hibs.net Messageboard

Page 83 of 423 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 12675
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not specifically regarding Porteous but you do realise scouts get things wrong? Shane Duffy? The Nigerian left back Hearts had? Josh Vela?
    Shane Duffy played over 122 games for Brighton, Vela played stacks of games for Bolton, both at a good level, do you honestly think Scouts were involved in their moves to Scotland ? More like clever work of agents

Ps, not sure about the hearts left back but a lot of their signings have been basket cases

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Porteous will be a top player and people will want to retract some of the statements about him in years to come. I’ve never know why some people have to be so negative to a player especially one of our own, some of the criticism he’s came in for is embarrassing. Yea he’s made mistakes as have plenty others but these seem to totally overshadow the very good young player he is. To the point of outgrowing us, I’ve never seen him say this so not sure what that’s all about but one things for sure he will end up at a bigger club than ours before his career ends.
    I think he’ll get a move because he’s still at the point where whoever is buying would be buying potential. Still think he’s got a long, long way to go to be a top player though (but suppose that depends how you define what a top player is).

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Shane Duffy played over 122 games for Brighton, Vela played stacks of games for Bolton, both at a good level, do you honestly think Scouts were involved in their moves to Scotland ? More like clever work of agents

Ps, not sure about the hearts left back but a lot of their signings have been basket cases
    Scouts is a bit of an umbrella term in football.

The footballing department at Hibs and specifically the person tasked with player identification would have watched Vela, if not in person then in many hours of video, before making the recommendation to sign him.

Do you think his agent just rang Hibs up and said do you fancy signing Josh and we signed him without due diligence (or scouting). Of course not.

The point being that footballing people make lots of errors when it comes to signings.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Yep, purely an opinion and I'm happy to accept that others are available.

I don't know much about Kerr's character. I haven't heard him give interviews in the aftermath of interest from Championship clubs, unlike Porteous. Kerr might have bigger ideas but as it stands he's at a smaller club - achieving a lot there, but at a smaller club nonetheless. Rather than take the biggest on offer right now, he might fancy that he'd get an opportunity at bigger still if he had a few years at Hibs first? Being at Hibs has helped get Porteous onto the fringes of the Scotland squad, Hanlon has been capped lately, as have Nisbet and Stevenson. Maybe that would help him get a better move in a few years? He'd also be able to tick the "play for club supported as a boy" box, one that Porteous ticked long ago.

Or, he might want to go straight to the ££££££. I just don't know. I do know that we'd offer him a few things that St Johnstone can't.

Do you believe that Porteous would be interested in knuckling down and improving at Hibs? I just don't see it, at some point over the past year part of his head already left imo. Whilst he clearly has very impressive attributes as a player, I've not known a Hibs defender to be so error prone (Benny Brazil being just before my time). I just think his time has come at Hibs and it's now about cashing in. If we could manage to get enough cash to secure Kerr and having something left over, I think we'd have won a watch.

All my opinion, and I'm not saying I'm right.
    Benny must have been before your time as he wasn’t the sort of player Porteous is, he was a combative midfielder too as well as a defender that played under several Hibs managers, all of them fine players, and he never made half the errors people seem to think he did. But enough of the 70s and 80s. You’re old enough to remember 2012-2014 I’m sure and if we are talking error prone liabilities at Hibs there are a few more there who did much more damage than Benny. I never seen him in a defence that chucked 7 away for example. Or 5 to Hearts. Same goes for Ryan Porteous.

I’ve no reason to doubt that Porteous wants to improve and as I like the lad I’d enjoy him continuing the trajectory at Hibs, that’s where I started this.

We appear to keep talking about Jason Kerr as his name gets chucked in as a mouth watering alternative when we already have a very good player two years younger than him and we’ve no idea of the market worth of either of them. As far as I know we’ve not been linked with him either. I’d rather no need for the replacement.

@hibs.net private member
    Porteous will be a top player and people will want to retract some of the statements about him in years to come. I’ve never know why some people have to be so negative to a player especially one of our own, some of the criticism he’s came in for is embarrassing. Yea he’s made mistakes as have plenty others but these seem to totally overshadow the very good young player he is. To the point of outgrowing us, I’ve never seen him say this so not sure what that’s all about but one things for sure he will end up at a bigger club than ours before his career ends.
    Spot on Porteous is still young and has a lot to learn. He needs someone beside him to rein him in and guide him . McGregor would be the player for that unfortunately the sands of time have caught up with him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Scouts is a bit of an umbrella term in football.

The footballing department at Hibs and specifically the person tasked with player identification would have watched Vela, if not in person then in many hours of video, before making the recommendation to sign him.

Do you think his agent just rang Hibs up and said do you fancy signing Josh and we signed him without due diligence (or scouting). Of course not.

The point being that footballing people make lots of errors when it comes to signings.
    Josh Vela fitted the type of player we were looking for at the time, he has obviously made a good living out of the game & has played at a good level, as has Duffy, Vela turned out to be pants but again played at a good level. I agree scouts do get things wrong and whether scouts or managerial team its part and parcel of the game and we have had a few through our doors. My vision of scouting is unearthing that hidden gem and enjoying them playing for us, hopefully, like the young lad Mackay we have just signed from Inverness

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlydelivery View Post
    That’s the post of today … the stick the laddie has been getting is horrific
    This place is crying out for a "like" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Porteous is barely good enough to get a game ahead of veteran Darren McGregor. If he thinks he's outgrown us then he needs a reality check.
    Yeh. Let's run him down over something that somebody says about him on here whether it's true or not.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Benny must have been before your time as he wasn’t the sort of player Porteous is, he was a combative midfielder too as well as a defender that played under several Hibs managers, all of them fine players, and he never made half the errors people seem to think he did. But enough of the 70s and 80s. You’re old enough to remember 2012-2014 I’m sure and if we are talking error prone liabilities at Hibs there are a few more there who did much more damage than Benny. I never seen him in a defence that chucked 7 away for example. Or 5 to Hearts. Same goes for Ryan Porteous.

I’ve no reason to doubt that Porteous wants to improve and as I like the lad I’d enjoy him continuing the trajectory at Hibs, that’s where I started this.

We appear to keep talking about Jason Kerr as his name gets chucked in as a mouth watering alternative when we already have a very good player two years younger than him and we’ve no idea of the market worth of either of them. As far as I know we’ve not been linked with him either. I’d rather no need for the replacement.
    Iggy, I very much agree with you about Mr Brazil. A good servant to Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This place is crying out for a "like" button.
    I’ve said this for years 👍

Coaching Staff
    [QUOTE=et_hibby;6591880]Iggy, I very much agree with you about Mr Brazil. A good servant to Hibs.
    He was 👍

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I’ve said this for years 👍
    Don’t you think it would make everything a bit thoughtless? It wouldn’t cultivate any conversation.

But would it contribute to my post count?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Don’t you think it would make everything a bit thoughtless? It wouldn’t cultivate any conversation.

But would it contribute to my post count?
    Na I think it would reduce some of the posts that add nothing other than to say I agree or something like that. Plus I like it when folk agree with me which doesn’t happen often 😂😂

@hibs.net private member
    Na I think it would reduce some of the posts that add nothing other than to say I agree or something like that. Plus I like it when folk agree with me which doesn’t happen often 😂😂
    Agree, in fact I dont, the easily offended on here (and there are many) will be offended if they dont get a like, please dont turn this place into a version of Facebook, a boak inducing place that I detest. If you like a post say so, if you dislike a post then say, induce conversation, dont stifle it no matter whether yeah or nut. Forums and particularly this place have been going a long time because of dialogue, exchange of thoughts, its healthy, likes just deduce, In my opinion
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 11-06-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Lago;6591971]
    Quote Originally Posted by et_hibby View Post
    Iggy, I very much agree with you about Mr Brazil. A good servant to Hibs.
    He was 👍
    Mebbes just me & my young perceiving everything mode at the time, but mebbes naw, benny, J T, A Sneddon, defo Hamilton, as I was in almost every crowd at every game, the number of times the crowd voiced their displeasure at certain players cos they were not at the standard of the team as a whole, & moves were broken down, possession lost goals conceded etc, as a youngster I remember certain players the crowd couldn’t take to, but none in my time surpassed the weekly disappointment dished out by mgr Millers love child B Hamilton.

PS anyone remember cup exit at tannadice due to Benny’s inexplicable hand baw? Or 85 pen shootout, he was #5 against tic to win?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Agree, in fact I dont, the easily offended on here (and there are many) will be offended if they dont get a like, please dont turn this place into a version of Facebook, a boak inducing place that I detest. If you like a post say so, if you dislike a post then say, induce conversation, dont stifle it no matter whether yeah or nut. Forums and particularly this place have been going a long time because of dialogue, exchange of thoughts, its healthy, likes just deduce, In my opinion
    Good post, an exchange of view's is healthy and the best way for folk to develop their opinion, this might offend some people, but there is nothing you can do about people looking to be offended, Let the I find that offensive types stick to facebook and twitter and keep with the open debates we have on this forum, anyway any news of any signings, potential or targets?

Blog Entries
    Great post! I am really so fed up with Hibs supporters constantly knocking young Hibs' players with top potential.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    Good post, an exchange of view's is healthy and the best way for folk to develop their opinion, this might offend some people, but there is nothing you can do about people looking to be offended, Let the I find that offensive types stick to facebook and twitter and keep with the open debates we have on this forum, anyway any news of any signings, potential or targets?
    Ive read various forums for years, not too sure about like buttons but text speak does my napper in, lolz 🤭
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 12-06-2021 at 06:38 AM.

Aberdeen signing a lad on loan from Brighton?

Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    Aberdeen signing a lad on loan from Brighton?
    We obviously said no 😉

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    https://twitter.com/reganhendry11/st...668184064?s=19

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    https://twitter.com/reganhendry11/st...668184064?s=19

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Wonder if he has his next move lined up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Wonder if he has his next move lined up now.
    Lots of Raith fans seem to think it's Hibs and for some reason there are loads of Jambos reckon he's ER bound. No idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Lots of Raith fans seem to think it's Hibs and for some reason there are loads of Jambos reckon he's ER bound. No idea why.
    Did I not read somewhere that Ipswich were sniffing about? Did or does his brother not play for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I can't see Kerr joining us. What would we offer him? He's just won the only 2 trophies we have a chance in, and will be playing in Europe with his current team in the upcoming season.

He'll get much more money down south or abroad. Unless he's a massive, massive Hibbie I think we've missed the boat on him.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I can't see Kerr joining us. What would we offer him? He's just won the only 2 trophies we have a chance in, and will be playing in Europe with his current team in the upcoming season.

He'll get much more money down south or abroad. Unless he's a massive, massive Hibbie I think we've missed the boat on him.
    He'll earn more money whilst playing for a bigger team who also happens to the team who supports.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    We obviously said no 😉
    Usually we show an interest and then Aberdeen sign them

He is, or certainly was, a big Hibs fan.

I imagine when players get older though and are professionals they stop properly supporting teams etc especially when playing against them.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

These are my thoughts too. I also don’t think we’d pay what St Johnstone would want.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    These are my thoughts too. I also don’t think we’d pay what St Johnstone would want.
    Wonder if we could sign someone on loan with a view to waiting until January to try and sign Kerr or sign him on a pre contract. If we have any interest at all of course.