hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Mackie

Sean Mackie

Does anyone know what the deal is with him?

Came in earlier in the season and done very well, got injured and not been seen since.

Ross has said a couple of times he’s still out but does anyone know what the injury is?

It’s a very important time for him with his contract ending next summer and if Doig leaves this summer he should be doing his all to make it his spot.

He’s got the quality and physicality to do so if given a run of games Imo.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's been out for a long time now so it must have been a significant injury.
    The worry is it is connected to his previous injury which was a serious one.
    As ever Hibs haven't told us much.
    Little point rushing him back at this stage in he season.

Along with Magennis, Allan, Wright and Murphy he needs a good pre season and to move away from serious injuries. Potentially 5 new first team players right there.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 15-04-2021 at 12:24 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    If Doig leaves in the summer, we need another left back. I'd not be happy going forward with Mackie as first choice. I've no problem with him being a backup squad player.

I think Sean had a thigh injury which is just taking a while to get to 100% - think they are giving it longer to ensure it heals before he comes back in to games. No point rushing him back at the moment when we have cover.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I like Mackie. Perfect replacement for Doig and Stevenson. Athletic, but of pace and a good defender.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Mackie. Perfect replacement for Doig and Stevenson. Athletic, but of pace and a good defender.

I like him too, but so far this is mostly theoretical rather than proven. I wonder if he is a better midfielder than left back.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    But out injured more often than not

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    But out injured more often than not
    It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I like him too, but so far this is mostly theoretical rather than proven. I wonder if he is a better midfielder than left back.
    He’s done enough for me to prove he deserves a good go at it. By good go I mean a half a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I think Sean had a thigh injury which is just taking a while to get to 100% - think they are giving it longer to ensure it heals before he comes back in to games. No point rushing him back at the moment when we have cover.
    We have Doig and Lewis at LB, as you say no point rushing him.

I'd like to think Doig would stay another season minumum. He's not even played infront of fans yet.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    I'd like to think Doig would stay another season minumum. He's not even played infront of fans yet.
    If it’s not Doig, who is the 1 or 2 that the King of Spin is selling in the close season

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    If it’s not Doig, who is the 1 or 2 that the King of Spin is selling in the close season
    Nisbet you'd imagine would be 1, and I'd say Porteous and possibly even boyle could go? It's definitely too soon for young Doig imo, he should be looking to stay with us, try europe, derbys etc infront of crowds first before heading.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Is this a new one?

Coaching Staff
    King of Spin?

If Doig gets the chance of moving to a team in the premier league he should grab it with both hands Imo.

It’s an Absolutley massive opportunity and could transform his and his families life’s.

Stay at Hibs and he could get injured or have a huge dip in form.

Go down south and have the confidence to push on whilst earning a lot of money. Worst case scenario is he ends up back in Scotland in 3-4 years.

I get the argument for learning his trade but for me the gap and opportunity is huge and not to be sniffed at.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    If Doig gets the chance of moving to a team in the premier league he should grab it with both hands Imo.

It’s an Absolutley massive opportunity and could transform his and his families life’s.

Stay at Hibs and he could get injured or have a huge dip in form.

Go down south and have the confidence to push on whilst earning a lot of money. Worst case scenario is he ends up back in Scotland in 3-4 years.

I get the argument for learning his trade but for me the gap and opportunity is huge and not to be sniffed at.
    Agree with this

First Team Breakthrough
    Posts on this thread are exactly what I’ve been thinking about Sean Mackie.
    Can anybody advise me as to the date and game he last played.
    He’s certainly not a lucky laddie with injuries and disappointing loan moves.
    Not advisable to approach him if you see him standing outside a tall building in case a safe falls on your heads.
    I like Mackie and wish well for the future but what has happened to him up to now doesn’t fill me with optimism.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Mackie is a good player. When he got a run of games earlier this season he looked more than capable of owning the left back position. Hibs will know this as well which is why they are taking their time with this injury.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    King of Spin?
    Police, 1983?

5 months since this thread and almost 10 months since the injury and still no real news on Sean Mackie.
    Last I saw was a 6 word comment about 6 weeks ago from JR indicating his injury is long term.

Does anyone know what the injury is and more importantly where he is with regard to recovery and comeback.

Poor guy 10 months out a couple back and then another 10 out.
    He has had a tough time of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    5 months since this thread and almost 10 months since the injury and still no real news on Sean Mackie.
    Last I saw was a 6 word comment about 6 weeks ago from JR indicating his injury is long term.

Does anyone know what the injury is and more importantly where he is with regard to recovery and comeback.

This, I really rated him when I last saw him playing but the injury has kept him out for over a year anyway and Hibs haven't really said much about what's happening either. Good and relevant questions you've raised too, let's hope we get an answer to them soon.

Nothing whatsoever against the guy but I have seen little to suggest he has what it takes to play first team football for us.
    Be delighted to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

I suspect he will be released once fit.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Ha!

Despite the best efforts of those Hibs fans seemingly desperate to sell our most valuable players, none of them left this summer.

Who is the king of spin now?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nothing whatsoever against the guy but I have seen little to suggest he has what it takes to play first team football for us.
    Be delighted to be wrong.
    Did he not play at Ibrox in a draw or a narrow defeat, and make a great cross for our goal? I think he has at times showed up well, i also remember a decent performance against celtic at Easter road too, but then he's injured and out for a long time.

He must be worried about his future with so many long term ones.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Did he not play at Ibrox in a draw or a narrow defeat, and make a great cross for our goal? I think he has at times showed up well, i also remember a decent performance against celtic at Easter road too, but then he's injured and out for a long time.

He must be worried about his future with so many long term ones.
    Was speaking to him last night.

His injury is the same as he suffered the first time but on the other foot.

Could take three weeks or three months he says, just has to train as instructed.

Looks good FWIW.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I thought he looked pretty good the few times that I've seen him play.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Was speaking to him last night.

His injury is the same as he suffered the first time but on the other foot.

Could take three weeks or three months he says, just has to train as instructed.

Looks good FWIW.
    Thanks Scoop.
    If I remember correctly he tore the cartilage in his right ankle whilst at Dundee at the start of 2020 and didn't return to the Hibs team until almost 10 months later when he played in the League Cup against Forfar. Played against Dundee in the same competition in mid November.
    Stayed in the team and played 2 league games. To my eyes he was looking the business, very strong and athletic.
    From what you say he then tore the cartilage in his left ankle early in December 2020 and 9 months later he is still working hard with the physios and coaches to recover.
    That is tough going. The only saving grace is he didn't injure the same ankle
    His contract is up at the end of the season.
    Hope he can get fit soon.
    In a way nothing is lost given Doig is still at Hibs so no replacement has been signed so Sean could still be he guy.

Incidentally I noted last week that Lewis Vaughan of Raith Rovers has done his ACL for the 4th time!
    Left knee twice and right knee twice at the age of 25 is brutal stuff.
    Souter of Hearts has also had a hellish time with chronic injuries.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 07-09-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sean is an excellent player and is an obvious replacement for Doig if/when he goes. I agree , we need an update on his fitness status.