hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left winger

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got to say I don’t necessarily agree with that.

Under Stubbs, Lennon and now Ross we always looked good in a 352 imo. Lennons team was probably the most exciting Hibs team I’ve watched in a while at the time we had Allan, Mcgeough and McGinn (albeit it’s not hard when you have those players).

But I think lately under Ross our football has improved and I think that’s because the players are understanding each other and the system a lot better.

Like you say though there will probably be big changes in the summer which will determine what formation we play.

Every time I see us as a 433/4231 I can’t help but feel the striker is too isolated.

If you play a 352 though your full backs need to be machines able to get up and down and contribute in an attacking sense like Cadden, Boyle and Doig - not so much Stevenson etc.

In a 4231/433, the striker is isolated because there isn't enough quality around him to be successful. A fit and raring to go Allan in behind the striker creating things, Boyle on the right and AN Other on the left with 2 solid midfielders behind, unfortunately whenever we have injuries or lack of form we don't have the players to come in and keep that system working. Ross has tried it but we've seen Wright is nowhere near good enough, Murphy is injury prone and has yet to produce, then you have the conundrum of having 2 strikers who can only play through the middle.

Unfortunately this isn't Football Manager where you pick a system and it all works fine, on paper we have players who should be vying for 2nd easily but as we've seen they're not consistent enough hence they're at Hibs, Ross has us playing to our strengths and the 352 seems to be working and until he gets better players he'll use it.

Funny you mention not so much Stevenson but he was the left wingback when Lennon had his success with the 352.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nothing industrial about the 352. And I don’t actually think we’ve played much in the way of industrial football. I get the feeling now it’s a bit of an illusion from watching the games on TV rather than being there. I actually think the vast majority would have really enjoyed this season from the stands.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Nothing industrial about the 352. And I don’t actually think we’ve played much in the way of industrial football. I get the feeling now it’s a bit of an illusion from watching the games on TV rather than being there. I actually think the vast majority would have really enjoyed this season from the stands.
    Agree. I’m not having this industrial nonsense. Seen a few industrial teams and we are nowhere near that. Might not always work but we try and play football.

I don't think Ross and Mathie have had anywhere near enough credit for how quickly and effectively they've reshaped the squad since Heckingbottom was punted.

We've brought in versatile players who are generally a good age for potential sell on value. Most of them have been available for the majority of games (Magennis and Wright being exceptions). We've also developed a few great youngsters fairly responsibly without over using them. The team are comfortable in 2 or 3 different formations.

I can see why Jack Ross mentioned a left sided forward but I think it would be more a squad option rather than a starter. We're now at a point where incoming players need to be pretty special to improve the first 11. The fact that the worst thing people can moan or speculate about is whether we need a left winger or a midfielder who scores a bit more regularly shows how healthy the squad is IMO.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Agree. I’m not having this industrial nonsense. Seen a few industrial teams and we are nowhere near that. Might not always work but we try and play football.
    100% agree. Industrial teams in this league are the hammer throwers like Aberdeen & Killie.

Even going back to McLeish days, 352 was a great formation for us. We had players that could do the dirty side too but that was cos they were good players, not industrial

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Daniel Mackay was my first thought tbh

Scottie on a scouting recce

Looks promising young and has pace and penetration
    According to HIBS News Twitter HIBS being strongly linked this morning with Daniel Mackay 20

ICT YPOTY 9 goals from 20 starts

Have we lost faith in Cadden on the left side of the five man midfield? With Doig doing so well behind him there’s no reason why he won’t come onto a game. Sometimes you have to be patient.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Have we lost faith in Cadden on the left side of the five man midfield? With Doig doing so well behind him there’s no reason why he won’t come onto a game. Sometimes you have to be patient.
    Never seen Cadden play on the left. Doubt if he ever has to be honest.

I thought Cadden had played all his games on the right?

Yeh he is right sided.

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    Do you mean Murphy??

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    While Cadden is predominately right sided, i am sure he switched left replacing Stevenson or Doig not long after he arrived.
    Plus JR has stated he's after a left winger.
    Last edited by offshorehibby; 04-05-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Sorry, Murphy. When he first arrived he looked like a quality player.

Don't think Murphy can play wingback in a 3-5-2, let alone as the more defensive wingback to allow Boyle more freedom on the other side.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.