hibs.net Messageboard

Page 51 of 423 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 12675
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im not convinced anybody will bid what we want for Nisbet.
    We have that modern day conundrum of a player who probably wants a move and a club who want the best deal possible for themselves. What would you reckon HIbs would expect for him?

Personally, I'm not convinced that Nisbet would be effective in the English championship. His all round play and dynamism would need upped a few levels. The goal scoring instinct is there though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Bring him home
    Yes and the cumdog too! Time for some fun at ER!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    We have that modern day conundrum of a player who probably wants a move and a club who want the best deal possible for themselves. What would you reckon HIbs would expect for him?

Personally, I'm not convinced that Nisbet would be effective in the English championship. His all round play and dynamism would need upped a few levels. The goal scoring instinct is there though.
    I think Hibs are looking to close to £3m for him based entirely on speculation In January.

I’m not as convinced by him as many and although there’s times he looks class there’s a lot of games that pass him by.

This is maybe the cup final talking but I wouldn’t be bothered in the slightest if he’s here next season, especially if we are getting upwards of £2.5m for him.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    I think Hibs are looking to close to £3m for him based entirely on speculation In January.

I’m not as convinced by him as many and although there’s times he looks class there’s a lot of games that pass him by.

This is maybe the cup final talking but I wouldn’t be bothered in the slightest if he’s here next season, especially if we are getting upwards of £2.5m for him.
    He scored a lot of goals this season tbf mate. That’s his job

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

This is where i am

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    He scored a lot of goals this season tbf mate. That’s his job
    I know.

Just my opinion though.

If I’m a scout, and I’m not, I’m not watching him for 6 months last season snd reporting back that he’s a £3m player. As you say though, he’s scored the goals so others who know better than me may disagree, I’m just not convinced we will get any big offers for him.

For a player who has scored a lot of goals for us in a team that has - on paper - done pretty well, I'm strangely struggling to take to him.

There's just a sense of the attitude problem about him from me.

We should be able to get a reasonable amount for him based on the goals he's scored and potential, and invested properly I'm convinced we'd be better off.

He's been a successful signing but he can't play up front on his own, we struggle a bit to find a formation that allows us to play him and Doidge together and I prefer Doidge every day of the week.

Can't quite put my finger on it.

FWIW - as good a player as Griffiths is, I think there's a whiff of trouble about him too. It should be a "no brainer" that we sign him based on how well he did for us before and the natural ability he has, but he's had more than a few problems at Celtic and I'd be concerned he might have more of the same with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    For a player who has scored a lot of goals for us in a team that has - on paper - done pretty well, I'm strangely struggling to take to him.

There's just a sense of the attitude problem about him from me.

We should be able to get a reasonable amount for him based on the goals he's scored and potential, and invested properly I'm convinced we'd be better off.

He's been a successful signing but he can't play up front on his own, we struggle a bit to find a formation that allows us to play him and Doidge together and I prefer Doidge every day of the week.

Can't quite put my finger on it.

FWIW - as good a player as Griffiths is, I think there's a whiff of trouble about him too. It should be a "no brainer" that we sign him based on how well he did for us before and the natural ability he has, but he's had more than a few problems at Celtic and I'd be concerned he might have more of the same with us.
    Regarding the last paragraph i suspect Ross may think similar.

He strikes me as someone that’s a student of the game and wants good professionals in the changing room who want to learn. That may be Griffiths but I don’t think that’s the perception of him.

I think he may have concerns about him being a bit of a distraction to the group.

We appear to be targeting the Scottish market mainly though and there isn’t many other obvious candidates apart from Griffiths so he might decide he’s worth the risk.

@hibs.net private member
    Nesbit is an international striker who has scored goals at every level he’s played at. Hibs will struggle to replace him when he goes but LG could fill the gap but only if he’s physically and mentally fit

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Nesbit is an international striker who has scored goals at every level he’s played at. Hibs will struggle to replace him when he goes but LG could fill the gap but only if he’s physically and mentally fit
    Not international level he’s not 😜

If he starts to score international goals against semi decent sides I’ll change my mind as clubs will take punts based on that.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Regarding the last paragraph i suspect Ross may think similar.

He strikes me as someone that’s a student of the game and wants good professionals in the changing room who want to learn. That may be Griffiths but I don’t think that’s the perception of him.

I think he may have concerns about him being a bit of a distraction to the group.

We appear to be targeting the Scottish market mainly though and there isn’t many other obvious candidates apart from Griffiths so he might decide he’s worth the risk.
    The bigger risk may be not signing him and he rips it up elsewhere in the league such as Aberdeen. Would assume Brown will be trying to get him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This is exactly why Aberdeen aren't interested in him. Plus fitness concerns

Blog Entries
    AE5FD312-AE73-4317-9D40-2ED03AC244C2.jpeg AC5B050A-9E1A-4204-B9E5-340495ABDA56.jpg

I knew Celtic were at a Crossroads but I didn’t think they would go to Crossroads to get their new manager. One for the oldies.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    The bigger risk may be not signing him and he rips it up elsewhere in the league such as Aberdeen. Would assume Brown will be trying to get him there.
    Yeah I don’t disagree with that. I’m just not convinced Ross will see it that way.

I still think Griffiths will join Dundee next season. I think he’ll want to go somewhere he will be loved by his manager and McPake will give him that. Suspect they’ll spend a bit as well this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    This is exactly why Aberdeen aren't interested in him. Plus fitness concerns
    Based on what? Aberdeen would take him in a second and still would despite glass comments about him only leaving to go to Hibs

Fit and focused and LG is the best striker in Scotland.

If he signed, fast forward a year....would anyone even blink at him scoring over 30 goals for us?

Comparison to Nisbet are unfair. LG is miles ahead on experience, goal scoring record and big game goals. But Nisbet is young and has it in front of him. He will do well to achieve what LG has but he might better it who knows?

Total no brainer. Get him signed and watch the excitement for next season build very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Fit and focused and LG is the best striker in Scotland.

If he signed, fast forward a year....would anyone even blink at him scoring over 30 goals for us?

Comparison to Nisbet are unfair. LG is miles ahead on experience, goal scoring record and big game goals. But Nisbet is young and has it in front of him. He will do well to achieve what LG has but he might better it who knows?

Total no brainer. Get him signed and watch the excitement for next season build very quickly.
    It's the type of signing that could push ST sales again after the dissapointment of last weekend. Get it done Hibs

A fit and healthy LG would be a great signing. Loves a goal against the ****bos too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    It's the type of signing that could push ST sales again after the dissapointment of last weekend. Get it done Hibs
    It’s also the sort of signing that I could personally see us discussing ina years time that it didn’t really work out as we’d hoped.

GoC and Riordan second spells maybe comparable?

From memory I think both had decent enough individual stats but weren’t in great sides?

I’m not against Griffiths signing, I totally get every argument for him signing. I don’t think Ross will though and I sort of get why not.

It’s also the sort of signing that I could personally see us discussing ina years time that it didn’t really work out as we’d hoped.

From memory I think both had decent enough individual stats but weren’t in great sides?

I’m not against Griffiths signing, I totally get every argument for him signing. I don’t think Ross will though and I sort of get why not.
    If Jack's reasons are the same as yours though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    AE5FD312-AE73-4317-9D40-2ED03AC244C2.jpeg AC5B050A-9E1A-4204-B9E5-340495ABDA56.jpg

I knew Celtic were at a Crossroads but I didn’t think they would go to Crossroads to get their new manager. One for the oldies.
    Isn't that Benny Factor?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Isn't that Benny Factor?
    The key to this one is whether or not Miss Diane will come as his assistant. Useless without her but will celtc pay?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

The fitness Leigh has lacked this season has been match fitness.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

Maybe a change of scenery and circumstances is what LG’s needing to kick start his career

Is still a risk for us as we really need him to hit the ground running but if he gets fit again he’d score a barrel load

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Percy Vere View Post
    Murphy
    Boyle
    Potentially Magennis when he gets going
    Murphy and Boyle can certainly isolate a defender and go past them. I'm talking about when we're still building the attack. McGinn used to do it by getting his body in the way and rolling or bumping the opposite midfielder, and carry the ball from there. Slivka could do it a bit too. It's part of the reason we lose goals from turnover of possession just inside our own half - we get forced into panicked passes when we're pressed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I ask myself, is gambling on Griffith's fitness and well being any riskier, especially considering the potential reward, than offering contracts to guys recovering from serious injury?

My conclusion is that we should be getting him signed up.
    I think that the boost in season ticket sales, and likely additional walk ups, would cover most of his wages.

Personally I don’t think it’s a risk signing Griffiths at all.

Everytime I’ve seen him this season he’s looked a massive threat and fit enough, despite having not played for a lengthy period between each game

He’s kept his head down and other than the fitness issues we hear about there’s not been much else said about him. I can’t help but think Celtic/Lennon chucked him under the bus a bit, they seemed to change their mind every week or so if he was fit enough.

Leigh would be an outstanding signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post

Oi do loikes Miss Diane Oi do .

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Everytime I’ve seen him this season he’s looked a massive threat and fit enough, despite having not played for a lengthy period between each game

He’s kept his head down and other than the fitness issues we hear about there’s not been much else said about him. I can’t help but think Celtic/Lennon chucked him under the bus a bit, they seemed to change their mind every week or so if he was fit enough.

You'd have to think you'd have more chances taking on a player with his ability and straightening him out a bit than taking on a lovely lad with a great attitude and much less ability and trying to get them to improve.

Looking at how little he's played and scored for Celtic in recent seasons though when they have really needed him, I can't accept that his signing would be anything other than a risky one, especially as he'd surely come straight in as one of our top earners.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

I agree. I also think being excluded from the Euro's squad has hurt, and I think he will want to put it right from a personal prospective. He will need to be at a club where he can get regular 1st team minutes to get back in the international fold.