hibs.net Messageboard

Gordon Park Article - 5 Years Ago

This popped up on my feed so thought I'd share, no doubt some of you saw it at the time.

A very bitter man he is, he must have been spewing after the 21 May.

Favourite lines include,

"How can it be that you only need to stumble through three games to book your place at a Hampden showcase?

Three games? I’ve checked and double-checked that statistic and it’s as astonishing as it is accurate."

Probably should have tripled checked that then as we played five games to get to Hampden.

"A Scottish Cup win wouldn’t trump a return to the top table in the minds of any Hibs fan."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...LYlJUQGkEd4.97

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This popped up on my feed so thought I'd share, no doubt some of you saw it at the time.

Favourite lines include,

"How can it be that you only need to stumble through three games to book your place at a Hampden showcase?

Three games? I’ve checked and double-checked that statistic and it’s as astonishing as it is accurate."

Probably should have tripled checked that then as we played five games to get to Hampden.

"A Scottish Cup win wouldn’t trump a return to the top table in the minds of any Hibs fan."

I wonder if he was just a little red faced at 1645 on May 21st?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Who is Gordon Park?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Up there with the biggest load of drivel I've ever read. He doesn't grasp how cup competitions work does he?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    A typically joyless and bitter Daily Record piece.

Hopefully that Gordon Park whoever he is was as bitter and joyless on 21.5.16.

He was fud then and I assume he's a fud now. I haven't read one of his columns in years.

One of those guys who seemed to get very little joy out of football despite the fact playing a few games in the lower leagues saw him present himself as some kind of anointed expert.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Who IS Gordon Parks? Anyone know?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Who IS Gordon Parks? Anyone know?
    Something to do with Wallace and Gromit?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Daily Record sports hack who famously reported with total confidence that Alan Kernaghan was our new manager - just before Mowbray was appointed. Not the brightest.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Daily Record sports hack who famously reported with total confidence that Alan Kernaghan was our new manager - just before Mowbray was appointed. Not the brightest.
    That whole story is one of the main reasons that the Daily Record are so hostile towards Hibs.
    In 2005 Hibs announce they'll be unveiling a new manager, The Record hacks believes its Kernaghan, Hibs say nothing.

The morning of the Press Conference the Record splash "It's all yours Alan" across the back page. That morning the Press Conference at ER starts and in walks Tony Mowbray.
    Traynor has a nuclear meltdown at Record HQ accusing the hacks of making him look like an idiot, hacks get their jobs threatened and Traynor remains bitter towards Hibs for years.

@hibs.net private member
    Ha. the weegie press were desperate then and are just as desperate now. This is all about desperation for a Rantic final.
    Yes three games (excluding replays) to get to Hampden but only four clubs can achieve that. I notice he doesn’t mention how the mighty SEVCO managed to scrape by Cowdenbeath, ten man Kilmarnock and Dundee to reach Hampden.
    Must have ripped his knitting something awful when 90+2 came along on May 21st. But really, the only teams that deserve to win a Scottish Cup are one the the arse cheeks so you can’t blame the poor man

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post

Favourite lines include,

perhaps someone should ask him how many games other clubs had to play to get to a Hampden showcase?

Must have been a real advantage for Hibs to only have to play 3 whilst others play more....

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Who is Gordon Park?
    Never heard of the guy however he sounds as bitter as that cock Ewan Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    That whole story is one of the main reasons that the Daily Record are so hostile towards Hibs.
    In 2005 Hibs announce they'll be unveiling a new manager, The Record hacks believes its Kernaghan, Hibs say nothing.

The morning of the Press Conference the Record splash "It's all yours Alan" across the back page. That morning the Press Conference at ER starts and in walks Tony Mowbray.
    Traynor has a nuclear meltdown at Record HQ accusing the hacks of making him look like an idiot, hacks get their jobs threatened and Traynor remains bitter towards Hibs for years.
    Just as well, as Kernaghan ended up going to Dundee instead and led them to SEVENTH place in the First Division.

After reading that is it any wonder Scottish football struggles to create a positive image for itself when a folk like him write utterly negative drivel like that. Both clubs had indeed had bad seasons, but the fact that the cup gives a chance for redemption in such circumstances should enhance the glamour of the cup, not devalue it.

What more evidence of his lack of knowledge is needed when you read his opinion that Hibs fans would rather have seen promotion than a Scottish cup win ... probably true of some, but very much a minority even at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    After reading that is it any wonder Scottish football struggles to create a positive image for itself when a folk like him write utterly negative drivel like that. Both clubs had indeed had bad seasons, but the fact that the cup gives a chance for redemption in such circumstances should enhance the glamour of the cup, not devalue it.

What more evidence of his lack of knowledge is needed when you read his opinion that Hibs fans would rather have seen promotion than a Scottish cup win ... probably true of some, but very much a minority even at the time.
    You can add to that the people that invariably pop up on social media or domestic forums (including this one) with the tried and tested "ehh, Scottish football is *****." Don't watch it then and leave it to the people who actually want to change it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    You can add to that the people that invariably pop up on social media or domestic forums (including this one) with the tried and tested "ehh, Scottish football is *****." Don't watch it then and leave it to the people who actually want to change it.
    This pisses me off enormously especially when I hear it from English folk who tell me how **** it is compared to English football yet they actually don’t go and watch anyone apart from on the TV. “How the **** do you watch Hibs” is normally answered by “how can you criticise when you actually don’t physically go and support any team apart from your armchair”.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This pisses me off enormously especially when I hear it from English folk who tell me how **** it is compared to English football yet they actually don’t go and watch anyone apart from on the TV. “How the **** do you watch Hibs” is normally answered by “how can you criticise when you actually don’t physically go and support any team apart from your armchair”.
    I wonder if Joey Barton was one of those people before he was nutmegged by a Hamilton player? 😂

Those people seem unable to place the leagues within context. But also, have no idea about the game here.

Old Firm Facts has highlighted this a lot in the past.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Always a good answer

Played for Dundee united with McKinnon and Ferguson when we won the bp youth cup