hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    40 million and West Ham/Villa is about McGinns level. He isn't a better player than Rice for example. Hes a decent player, no doubt, but I think hes hit his ceiling a bit.

Leicester (Tielemans, Ndidi) and Everton (Allan, Doucoure) both have better midfields when the players are fit, which in fairness they haven't been much this season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought the sell on was more than 15%?

Hibs get 15%, but have to pay 30% of that to St Mirren.

Basically, Hibs get 10.5% and St Mirren get 4.5% of any fee received by Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    40 million and West Ham/Villa is about McGinns level. He isn't a better player than Rice for example. Hes a decent player, no doubt, but I think hes hit his ceiling a bit.

Leicester (Tielemans, Ndidi) and Everton (Allan, Doucoure) both have better midfields when the players are fit, which in fairness they haven't been much this season.
    Fair point. DVB is technically better than all of those guys but can't get a game. I think Mcginn would be brilliant for Man U, in a similar way to Darren Fletcher was.

Not the most technically gifted player they can afford but his mentality, physicality and other attributes more than make up for it

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Van Der Beek
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Donny Van de Beek the young Dutch lad.
    Ta.
    DVDB then

Yep, agree with this. McGinn's a good player who's adapted well to the EPL, but I'm not convinced he's a better player than Rice, and Leicester, for example, wouldn't really need him to improve the midfield they've got.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    They’re not a far bigger club than West Ham. Everton would be a step up too. So would Leicester.

Last time Villa finished above West Ham was 2012/13.
    You are wrong. Hammers finished above Villa that season.
    Last edited by Baader; 18-04-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Man Utd should go for him

Better than matic an van de beek. Might no be first eleven but I reckon he’s capable.

£££££

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

Better than matic an van de beek. Might no be first eleven but I reckon he’s capable.

£££££
    Completely different player to matic, and he isn't better. Not sure about van de beek, he was excellent with ajax but hasn't really had a chance at utd, to say mcginn is better is a big shout

£££££
    Matic on his best day is easily better. A very good player. Van de beek is class and will go somewhere else and show it. No idea why united signed him and don't give him chances.

Matic on his best day is easily better. A very good player. Van de beek is class and will go somewhere else and show it. No idea why united signed him and don't give him chances.
    Mcginn is a far better player than vd Beek.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Hes really not. Perhaps this season while van de beek has hardly played but at Ajax he was excellent. United was a very bad move for him.

I love Mcginn like we all do but he's found his level at villa. Good mid table Premier league player.

@hibs.net private member
    Van Der Beek has played in a Champions League semi final and was in a 30 man shortlist for the Ballon D'Or.

He's won the Dutch league and played in the Europa League final. He's also a couple years younger than John.

I love McGinn but Van Der Beek is comfortably a better player, despite his issues this season.

Nah. Is he better? Possibly at some parts of the game, others Van Den Beek is better.

They are both good players, neither are world class or ever will be, and I'd say that are roughly the same level. McGinn is certainly not "far" better.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Van Der Beek has played in a Champions League semi final and was in a 30 man shortlist for the Ballon D'Or.

He's won the Dutch league and played in the Europa League final. He's also a couple years younger than John.

I love McGinn but Van Der Beek is comfortably a better player, despite his issues this season.

Different players, DVB plays in the hole behind the striker and McGinn is your typical b2b, Van de Beek's problem is the form of Fernandes and Pogba so his game time has been limited.

He may or may not be better but it’s what other premiership managers think of him that matters. Sjm would be perfect for Utd or arsenal and could be a Darren fletcher type signing for them. If west ham do bid that amount it could lead to higher bids. It wouldn’t shock anybody if sjm didn’t go for £50m plus. Remember that Fred cost around that mark. It will be a very very interesting transfer window.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

If they did a straight swap I think it would be Manchester United that would be far happier.

If Mcginn was sold tomorrow it would be for significantly more than the Dutch boy.

I remember having similar arguments with people when comparing Mcginn with Ntcham. People laughed when I said Mcginn was better because Ntcham cost X million and played for France under 21s.

SJM has been a brilliant premier league player for a good while now, the Dutch boy has looked like he can’t cut it.

If McGinn was French, German or Brazilian there wouldn’t even be this argument IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    If they did a straight swap I think it would be Manchester United that would be far happier.

If Mcginn was sold tomorrow it would be for significantly more than the Dutch boy.

I remember having similar arguments with people when comparing Mcginn with Ntcham. People laughed when I said Mcginn was better because Ntcham cost X million and played for France under 21s.

SJM has been a brilliant premier league player for a good while now, the Dutch boy has looked like he can’t cut it.

If McGinn was French, German or Brazilian there wouldn’t even be this argument IMO.
    I agree with the last point about nationality.

I'd counter that however and suggest that we are possibly also a little biased when it comes to McGinn because he's a Hibs legend. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, he certainly is that but would he be raved about as much on here if he was English, had never played for Hibs and Villa had signed him from a lower Championship club in England?
    Last edited by Since90+2; 18-04-2021 at 09:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

I'd counter that however and suggest that we are possibly also a little biased when it comes to McGinn because he's a Hibs legend. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, he certainly is that but would he be raved about as much on here if he was English, had never played for Hibs and Villa had signed him from a lower Championship club in England?
    We wouldn’t be raving about him but the Villa fans and neutral pundits still would be.

He’s a very very good player and has stood out in the Premiership as being so, the fact he once played for us doesn’t make us biased in saying that, it’s just true.

We wouldn’t be raving about him but the Villa fans and neutral pundits still would be.

He’s a very very good player and has stood out in the Premiership as being so, the fact he once played for us doesn’t make us biased in saying that, it’s just true.
    Possibly, but I do think there is perhaps some unconscious bias at times with him.

There's been posts on here suggesting he could be sold for 70 or 80 million. That's never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

There are some who are massively bias. He is probably been about Villas 6th or 7th best player this season, maybe. He isn't going to Man United or Arsenal.

The guy Bissouma from Brighton has been a real quality player this season, he'll get a big move this summer and I don't think that is because of a bias towards players from Mali.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    If McGinn wants to win anything else in his career he will need to move on.

Probably too soon just now but he’s a smart guy and will make the move at some point.

I’d be confident if you asked all premier league managers McGinn, or der beek McGinn would win the vote fairly comfortably.

Purely cause he is proved himself in that league now and prob could be at top 8 club in England.

Anyway time to sell villa :-)

How much do we get if SJM gets sold and how does that differ percentage wise? What scenario do St Mirren get anything and is it appearance based?

😉🙃

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    How much do we get if SJM gets sold and how does that differ percentage wise? What scenario do St Mirren get anything and is it appearance based?

😉🙃
    A signed villa top and saints get 50% profit after tax

Coaching Staff
    I’d be confident if you asked all premier league managers McGinn, or der beek McGinn would win the vote fairly comfortably.

Purely cause he is proved himself in that league now and prob could be at top 8 club in England.

Anyway time to sell villa :-)
    Depends what question you are asking.

Van de Beek played at a brilliant level at Ajax but has gone to the wrong team at the wrong time.

If you are asking which of the two they’d take I suspect Van De Beek would be the choice for most of them.

Van de Beek could probably still go to a top European team in any league. Suspect McGinn would not be at that level of clubs looking at him.

McGinn has clearly had a better season because he is playing for his team. Utd have found a midfield that they pretty much stick with particularly for bigger games. Pogba even tends to be moved forward as a result. McGinn wouldn’t be playing for them either.

I hope he does for our sake but I’m not sure anymore that McGinn has another upward move to go.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

I hope he does for our sake but I’m not sure anymore that McGinn has another upward move to go.
    That may or may not be the case, but a move doesn't have to be upwards to cost silly money.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

If someone excels at their job and earns rave reviews then they've certainly not 'found their level' or 'hit the ceiling'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    If someone excels at their job and earns rave reviews then they've certainly not 'found their level' or 'hit the ceiling'.

I agree, that's why Grealish, Konsa, Watkins, Martinez etc from Villa will move on. Mcginn hasn't been as good as those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    Not this season I don't think he's had rave reviews. I had a read of the villa forum and quite a few posters were saying they should be looking to improve and McGinn a squad player next season.

They comments may or may not be justified, I don't watch Villa all that often to comment fully, but the idea that he is fantastic event week and on the verge of a move to one of England's biggest clubs seems to be a bit ott.

@hibs.net private member

I'd put my neck out here and say if Van Der Beek and McGinn move this summer VDB would end up at the bigger club. He was linked with Real Madrid previously. McGinn is a very good player but I'd be gobsmacked if he was on the radar of top clubs around Europe. VDB has made a bad move but will probably find himself at Juventus, Barca etc. He is younger than John and has already won more than SJM probably ever will.

In terms of bias, I would also suggest if SJM was playing in Spain, Germany, Italy etc we wouldn't be talking about him being a £40m player. The money in England is so crazy (McBurnie went for £20m) that good players are prices x4 what they would be in other leagues in Europe. A player of John's ability at say Celta Vigo (11th in Spain, same position as Villa) would be going for nowhere near £40m.