hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left winger

Left winger

JR stating we are interested in bringing in a striker and a left winger. There's been chat about potential strikers (including LG) but any thoughts on who the left wingers might be?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Reckon we’ll be watching Daniel Mackay at Caley.

Good young left winger who has speed and is direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Is that the boy who scored a very good goal against Ross County? If so he looked decent with potential.
    Do you think he could go straight into our first 11?

Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    JR stating we are interested in bringing in a striker and a left winger. There's been chat about potential strikers (including LG) but any thoughts on who the left wingers might be?

It's definitely something we're lacking, the squad is unbalanced as is.

3 right sided mids/attackers Boyle, Cadden and Wright and only Murphy who plays off the left but is right footed but is also very injury prone.

Only got 2 main strikers even though Ross prefers a 2 striker formation, so another needed but if Nisbet leaves we may need 2 strikers.

Another area we need looking at is CH and RB, we only have Daz as real cover at CH and 2 ageing RB's, one looking tired and Gray who is way out the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Is that the boy who scored a very good goal against Ross County? If so he looked decent with potential.
    Do you think he could go straight into our first 11?
    Yeah that’s the one, from what I’ve seen he’s been really impressive.

Hard to say about him starting for us as he would be best left of a 433 type formation but it’s something we done play. If we did it would be really good having the option of him and Murphy between dips in form and injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    It's definitely something we're lacking, the squad is unbalanced as is.

3 right sided mids/attackers Boyle, Cadden and Wright and only Murphy who plays off the left but is right footed but is also very injury prone.

Only got 2 main strikers even though Ross prefers a 2 striker formation, so another needed but if Nisbet leaves we may need 2 strikers.

Another area we need looking at is CH and RB, we only have Daz as real cover at CH and 2 ageing RB's, one looking tired and Gray who is way out the picture.
    And Cadden and Wright can’t get into first team first 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    And Cadden and Wright can’t get into first team first 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cadden hadn't played much when he came and Wright is just naff.

Wingers are an inconsistent lot.
    Tend to blow hot one week and cold the next.
    Hearts have signed hunners of them in recent years and they have generally been a waste of wages.
    Horgan was of the hot and cold variety but his fitness was a lot better than his replacement Murphy.

Where is Lewis Morgan playing these days, great player when at St Mirren

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    Where is Lewis Morgan playing these days, great player when at St Mirren
    Inter Miami.

Season started at the weekend, he started for them, alongside Higuain and Matuidi.

I doubt we’ll be getting him.

Is Jordan Jones still with sevco always thought he was decent.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by dchibs View Post
    Is Jordan Jones still with sevco always thought he was decent.
    Sunderland, dunno if it’s on loan though.

It’s an odd one. We don’t really play with wingers in the traditional 442 sense. Doig provides all the width and penetration on the left side but he’s clearly a LWB. Boyle does a lot more attacking than defending in his role. So it’s a left winger that’s general not going to play most weeks unless we are thinking of changing systems and going to a back 4. That would then make the Cadden signing a bigger deal as he’d probably slot in to the RB role.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Inter Miami.

Season started at the weekend, he started for them, alongside Higuain and Matuidi.

He was also just voted their MVP in his first season so definitely not going anywhere soon

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Would Greg Kiltie be a shout?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar

Now the Scott Allan loan makes sense, he's been sent up to plant the seed of a summer move to ER in the lads head.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Daniel Mackay was my first thought tbh

Scottie on a scouting recce

Looks promising young and has pace and penetration

Sunderland, dunno if it’s on loan though.
    Dunno either, but he seems to have been getting good reports from a Makem pal so either way he'd probably be out of our price range.

Brandon Barker has been out on loan at league 1 Oxford and apparently doing really well so i doubt we could get him. Our interest in Thomas Robert seems to have petered out in the media just now but there might have been something in it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    Brandon Barker has been out on loan at league 1 Oxford and apparently doing really well so i doubt we could get him. Our interest in Thomas Robert seems to have petered out in the media just now but there might have been something in it.
    Robert can’t get in the Airdrie team just now

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Robert can’t get in the Airdrie team just now
    I’ve always thought there was something weird going on there.

As if some young French laddie, with nae link to Scotland, would ever choose Airdrie if there were better options.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I’ve always thought there was something weird going on there.

As if some young French laddie, with nae link to Scotland, would ever choose Airdrie if there were better options.
    Remember when Sean Clare turned down English Premiership clubs to sign with Hearts?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I don’t see 3-5-2 being a long term sustainable solution for a side wanting to play attractive attacking football. So that would mean going to a back 4. Majority of teams now play 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 with a main striker and two wingers high up the park. 4-4-2 gets you overrun in the middle of the park. Be an interesting summer of transition though, plenty movement both ways I’d imagine, but a left winger is a must, need two for there with Murphy being one of those two. Would imagine Nisbet will go so will need a couple of strikers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    I don’t see 3-5-2 being a long term sustainable solution for a side wanting to play attractive attacking football. So that would mean going to a back 4. Majority of teams now play 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 with a main striker and two wingers high up the park. 4-4-2 gets you overrun in the middle of the park. Be an interesting summer of transition though, plenty movement both ways I’d imagine, but a left winger is a must, need two for there with Murphy being one of those two. Would imagine Nisbet will go so will need a couple of strikers as well.
    Got to say I don’t necessarily agree with that.

Under Stubbs, Lennon and now Ross we always looked good in a 352 imo. Lennons team was probably the most exciting Hibs team I’ve watched in a while at the time we had Allan, Mcgeough and McGinn (albeit it’s not hard when you have those players).

But I think lately under Ross our football has improved and I think that’s because the players are understanding each other and the system a lot better.

Like you say though there will probably be big changes in the summer which will determine what formation we play.

Every time I see us as a 433/4231 I can’t help but feel the striker is too isolated.

If you play a 352 though your full backs need to be machines able to get up and down and contribute in an attacking sense like Cadden, Boyle and Doig - not so much Stevenson etc.

Under Stubbs, Lennon and now Ross we always looked good in a 352 imo. Lennons team was probably the most exciting Hibs team I’ve watched in a while at the time we had Allan, Mcgeough and McGinn (albeit it’s not hard when you have those players).

But I think lately under Ross our football has improved and I think that’s because the players are understanding each other and the system a lot better.

Like you say though there will probably be big changes in the summer which will determine what formation we play.

Every time I see us as a 433/4231 I can’t help but feel the striker is too isolated.

If you play a 352 though your full backs need to be machines able to get up and down and contribute in an attacking sense like Cadden, Boyle and Doig - not so much Stevenson etc.
    I agree our football has been better, just feel it’s designed for industrial type football. All very congested. I think our striker gets isolated because it’s clear it’s not a formation that’s used a lot by us, so we use our strikers as more wide midfielders. It takes a lot of movement and understanding but it’s no surprise the majority of top clubs use it now. Would certainly be the way I’d be moving us but that takes time.

JR saying he wants a left winger makes the tactical change an interesting point though. We have Doig so why the need for a left winger? Certainly dont need one in a 352. Hence why some people are thinking we may be looking at different formations moving forward. We have been pretty easy to figure out our game plan for a lot of the games. He also clearly doesnt see Wright as a solution, another right footer being out on the left when he plays. Not many lefties in the squad tbh. Magennis will do a job on the left of the midfield but its not the answer long term.... So i can see Wright moving on and a left sided utility player coming in.

And ive forgotten about Murphy again!

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    JR saying he wants a left winger makes the tactical change an interesting point though. We have Doig so why the need for a left winger? Certainly dont need one in a 352. Hence why some people are thinking we may be looking at different formations moving forward. We have been pretty easy to figure out our game plan for a lot of the games. He also clearly doesnt see Wright as a solution, another right footer being out on the left when he plays. Not many lefties in the squad tbh. Magennis will do a job on the left of the midfield but its not the answer long term.... So i can see Wright moving on and a left sided utility player coming in.

And ive forgotten about Murphy again!
    I agree we may change formation, just don’t agree with the comment about 352 not being a sustainable formation for playing attractive football.

I think what we’ve saw with Ross this season is he’s more than happy to change formation based on who we’re playing whether it’s 352, 442 or 4231. Having that left winger would add to what we can play without having people out of position and allow us to set up differently.

Agree that Wright will most likely be moved on, Magennis isn’t a left mid and Murphy....well I just can’t see him ever being fit.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    I agree our football has been better, just feel it’s designed for industrial type football. All very congested. I think our striker gets isolated because it’s clear it’s not a formation that’s used a lot by us, so we use our strikers as more wide midfielders. It takes a lot of movement and understanding but it’s no surprise the majority of top clubs use it now. Would certainly be the way I’d be moving us but that takes time.
    True, but I think this season has proved that playing slightly industrial football works as were 3rd, Aberdeen also done it very well.

I get most bigger and successful teams use that however they have the budget to buy and play the guys that are really good in 1v1s and likely to create something out of nothing.

In a 4231 at the moment our best attacking players in that formation playing in their actual positions would probably be Murphy, Allan and Boyle behind Nisbet. You wouldn’t be able to play Doidge who to me is such a vital player and Nisbet misses him, some would say Nisbet on the left but I’m not sure he’s played there before much and it takes away the best part of his game.

352 allows us to play the likes of Allan, Boyle, Doidge and Nisbet.

Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle all getting in double figures shows it can be effective going forward.

I’m sure the opposition would much rather play against 1 striker than 2, especially in Scotland.

Inter Miami.

I only watched the first half but Morgan looked very decent from what I saw. Didn't look out of place at all....

True, but I think this season has proved that playing slightly industrial football works as were 3rd, Aberdeen also done it very well.

I get most bigger and successful teams use that however they have the budget to buy and play the guys that are really good in 1v1s and likely to create something out of nothing.

In a 4231 at the moment our best attacking players in that formation playing in their actual positions would probably be Murphy, Allan and Boyle behind Nisbet. You wouldn’t be able to play Doidge who to me is such a vital player and Nisbet misses him, some would say Nisbet on the left but I’m not sure he’s played there before much and it takes away the best part of his game.

352 allows us to play the likes of Allan, Boyle, Doidge and Nisbet.

Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle all getting in double figures shows it can be effective going forward.

I’m sure the opposition would much rather play against 1 striker than 2, especially in Scotland.
    Totally agree with the first comment and I’ve no issue with it. Just thinking how Ross may want us to evolve in the future. It’s not only top clubs that play it though, I’d say it’s probably the majority of clubs over here, if suits almost every team.