hibs.net Messageboard

Watching football in pubs

I made the school big error of suggesting I’d organise a pub for me and a few mates to go to for the Scotland v England game in June and it got me thinking of the way that casually watching a game in a pub might be a long way off.

I could see pubs taking bookings and deposits so they can limit the amount of people they’ve got on for the sake of safety. There’s been some cracking times I’ve watched football in pubs, especially international games. I was wondering if that’s now a thing of the past

I was also wondering if any decent places to watch the Scotland v England game this summer!

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'd expect Three Sisters will be a big draw, in so far as the rules allow.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I made the school big error of suggesting I’d organise a pub for me and a few mates to go to for the Scotland v England game in June and it got me thinking of the way that casually watching a game in a pub might be a long way off.

I could see pubs taking bookings and deposits so they can limit the amount of people they’ve got on for the sake of safety. There’s been some cracking times I’ve watched football in pubs, especially international games. I was wondering if that’s now a thing of the past

I was also wondering if any decent places to watch the Scotland v England game this summer!
    Had this conversation with my mates recently. We’ve decided to watch it in a big group in my garden. Just worried the pubs will still be too restrictive in June.

There's clearly still going to be restrictions in place in June so a normal pub gathering to watch the football isn't going to be possible.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's a thing of the past though.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    There's clearly still going to be restrictions in place in June so a normal pub gathering to watch the football isn't going to be possible.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's a thing of the past though.
    Could well be a thing of the future though according to my rose-tinted spec maker.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Had this conversation with my mates recently. We’ve decided to watch it in a big group in my garden. Just worried the pubs will still be too restrictive in June.
    We’re planning on just doing the same. Garden party, weather permitting. Get a projector set up and keg ordered

@hibs.net private member

Assuming the vaccines work and the vulnerable are therefore protected, there is no reason why we should not be watching football in pubs.

Testimonial Due
    I think I will be in London when the game is on. Looking for a Scottish pub with outdoor screen.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

I’m just planning my pub’s reopening and we’ll be going to town on the Euros. Every game will be shown, with commentary and we’re still hoping we’ll be in level 0 by then and can have live music on after the last game each night. Usual stuff like free pies and free pint when Scotland win.

www.thepipersrest.co.uk

Give me a shout if you want me to book you a table. I’ll be at Wembley but my team will look after you.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Assuming the vaccines work and the vulnerable are therefore protected, there is no reason why we should not be watching football in pubs.
    The vaccine isn't a live vaccine, it helps your body fight the virus rather than stops you catching it so you could still pass something on. With June still being relatively close to the large reduction in restrictions there is likely to be a cautious approach in case of variants passing around crowded groups.

Watching sport events in large groups in pubs will definitely return but June might be a little too soon. The hospitality industry itself will be cautious so as ti not end up shut down again.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    The vaccine isn't a live vaccine, it helps your body fight the virus rather than stops you catching it so you could still pass something on. With June still being relatively close to the large reduction in restrictions there is likely to be a cautious approach in case of variants passing around crowded groups.

Watching sport events in large groups in pubs will definitely return but June might be a little too soon. The hospitality industry itself will be cautious so as ti not end up shut down again.
    However, the vaccine is ensuring those who get seriously ill are no longer catching it. If you look at recent figures, COVID is almost non existent in over 60’s in Scotland now and hospital admissions are next to nothing. The vaccine is doing its job, for now. 🤞🏼

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    However, the vaccine is ensuring those who get seriously ill are no longer catching it. If you look at recent figures, COVID is almost non existent in over 60’s in Scotland now and hospital admissions are next to nothing. The vaccine is doing its job, for now. 🤞🏼
    Oh absolutely, it's definitely doing it's job and even when there's been illegal mass gatherings such as the rangers fiasco we're not seeing spikes so things are looking positive. I just think June will be a little too soon for a return to pubs full of people watching a game while singing, shouting and hugging.

Worth pointing out that while over 60s and some medical conditions make you high risk, lots of low risk folk haven't fully recovered months after getting coronavirus. I know a few who are still suffering. It's a particularly nasty bug.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    With the Scotland V England game being on a Friday at 8 then even in normal times it would have been a struggle to get into a pub unless you booked first or got there early doors

Luckily I'm on holiday for the group stages so should find somewhere to watch them

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Oh absolutely, it's definitely doing it's job and even when there's been illegal mass gatherings such as the rangers fiasco we're not seeing spikes so things are looking positive. I just think June will be a little too soon for a return to pubs full of people watching a game while singing, shouting and hugging.

Worth pointing out that while over 60s and some medical conditions make you high risk, lots of low risk folk haven't fully recovered months after getting coronavirus. I know a few who are still suffering. It's a particularly nasty bug.
    Absolutely, even in level 0 there's no standing and it's still table service only in bars. We need to be out of the levels before we'll see pubs busy again.......unfortunately.