hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 423 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Liam Kelly + £2.5m ish might do it
    Last edited by 04Sauzee; 30-04-2021 at 12:18 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think it was the centre half Edwards rather than Mcnulty who scored the headed goal in that game.
    Your right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Better player than English Championship level. I see Dykes is attracting interest of a few EPL sides. Wonder what sort of sum on money will be offered for him? We should use that as a benchmark for any offers for Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Better player than English Championship level. I see Dykes is attracting interest of a few EPL sides. Wonder what sort of sum on money will be offered for him? We should use that as a benchmark for any offers for Kevin.
    Porteous is nowhere near English Premier League standard at the minute. He may be in a few years but at the moment he'd struggle.

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    ​a
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    The same McGinn that has been one of our most consistent and best performers?
    Absolutely agree with this. Everyone has been lavishing praise on young Doig (rightly so) but McGinn has also been outstanding for us this season, either as a RB or RWB. His cross for Doidge’s goal on Saturday was sublime, he’s also chipped in with a few goals including that absolute belter at Hamilton. I’ve been really impressed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Porteous is nowhere near English Premier League standard at the minute. He may be in a few years but at the moment he'd struggle.
    Neither was Van Dyke according to the press down south.
    He would walk into the promoted teams no problem. He should be aiming higher than the championship.

Neither was Van Dyke according to the press down south.
    He would walk into the promoted teams no problem. He should be aiming higher than the championship.
    Van Dijk is on another footballing planet to Porteous, I'm not sure that's a very good example to use. He was clearly the best player in Scotland when he played here.

It's debatable whether or not Porteous is even the best centre half at Hibs at the moment.

@hibs.net private member
    Shane Duffy played in the EPL for 3 seasons......give me Ryan over him any day!

Van Dijk is on another footballing planet to Porteous, I'm not sure that's a very good example to use. He was clearly the best player in Scotland when he played here.

It's debatable whether or not Porteous is even the best centre half at Hibs at the moment.
    Van Dijk when he moved from Celtic the press said he only looked good because he was playing in Scotland. I think Ryan would be fine in a promoted side and would develop in that side. Some people on this site didn't think SJM was our best midfielder.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 30-04-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Van Dijk when he moved from Celtic the press said he only looked good because he was playing in Scotland. I think Ryan would be fine in a promoted side and would develop in that side.
    I'm not sure that's correct to be honest. Did Celtic not get about £13 million for him? He was very highly rated and signed for an established Premier League team. What press is it you are referring to?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Van Dijk when he moved from Celtic the press said he only looked good because he was playing in Scotland. I think Ryan would be fine in a promoted side and would develop in that side.
    The big thing in Ryan’s favour moving to a higher level, is he’s an excellent footballer, really comfortable on the ball
    The higher up the leagues you go, the more the ball is played on the ground, and this will suit Ryan

Good lord. Ryan is good but he's 1/10 th the player Van Dijk is ffs.

If he would walk into a promoted side, he'd be at one of those sides. He is no secret at this point.

I'm not sure that's correct to be honest. Did Celtic not get about £13 million for him? He was very I highly rated and signed for an established Premier League team. What press is it you are referring to?
    There were a number of journalists questioning the price tag for a player from the Scottish league and he would be found out down south. Was not comparing him to Van Dijk.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 30-04-2021 at 07:14 PM.

if Hibs win the Scottish Cup and thus qualify to play in Europe until at least Christmas we should hold onto all our saleable assets until at least that window.

As for Porteous, no need to sell him yet. He has cut out the mad challenges and associated injuries this season and in the last month has been concentrating far better and has stopped making daft mistakes. If he can keep it going he will have closed out his last big weakness. Then play consistently well until Christmas he would be worth £3 million in the January window.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 30-04-2021 at 07:29 PM.

I'm not sure that's correct to be honest. Did Celtic not get about £13 million for him? He was very highly rated and signed for an established Premier League team. What press is it you are referring to?
    Van Dijk did not win his first international cap until he joined Southampton.

Van Dijk did not win his first international cap until he joined Southampton.
    And?

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Liam Kelly + £2.5m ish might do it
    Liam Kelly? Surely not

Porteous isn't there yet but he has the potential to improve, so I'd expect any deal for him to have all the usual clauses in place so we can benefit if he does the business for his next club. It wouldn't need to be a meteoric rise for him to settle at that level, improve a wee bit and all of a sudden be worth a fortune. He's not in the same league as McGinn but he's got greater potential than the likes of Cummings and I could definitely see him developing into a good player.

I'm not convinced he's going to get all that much better playing for us in Scottish football though.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Shane Duffy played in the EPL for 3 seasons......give me Ryan over him any day!
    This still makes me laugh.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGW46ReFEIQ

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Porteous isn't there yet but he has the potential to improve, so I'd expect any deal for him to have all the usual clauses in place so we can benefit if he does the business for his next club. It wouldn't need to be a meteoric rise for him to settle at that level, improve a wee bit and all of a sudden be worth a fortune. He's not in the same league as McGinn but he's got greater potential than the likes of Cummings and I could definitely see him developing into a good player.

I'm not convinced he's going to get all that much better playing for us in Scottish football though.
    Celtic need to rebuild and a lot of Celtic fans rate Ryan. He would be better joining them than QPR,won't improve playing in English Championship. I think if he spent another season with us playing in Europe that would benefit him more than the English championship or if Celtic offered a sensible fee he would improve as he would get European football with them.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This still makes me laugh.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGW46ReFEIQ
    Ryan has done that a few times

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    if Hibs win the Scottish Cup and thus qualify to play in Europe until at least Christmas we should hold onto all our saleable assets until at least that window.

As for Porteous, no need to sell him yet. He has cut out the mad challenges and associated injuries this season and in the last month has been concentrating far better and has stopped making daft mistakes. If he can keep it going he will have closed out his last big weakness. Then play consistently well until Christmas he would be worth £3 million in the January window.
    I’d love it if this was the case. Can’t see it though.

I think all parties will have already been given assurances that if a suitable bid comes in to an agreed value then Hibs won’t stand in their way.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Nice one, talking up one of our best young players 👍🏻

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Nice one, talking up one of our best young players 👍🏻
    He has done it a few times though to be fair. He still has a lot to learn, would he improve more with a move or stay with us, who knows? I hope he hangs around for another season personally.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    So, Celtic have until Midnight tonight to trigger an extra year for Griffiths right? Should find out soon what his script is then.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    So, Celtic have until Midnight tonight to trigger an extra year for Griffiths right? Should find out soon what his script is then.
    Not so sure. Nothing to stop them not taking up that option but then, at a later date, offering him a deal on reduced terms that would still be a lot more than anyone else in Scotland could offer.

Don’t think much will become clear until they have a new manager.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1969 View Post
    ​a
    Absolutely agree with this. Everyone has been lavishing praise on young Doig (rightly so) but McGinn has also been outstanding for us this season, either as a RB or RWB. His cross for Doidge’s goal on Saturday was sublime, he’s also chipped in with a few goals including that absolute belter at Hamilton. I’ve been really impressed with him.
    Agree with your point but don't think he's played at wing back once this season. All his games have been right back in a four or right centre half in a three.

You young guys don't look beyond the end of your nose before hitting out
    You quote post #171 on this thread but didn't notice post #164 where I praise Ryan highly.
    Have a look.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 30-04-2021 at 09:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Not so sure. Nothing to stop them not taking up that option but then, at a later date, offering him a deal on reduced terms that would still be a lot more than anyone else in Scotland could offer.

Yeah very true.

Though be a bit of a slap in the face and Celtic effectively saying we don't think you were worth keeping on that wage. Take half it instead. Still, much more than we could offer, as your rightly point out.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

I agree, but technically if Celtic haven't taken up the option he is free to sign a pre contract as of today.

I think Celtic will try and get him to sign a deal on reduced terms, it will however be more than he can get anywhere else in Scotland.