hibs.net Messageboard

Page 103 of 423 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 12675
    @hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doidge is out of contract next summer, so depends if he wants to stay up here longer
    Any idea if his family is in Scotland with him
    Aw is he...had no idea, we could do with getting him signed up on a longer contract this summer

2. Log in to remove the advert

I’m more concerned about when we sell Nisbet than actually selling him. I really don’t want it to be six or seven weeks down the line with the season already started

He’s comfortably our best striker when he wants to be IMO but he’s only scored six goals for us in 2021. Think it’s in his head that he wants to leave and I don’t think we’ll get the best from him, other than when he fancies it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I’m more concerned about when we sell Nisbet than actually selling him. I really don’t want it to be six or seven weeks down the line with the season already started

He’s comfortably our best striker when he wants to be IMO but he’s only scored six goals for us in 2021. Think it’s in his head that he wants to leave and I don’t think we’ll get the best from him, other than when he fancies it.
    I actually think the interest in him made him believe he was better than he was and he stopped doing the things he was doing so well before the Birmingham bid he was coming very deep and trying to link moves a lot when before he was arriving at the times or picking the ball up 20yards from goal looking for a shot.

It could also have been the time out after Jan took the sting out him I’m aware there was more too it than just a possible inflated opinion of himself

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    With the changes Celtic have made in the Board room and Management Team it could be we see them loosen the purse strings in new Managers first Season or they could be playing catch up with Rangers fir more seasons than would be acceptable to the Fan Base
    Time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it unlikely that any Celtic board would give Hibs the best deal for any of our players ,far better sell down South with sell on clause where we gain more.IMO

Nisbet is a fairly decent player for this level but the speed he's changed clubs recently seems to say he's happy to chase the dosh.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    So even though he’s now scored in an international against a top side, played at the euros, it’s a better time to sell and maximise value, you’d rather we had sold in January for less money? Not sure how that makes any sense. I’m a Hibs supporter, players will come and go, however our job is to maximise our income when the time comes to sell and January wasn’t the time to do so.
    All of which is true and I fully accept from a business point of view, and I realise how important doing good business is from a Hibs point of view. As a fan though I’m all about success on the park.

Last season though was, in my opinion a missed opportunity to do a bit better on the field rather than a roaring success, albeit we weren’t far away. When it comes down to our old favourite “fine margins” we need our best players to be focussed and giving us their best. I don’t think we got that during the second half of the season from some of our better players. That’s why I’m probably quite comfortable with the idea of losing a couple of than I possibly should be, and having a big pile of money to replace them.

I guess we’re weighing up the increase in the amount of money likely generated in these 2 players between January and now with the hypothetical improvement we’d have had with them not playing and someone else in.

And I don’t think we have a hope in hell of these players being interested in playing for Hibs in future, until maybe they’ve gone down South or West and failed and need to rebuild again.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Nisbet’s time at Hibs has been transactional and loveless. Even seeing a Hibs player at the Euros was like that, hoping Hibs get an extra few quid courtesy of the few minutes he got on the park here and there rather than actually wanting any sort of success for “one of our own” which it’s never felt like he is.

With hindsight, I sort of wish he and Porteous had been allowed to leave in January. Whilst there would have been issues with finding replacements, their on-field positive contributions haven’t matched their own inflated opinions of themselves.

It’s weird when they’re both as good as they are (and have the potential to be better still) but I just can’t wait for them to leave, for us to get the money in and for us to get players in who actually give the impression that they’re grateful to be playing for Hibs for a while, even whilst accepting that we’re often nothing more than a stepping stone for good players.

Tin hat on.
    Couldn’t have put it better myself. Nisbet handing in a transfer request after 6 months where his previous clubs were Raith and Dunfermline and subsequently made it into Scotland’s Euro squad. I don’t think he’d have managed that playing for a poor Birmingham side. Not to mention his complete lack of effort in the final, I’d happily see him leave. Extremely overrated
    Last edited by S4uzee; 26-06-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Nisbet is a fairly decent player for this level but the speed he's changed clubs recently seems to say he's happy to chase the dosh.
    Or continue to develop and step up the leagues catching up for lost time when his career went backwards? Not even those who don’t like him can surly blame him for that

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Or continue to develop and step up the leagues catching up for lost time when his career went backwards? Not even those who don’t like him can surly blame him for that
    Agreed. If moving up the league ladder is chasing the cash then he’s guilty as charged. The laddie is ambitious and moved to a bigger club each time. Nobody can justifiably criticise him for that, surely?
    This is how it feels

Interesting views on Nisbet.

Nobody was suggesting he was chasing the cash when he turned down Hearts when they came in at the last minute. He took his pay cut like everyone else and was happy to do his bit when he joined. He stuck to his word about joining Hibs when he was disappointed his move fell through. Good guy in my book.

I get the bit about the connection but in my amateur opinion, he's our best player and I'll be disappointed never to got to have watched him in person.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    Celtic won’t win the league with Nisbet. If they want to shell out £4m for him to sit on their bench then they’re more than welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was my thinking, the hoardes will want a big name player, if Celtc were to sign Nisbet and give Griffiths another deal and Angi will be seen of by the green brigade

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Interesting views on Nisbet.

Nobody was suggesting he was chasing the cash when he turned down Hearts when they came in at the last minute. He took his pay cut like everyone else and was happy to do his bit when he joined. He stuck to his word about joining Hibs when he was disappointed his move fell through. Good guy in my book.

I get the bit about the connection but in my amateur opinion, he's our best player and I'll be disappointed never to got to have watched him in person.
    It's possible that he's not chasing the money as such, but chasing achievement. And achievement in his eyes is playing at as high a level as he can.

I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is and I'd have him sold if we're gonna get good money

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Agreed. If moving up the league ladder is chasing the cash then he’s guilty as charged. The laddie is ambitious and moved to a bigger club each time. Nobody can justifiably criticise him for that, surely?
    They can on here. Where is the replacement coming from? He was by far the best Scottish striker in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    It's possible that he's not chasing the money as such, but chasing achievement. And achievement in his eyes is playing at as high a level as he can.

I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is and I'd have him sold if we're gonna get good money
    And how good does he think he is? Good enough to play for Scotland at the Euros maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post

How good does he think he is?

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Nisbet isn't that young, so if he feels he needs to keep moving up the ladder, fair enough. We get 3rd and paid, he keeps developing.

@hibs.net private member
    Reading this thread you would think that Nisbet is the only player ever who wants to play at as high a level as possible and make a career out of the game, sorry to disappoint some but he is not the first and most certainly wont be the last, its the way of the world nowadays. The alternative is of course not to sign players who want to move to a higher level.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    Reading this thread you would think that Nisbet is the only player ever who wants to play at as high a level as possible and make a career out of the game, sorry to disappoint some but he is not the first and most certainly wont be the last, its the way of the world nowadays. The alternative is of course not to sign players who want to move to a higher level.
    Surely you must realise that Hibs fans understand this?

I don’t think anyone’s surprised or upset the fact that players want to better themselves. It’s the not even being here for 6 months before handing in a t’fer request then spitting the dummy when you don’t get your own way that is hard to stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    They can on here. Where is the replacement coming from? He was by far the best Scottish striker in the league.
    Maybe we unleash Ethan Laidlaw on the world?

I don’t think anyone has any issue with players wanting to better themselves - it’s when their desire to leave is either premature or disrespectful to Hibs that folk have an issue with.

We saw Steven Whittaker retire recently, who when he did so received unanimous good wishes from Hibs fans. He even managed to play for Rangers and still receive good wishes, because he acted and spoke with dignity throughout his entire career. We all accepted that Hibs were never going to be the pinnacle of his career but since he was respectful on his way up we were still there for him on his way back down, and who knows what the future might hold for him re coaching or managing.

I think some of these young lads could do with paying attention to what he did, even if it’s just down to thinking twice before sticking something on social media.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Exactly right. We have a guy who has moved up a league in each of the last 2 seasons and taken it all in his stride. He's the top Scottish scorer in our league, has been capped and scored against top class international opposition. That's outstanding and he's still only 24. Meanwhile the majority on here seem unconcerned that he may leave & other than the annual LG rumours there's not been a whisper of a replacement striker. I find that incomprehensible.

Coaching Staff
    Have you actually read this thread?

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Can’t understand why folk want Nisbet to leave because he wants to earn more elsewhere yet would gladly take LG back despite him hanging on at Celtic for the bigger wage and he would only come here if Celtic don’t want him. Ones 24 and likely to improve the others at the tail end of his career and there’s no guarantee he will be able to reproduce what he’s done in the past. I’d be delighted if LG came here but happier if KN stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    I get all that and tbh I don't blame him for doing it, sometimes there has to come a time when he says let's have one more year, develop a bit more and let the fans see what I can really do. Outwith his goals his game is far from complete and still has work to do but good luck to the lad wherever he goes except to Celtic.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Hardly anybody here wants him to leave, it's just that there appears to be many, like myself, who won't be devastated if he does.

He has scored plenty goals but he's also been fairly anonymous at times. We could say the same for some of our former favourite strikers, but there obviously hasn't been the same connection with the fans, nor have there been wonder goals of which the likes of Riordan and Griffiths were capable. This is what makes supporters desparate to keep forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Maybe we unleash Ethan Laidlaw on the world?
    Sounds like a plan to me

Left by mutual consent!
    Kevin Nisbet would do well to have a word with Marc McNulty. A guy who was making Scotland squads whilst at Hibs. Since he departed Easter Road, I’m not sure he’s had a sniff at a Scotland squad

Be nice to hear about some incomings sooner rather than later too...just realised its 3 weeks on Thurs till our 1st Euro tie

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Be nice to hear about some incomings sooner rather than later too...just realised its 3 weeks on Thurs till our 1st Euro tie
    The thing is we're in pretty good shape going in to that game. We haven't lost anyone of significance plus we have Mallan, Allan and Gullan back. I would rather we wait to bring the the right 2-3 players in that will improve us.

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    The thing is we're in pretty good shape going in to that game. We haven't lost anyone of significance plus we have Mallan, Allan and Gullan back. I would rather we wait to bring the the right 2-3 players in that will improve us.
    And young Mackay