hibs.net Messageboard

Page 423 of 423 FirstFirst ... 323373413421422423
Results 12,661 to 12,675 of 12675
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve watched him a couple of times and been impressed. Worth reading the news item re his transfer on the RR club website.

He’s signed a four year deal with Hibs. Great prospect ��
    Sure is. 68 appearances at a decent level at 19 is promising too.

"Dylan (19) has made 68 appearances in total for the Rovers, scoring 8 goals, since making his debut at the end of the 2018-19 season away to Montrose in SPFL League One".
    Last edited by Since452; 01-09-2021 at 02:51 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

A good window overall.

We’ve kept our best players and signed several new ones which are better than what we had. And there’s long term thinking with young guys coming in.

The injury to Doidge was unfortunate and I’d have liked another striker, but you can’t have everything in life.

Overall 9/10. I’d have given Hibs 10/10 if Muller came in now rather than January.

Yours
    A non happy clapping reasonable Hibby with realistic expectations 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    It should be about improving the team, not just maintain. We stand still and other clubs will overtake us. We should be looking to add the right players to the what we already have. Build a team to finish 3rd again and win a cup.

Maybe this team is capable of that, but another striker should have been brought in. I think James Scott looks a decent player, but he’s not going to score regularly. I’m not a fan of moving Boyle out of position (I know, I know Boxing Day 2019), as we’re moving him from his preferred position. So anything happens to Nisbet, we’re in trouble for the first half of this season.

Having said all that, If Nisbet get through the first half of the season without any injuries etc, then we should be more than capable of challenging until the reinforcements arrive in January.
    I think our only gripe can be that of the striker we didn't get.

We did well enough last season, and there are plenty of reasons why we should be better this season - Nisbet, Doig, Porteous in particular are young players with a bit more experience under their belts. Magennis looks head and shoulders above the player he was last season. JDH looks a real find and whilst the midfield still flattered to deceive a wee bit at times last season, it looks the part this season.

The negatives compared to last season - Marciano leaves behind large gloves to fill. Doidge is a massive loss, hopefully we see something from him before the season is out.

We're a striker short and that may or may not bite us on the backside.

McGrath was a glorious last ditch piece of opportunism that sadly didn't come off, but no way should Hibs be criticised for what happened there. Would have been great to secure him, but...

I'm happy that we very nearly have what we need for the immediate challenges we face. An "out of contract" striker arriving after the window closes may be the last piece of the jigsaw.

Next challenge though - if we have a good season (as I expect us to) then we'll have vital European games next July/ August. Our manager needs more next year than he had this year. Next summer we need to make sure we have a good squad in place capable of punching above it's weight in Europe and trying to move us on a level.
    Last edited by Smartie; 01-09-2021 at 02:48 PM.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Some folk need to relax, all of our star men retained until January at least. Doidge back by December (maybe sooner?) New striker in January and I’m sure the club will be signing an out of contract striker as cover until Jan/end of season very soon. All in all quite pleased

I think it's been a good window. A few young lads too which shows a bit of forward thinking. Great to see. Would have loved to have got Nathan Wood permanently but we don't have a spare 9 million lying about.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Scrapping the transfer window would make things much better for the "elite" clubs. They're the ones with the money to go strengthen throughout the season, or to go steal players who're doing well from the smaller teams, or just steal players from any smaller team who's getting a little too close by the end of the season.
    So keep it in place for the elite leagues. Let the other countries who are not awash with tv money do some trading.

League of Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Denmark etc could benefit from buying/selling players to help throughout the season when injuries/suspensions kick in. It’s not like we’ll be shelling out millions

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Decent window. Shame about McGrath. All we can hope is Nisbet doesn't pick up an injury and we sail through to January time when Doidge should be making a comeback and Mueller arrives.

Left by mutual consent!
    People need to cool their jets on Doidge being back by January. It’s a bad injury he’s picked up. Even when he’s back he’ll not be firing on all cylinders. Also bound to pick up niggling injuries when he does come back.

@hibs.net private member
    For me this has been a fantastic window keeping hold of Doig, Porteous, Nisbet and Boyle on a contract extension and of course Nathan Wood coming in means the club are keeping hold of their best players while adding quality. It looks like long term thinking, full credit has to go to Ron Gordon and the board, it seems like the dark days of selling our best players then taking gambles on others are behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    So keep it in place for the elite leagues. Let the other countries who are not awash with tv money do some trading.

League of Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Denmark etc could benefit from buying/selling players to help throughout the season when injuries/suspensions kick in. It’s not like we’ll be shelling out millions
    Aye that would work right enough. Last two months of the season, Rangers or Celtic need a player or two for the league title, they're free to pillage every other club in the league.

That would go down well.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    There is also the possibility of giving a youngster a shot.

Josh O'Connor bagged a brace in their first League match, if he continues to score at that level he may get some game time in the first team. He has a good physique that probably gives him the advantage at the moment.
    Is Ethan Laidlaw not quite strong physically also? Would be good if we get a few really promising younger players pushing for places.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post

You've just highlighted the exact reasons why there are transfer windows.

It prevents the rich effectively stealing from the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Let’s all resolve to criticise fellow Hibs fans a little less. If some folk get a little, er, emotional after a setback, let it be.

Hibs.net is not just a place for witty, intelligent discourse. Sometimes it’s just about letting off steam.
    On the contrary - these cretins, particularly on social media should be getting called out more by decent people. I can only think what a potential signing would make of our platforms- it's not just people 'letting off steam' it is horrible trolls who normally have all kinds of 'I love Hibs' in their signatures and profiles being disgustingly abusive towards the club, the players and staff. It's not really about football its about human decency- but on a football level, why do these idiots hate their club so much?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Aye that would work right enough. Last two months of the season, Rangers or Celtic need a player or two for the league title, they're free to pillage every other club in the league.

That would go down well.
    From memory, pre windows, there was a cut-off near the end of the season, for that very reason.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    And we're done. Calm yourselves.