hibs.net Messageboard

Page 78 of 423 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 12675
    First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wikipedia makes it 17 goals in 4.5 years including 8 goals in 16 appearances for Kilmarnock in the first half of the 2018/19 season
    I looked at Wikipedia too: 4 for Aberdeen, 8 for Killie, 3 for the Rangers: 15 league goals in total, as I said. The other 2 goals you mention are in cup competitions. He's hardly been prolific, much less so than McNulty, for instance, and I wouldn't want him back at ER.

2. Log in to remove the advert

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    15 league goals in 5 years since leaving Dundee. A hard "no" from me.
    Especially at 31, don't like those signings. If it was a player in his mid twenties then sure.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I’d really like us to cast our net further afield than just Scotland or people who have played here before.

The prospect of the likes of Devlin, Stewart, Mcmann (the boy from Hamilton, think that’s his name) and others like him would probably all do a job but aren’t exactly getting the juices flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    I looked at Wikipedia too: 4 for Aberdeen, 8 for Killie, 3 for the Rangers: 15 league goals in total, as I said. The other 2 goals you mention are in cup competitions. He's hardly been prolific, much less so than McNulty, for instance, and I wouldn't want him back at ER.
    Leigh Griffiths has only scored 26 league goals in the last 4 seasons. Do you still want him?
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 09-06-2021 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericd7 View Post
    Especially at 31, don't like those signings. If it was a player in his mid twenties then sure.
    So you won't want 5 months younger, Leigh Griffiths

Leigh Griffiths has only scored 26 league goals in the last 4 seasons. Do you still want him?
    no

'S' Form
    So you won't want 5 months younger, Leigh Griffiths
    I don't want him honestly. There's just too many issues there for me. I'd rather we put that wage towards someone with resale value down the line.

I don't want him honestly. There's just too many issues there for me. I'd rather we put that wage towards someone with resale value down the line.
    I don't think we will sign him as I'm not convinced he is Jack Ross's type of player, i.e., too much hassle, but give me match winning goals over re-sale value any day of the week

Greg Stewart would be a Jamie Murphy style backwards signing. We should focus our resources on players 26 and under so we can nurture them and get sell on value. Murphy won’t be cheap, isn’t a starter and has fitness issues - we are in no position to move him on. Unless it is a special player like Griffiths, I don’t like us gambling on old firm outcasts who are past their prime.

Meanwhile Aberdeen are looking to the MLS and are close to signing a USA international. I would love us to cast the net a bit wider, like the Stubbs and Lennon era and look to bring in your Marcianos, MacLarens, Malongas etc. We seem a bit too focused on the UK and especially the Scottish market since Hecky and Ross joined. Maybe it is Mathie and the scouting team that are too narrow minded and hesitant to look in other markets.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Griffiths has said that his first choice is to remain at Parkhead, despite them not taking up the extension. If they offer him a new contract, it will be on a vastly reduced wage but probably more than any other Scottish club will match. He will probably be hanging on to that hope until the present bosses and the new manager decide his fate.
    This certainly clarifies the situation re.Griffiths.
    In recent interviews with players who’ve served under Postecoglou,they all say the same thing,”he’s a hard nut who doesn’t suffer fools gladly”.
    Anyone who doesn’t buy into his philosophy doesn’t get to hang around him for long.
    Its highly likely that once he’s had a chance to study Griffiths somewhat chequered history at Celtic Postecoglou won’t be asking him to hang about long.
    This would free up Griffiths,and give rise to the question as to whether Hibs are really serious about acquiring him.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I really should take offence at that but given that almost every one spells my name wrong I not; it isn't even a particularly uncommon surname.
    Derick Dick isn’t that much of an uncommon name

I don't get the fuss around Stewart. Didn't particularly worry me when he played for Aberdeen. We've surely got to be looking at better? He'd be warming the bench every week.
    Last edited by Since452; 09-06-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    Greg Stewart would be a Jamie Murphy style backwards signing. We should focus our resources on players 26 and under so we can nurture them and get sell on value. Murphy won’t be cheap, isn’t a starter and has fitness issues - we are in no position to move him on. Unless it is a special player like Griffiths, I don’t like us gambling on old firm outcasts who are past their prime.

Meanwhile Aberdeen are looking to the MLS and are close to signing a USA international. I would love us to cast the net a bit wider, like the Stubbs and Lennon era and look to bring in your Marcianos, MacLarens, Malongas etc. We seem a bit too focused on the UK and especially the Scottish market since Hecky and Ross joined. Maybe it is Mathie and the scouting team that are too narrow minded and hesitant to look in other markets.
    Or maybe they see that as the best route to get players to come and hit the ground running. Look at the boy Aberdeen signed for about 1m hardly played and gone but came from abroad with good pedigree. Do I need to remind you of Omeonga under the same Mathie approach which shows we will look at players in other leagues. To say it’s a narrow minded is unfair IMO.

I'll take the goals LG would bring with him....

The thing with LG is he is guaranteed to get us some goals. He might not come in and bang in 20 goals but I would be very confident he'd be getting atleast 10 or so.

Depending on what his wage demands are that would be up for debate whether that's value for money.

What are the numerous issues with Leigh Griffiths that some people allude to and what kind of hassle would he cause?

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    What are the numerous issues with Leigh Griffiths that some people allude to and what kind of hassle would he cause?
    They’ve been well documented in the past few years to be honest, let’s not pretend they don’t exist.

His lack of fitness was flagged up by Lennon on a few occasions and there were issues (won’t speculate) which made him take some time away from football that he’s openly admitted himself.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post

Thanks to Brexit it's going to be much harder for us to cast a wide net for players as anyone coming from outside the UK will now need a Sportsperson Visa in order to come and play for us. The criteria for this is "elite sportspeople and coaches who are internationally established at the highest level and whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level in the UK, and who will base themselves in the UK."

We could devote significant resources into identifying, scouting and negotiating terms with a player only to see their visa application rejected because they don't meet this criteria. It used to only be a factor if you were recruiting from outside of the EU but now its any non-UK based player that is subject to this and the additional work and cost it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    They’ve been well documented in the past few years to be honest, let’s not pretend they don’t exist.

His lack of fitness was flagged up by Lennon on a few occasions and there were issues (won’t speculate) which made him take some time away from football that he’s openly admitted himself.
    He previosuly had time out for mental health reasons and reportedly wasn't fit at the start of this season. Those things certainly did happen. I'm just wondering what the current issues are.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    Google is your friend.

Griffiths has said that his first choice is to remain at Parkhead, despite them not taking up the extension. If they offer him a new contract, it will be on a vastly reduced wage but probably more than any other Scottish club will match. He will probably be hanging on to that hope until the present bosses and the new manager decide his fate.
    With Edouard reportedly close to leaving for around £18m they might want to keep onto Leigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    He fits the Jack Ross/Ross Jack preference for players with reversible first and surnames though so we may sign him 😁
    Superb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    With Edouard reportedly close to leaving for around £18m they might want to keep onto Leigh.
    Definitely. And they’ve got him by the short and curlies. They’ll get him to stay on a vastly reduced wage which is huge compared to any other Scottish club.

@hibs.net private member
    Definitely. And they’ve got him by the short and curlies. They’ll get him to stay on a vastly reduced wage which is huge compared to any other Scottish club.
    It’s an option of a year extension of his current terms I can’t see them wanting to carry on paying that

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    It’s an option of a year extension of his current terms I can’t see them wanting to carry on paying that
    As far as I’m aware they didn’t trigger that
    Could still offer him something on reduced terms though, if the new Manager wants him in

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    They didn’t take up that option if the rumours are true. That had to be taken up by last week so I suppose Leigh is, in theory, a free agent.

There’s nothing to stop Celtic going back though and saying “we’ll give you £8k a week rather than the £20k a week you were getting” and it’ll still be the best Griffiths will get in Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    They didn’t take up that option if the rumours are true. That had to be taken up by last week so I suppose Leigh is, in theory, a free agent.

There’s nothing to stop Celtic going back though and saying “we’ll give you £8k a week rather than the £20k a week you were getting” and it’ll still be the best Griffiths will get in Scotland.
    Totally agree but is a one year deal of 8k with Celtc better than 4K a week 3 year contract with another club?

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    Google is your friend.
    Cheers. I've heard of Google but the answers aren't available there, which is why I was hoping anyone who has mentioned the issues and hassle might be able to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post

Sounds like more of a reason to sign him up, to be honest. Bring him back home, make him feel welcome, make him feel wanted, let him play out the rest of his career at the club he loves.