box is less crowded, you essentially know where it’s going so know your coming regardless. In a game you don’t have any of those luxuries, so being coached it and actually doing it in games are totally different. Unless a cross is on top of the keeper, or floated in high, then keepers 9 times out of 10 will leave it to their defenders.

Ps mannequins don’t move, so again, you have a head start there as you know where you can run and know no one will be moving into your way.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I like what I’ve saw of him so far.

Big, commanding, good shot stopper and good with the ball at his feet. Obviously had potential before arsenal signed him, he’s still going for a keeper so maybe he just needs a place to fufill that.

I’ve noticed him fumbles a couple of crosses over the games he’s played but I’m willing to put that down to being rusty as he’s not played much in the last year - think of Bogdan when he first arrived.

Totally unrelated to anything on this thread but it was great to see Dean Henderson rocking a cap in the 2nd half of Man Utds game today. Chris Kirkland was the last keeper I remember who regularly wore a cap.

If Hibs sign a goalkeeper that brings that back into fashion I'd be happy.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Totally unrelated to anything on this thread but it was great to see Dean Henderson rocking a cap in the 2nd half of Man Utds game today. Chris Kirkland was the last keeper I remember who regularly wore a cap.

On a similar but unrelated point my boy has recently taken up goalkeeping and I’ve noticed his diving is much better when he wears under armour legging things so I’ve got him wearing them all the time for football even when it’s roasting.

It’s amazing how telling an 8 year old that they’re like a modern day Billy Thompson means absolutely nothing to them.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    I mean charging through bodies in relation to a game like scenario. You can practice catching etc in training as much as you like, the delivery is nothing like a proper set piece taker, the box is less crowded, you essentially know where it’s going so know your coming regardless. In a game you don’t have any of those luxuries, so being coached it and actually doing it in games are totally different. Unless a cross is on top of the keeper, or floated in high, then keepers 9 times out of 10 will leave it to their defenders.

Ps mannequins don’t move, so again, you have a head start there as you know where you can run and know no one will be moving into your way.
    I don’t necessarily disagree with most of that, I’d add that certain goalies are confident enough to come out for more, and others are far more risk averse. Depends on the mindset.

I like Macey,,listened to sportsound today and they were going on about foster and why he never signed for Celtic this season and his weekly wage was £90k for a 3rd choice keeper at Southampton. Shows what market we are in for a top spl keeper 🙈

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Seems a decent enough keeper from what I've seen so far

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Was superb to see! I hate caps as I find they get in the road, and on public parks don’t actually shield you from a low sun, but was great to see, plus the fact it was bright red.

Think he's been decent so far. Absolutely nothing to do all game then produced a brilliant save. Sign of a good keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Not really no.

He’s obviously not perfect but I don’t think any of his flaws are anything that really cause us problems.

His mistakes are minimal, the other things he gets criticised for are his distribution (no big deal for me) and that he doesn’t come for crosses (nonsense imo)

It’s just an opinion though, I might be right, I might be wrong, I’m just saying that there’s something about Macey and his performances to date that makes me think he won’t be a future number one for us. I don’t think I’ve said anything too derogatory about him and he might prove me wrong, I just don’t think he will.
    Your deffo viewing Rocky thru green tinted specs...he doesn't command his six yard box at all and his kicking can be dreadful. He a top notch shot stopper but he has his flaws

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Your deffo viewing Rocky thru green tinted specs...he doesn't command his six yard box at all and his kicking can be dreadful. He a top notch shot stopper but he has his flaws
    To be fair mate with our budget and at our level every keeper will have a certain flaw.

Macey looks the real deal, much better distribution than Rocky and can get down to his corners quicker.

We need to find 2 keepers next year and I'd be very surprised if we managed to find 2 that are better than Macey so it makes complete sense that we offer him another contract.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Like what I’ve seen from him so far and on that basis wouldn’t be concerned about him being our number one going forward.

I get the anxiety of others going into a future after Rocky - I remember only too well the many years of inept goalkeepers who provided heart in mouth moments when even the most innocuous ball was played behind the back four. Not to mention the many derby disasters we had to endure.

However, I certainly haven’t got any of those vibes from Macey so far. The defences that have played in the games he’s started looked comfortable with him behind them, and he’s made some really good saves at times. Looks good with the ball at his feet, distribution seems smart as well.

Early days, but I like what I see.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 18-04-2021 at 10:11 PM.

A big plus point for Rocky in comparison to several of his predecessors is his lack of mistakes in derbies.

Promising Youngster
    Great to see a Hibs goalie come of his line and Collext a cross or a free kick .
    Marciano is horrendous with cross balls but a good shot stopper
    I think macey is a better all round keeper .

Haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion yet, although he’s a giant, I’ve learned that much. Would be surprised, and pleasantly so, if he’s as good as Marciano for us!

On another note - Stranraer keeper was excellent today!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion yet, although he’s a giant, I’ve learned that much. Would be surprised, and pleasantly so, if he’s as good as Marciano for us!

He was, looked too good for that level.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Have you noticed more this season that even shots straight at him he parries and beats straight back out into dangerous area. What happened to just plain catching it and holding into the stomach

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He was, looked too good for that level.
    I think it's more a case of found his level. He's played at a higher level before, including the Premiership, and gradually dropped down every few seasons to where he is now.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gets down well for such a tall lad

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I can't understand why Stranraer lie so lowly.

Left by mutual consent!
    Macey keeps the gloves for cup games...good, I like him.

Do we think Ross would be tempted to start him against Livingston?

They launch the ball into the box so having someone in goal like Macey to come and collect the crosses would take a lot of pressure off our goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

They launch the ball into the box so having someone in goal like Macey to come and collect the crosses would take a lot of pressure off our goal.
    I'd rather we set up to defend properly. A goalie can only do so much if the marking is awful. We battered Livi 4-1 with Rocky in net, not worried about him.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Can’t say I’m any more comfortable with Macey on crosses but largely because I don’t think Rocky really has a problem with them.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Would be more than Happy if we extend Macey's stay with us till next season, Give Dabrowski a new contract and sign one other goalie who is first team standard. I have no idea what Bogdans contractual situation is, but it would be fantatsic if we could get him back as no 1

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Can’t say I’m any more comfortable with Macey on crosses but largely because I don’t think Rocky really has a problem with them.
    Yeah, I don’t know where all this criticism of him comes from but Rocky is fine at them.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=bingo70;6530382]Not really no.

He’s obviously not perfect but I don’t think any of his flaws are anything that really cause us problems.

His mistakes are minimal, the other things he gets criticised for are his distribution (no big deal for me) and that he doesn’t come for crosses (nonsense imo)

I'm genuinely surprised at your comments here because his distribution has cost us on several occasions. There was the obvious glaring error against The Rangers that put us on the back foot in the 1st few minutes but time after time we surrender possession from his kick outs. Given that football nowadays is all about retaining possession then that is a problem. St J's late equaliser last season illustrated the 2 weaknesses you mention above. We have a goal kick into the last minute of added on time. Rocky hits it to an area where there isn't a Hibs player in sight, St J get comfortable possession, win a corner & score ( from about 3 yards out). Strangely, apart from his horrendous mistake on the pass back og for Israel, I feel he looks more comfortable with the ball at his feet internationally. Maybe it's the lack of a high press, better pitches or better players but in those games his distribution seems fine.

Macey looks like a vg replacement for Rocky.