hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 423 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t understand your last sentence.

If he is top quality he does an excellent job of hiding it when they play us, or any other game I’ve seen him in so far.
    When we played against them last weekend we deliberately played the ball wide even more than normal. Not much of our game came through Newell and Irvine. The reason for that is Campbell in my view. We had a tactic to keep the ball out off the middle of the park where he plays. Other analysts have mentioned this before. He is stronger than a Newell or Irvine in the 50/50 situations.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    How do you think we can improve? I always see us as being weak mentally and physically defensively compared to some other teams, St.Johnstone for example. We clearly have a better midfield and forwards, so surely it's something we are doing defensively that's losing us big games. Hopefully we can win this cup, but if we fail with the midfield and attack we have then there's something far wrong. Mcginn isn't the biggest attacking or defending set pieces either. Putting a solid centre half in would make us stronger in that department.
    I think you are wrong and doing the team and our back line a disservice.

You will see from this table we are stronger than St Johnstone over the piece.

Why do you have to pick particular players out too. So McGinn might to be the biggest but what about his 2 goals against them earlier in the season or his pass to Boyle to set up Nisbet or his cross for Doidge’s goal. Players have different attributes and they bring differing things to the team.

He has contributed loads, as have the other defenders.

I don’t see us being weaker mentality or physically. Our current league position tells you that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think nisbet may be off so griffiths ideal replacement on a free.
    Gallagher/Kerr walk into the starting line up infront of mcginn imo. Although chance Porteous leaves anyway.
    Alan Campbell replaces gogic, or Irvine if he doesn't extend his deal.
    Granted, good replacements if Nisbet and Porto are off.
    Can't agree on Campbell for Gogic who in my book is a contender for POTY.
    Probs not for Irvine either. Could Campbell link with Boyle and the strikers with slide rule passes? Not seen it. Allan gets in for that reason for me if Irvine does not sign on.
    What's the latest on that front? I wonder if JR is waiting to see how Allan gets on with his run of games for ICT. Teuchter pal who supports them says he has been ok but not raving about him. If Irvine stays, will Allan go?

My issue with Campbell is the development fee that would be required. If we could negotiate with Motherwell for say £100k up front and a one third sell on then fair enough, but otherwise I'd look elsewhere.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    When we played against them last weekend we deliberately played the ball wide even more than normal. Not much of our game came through Newell and Irvine. The reason for that is Campbell in my view. We had a tactic to keep the ball out off the middle of the park where he plays. Other analysts have mentioned this before. He is stronger than a Newell or Irvine in the 50/50 situations.
    Nah, there is no danger we were in any way scared of playing up against Campbell in the middle. He has been awful every time we’ve played them. Even when we played 442 with just Newell and Hallberg in the midfield away against them we destroyed them in the midfield.

If he was free I’d have him in the squad but not at the fee that is being talked about.

Nah, there is no danger we were in any way scared of playing up against Campbell in the middle. He has been awful every time we’ve played them. Even when we played 442 with just Newell and Hallberg in the midfield away against them we destroyed them in the midfield.

If he was free I’d have him in the squad but not at the fee that is being talked about.
    We will agree to disagree.

@hibs.net private member

I thought he was excellent against us when they won 2-0 at our place...and decent enough in the draw at the start of the season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    How do you think we can improve? I always see us as being weak mentally and physically defensively compared to some other teams, St.Johnstone for example. We clearly have a better midfield and forwards, so surely it's something we are doing defensively that's losing us big games. Hopefully we can win this cup, but if we fail with the midfield and attack we have then there's something far wrong. Mcginn isn't the biggest attacking or defending set pieces either. Putting a solid centre half in would make us stronger in that department.
    Fair enough, I think we could definitely do with another centre half but they'd have to be pretty good to come in and immediately displace McGinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Fair enough, I think we could definitely do with another centre half but they'd have to be pretty good to come in and immediately displace McGinn.
    We need one to push the incumbents anyway and improve our defensive options. Jason Kerr from what I have seen of him would boost our defence.

@hibs.net private member
    I don’t understand your last sentence.

If he is top quality he does an excellent job of hiding it when they play us, or any other game I’ve seen him in so far.
    How many games have you seen him in out of interest?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    How many games have you seen him in out of interest?
    I haven’t counted.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Agreed with others on this. He’s not even a standout in the st Mirren team in general play.
    McGrath rumoured to be of interest to Peterborough now who are Championship bound so he's probably out of our reach either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I think you are wrong and doing the team and our back line a disservice.

You will see from this table we are stronger than St Johnstone over the piece.

Why do you have to pick particular players out too. So McGinn might to be the biggest but what about his 2 goals against them earlier in the season or his pass to Boyle to set up Nisbet or his cross for Doidge’s goal. Players have different attributes and they bring differing things to the team.

He has contributed loads, as have the other defenders.

I don’t see us being weaker mentality or physically. Our current league position tells you that!

It’s balls into the box which end up in back of the net from headers that were partly our downfall in both semis and Tony Watt exposed the same failing again
    Teams in the Cup will be waste of that and use it as a tactic
    So somehow we need to work on finding a way to try not to concede from crosses Mcgregor if younger and fitter would be solution

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    It’s balls into the box which end up in back of the net from headers that were partly our downfall in both semis and Tony Watt exposed the same failing again
    So somehow we need to work on finding a way to try not to concede from crosses Mcgregor if younger and fitter would be solution

Would he? We lost plenty goals from crosses with him playing. Including the Scottish cup final in 2016. Working harder to retain possession and prevent crosses is the answer, not mcgregor.

Blog Entries
    That's a huge leap of faith there. We play the ball wide even more because we're concerned about a Motherwell midfield player? More concerned than about Scott Brown, Glen Kamara and Lewis Ferguson? I actually commented on Jonnyboy's match report that I thought we moved the ball forward more quickly than usual in the 1st 25 minutes. I very much doubt however that had anything to do with Campbell's presence & much more with letting our prolific front 3 get at their defence.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Would he? We lost plenty goals from crosses with him playing. Including the Scottish cup final in 2016. Working harder to retain possession and prevent crosses is the answer, not mcgregor.
    Stopping crosses has been our issue for years. We deal with 90% of balls into our box fine, the issue is when you allow so many, you are inevitably going to lose a few goals or chances from them.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I had genuinely never heard of Jamie McGrath until on this thread yesterday
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

What type of goals do our opponents lose?

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    That's a huge leap of faith there. We play the ball wide even more because we're concerned about a Motherwell midfield player? More concerned than about Scott Brown, Glen Kamara and Lewis Ferguson? I actually commented on Jonnyboy's match report that I thought we moved the ball forward more quickly than usual in the 1st 25 minutes. I very much doubt however that had anything to do with Campbell's presence & much more with letting our prolific front 3 get at their defence.
    We will agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    He has been talked up a lot this season and appears to be a talisman for St. Mirren. Can't say I've watched him closely over the course of a game but from the the highlights I've seen he has good technique and has racked up some very decent stats for a bottom six club.

St Mirren look like they have a cracking young player in Jay Henderson, was very impressed with him the other night and can see why they have him in the first team already.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    St Mirren look like they have a cracking young player in Jay Henderson, was very impressed with him the other night and can see why they have him in the first team already.
    I reckon we copy whatever st mirren do in their youth set up. Suppose being the third team in Glasgow has its advantages, some amount of players came through there over the years

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I reckon we copy whatever st mirren do in their youth set up. Suppose being the third team in Glasgow has its advantages, some amount of players came through there over the years
    They play them on a regular basis, from a young age

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    He is 24 and won back to back titles for Dundalk in Ireland before signing for St Mirren 15 months ago. He is out of contract at the end of next season but teams including Peterboro and Aberdeen are interested according to the usual media which could obviously be total keek or agent leak.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 29-04-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    They play them on a regular basis, from a young age
    Because they have to. So it works out for them in some cases. Same goes for other teams lower down the league. Hibs dont have to take as many chances on youth as other teams do..... I know you know this by the way, just incase you thought i was trying to teach my granny to suck eggs!

Summer 2021-22 transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    What type of goals do our opponents lose?
    Have no idea an only concerned about my team trying to improve
    But I do recall McGinn putting in a great cross that Doidge bulleted in with his head v Motherwell

Last edited by Ronniekirk; 29-04-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Have no idea an only concerned about my team trying to improve
    But I do recall McGinn putting in a great cross that Doidge bulleted in with his head v Motherwell

If that happens against us it’s cos Hanlon and Porteous can’t defend.

When it happens to Gallagher at Motherwell, it’s cos of the great cross and Doidges movement.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    If that happens against us it’s cos Hanlon and Porteous can’t defend.

When it happens to Gallagher at Motherwell, it’s cos of the great cross and Doidges movement.
    The difference with the one Motherwell scored against us was the ball was high in the air a long time but Boyle was behind Watt Although the difference in size of players was a mis match

The Mcnulty goal v the sheep was a belter one v four and he won it easily

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The difference with the one Motherwell scored against us was the ball was high in the air a long time but Boyle was behind Watt Although the difference in size of players was a mis match

The Mcnulty goal v the sheep was a belter one v four and he won it easily

Think it was the centre half Edwards rather than Mcnulty who scored the headed goal in that game.