hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will support any club that SJM goes to. Literally any club given he wouldn’t go to any of the cretinous clubs like Huns/Millwall/Hertz
    Celtic...

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Not this season I don't think he's had rave reviews. I had a read of the villa forum and quite a few posters were saying they should be looking to improve and McGinn a squad player next season.

They comments may or may not be justified, I don't watch Villa all that often to comment fully, but the idea that he is fantastic event week and on the verge of a move to one of England's biggest clubs seems to be a bit ott.
    Agree with this to a certain extent. McGinn seems to have struggled when Grealish has been out injured and the Villa midfield has lacked creativity and SJM hasn't really stepped up.

I think to get the best out of McGinn you've got to be aware of his strengths and weaknesses and play to his strengths. For me, he's not skillful or creative enough to be an attacking midfielder and he's not composed enough on the ball or a good enough passer to be a defensive or holding midfielder.

What he has his is amazing energy, drive, determination and strength and he's got good ability to back that up. For me, that makes him one of the best box to box midfielders in world football. Pair him with a good attacking and defensive midfielder and he'd improve any team, including Man Utd and Liverpool. Expect him to be your source of creativity or to sit and hold and he will disappoint.

Despite his goals for Scotland, I don't think Clarke has got the best out of him yet and he flits between holding him back or playing him too far forward.

To me that detracts from his greatest attributes - getting around the pitch. As a basketball coach once said about Dennis Rodman, you don't put a saddle on a mustang!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Agree with this to a certain extent. McGinn seems to have struggled when Grealish has been out injured and the Villa midfield has lacked creativity and SJM hasn't really stepped up.

I think to get the best out of McGinn you've got to be aware of his strengths and weaknesses and play to his strengths. For me, he's not skillful or creative enough to be an attacking midfielder and he's not composed enough on the ball or a good enough passer to be a defensive or holding midfielder.

What he has his is amazing energy, drive, determination and strength and he's got good ability to back that up. For me, that makes him one of the best box to box midfielders in world football. Pair him with a good attacking and defensive midfielder and he'd improve any team, including Man Utd and Liverpool. Expect him to be your source of creativity or to sit and hold and he will disappoint.

Despite his goals for Scotland, I don't think Clarke has got the best out of him yet and he flits between holding him back or playing him too far forward.

To me that detracts from his greatest attributes - getting around the pitch. As a basketball coach once said about Dennis Rodman, you don't put a saddle on a mustang!

A lot of what you say here is sensible enough but John McGinn is not one of the top box to box midfield players in world football.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    A lot of what you say here is sensible enough but John McGinn is not one of the top box to box midfield players in world football.
    Yeah, maybe got a wee bit carried away. Would like to see him in a top team to see how he does.

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Yeah, maybe got a wee bit carried away. Would like to see him in a top team to see how he does.

I would argue he's not even the best midfielder in the Scotland squad at the moment.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I would argue he's not even the best midfielder in the Scotland squad at the moment.
    In terms of goal scoring he is.

When strikers aren't scoring you need midfielders to chip in.

His goals have been invaluable over the last couple of years.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I bet he’s the first name on the team sheet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I'd say he's there or thereabouts. As much to do with his ability and the current trend of very few box to box midfielders in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    He's certainly one of the first I'd imagine.

Scott Mctominay is probably a better player than him though. That's no slight on McGinn as he's a good player himself.

Any player is only worth what any suitors will pay. Mcburnie going for nearly £20m proves that. We all have our opinions on players but it's what a potential buyer sees in him and what he brings to a team and he looks ideal for Man U or arsenal and also spurs. If Grealish doesn’t go then sjm could well be on the move if villa get a high enough bid. Let the speculation run riot.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 19-04-2021 at 01:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    West Ham would be a poor move for John, as soon as fans are allowed back in to stadiums they will be back to bottom half as per usual.

There is far more potential at Leeds, SJM would suit Bielsa's style too.

What an absolutely cracking player he's developed into, he's gone from strength to strength and deserves 100% another big move. Seems like a really decent, down to earth lad as well so good on him and i'll continue to follow his career with great interest and wish him every success

Makes you laugh at Celtic though. What a player they could have landed if they hadn't been doing their usual and tryna play funny buggers and short change another Scottish club for a prize asset. More fool them and a much better move for John to go down South and cut it with the big boys which he ahs more than done!

Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    West Ham would be a poor move for John, as soon as fans are allowed back in to stadiums they will be back to bottom half as per usual.

There is far more potential at Leeds, SJM would suit Bielsa's style too.
    Potential in terms of the club? There’s no way Leeds have more potential than West Ham. When you think in terms of location, fan base, stadium size, the money they save on their stadium compared to the rest of the league, current standing in the league.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    I think Villa will price out anyone that wants McGinn for as long as they stay in the Premier League.
    If they're sensible they won't be in any hurry to sell SJM because quite simply they will struggle to fill his boots. Hopefully some day though that ship will come in and Hibs will enjoy a handsome pay day. (And St Mirren!)

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Potential in terms of the club? There’s no way Leeds have more potential than West Ham. When you think in terms of location, fan base, stadium size, the money they save on their stadium compared to the rest of the league, current standing in the league.
    Leeds are a far bigger club with a fanbase that West Ham would kill for.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    To be honest I don't think there's much between them. Everton, Leeds, West Ham there are a few English clubs who are much of a muchness in terms of their bigglieness.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm hoping he gets two moves but because SJM is very loyal and also seems to plan his career and next steps carefully then I expect there will only be one. West Ham may get into the Champions League this year but it will be something that seldom happens. I get the feeling SJM will want a club that plays in the CL every year and with talks of super leagues players will be wanting to play on that stage so will want a move to one of those 6 teams. SJM is more than capable of performing at that level and I am hoping he stays at Villa one more Year, has a great Euros and then goes to one of the Super Six who will be able to pay a massive premium for players

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Nonsense.

Do West Ham not have 50 odd thousand season ticket holders? Leeds would struggle to match that

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Do West Ham not have 50 odd thousand season ticket holders? Leeds would struggle to match that
    Actually, I'm not sure they would struggle other than social distancing might be a bit tricky as Elland Road holds less than 40k. 😁

Seriously though, it's virtually impossible to get a ticket to a Leeds game and their 23k season tickets are alway sold out.

Although Sheffield United and Wednesday would try to dispute it, Leeds are probably the biggest club in Yorkshire which has the same population as Scotland.

I don't think they'd have too much difficulty doubling their ST numbers.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Yeah it's quality of fans not quantity, we know this from the 400,000 season ticket holders at Tynecastle...

I don't think they would to be honest.

The Leeds metropolitan area has a population of 2.5 million and it's a one team city in an area that is likely to be fairly football mad.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    plans are quite advanced for the capacity at Elland Road increased to 50k with a rebuild of the West Stand

Leeds fans were voted last year in the top four of best club fans in england

Newcastle/Villa/Liverpool/Leeds, they give their teams tremendous backing

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Yup still our most important player along with Tierney

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Scores v Man City 💵

Love him.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Villa have built a very, very good young team. I'm not sure SJM will want to leave. He will be looking at the team and along with Grealish and Konsa thinking they can push on even further. Just my opinion, albeit very biased(Villa and Hibs)

Liverpool,. Man U or Spurs if Brenda goes there

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    Villa have built a very, very good young team. I'm not sure SJM will want to leave. He will be looking at the team and along with Grealish and Konsa thinking they can push on even further. Just my opinion, albeit very biased(Villa and Hibs)
    Grealish may be a stick on to leave this summer, might make him reconsider.
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post
    Grealish may be a stick on to leave this summer, might make him reconsider.

Where’s he going?

Villa fan, living the dream. Villa would want £££ for Grealish and I don’t know who would offer that.