hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51

Thread: Bowie

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,653

    Bowie

    The absolute king of music. No one will ever better what he did. Legend.

    United we stand here....


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,780
    Only started to listen to him over the last few years and he was the best of his generation.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16


  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    53,279
    Nah, not for me. Too many piss poor songs on every album, he did have some fantastic ones too, but for me he's a very good artist, but way over hyped.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah, not for me. Too many piss poor songs on every album, he did have some fantastic ones too, but for me he's a very good artist, but way over hyped.
    For me Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Aladdin Sane were immense, perfect for the time. After that good and meh!
    His Lords prayer at the Freddie Mercury concert was one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen.
    Mick Ronson taken far too soon.
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 17-04-2021 at 03:06 PM.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Persevered Towers
    Age
    48
    Posts
    9,976
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah, not for me. Too many piss poor songs on every album, he did have some fantastic ones too, but for me he's a very good artist, but way over hyped.
    Agreed. His greatest hits reel is excellent but there's a lot of self indulgent crap in his back catalogue. I do love how he stayed fresh and re-invented himself though and I regret never seeing live. A great artist and showman, yes. King of music? Sorry but he doesn't come close to Prince for that accolade.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Strandhill, Sligo
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,821
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. His greatest hits reel is excellent but there's a lot of self indulgent crap in his back catalogue. I do love how he stayed fresh and re-invented himself though and I regret never seeing live. A great artist and showman, yes. King of music? Sorry but he doesn't come close to Prince for that accolade.
    saved me writing the same 😉

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,653
    Christ, another thread I don’t remember starting. At least this ones better than the one on the main board.

    United we stand here....

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. His greatest hits reel is excellent but there's a lot of self indulgent crap in his back catalogue. I do love how he stayed fresh and re-invented himself though and I regret never seeing live. A great artist and showman, yes. King of music? Sorry but he doesn't come close to Prince for that accolade.
    Prince as great, but wouldn’t get into the top 10 conversation.

    United we stand here....

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Persevered Towers
    Age
    48
    Posts
    9,976
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Prince as great, but wouldn’t get into the top 10 conversation.
    All very subjective and without a definition hard to pin the accolade to one artist. Prince for me wins it due to his skills on many different instruments. The guy was not just a top entertainer, he was a musical genius.....and a top ****ger!

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All very subjective and without a definition hard to pin the accolade to one artist. Prince for me wins it due to his skills on many different instruments. The guy was not just a top entertainer, he was a musical genius.....and a top ****ger!
    I love Prince, he was pretty unique in what he did and was also a great song writer. As you say it’s all subjective.

    United we stand here....

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    53,279
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Christ, another thread I don’t remember starting. At least this ones better than the one on the main board.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All very subjective and without a definition hard to pin the accolade to one artist. Prince for me wins it due to his skills on many different instruments. The guy was not just a top entertainer, he was a musical genius.....and a top ****ger!
    He’s no Paul Weller! 😀

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,763
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Prince as great, but wouldn’t get into the top 10 conversation.
    Depends who you are talking to I suppose. Like all art and entertainment its all personal therefor there are no right answers, no metrics that prove anything. It's just down to personal taste. There's a caveat. Anyone supporting Hearts is clearly a moron.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,324
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah, not for me. Too many piss poor songs on every album, he did have some fantastic ones too, but for me he's a very good artist, but way over hyped.
    You're a Queen fan, right?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  16. #15
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    27,405
    I like how this has turned into a ‘hes not very good’ thread.

    I love Bowie. Favourite song currently? Wild is the Wind.

  17. #16
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    30,491
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like how this has turned into a ‘hes not very good’ thread.

    I love Bowie. Favourite song currently? Wild is the Wind.

    Are you sure?




    I thought it was just some people posting that he was OK, but not necessarily the best

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    53,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're a Queen fan, right?
    Yip, they have never written a bad song.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,591
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends who you are talking to I suppose. Like all art and entertainment its all personal therefor there are no right answers, no metrics that prove anything. It's just down to personal taste.

    Totally agree. Leading up to the Millennium there was a gold rush for journos to list their favourite albums (or whatever) and the fashion for quantifying stuff has never abated. The idea the album format is the be all and end all when it comes to music also get's my goat. Most of those "5 star" albums bummed up in the press turn out to be gash.

    I sometimes read a list of someone's "Top Ten Ever" and think wtf!! - that's maybe the persons favourites but in no way can it ever qualify as an objective list of great music, so then I think "each to their own".

    I love about 6 or 7 albums by Bowie and at the same time there's quite a few I wouldn't give earspace ever again (looking at you, Tin Machine). The cultural impact of his singles far outweigh his long form output for all but a few.

    My favourite music is whatever I am listening to and enjoying at the time.

  20. #19
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    27,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you sure?




    I thought it was just some people posting that he was OK, but not necessarily the best
    From the first post we’ve gone from the OP calling him ‘the absolute king of music’ to him being then described as ‘Cringeworthy’ , pish poor’ , ‘self indulgent crap’

    Yes, I’m sure

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,591
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the first post we’ve gone from the OP calling him ‘the absolute king of music’ to him being then described as ‘Cringeworthy’ , pish poor’ , ‘self indulgent crap’

    Yes, I’m sure
    Apart from the first one, no one described him as any of those things.

  22. #21
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    27,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apart from the first one, no one described him as any of those things.
    Him, personally, No. Individual songs, Yes.

    You must admit it’s not the normal arc for a thread.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,591
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Him, personally, No. Individual songs, Yes.

    You must admit it’s not the normal arc for a thread.
    Mmm, not for a music thread.

    "I think Showaddywaddy (or whoever) are the best ever".

    "Naw they urnae, thur pish"

    Happens all the time.

  24. #23
    First Team Regular G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    G15
    Age
    43
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the first post we’ve gone from the OP calling him ‘the absolute king of music’ to him being then described as ‘Cringeworthy’ , pish poor’ , ‘self indulgent crap’

    Yes, I’m sure
    I ****ing love Bowie, but I could easily use all of those phrases to describe parts of his work and career. Apart from a period in the 80s (his Phil Collins years, as he described them) he tended to be pretty daring for a mainstream pop star which inevitably did result in cringeworthy, pish poor self-indulgent crap. However, the best stuff he produced was some of the greatest pop music ever made - and he had pretty consistent periods of being at the top of his game.

  25. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I ****ing love Bowie, but I could easily use all of those phrases to describe parts of his work and career. Apart from a period in the 80s (his Phil Collins years, as he described them) he tended to be pretty daring for a mainstream pop star which inevitably did result in cringeworthy, pish poor self-indulgent crap. However, the best stuff he produced was some of the greatest pop music ever made - and he had pretty consistent periods of being at the top of his game.
    Agree with every word. I described his "lords prayer" as cringeworthy and stick by that.

  26. #25
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,491
    The moment when he bursts into chorus in “Life On Mars” is the greatest moment in music history.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The moment when he bursts into chorus in “Life On Mars” is the greatest moment in music history.
    Really sorry to hijack the thread but the greatest moment in music history is Peter Gabriel singing the word "Jerusalem" the last word of "Suppers ready"
    Maybe need another thread?

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    54
    Posts
    26,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The moment when he bursts into chorus in “Life On Mars” is the greatest moment in music history.
    It is pretty good, but I've always been impressed by Michael Jackson (and I'm not a fan) singing "change" right on the key change in Man in the Mirror. Clever stuff!

  29. #28
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,491
    Nope, I'm sorry, I've checked and it's defo when he goes into the chorus on Life on Mars. I'd love to change it, but it's just a scientific fact.

    I don't make the rules.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  30. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope, I'm sorry, I've checked and it's defo when he goes into the chorus on Life on Mars. I'd love to change it, but it's just a scientific fact.

    I don't make the rules.
    Haha fair enough, let's agree the 60'/70's were scientifically proven to be the greatest musical decades 😄👍🏻
    Now duck!!! 😄

  31. #30
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha fair enough, let's agree the 60'/70's were scientifically proven to be the greatest musical decades 😄👍🏻
    Now duck!!! 😄
    I've checked and it wasn't, it was the nineties. Apart from Oasis, they were *****.

    Again, I don't make the rules, science does so if you don't agree with that then you're an anti-vaxxer and anti-climate change.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)