hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Archibald

Quote Originally Posted by ajf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he not start at Clyde ,or is my memory playing tricks ?
    Should've included them cos of The Scottish Cup Final.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Loved Archibald. Easily one of the best I've seen in green and white. As others rightly say, a class act and his footballing brain was on another level to most.

He's also good on Twitter, engages with fans and talks about his fond memories playing for us quite often...

EL rato blanklo

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    If enough people say it it's like to be true - Knew he had a pedigree but I also didn't have any idea how good he was until I saw him actually playing at ER.
    It's an odd thing trying to work out why a player like that is so good because so much of what he did was unfussed - he just knew where to be & when, & where
    everyone was around him.
    Just a great player.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Guy was a class act. Never forget his winner at Tynecastle. I have photos of the shot and his celebration framed and signed by the man himself. Imagine us bringing in a player of that quality and reputation nowadays, just wouldn’t happen.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Played for Hibs just before my time but just how good was he for those that watched him? Was he a one man show in a poor side? Seems incredible that we signed a player from Barcelona who'd scored 24 goals in 55 games for them. It must have been seen as a major coup back then.
    It was never a one man team with the likes of Mikey Weir, John Collins, Kano and Pat McGinley in the team and with Goram between the sticks. But Archie was simply head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch at times and not just the Hibs side. He had an incredible first touch and simply oozed class - a real pleasure to watch ARCHIE-GOALS!
    Last edited by basehibby; 16-04-2021 at 01:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    When he left, it scunnered me as a kid. He instantly became my favourite player when he signed.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Get this thread bumped up above a threat about Harry blummin Cochrane and whether he could do a job for us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Get this thread bumped up above a threat about Harry blummin Cochrane and whether he could do a job for us!!!
    Quite right

Singing in the rain at Tynie after that goal scored by Archie the Jinx Buster (anyone got the Hibs Monthly front page with him arms aloft?)

Come one seriously iconic player with iconic moments or a what appears
    To be a Hearts reject?!!! Make the only choice peeps!
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Singing in the rain at Tynie after that goal scored by Archie the Jinx Buster (anyone got the Hibs Monthly front page with him arms aloft?)
    Got this one if it helps?

Archiibald Goal.jpg
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Does anyone else remember the words to candle in the wind being reproduced in one of the fanzines as stranger on the wing

Goodbye stevie arch
    Though I never knew you at all.

Standing there
    Like a stranger on the wing.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    I was just out of the army in Sept 88, just in time for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqFqi-RAzWU

whit a player.
    His first goal for HIBS and that strip was a thing of beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post

Archiibald Goal.jpg
    That’s the one!
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Archiibald Goal.jpg
    Great photo

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

Archiibald Goal.jpg
    This is also the game where the entire Hibs support claimed they hugged Catherine Zeta Jones when celebrating Archie's goal, with her being a guest of big John Leslie in the Gorgie Road terrace

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    As a forward, his ,movement and positional sense was fantastic. That goal at Tynie will be long remembered.
    That goal, and the celebrations were unbelievable. I think for a goal there, only the celebrations of Paul Hanlon's equaliser would have come close since.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    That goal, and the celebrations were unbelievable. I think for a goal there, only the celebrations of Paul Hanlon's equaliser would have come close since.
    Garry O'Connor's late winner in the "we only need 10 men" Derby was also pretty mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This is also the game where the entire Hibs support claimed they hugged Catherine Zeta Jones when celebrating Archie's goal, with her being a guest of big John Leslie in the Gorgie Road terrace
    Archibald was an outstanding player when we signed him. He was on a totally different level imho. His movement and ability to find discs was superb.

His goal against Hearts at Tiny Park was unbelievable and when it hit the net the place went nuts.

That evening is the drunkest I have every seen my dad. Me, my 2 brothers and 4 mates celebrated with him until the following day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    He always looked like he had space and time on the ball. His control of the ball was second to none. An arrogant bugger of a man who’d turn up to matches on his own driving a brown Rolls Royce if memory serves but what a player he was.

The type you don’t mind paying to watch unlike some of the pretenders who masquerade as footballers nowadays!

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    His first goal for HIBS and that strip was a thing of beauty
    He scored two on his debut against Stranraer at ER. Strip is a peach though

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    He scored two on his debut against Stranraer at ER. Strip is a peach though
    First League goal then

It might be difficult for the younger generation to understand the scale of the Archibald signing at the time. He was a player who was a very clever footballer, not your 30 goals a season player like Harry Kane, but still a very good striker.

He was very effective at Aberdeen, before an £800k move to Spurs, where he finished the top scorer in the First Division (now Premier League) and won the FA Cup in his first season there. He won a second FA Cup in 1982 and then the UEFA Cup in 1984, where he scored his penalty in the final as Spurs overcame Anderlecht in a shootout.

In 1984, he joined Barcelona for £1,150,000, where in his first season he helped them win the La Liga title for the first time in 11 years. He then helped Barça reach the European Cup final in 1986, only to lose on penalty kicks to Steaua Bucharest. He was a popular figure at the Camp Nou until restrictions on fielding foreign players led to him being excluded from the squad in favour of Gary Lineker and Mark Hughes. After a spell loaned out to Blackburn Rovers he returned to Scotland in 1988 to sign for Hibernian.

Think of it, playing a central role in the final of the major European trophy and then signed for Hibs two years later. He was an exceptional talent, albeit 32 when he joined us and his career was obviously on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    It might be difficult for the younger generation to understand the scale of the Archibald signing at the time. He was a player who was a very clever footballer, not your 30 goals a season player like Harry Kane, but still a very good striker.

He was very effective at Aberdeen, before an £800k move to Spurs, where he finished the top scorer in the First Division (now Premier League) and won the FA Cup in his first season there. He won a second FA Cup in 1982 and then the UEFA Cup in 1984, where he scored his penalty in the final as Spurs overcame Anderlecht in a shootout.

In 1984, he joined Barcelona for £1,150,000, where in his first season he helped them win the La Liga title for the first time in 11 years. He then helped Barça reach the European Cup final in 1986, only to lose on penalty kicks to Steaua Bucharest. He was a popular figure at the Camp Nou until restrictions on fielding foreign players led to him being excluded from the squad in favour of Gary Lineker and Mark Hughes. After a spell loaned out to Blackburn Rovers he returned to Scotland in 1988 to sign for Hibernian.

Think of it, playing a central role in the final of the major European trophy and then signed for Hibs two years later. He was an exceptional talent, albeit 32 when he joined us and his career was obviously on the way down.
    And his success at Barca was all the more remarkable given the shoes he was signed to fill. Maradona's.

First League goal then
    Fairly sure he scored in a 1 nil win midweek game at Love Street in mid September 1988 which was a good couple of weeks before the Celtc game.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    Fairly sure he scored in a 1 nil win midweek game at Love Street in mid September 1988 which was a good couple of weeks before the Celtc game.

Nope

Gareth Evans

I know the game you mean though best performance I have ever seen from a goalkeeper

Andy Goram was totally outstanding on a stormy windswept night at Love Street

Steve Archibald played his part in holding up the ball and retaining possession as the Saintees pumelled us

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Funny enough he served his time with R R and went on to own one
    Brought his Rolls Royce to the games.

The type of signing we just don’t make anymore, was so excited when he signed and was at Tynie for THAT GOAL.

Nope

Gareth Evans

I know the game you mean though best performance I have ever seen from a goalkeeper

Andy Goram was totally outstanding on a stormy windswept night at Love Street

Steve Archibald played his part in holding up the ball and retaining possession as the Saintees pumelled us
    Thanks BILLYHIBS. Memory cells are starting to evaporate. Thanks for reminding me about the weather and the performance. All I can mainly remember from that game is being in sheer pain from twisting my ankle chronically on the the crap Love Street terracing and somehow managing to hobble to Gilmour Street station to catch the last train.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    Thanks BILLYHIBS. Memory cells are starting to evaporate. Thanks for reminding me about the weather and the performance. All I can mainly remember from that game is being in sheer pain from twisting my ankle chronically on the the crap Love Street terracing and somehow managing to hobble to Gilmour Street station to catch the last train.

👍🏿