hibs.net Messageboard

a1 sporting memorabilia etc

Hello All,

Interested to get peoples opinion on football merchandise (signed shirts..)

This is something I'm very interested in doing over the years and I've researched various websites etc heavily to get an idea of trustworthy sellers + general price.

At the end of the day, a signed shirt is worth what the buyer will pay for it. However, I did notice on a separate thread here (RE: signed pele shirt) that person deemed the market "crowded" and sold it for £150.. So what are peoples opinion on the prices charged for signed shirts when you look at sellers such as:

A1 Sporting memorabilia
    Exclusive memorabilia
    ICONS

Below is a link to a signed Pele top for £499.

https://www.exclusivememorabilia.com...ard-frame.html

Interested to get peoples opinion here, especially if you are a bit of a collector yourself..

Appreciated

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough EastThomasSTboy's Avatar

Pele Shirts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello All,

This is something I'm very interested in doing over the years and I've researched various websites etc heavily to get an idea of trustworthy sellers + general price.

At the end of the day, a signed shirt is worth what the buyer will pay for it. However, I did notice on a separate thread here (RE: signed pele shirt) that person deemed the market "crowded" and sold it for £150.. So what are peoples opinion on the prices charged for signed shirts when you look at sellers such as:

A1 Sporting memorabilia
    Exclusive memorabilia
    ICONS

Afternoon.

Interested to get peoples opinion here, especially if you are a bit of a collector yourself..

Appreciated

Afternoon....This is a Belter.
    About 12 years ago, i went on a Cruise round the Red Sea.
    Being a "jersey" Collector i got quite excited about the Weekly onboard Auction, which featured a Signed Pele No.10 Shirt.
    That is, until i got into a conversation at the Bar, with one of the Entertainment team, a decent guy, who was also a Collector (leeds United).
    He told me that a well-known Company had arranged for a Photograph to be taken showing a smiling Pele signing a No.10 Brazil strip. A Chinese company had then made 1,000 of these jerseys (with a facsimilie-real looking autograph printed on the front). They were then sent to ALL the Cruise Companies, to be sold on, at their Weekly Auctions, with an accompanying copy of Pele's Photograph and the usual Certificate of Authenticity. He then told me that after we left the Ship, they had a similar Maradona Jersey for Auction for the next/return Cruise.....So there are probably 1,000s and 1,000s of these jerseys floating about, none of them Match-worn..however framed up, they look good hung in your Mancave.

The Rule of Thumb when buying any item, is knowing who you are buying it from, and if Match-worn, whats the Provenance. In over 40 years of Collecting, i have NEVER bought anything that had a "Certificate of Authenticity" with it, or bought any item from a Memorabilia Company. Indeed i have had to warn a certain "Shop Owner" from selling dodgy items. So be careful what you buy and dont take any item at face-value.

On a different note, Framing companies such as A1, etc, are great when it comes to having your items framed, as they do a very good job, and Tommy Wright (Hibs Historical Trust-Retired Framer) was one of the best when it came to framing jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by EastThomasSTboy View Post
    About 12 years ago, i went on a Cruise round the Red Sea.
    Being a "jersey" Collector i got quite excited about the Weekly onboard Auction, which featured a Signed Pele No.10 Shirt.
    That is, until i got into a conversation at the Bar, with one of the Entertainment team, a decent guy, who was also a Collector (leeds United).
    He told me that a well-known Company had arranged for a Photograph to be taken showing a smiling Pele signing a No.10 Brazil strip. A Chinese company had then made 1,000 of these jerseys (with a facsimilie-real looking autograph printed on the front). They were then sent to ALL the Cruise Companies, to be sold on, at their Weekly Auctions, with an accompanying copy of Pele's Photograph and the usual Certificate of Authenticity. He then told me that after we left the Ship, they had a similar Maradona Jersey for Auction for the next/return Cruise.....So there are probably 1,000s and 1,000s of these jerseys floating about, none of them Match-worn..however framed up, they look good hung in your Mancave.

The Rule of Thumb when buying any item, is knowing who you are buying it from, and if Match-worn, whats the Provenance. In over 40 years of Collecting, i have NEVER bought anything that had a "Certificate of Authenticity" with it, or bought any item from a Memorabilia Company. Indeed i have had to warn a certain "Shop Owner" from selling dodgy items. So be careful what you buy and dont take any item at face-value.

On a different note, Framing companies such as A1, etc, are great when it comes to having your items framed, as they do a very good job, and Tommy Wright (Hibs Historical Trust-Retired Framer) was one of the best when it came to framing jerseys.
    Appreciate the response, and a belter of a story that was..!!)

Interesting that you haven't bought a single signed shirt with a COA.. From my (inexperienced) viewpoint it would appear that a COA would be mandatory. ie thinking decades later how else can you prove that it is genuine, right... That's where I understand having reliable companies such as ICONS + A1 who organise signing sessions with the players (via their agents) themselves would be the proof going forward that it was indeed genuine (not match worn but just a sit down with X player who sign's it and then ICONS + A1 frame it or sell shirt only) - What is your opinion on those two companies selling signed football shirts..?

Without any COA I get the impression it would be fairly difficult to convince a future buyer of the items authenticity - However that doesn't appear to have altered your take on it. How have you navigated this..? Perhaps it's a non-issue...

Thanks in advance,

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EastThomasSTboy View Post

Good as he was, I’d want a letter before I left it with him mind you

There are certain companies in the sports memorabilia world that are well respected and I would have no trouble trusting them.

The previous thread about the Pele shirt on EBay was authenticated by PSA who are a long standing US company and they are well known in the baseball card collecting world and one of the leaders in grading sports card and authenticating autographs and such.

I have no idea about A1, I don’t pay as much attention as I used to, but looking at their website they seems to be well established and obviously have bulk signing sessions with sports stars, so this shirt is likely genuine as well.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    Hello All,

A1 Sporting memorabilia
    Exclusive memorabilia
    ICONS

Appreciated
    Go onto ebay, its flooded with signed Pele shirts.

First Team Breakthrough EastThomasSTboy's Avatar

BBC Sites

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    Go onto ebay, its flooded with signed Pele shirts.

For anyone thats interested in reading up on this....If you Google "fraudulent Sports memorabilia", scroll down and look at the excellent articles
    on the BBC site.
    Lots of interesting reads there.
    Basically saying that some fans have spent a fortune amassing their Collections, only to find out it was worthless.
    Caveat Emptor.GGTTH.

Thank you all for sharing your opinion/experiences.

I've probabaly had one of thee most unproductive weeks at work researching all this.

Taking all the above into account I'm going to keep an eye out for strips via:

1) graham budd auctions (some crackers on this looking through past auction results...)
    2) Charity Stars Auction

Having researched the price of strips from the 80's + 90's these seem to keep their value well, especially if you find a strip with tags and a legendary name/number..

If anyone has experience on the auction site or perhaps any links with 80's 90's football kits let me know (ebay is hit or miss + high volume of fakes..)

One thing on the auction side I could really do with an input is the purchase of signed shirts that seem to come with no provenance/COA.

For example:

https://www.grahambuddauctions.co.uk...earch_priority[0]=&search_type=&sort_by=high_low&view=lot_detail&ye ar=

In some instances of looking at past graham budd auctions there hasn't been any demand for signed shirts without provenance/COA but in the case of the above, there has been demand - I'm assuming this comes down to the degree of certainty the buyers have that the item is infact genuine..?

Secondly, using the above example, could you then get this taken to Beckett, JSA PSA (Unsure if they operate in the UK) to get it verified with a COA..?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Steve88; 10-04-2021 at 09:01 AM.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Pele shirts get a bad rap, but by all accounts Pele is an absolute Whore for signing stuff as long as you pay the rate.
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run