hibs.net Messageboard

Page 17 of 423 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The loss of all four, plus Rocky and Irvine, That would be a serious bit of surgery on this team. The pressure would be on Ross and Hibs to ensure they are replaced by players good enough to maintain the current standard and take the team forward. I can't say that prospect fills me with joy. Endless team in transition scenario beckons.

That said, I can't see all four assets moving on this summer.
    If they want to go they'll go, and I think they all will for various reasons.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Exactly its the usual on here the only solid rumour is Nisbet the rest of folk on here selling off the crown jewels
    Well, not really. There were bids for Porto and Nisbet in January and there have been persistent rumours about Doig going. I don’t think anyone wants to see these players transferred. In fact every post seems to say that they should stay at Hibs and progress their careers.

Out of curiosity which rumour about Nisbet and what makes that more solid than any of the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Sorry buddy. If it's any consolation, that's just my own thoughts rather than a rumour.

Boyle's stock has never been higher but his main asset, his speed, isn't going to be with him for ever and if he wants to secure his financial future, now's probably the time to do it.
    Boyle seems happy where he is to meet...unless the uglies came in for him I don't see him leaving at all tbh - he's in the Oz squad and probably one of our higher earners

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Well, not really. There were bids for Porto and Nisbet in January and there have been persistent rumours about Doig going. I don’t think anyone wants to see these players transferred. In fact every post seems to say that they should stay at Hibs and progress their careers.

Out of curiosity which rumour about Nisbet and what makes that more solid than any of the others?
    The Brentford one this week which seemed fairly realistic- Doig is really just paper talk nothing more imo and he's fairly grounded and I reckon will wanna stay another season at least. As for Boyle I don't see him leaving unless it's a life changing transfer for him and a great deal for us. Do think Porto and Nisbet will be offski - but both are very replaceable imo - we were in a great run of form in Feb when neither could get near the team. So it's all not all doom and gloom for me

The Brentford one this week which seemed fairly realistic- Doig is really just paper talk nothing more imo and he's fairly grounded and I reckon will wanna stay another season at least. As for Boyle I don't see him leaving unless it's a life changing transfer for him and a great deal for us. Do think Porto and Nisbet will be offski - but both are very replaceable imo - we were in a great run of form in Feb when neither could get near the team. So it's all not all doom and gloom for me
    So you see that replacing one of the league’s top scorers and a player who has been a cornerstone of one of the best defences will be easy?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    So you see that replacing one of the league’s top scorers and a player who has been a cornerstone of one of the best defences will be easy?
    Won't be easy at and tbh I never said that I said I though both could be replaced and am confident they would be. I think they are both great players but it's pretty clear their heads were turned massively in Jan and their form has been patchy since. Hope they both play out of their skins for us today and if they win us the Cup they deserve their big moves

There’s no way we can sell Porteous, Doig, Boyle and Nisbet in the same window especially when you consider the following might leave

Ofir Marciano - Out of contract and said he’s leaving
    David Gray - Completely out of favour and wants games
    Tom James - Out of favour and been on loan all season
    Stephen McGinn - Was rarely used and now out on loan
    Jackson Irvine - Out of contract, might want a bigger/more lucrative move
    Melker Hallberg - Not used as regularly as I imagine he would like, don’t know if he will want moved on for more first team action?
    Drey Wright - Similar to Melker and hasn’t set the Heather on fire
    Stevie Mallan - Wanted a loan for more regular football. Can’t see that changing in summer.
    Fraser Murray - Out of favour and out on loan all season
    Jamie Gullan - Played well for Raith but seems similar to Mackay.

I appreciate some never played a big part but there’s a good chance some of them will be moved on too or the club might want offloaded, if the ones in demand all went that would be leaving us with a team of

Dabrowski
    Macey

McGinn
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Mackie

Cadden
    Magennis
    Allan
    Newell
    Gogic
    Mackay
    Jamie Murphy

Doidge
    Bradley
    Shanley

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Its part and parcel of being a club of our size in an undervalued league. We can offer players a fairly comfortable lifestyle, couple of grand a week is not to be sniffed at....what we can't offer is that life changing contract that even an average championship club can. The SPL is also not a bad standard so when a player looks good and we are doing well then we are ripe for the picking.
    For that to change there is so much more needing done, not just at Easter Road, but in the game nationally. Business wise we need to be able to compete with the English second tier, the look and feel of the product must get better......Scottish football as a whole needs stronger USPs outside of just the rather limited 'we have the OF'.
    Debate for another thread though so I'll just shut up for now

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    What makes you think Doig is paper talk and Nisbet isn't?

The Brentford / Nisbet was paper talk in the Sun this week.

Whether folk liked it or not Farmer and Petrie had to sell Brown, Thomson, Whittaker etc because of our debt and to take the old hut down and build the East Stand in it's place. Today we have no debt and the East Stand is still in perfect nick whilst the players sold to pay for it are spent forces with no worth.

This time around with saleable assets we are under no real pressure to sell especially if we can win the Scottish Cup and need a decent sized and good quality squad to compete in Scotland and Europe every Thursday and Sunday for the rest of the year.

Both Nisbet and Doig are on long term contracts. It might be prudent to increase Nisbet's wage in view of his performances. When he came in he stated that as a result of the pandemic he had signed on for a lower wage than he would have received had he signed for us 6 months earlier. We should put that right and some more to prevent resentment in the player.

Porteous despite last weeks brain fart is continuing to progress and that eventually means a bigger transfer fee. As things stand selling Ryan would leave only Hanlon and 36 year old McGregor for next season so would be looking at having to sign 2 centre halfs.

Boyle is our only x factor player, brave and knows the way to goal. Biggest risk to holding Martin is we don't know if there is a low level release clause in the contract he signed last summer ala Cummings. Like Marciano I couldn't resent Martin a good move. He has given us everything this season.

Marciano almost certainly gone given his clear statement and Hibs signing our other 2 keepers to new contracts. A shame but he has given us 5 good years.

Jackson Irvine, good interview on open goal this week. Nice guy, sensible, stable sort. Win the Scottish Cup and I reckon he will sign up for another season. Has done well after not playing for 10 months. A pre season will move him up a level. Would be good if Ross could give him a free box to box role next season. Athlete.

So much of which players stay is riding on us winning the Scottish Cup. European football for the rest of the year would require squad size and quality and would return us a few million quid so no point or need to sell players. Could perhaps sell Porteous in the January window and Nisbet next summer and Doig the summer after that.

Fingers crossed we space the sales out to our own benefit with the cash brought in used to pay for the following seasons player purchases plus the new full size indoor pitch at East Mains.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 08-05-2021 at 11:52 AM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I agree, it’s a serious rebuild we’re facing this summer. In terms of various reasons, three times the wage and a big signing on fee will usually do it.

I suppose this is the way of the modern game. There’s so much money swilling around the big leagues and of course it filters down so that clubs like Hibs can’t even compete with clubs at the top end of the third tier of English football.

I have to say, much of what has become of football sickens me to the core.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs make St Johnstone captain Jason Kerr summer transfer target

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/h...ansfer-target/

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by w pilton hibby View Post

There’s no chance we’re paying £300k for Jason Kerr in the last year of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    There’s no chance we’re paying £300k for Jason Kerr in the last year of his contract.
    If we get him that cheap I’ll be staggered.

Lads only 24 and been very good all season. I happily pay that for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar

£2m for Porteous and £300,000 for Kerr. Yes please.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    If we sell Porto it’s not that unrealistic

I don’t think it’s unrealistic. They’re not gonna sell him for next to nothing.

I’d bit your hand of for Jason Kerr

Offering of mallan / Wright and a bit cash perhaps

Kerr's a good solid pro and has been a mainstay at St Johnstone for the past 2-3 years so has a fair amount experience at this level. if Ryan leaves for around £2m then £300k for Kerr is a great piece of business.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Is Kerr a left or right centre half

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Transfer Market has him as a right footer.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Good Hibby in to the bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He’s right footed Billy. Their other CH is just as good imo. I’d happily take both.

Glad to see we’re behaving like a proper big club and leaking the Kerr story to the Daily Mail just before their semi final.

Would be delighted with that if we sell Porteous

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I’d be lying if I said I know much about Kerr but he seems to be very highly rated.

If we could go out and get guys like Kerr and Campbell on long term deals then we’d be so well positioned to really take advantage of the transitions going on at Aberdeen and Hearts (although with them I’m not sure when it stops being a transition and they’re just absolutely *****.. I think that’s past actually ).

I’d love to see us go out and spend £1m or so in fees on a few players if we win the cup. Go out and get guys like Hendry, Campbell, Jordan Jones, possibly even Shankland. The opportunity for growth would be absolutely huge.

If we sell a few of this seasons squad then I’d be looking for that to be even larger.

Jason Kerr would be a fantastic addition.

Especially for 300k or so if we were to sell Porteous for 2 million or so.

I personally don’t want to see us spending 1 million or so on players though, don’t think we’re at that level yet and we can get players to improve us without paying that much.

I also think the level of pressure that player would be under would be ridiculous and to some would never justify the fee paid.

Some are unhappy about the players we’ve got for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Jason Kerr would be a fantastic addition.

Especially for 300k or so if we were to sell Porteous for 2 million or so.

I personally don’t want to see us spending 1 million or so on players though, don’t think we’re at that level yet and we can get players to improve us without paying that much.

I also think the level of pressure that player would be under would be ridiculous and to some would never justify the fee paid.

Some are unhappy about the players we’ve got for free!
    I would be happy if Hibs reach the stage where we are willing to pay development fees for Scottish players like Campbell this season.
    The development fee for Campbell is reckoned to be £440k. What you get for that is a guy for your first team and someone that you will almost certainly make a profit on. There is very little risk of getting burn't
    Generally these guys are players their clubs would like to keep but have outgrown them. Lewis Ferguson was a previous example.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Stevie Mallan - Wanted a loan for more regular football. Can’t see that changing in summer.
    I actually suspect Mallan will be back with us next season and slightly happier to play a bit part. There will be more games meaning more opportunities for him and I'm not sure the loan move has been brilliant so he's maybe seen the grass isn't greener on the other side.

I'd be happy to have him back and an option on the bench or for some of these games when we need a bit of a threat from midfield.