hibs.net Messageboard

Page 235 of 423 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245285335 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,050 of 12675
    madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because their is so little money in the Scottish game our players can be picked up on the cheap. English clubs in particular know we need the money. Villa robbed us for McGinn; he could up moving for fifty million.
    Don't sell the player then. Would you want to move to a club that is trying to get you on the cheap?

I would seriously question what I mean to them especially at Josh's age - if Sheffield United can spend £23m on Brewster (a Liverpool U23 player) and £17m on McBurnie you need to question why these English teams are squabbling over a couple of million. They throw millions away with expensive record breaking poor signings, get relegated and lose millions through mismanagement and yet squabble over a couple of million for a talented driven youngster from Scotland.

Josh should stay at Hibs if this is their attitude. He'll be a number and nothing else. Tell them to gtf if they don't pay the going rate and properly show their interest in Doig (not just treat him as another catch in their net).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    If an employer was trying to poach me and was offering 3, 4, 5, maybe ten times my salary I wouldn't care a jot

Near enough every one on earth would think the same

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    If an employer was trying to poach me and was offering 3, 4, 5, maybe ten times my salary I wouldn't care a jot

Near enough every one on earth would think the same

That’s exactly why so many players fail down south. Too much money far too soon. Ravel Morrison is a classic example. Skill and talent and a complete car crash of a career. I’m sure his bank balance is ok as long as he’s not been an idiot but his career is insignificant and pretty pointless.

Closer to home, Garry O’Connor.

Can’t always be driven by money and too much money too soon, especially with footballers, can be very very damaging without proper care.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    That’s exactly why so many players fail down south. Too much money far too soon. Ravel Morrison is a classic example. Skill and talent and a complete car crash of a career. I’m sure his bank balance is ok as long as he’s not been an idiot but his career is insignificant and pretty pointless.

Closer to home, Garry O’Connor.

Can’t always be driven by money and too much money too soon, especially with footballers, can be very very damaging without proper care.
    The other side of the coin is its generally short career that can be ended by injury at any point

Again I'd wager almost anyone on this board would move to another UK based company for double there salary.

I'd imagine Doig will get more than that thrown at him

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    The other side of the coin is its generally short career that can be ended by injury at any point

Again I'd wager almost anyone on this board would move to another UK based company for double there salary.

What if this UK based company treated you like garbage or sent you to work with one of their business partners who are complete amateurs?

Doig should do what is right for his football. He should continue to enjoy and improve his football.

Tainting a dream with money.

I’d wager many on this board grew up wanting to play for Hibs or Scotland or some football team and most didn’t think about money.

Most lose their way when money becomes their main focus. Number of very talented players that go to the EPL and fall away to nothing. Many sad stories of players burning through their wealth and being left with nothing after their short football career.

There is a reason the club have mentioned welfare for Josh multiple times. He has to be mentally ready for that and not let the money consume him.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Don't sell the player then. Would you want to move to a club that is trying to get you on the cheap?

I would seriously question what I mean to them especially at Josh's age - if Sheffield United can spend £23m on Brewster (a Liverpool U23 player) and £17m on McBurnie you need to question why these English teams are squabbling over a couple of million. They throw millions away with expensive record breaking poor signings, get relegated and lose millions through mismanagement and yet squabble over a couple of million for a talented driven youngster from Scotland.

Josh should stay at Hibs if this is their attitude. He'll be a number and nothing else. Tell them to gtf if they don't pay the going rate and properly show their interest in Doig (not just treat him as another catch in their net).
    Well put. Like Mathie said, if Doig was playing in league one down there which is probably a lower level than the Premiership, he'd be worth 10 million plus. English clubs take the utter piss out of non old firm clubs because they know money is tight for us.

Interesting, almost feels like Hibs were trying to start a bidding war

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    An injury could scupper a transfer, though. He's leaving, I just want a fair fee that could improve the team.
    Might never happen though the longer this drags oot the more and more unlikely a move looks

Remember John McGinn at Asteras cared not a jot just went out and played his heart out

HIBS come first if they want him just pay the going rate

JR says the boy is quite happy and he probably just wants to play fitba

Remember what it was like being 19?

Fu#k them and play him especially if there are no offers that are acceptable

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    JR still saying it’s likely Doig will go and it’s just the “final part that matters”. Whatever that means.

https://t.co/QsQ6tVyXcH

I reckon we are trying to sort out a loan back.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Whilst I fully agree with the sentiment, I can say with a degree of certainty I wouldn’t move to some backwater town in middle England for double my salary. I’m always surprised to see footballers go to these **** places for slightly more astronomical sums of money than they would get by moving somewhere decent.

If I was Josh I’d be telling my agent it’s London or nothing. **** going to live in Burnley or Hull or the like when you’re 19.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    JR still saying it’s likely Doig will go and it’s just the “final part that matters”. Whatever that means.

I would guess it means fee and salary being agreed and Josh making a decision.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

I guess it's getting the deal with the buying club completed

Not sure why it's not progressed since the weekend.

My guess would be its been verbally agreed in principle with no progress from there

I would have liked him to still be part of the squad for our games this week but understandable they don’t want to risk injury etc if it’s a big money move.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I reckon we are trying to sort out a loan back.
    From what I’ve heard of it’s either West Ham or Bournemouth he’s going straight to Nottingham forest on loan for the season

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Whilst I fully agree with the sentiment, I can say with a degree of certainty I wouldn’t move to some backwater town in middle England for double my salary. I’m always surprised to see footballers go to these **** places for slightly more astronomical sums of money than they would get by moving somewhere decent.

If I was Josh I’d be telling my agent it’s London or nothing. **** going to live in Burnley or Hull or the like when you’re 19.
    I'd move near enough anywhere for double my salary

Never mind triple or more

Maybe the London clubs aren't keen?

A year or 2 in a 'backwater' town playing for Premier league Burnley would do your career (and Bank balance) no harm at all

Hull was also a stepping stone to get Andy Robertson where he is now

It will be very interesting where Josh ends up

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

A year or 2 in a 'backwater' town playing for Premier league Burnley would do your career (and Bank balance) no harm at all

I’ve never been to the places mentioned but I’m pretty sure even the worst of places in England have got nice areas close enough by that’ll be commutable.

Guys already at these clubs and earning £20k plus a week aren’t living in slums.

I guess it's getting the deal with the buying club completed

Not sure why it's not progressed since the weekend.

My guess would be its been verbally agreed in principle with no progress from there

I would assume Hibs have let any other interested parties know where they are and allowing them time to either get back or lose out, there's been at least 4 clubs mentioned one way or another.

Thing is you don't have to live in these towns, there's some really nice little towns and villages outside they can live, many of the top Man U and city players all live in the Cheshire area.

Gamer IDs

Whatever happens with Doig is really apparent that very little comes out of Hibs these days

Its annoying not getting info ahead of time but I'm glad it's the way we are being run

I just hope Hibs are actually doing the right thing by him and not just talking a good game.

We wouldn’t force him out, would we?

I mean - of our best players, the ones being linked with moves away, he’s arguably the most dispensable given we’ve got cover for his position. The money for him could be earmarked for anything from strengthening the team to helipads etc.

I hate to think of us effectively forcing a young lad out who has given us his all and is happy playing for us.

(FWIW I don’t think this is likely, just putting it out there as a possible alternative explanation for what is going on, something none of us seem to know much about.)

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I just hope Hibs are actually doing the right thing by him and not just talking a good game.

I mean - of our best players, the ones being linked with moves away, he’s arguably the most dispensable given we’ve got cover for his position. The money for him could be earmarked for anything from strengthening the team to helipads etc.

I hate to think of us effectively forcing a young lad out who has given us his all and is happy playing for us.

(FWIW I don’t think this is likely, just putting it out there as a possible alternative explanation for what is going on, something none of us seem to know much about.)
    I think it is highly unlikely!

Also, he's hardly going to have to be forced into the eyes of moves being discussed. Absolutely life changing.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Whatever happens with Doig is really apparent that very little comes out of Hibs these days

Its annoying not getting info ahead of time but I'm glad it's the way we are being run

You reckon? I was thinking hibs have let more slip about Doig potentially leaving than I’ve heard hibs letting slip in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I think it is highly unlikely!

Also, he's hardly going to have to be forced into the eyes of moves being discussed. Absolutely life changing.
    I’d agree - however, the phrase “life changing” is banded about as if it is a positive.

What if he felt his life was pretty much perfect and didn’t need changing? Earning more than enough to afford everything he needs, playing well at a good level, knows he could probably benefit from playing at that level for a little bit longer before moving to a higher level, maybe he has a girlfriend he wouldn’t want to move away from?

For all it’s a short career etc, not everyone is driven totally by money.
    Last edited by Smartie; 05-08-2021 at 08:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    You reckon? I was thinking hibs have let more slip about Doig potentially leaving than I’ve heard hibs letting slip in the past
    I think Hibs have let slip what they decided to let slip.

There may have been one or two who want him and Hibs decided that draggin on is unfair on him (and us) and have given the situation a wee nudge.

It seems pretty deliberate to me, and if it gets us the best possible deal then thats just dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post

I think he means coming from inside sources and not as is now, coming directly from the club itself, we get very few in the know posters posting real titbits. I used to get stuff from ex players and from Tam McCourt but that all seems to have been tightened up this past couple of years.

Coaching Staff
    I’d agree - however, the phrase “life changing” is banded about as of it is a positive.

What if he felt his life was pretty much perfect and didn’t need changing? Earning more than enough to afford everything he needs, playing well at a good level, knows he could probably benefit from playing at that level for a little bit longer before moving to a higher level, maybe he has a girlfriend he wouldn’t want to move away from?

For all it’s a short career etc, not everyone is driven totally by money.
    That might be true but he is comfortable at the moment in the sense that a mid level manager at a financial services company might be comfortable, which is lovely but a move to the type of clubs being discussed would transform his life into comfortable for a millionaire territory and beyond that if he develops well.

It is also, career wise, something that will help challenge and develop him so not entirely about the reward side of it.

But yes, he may be someone who doesn't care about any of that but I would say anyone turning down that type of opportunity would be hard to find.

Absolutely not.

Mathie gave an interview the other week and basically said he wants to make sure it’s not the easy option I.e gets a move but goes straight into the 23’s and is never seen again.

He was quite adamant that the club want Josh to get the best possible deal and that the club he goes to have their best intentions for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    That might be true but he is comfortable at the moment in the sense that a mid level manager at a financial services company might be comfortable, which is lovely but a move to the type of clubs being discussed would transform his life into comfortable for a millionaire territory and beyond that if he develops well.

It is also, career wise, something that will help challenge and develop him so not entirely about the reward side of it.

But yes, he may be someone who doesn't care about any of that but I would say anyone turning down that type of opportunity would be hard to find.
    I’m not sure his situation necessarily equates to that of a middle aged man with a “conventional” career.

It’s more about the different “ages” of a footballer (or arguably any young man).

At the moment he’s still effectively a teenage laddie. He’ll have different priorities by 22/23, then again as he gets towards his later 30, then again as he gets into his early to mid thirties.

I just think that the value of having piles of cash but all sorts of negative stuff might be lost on someone at 19 who hadn’t played in the first team a year ago.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I think he means coming from inside sources and not as is now, coming directly from the club itself, we get very few in the know posters posting real titbits. I used to get stuff from ex players and from Tam McCourt but that all seems to have been tightened up this past couple of years.
    Ah right, that makes more sense